May 2015 Multisport Challenge

Options

Replies

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ironmankat wrote: »
    Ha! I'm actually the slow one, so I just try to get my lane partner to agree to swim back and forth on the same side rather than in circles The Y pool I go to is kinda crappy and thus never crowded so this usually works

Let's see, I haven't posted since Friday.

Saturday: 10 mile easy run, later 1 hour @ gym doing upper body & core
    Sunday: 2.5 hours on the bike trainer (oof)
    Monday: 6 mile run
    Tuesday: Track workout, 5 mile repeats
    Wednesday: 1500m swim

Oy vey, 2 hrs on the bike trainer? I'd quit and take up tennis or knitting... You're far tougher than me, clearly.

I'm also a pretty slow swimmer by normal standards, but besides the handful of insane triathletes, there's no one under 70 using our pool for laps regularly. We always just split the lane. No circle swimming here.
    Or, rather, we swim around the ladies treading water in the middle of the lane and go back to the middle. Last week, I spent most of my workout half way under the lane divider so I wouldn't kick the old man doing stretches in my lane.
    It's actually really funny when I'm not grumpy. Today, though, I was grumpy.

OWS Season is almost here. Finally!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    @SBRRepeat - I've done 3 hours on the trainer a couple of times this winter. Having an entertaining show to watch on Netflix is ESSENTIAL when you're on the trainer. I watched How I Met Your Mother this year (never watched when it was on). ALMOST finished all 9 seasons - have just 9 episodes left (and it wouldn't surprise me if I wind up with a couple more trainer rides due to weather, so I will hopefully finish it soon) :)
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    @gobonas99 I'm with you there, I watched House of Cards this winter on the trainer, but I never made it through more than 60 minutes at a time. And cycling is my favorite of the three sports... Not going anywhere is just so frustrating!
  • gobonas99
    Options
    @SBRRepeat - 60 minutes on the trainer were easy days for me! at least twice a week! Always had one longer ride though - 90 min plus...the standard was 6 episodes...er...a little over 2 hours :wink: Once I got my aerobars for Christmas and had them installed, it made the trainer a little more bearable (new position! yay!) LOL :smiley:
  • ironmankat
    ironmankat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible that I'll be on it again for 3 hours of fun this weekend. Every weekend with the rain, ugh! Much bad tv will be watched.
  • gobonas99
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @ironmankat - I still ride in the rain. :p I just draw the line at thunder and lightning :# and snow...I don't ride in snow either ;)
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    @SBRRepeat - 60 minutes on the trainer were easy days for me! at least twice a week! Always had one longer ride though - 90 min plus...the standard was 6 episodes...er...a little over 2 hours :wink: Once I got my aerobars for Christmas and had them installed, it made the trainer a little more bearable (new position! yay!) LOL :smiley:

Oh heck no.
    I will ride outside in all conditions (unless it's below 20 F or snowing) but I could not do that. Of course, I also did a run focused training block for the really bad couple of winter months this year, so I didn't need to bike as much- only had to do a handful of trainer rides all winter. There's the advantage to being a lousy runner :smiley:

And I love riding in the rain, too, but I was sorely chastised by my bike mechanic brother and my dad this weekend for mistreating my poor bike. Apparently my 90 minute ride in a light drizzle qualified as velo abuse...
  • gobonas99
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    And I love riding in the rain, too, but I was sorely chastised by my bike mechanic brother and my dad this weekend for mistreating my poor bike. Apparently my 90 minute ride in a light drizzle qualified as velo abuse...

