Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Based off observational data, 100% of self proclaimed sugar addicts, who claim they cannot moderate their sugar intake, later admit they can indeed moderate all sorts of sugars and sugary food stuffs. Why is this?

The alternate hypothesis is they are just ignorant and don't actually know what sugar is and just claim they are addicted to it as an excuse as to why they can't meet any of their goals.

Also how come "sugar addicts" always mention cookies, cakes, brownies etc when they also contain a good amount of fat, how did they discern it wasn't the combination of ingredients or the fat, it was the sugar?

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not. But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

My son loves all the cookies, cupcakes, doughnuts and cakes and will eat butter straight up but has yet to dip a spoon into the sugar bowl. He's kind of a weirdo.
    When I was a kid, I ate sugar sandwiches, but I needed butter to keep the sugar from falling out. Good times.

Did you make the sandwiches with bread or cookies?

My brother used to pour sugar straight into his milk because he didn't like the texture of cereal.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Giggle. I knew this would turn good.

It's just getting started. No sugar addicts have shown up yet.

They'll even come with a diagnosis: Hyper-sucrose dependency.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I personally do not think this is actually sugar in it self. It is a behavior to grab the bag, the box or container of something yummy already processed and ready to eat.. ie Twinkiis, donuts, hostess cakes, chocolate, potato chips, cheetos, doritos, and again cookies, ho ho's, they are at an arms length anywhere and everywhere, gas station, vending machines, right there at the checkout counter, they are even displayed in the Toilet Tissue isle...

When I was a kid I did this with homemade cookies.

In fact, I distinctly recall enjoying the mixture of just butter and sugar, although that sounds disgusting now. (Oddly enough, I wasn't fat as a child and also didn't have a huge sweet tooth in general--I hated sugary cereal (still do, don't see why people like that stuff, ugh), and by about age 10 would have said that my favorite food was steak, followed by salmon.

Why do people always assume that we are talking only about foods that one can buy at the gas station?

Humans like sweet tastes. It's natural. Doesn't make it an addiction, of course.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    TX_Rhon wrote: »
    My opinion is never popular. I hate when someone compares the fact that they cannot say no to a donut the same as an alcoholic or someone addicted to drugs. It is not the same thing! At all!

I can relate a bit to their justification because I did the same thing, well not with "detoxing sugar" but with the justification of why I could not lose weight. Then one day, I friggin' wanted it bad enough and stopped the justification. /endrant

Though not the same, it is the same mindset. 70% mental. (of course, there are physical risks when coming off alcohol)

If you want something bad enough, you make it happen.

edited for typo.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Based off observational data, 100% of self proclaimed sugar addicts, who claim they cannot moderate their sugar intake, later admit they can indeed moderate all sorts of sugars and sugary food stuffs. Why is this?

The alternate hypothesis is they are just ignorant and don't actually know what sugar is and just claim they are addicted to it as an excuse as to why they can't meet any of their goals.

Also how come "sugar addicts" always mention cookies, cakes, brownies etc when they also contain a good amount of fat, how did they discern it wasn't the combination of ingredients or the fat, it was the sugar?

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not. But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

True, but I don't know too many people downing sugar by the spoonful. So there's more to it than JUST sweetness

Maybe it's the combination of the sweetness AND the fats (note that both frosting & cupcake filling also have fat).

That's the point the OP was making--that the foods mentioned usually have both. I was just pointing out that people will generally recognize the sweet craving over the fat craving.

Please discuss

Except they blame not being able to moderate those products, not because they taste sweet but because they contain sugar

I'm not sure where you are going here. Don't you think that most people associate sugar with sweetness?

But if you were to say i'm addicted to sugar that doesn't also mean i'm addicted to sweetness, even though they may be associated. They claim to be addicted to an actual compound, not a taste

I think that a lot, if not most, people in the world use "sugar" and "sweetness" interchangeably.

So they are ignorant?

Back on topic, find me a self proclaimed sugar addict that cannot moderate their intake of all sugars
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not.

But I've certainly heard people say "mmm, love the buttery taste of those cookies."

Also, if you want the sweet taste, why not shovel some plain sugar from the bag? No one does that. People like sugar when combined deliciously with cream or butter or fat. (And interestingly enough, lots of us find fat combined with salt even more appealing.)

Hmm.
    But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

Just the frosting? Not so commonly, no. The cupcake as a whole? Sure.

Well lots of candy is fat free, so I'm not sure that it's just sugar + fat.

Hard candies? Is anyone really that into those? I suppose some might be. For me if you are talking about foods that would be hard to moderate I think cookies, brownies, cake, pie, ice cream, etc. I can moderate those, for the most part, but I see the struggle. Hard candies, blah.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    IN for cookies, cakes AND brownies!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I personally do not think this is actually sugar in it self. It is a behavior to grab the bag, the box or container of something yummy already processed and ready to eat.. ie Twinkiis, donuts, hostess cakes, chocolate, potato chips, cheetos, doritos, and again cookies, ho ho's, they are at an arms length anywhere and everywhere, gas station, vending machines, right there at the checkout counter, they are even displayed in the Toilet Tissue isle...

When I was a kid I did this with homemade cookies.

In fact, I distinctly recall enjoying the mixture of just butter and sugar, although that sounds disgusting now. (Oddly enough, I wasn't fat as a child and also didn't have a huge sweet tooth in general--I hated sugary cereal (still do, don't see why people like that stuff, ugh), and by about age 10 would have said that my favorite food was steak, followed by salmon.