@SBRRepeat - you're supposed to clean it when you are done with a rainy ride! :tongue: bike maintenance 101! :smiley:
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another update:
    Su May 17: 15 km walk
    Mo May 18: 1 km swim
    Tu May 19: 6 km run
    We May 20: 8 km walk, 5.5 km run
  • ironmankat
    ironmankat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. But I absolutely detest cycling in it. I might go out once or twice a season in case it rains on race day. Otherwise, nyet. Different strokes. :)
  • SBRRepeat
    Options

@SBRRepeat - you're supposed to clean it when you are done with a rainy ride! :tongue: bike maintenance 101! :smiley:

I had, quite literally, been home for 20 minutes. She was already up on the work stand for a proper clean, I just wanted to watch the finish of the Tour of California first... By the time I got back to the garage, my poor Fuji was in pieces, being cleaned and polished by the men folk...
    I admit, sometimes I game the system a bit: leave the bike for about 10 minutes more than the mechanic can stand and, boom, free cleaning and tune up from the professional :wink:
  • gobonas99
    Options

I had, quite literally, been home for 20 minutes. She was already up on the work stand for a proper clean, I just wanted to watch the finish of the Tour of California first... By the time I got back to the garage, my poor Fuji was in pieces, being cleaned and polished by the men folk...
    I admit, sometimes I game the system a bit: leave the bike for about 10 minutes more than the mechanic can stand and, boom, free cleaning and tune up from the professional :wink:

That is hysterical! :) And I don't blame you one bit for gaming the system - I'd do it if I could (and have - when I brought it to the shop on a slow day to get my pedals changed and new tape put on, I also got my rearset taken apart and cleaned for free) ;)
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ironmankat wrote: »
    I love running in the rain. But I absolutely detest cycling in it. I might go out once or twice a season in case it rains on race day. Otherwise, nyet. Different strokes. :)

I also love running in the rain! Cycling in the rain... yeah that's different. I think it's because you get cold in the rain quicker... because you get wet and because there is more wind. But if it's warm I sometimes like the rain. However I do have the principle not to skip training because of (non-extreme) bad weather, but I may do it on another time of the day if I know that it will be dry then.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @SirJaseph found that I tend to cycle faster in the rain, as the fear of lightning helps me keep up the pace. Not sure how real of a threat it is a I don't use a steel bike, and the rubber on the road may help avoid making me too much of a target.
  • Ohhim
    Options
    Hit my swimming goal for the month today as I didn't have to share a lane for my 1 mile swim workout today at my gym. Still, I went during off-peak hours (a nice benefit of being retired) which helped. Otherwise, got in all 4 training disciplines today for good measure.

Toying with giving the full Ironman Lake Tahoe a shot for my birthday weekend in September as I have a friend doing it (who was smoked off the course last year due to forest fires) and registration is still open. Coming off my marathon, my running is ok, biking needs a bit more base mileage and more hill training, and swimming needs some massive distance ramp-up in the next 4 months to be up to snuff for that distance. Otherwise, Panama City 2016 is probably a more reasonable goal as I'd have enough time between now and then to be a bit more competitive (vs. just trying to finish) and it would give me enough time to find the right bike.

5/1 - 30 min weights
    5/2 - 2 mile run
    5/3 - 26.2 mile marathon (3:44 time, 8:33 pace)
    5/4 - 0.85 mile easy swim
    5/5 - 0.75 mile easy swim, 30 min weights, 16 mile bike
    5/6 - 12 mile bike
    5/7 - 6 mile run, 12 mile bike
    5/8 - 30 min weights, 0.5 mile swim, 12 mile bike
    5/9 - 4 mile run, 20 mile bike
    5/10 - 12 mile run, 12 mile bike
    5/11 - 10 mile bike, 30 min weights, 0.6 mile swim
    5/12 - 4 mile run
    5/13 - 5 mile run, 0.5 mile swim, 17 mile bike
    5/14 - 4 mile run, 30 min weights
    5/15 - 42 mile bike, 0.5 mile swim, 3 mile run
    5/16 - 0.3 mile swim, 14 mile bike, 5 mile run
    5/17 - 30 min weights, 30 mile bike
    5/18 - 3 mile bike, 12 mile run
    5/19 - 7.3 mile run, 12 mile bike
    5/20 - 25 min weights, 1 mile swim, 3.5 mile run, 12 mile bike

Complete: 7 weight sessions, 94 miles running, 224 miles biking, 5 miles swimming
    Goal: 9 weight sessions, 100 miles running, 500 miles biking, 5 miles swimming
    Remaining: 2 weight sessions, 6 miles running, 288 miles biking, 0 miles swimming
  • gobonas99
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    @SirJaseph found that I tend to cycle faster in the rain, as the fear of lightning helps me keep up the pace. Not sure how real of a threat it is a I don't use a steel bike, and the rubber on the road may help avoid making me too much of a target.

@ohhim - actually...very real threat. Carbon fiber is basically the equivalent of a lightning rod. :#

• gobonas99
    edited May 2015
    Options
    5/19 - yoga class (with lots of core work!)
    5/20 - 90 min pe 5 brick at tri practice: 16.14 mile bike in 58:35 and 3.11 mile run in 30:29

Totals through 5/20:
    Swim: 4.35 miles in 2.94 hours (3 swims)
    Bike: 191.92 miles in 12.90 hours (10 rides)
    Run: 39.22 miles in 6.46 hours (9 runs)
    Yoga: 2 classes
  • Ohhim
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hit my running goal, and did an extra swim today, but didn't get on the bike as the sky was looking a bit threatening today :smile: @gobonas99 good to know

5/1 - 30 min weights
    5/2 - 2 mile run
    5/3 - 26.2 mile marathon (3:44 time, 8:33 pace)
    5/4 - 0.85 mile easy swim
    5/5 - 0.75 mile easy swim, 30 min weights, 16 mile bike
    5/6 - 12 mile bike
    5/7 - 6 mile run, 12 mile bike
    5/8 - 30 min weights, 0.5 mile swim, 12 mile bike
    5/9 - 4 mile run, 20 mile bike
    5/10 - 12 mile run, 12 mile bike
    5/11 - 10 mile bike, 30 min weights, 0.6 mile swim
    5/12 - 4 mile run
    5/13 - 5 mile run, 0.5 mile swim, 17 mile bike
    5/14 - 4 mile run, 30 min weights
    5/15 - 42 mile bike, 0.5 mile swim, 3 mile run
    5/16 - 0.3 mile swim, 14 mile bike, 5 mile run
    5/17 - 30 min weights, 30 mile bike
    5/18 - 3 mile bike, 12 mile run
    5/19 - 7.3 mile run, 12 mile bike
    5/20 - 25 min weights, 1 mile swim, 3.5 mile run, 12 mile bike
    5/21 - 8 mile run, 0.7 mile swim

Complete: 7 weight sessions, 102 miles running, 224 miles biking, 5.7 miles swimming
    Goal: 9 weight sessions, 100 miles running, 500 miles biking, 5 miles swimming
    Remaining: 2 weight sessions, 0 miles running, 288 miles biking, 0 miles swimming
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    @gobonas99 man, good thing I can't afford carbon fiber. Who knew that came with perks?

7 mile run tonight, about 1/3 on trails. Beautiful day for a nice slow run.

Bike:122 mi
    Run: 35 mi
    Swim: 5200m.
    Strength: 3 sessions
    X-training: 7 hrs backpacking

In other news, stopped by the new tri shop in town and chatted with the owners for a bit. Seem like good people, so I'm hoping to jump into their training group when it gets going. Right now they're running a Bike 101 group and some group rides that I may join. Pretty excited, they seem less intimidating than the roadies at my LBS group rides.

Also, took the plunge and registered for Challenge Cedar Point today. Eeek.
  • gobonas99
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @SBRRepeat - I have a friend that did CCP last year! :) She really liked it!

5/21 - 10x200Y TT w/30 seconds rest btw in 45:07 (plus my post-swim hot tub TT :wink: )

Totals through 5/21:
    Swim: 5.50 miles in 3.70 hours (4 swims)
    Bike: 191.92 miles in 12.90 hours (10 rides)
    Run: 39.22 miles in 6.46 hours (9 runs)
    Yoga: 2 classes

IM70.3 Syracuse is ONE MONTH FROM TODAY! Found out our swim waves on Monday and our bib numbers today! *kitten*'s getting real now!! :D