Why do people always assume that we are talking only about foods that one can buy at the gas station?

Humans like sweet tastes. It's natural. Doesn't make it an addiction, of course.

I also loved butter and sugar as a child. When my mom was baking, I would always try to steal as much of that mixture as I could. Fat mixed with sugar has always been my favorite. I don't really care about sugar alone. I was always the girl who was taking the frosting everyone else scraped off their cake.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Apparently, it's sugar day. I missed the memo. I like sugar.

I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and say that a lot of people must have spent their weekend watching Fed Up on Netflix.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of studies regarding the link between sugar and dopamine... Not that those studies change anything but there is science behind someone saying they are "addicted" to sugar.

I started at almost 300lbs... and have NEVER started a thread saying I was addicted to sugar or fat or any of that...

like someone said...
    Then one day, I friggin' wanted it bad enough and stopped the justification.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options

Please discuss

Except they blame not being able to moderate those products, not because they taste sweet but because they contain sugar

I don't blame any one componont for overindulging in something. I suppose I am "addicted" to cream, sugar, vanila, because I do love me some ice cream.

I call BS on any food "addiction"

I agree and I call BS on any food "addiction" as well!
    If this is true than yay me... I choose to eat healthy/clean foods so I guess I am addicted to that. It's got nothing to do with addiction and everything to do with will power and/or discipline. If you want to give up sugar, give up sugar. If you like it, eat it.

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think most of them haven't been crucified enough in forums yet to understand the difference. Probably easier to say "addicted to sugar" instead of "I can't control myself when I am handed a plate of sweets", while unaware that there are forum people out there waiting to pounce on them for using the "a" word or the "s" word.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    My opinion is never popular. I hate when someone compares the fact that they cannot say no to a donut the same as an alcoholic or someone addicted to drugs. It is not the same thing! At all!

I can relate a bit to their justification because I did the same thing, well not with "detoxing sugar" but with the justification of why I could not lose weight. Then one day, I friggin' wanted it bad enough and stopped the justification. /endrant

Yes to all of this, and your opinion is popular with me. I even saw someone who claimed her doctor compared her sugar addiction to heroin addiction! (Here's hoping this doctor is unable to prescribe opiates.)

And one day I wanted to be thin more than I wanted to eat too many cookies. I still eat them, but I am able to stop at one, which never happened before.

I think everyone talking about fat up above is missing an important point: you don't crave the fat exactly, but it does give the cookies, etc a really lovely texture. Kinda like that found in nature's cupcake, come to think of it.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not.

But I've certainly heard people say "mmm, love the buttery taste of those cookies."

Also, if you want the sweet taste, why not shovel some plain sugar from the bag? No one does that. People like sugar when combined deliciously with cream or butter or fat. (And interestingly enough, lots of us find fat combined with salt even more appealing.)

Hmm.
    But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

Just the frosting? Not so commonly, no. The cupcake as a whole? Sure.

Well lots of candy is fat free, so I'm not sure that it's just sugar + fat.

Hard candies? Is anyone really that into those? I suppose some might be. For me if you are talking about foods that would be hard to moderate I think cookies, brownies, cake, pie, ice cream, etc. I can moderate those, for the most part, but I see the struggle. Hard candies, blah.

Jelly beans, gummy candies, licorice, swedish fish all kinds of chewy candies are basically sugar. I am more likely to graze on candies than cookies.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Looks like the sugar addicts are staying away.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Please discuss

True, but I don't know too many people downing sugar by the spoonful. So there's more to it than JUST sweetness

Maybe it's the combination of the sweetness AND the fats (note that both frosting & cupcake filling also have fat).

Hyper palatable foods...

but sugar is an easier boogeyman

Add some salty in there, and I'm in heaven!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Please discuss

My son loves all the cookies, cupcakes, doughnuts and cakes and will eat butter straight up but has yet to dip a spoon into the sugar bowl. He's kind of a weirdo.
    When I was a kid, I ate sugar sandwiches, but I needed butter to keep the sugar from falling out. Good times.

Did you make the sandwiches with bread or cookies?

My brother used to pour sugar straight into his milk because he didn't like the texture of cereal.
    Bread. When I messed with cookies it was to make Double Stuf oreos long before there was such a thing, by taking off one side of two Oreos, throwing the extra wafers to the dog, and sticking the Oreos together.

For cereal, I ended up with a milk/sugar sludge at the bottom of the bowl that gave me some extra energy.

For tomato juice, I put in so much salt that I had a salt/juice slurry at the bottom of the glass. I'm also so old that I was around when the athletics people handed out salt tablets, so I ate those like candy during the school day.

Then there was the orange juice concentrate straight out of the little tube, the cake mix right out of the box, and rolling chocolate chips into the caramel disks that were supposed to be for caramel apples.

It's kind of a miracle I lived long enough to get fat in the first place.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    There are a lot of studies regarding the link between sugar and dopamine... Not that those studies change anything but there is science behind someone saying they are "addicted" to sugar.

I started at almost 300lbs... and have NEVER started a thread saying I was addicted to sugar or fat or any of that...

like someone said...
    Then one day, I friggin' wanted it bad enough and stopped the justification.

Dopamine response means jack, though. Pet a puppy? Dopamine.

Stub your toe? Dopamine!

This discussion has been closed.