road ethics

Options

Replies

• megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You want to know why? Because passing on the RIGHT is frowned upon. I don't like passing on the right. slower traffic keep right applies no matter how fast you are going.

But going 100+ is perfectly fine? Fine logic you have there, lol.

What in the hell are you talking about? I'll repeat. Slow traffic keep right. Just remember that and you'll be fine. No one likes the self imposed speed police.

I beleive it is illegal to drive over the posted speed (self appointed speed police or not). And yes I know, that people go over the limit but if you read highway laws I don't think that you'd be covered if you are caught.

But then in another post you said that passing on the right is illegal.

So, you think people should follow some laws but shouldn't be held back by other laws?

Not trying to start an arguement, but I hear this all the time and not sure how you (and others) decided which laws can/should be broken and others not, and that everyone should follow your version of complying to laws.

edit for typos

You're right. Nice catch. I advocate slower traffic to keep right. But I can't advocate using the exit lane to pass on the right Yourself?

Yes, passing on the right from exit lane is more dangerous than going 5-10 over speed limit.
    I still hate it though when I'm going the speed limit (or 5 miles over) and someone gets on my rear end and I'm not breaking any laws.
    Cars have improved safety (crumple zones, airbags etc.) but can't deny laws of physics in regards to stopping distance and increased impact when colliding at high speeds.

My husband seems to think there's a rule about "keeping with the flow of traffic" but has yet to show that to me in writing.

To hell with common courtesy then right? Like I said before, if someone decides they think 10-15 mph over the limit is what they want to travel, then move over. Why? Because YOU want the guy that's in the left lane traveling at the speed limit to move over wen you approach them

If it is just you travelling in a vacuum; no other cars on the road and no kids in your car and no pedestrians on the road I don't care how fast you are going.

Speed limits are posted for a reason; safety for the community at large which IMO supercedes what you think is common courtesy. Not sure why you think if you want to drive faster than the legal limit than others should accommodate you.

If I get behind someone going a little slower than I am, as long as they are going the speed limit, I do not feel I have the right to ride their bumper, flash my lights etc.

Exactly!!!!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    http://fairtrafficlaws.com/Speed_and_Driving_Safely.html

LIMITATIONS ON THE APPLICATION OF SPEED LIMIT SIGNS

Unfortunately, it turns out that the idea that speed limits are a useful tool for controlling traffic speed may be a regrettable myth. Nonetheless, the speed limit can serve an important purpose when its use is restricted to the following important functions:

1.Provide a legal basis for prosecution of those who drive dangerously fast,

2.Notify motorists of locations where hazards exist that are not immediately apparent, such as school zones, and
    3.Inform motorists of the safest speed to travel in normal traffic under favorable conditions.

The scientific method for setting speed limits that achieve these objectives is described on the page titled, "Setting Fair, Legal, Speed Limits".
  • megalin9
    Options
    Again, much drama, less common sense.

If you can't move over than obviously you cannot.

But then again you point was that since you were going 10-15 mph over than that should be good enough for anyone else.

Who said they are necessarily constantly riding your bumper, constantly flashing their lights? A quick hi beam is the common indicator for "please move over when safe"

If you want to go the indicated speed limit, fine. Please do it in the far RIGHT lane where all the other slower drivers drive.

YOUR point was that I should be the one to be courteous and get over, even though I'm already breaking the law by speeding AND passing vehicles that, if you were behind me, would also be passing.

Why shouldn't YOU be the one to be courteous and stop riding my bumper and back off until I can safely get over? Not doing so simply makes you a jerk.

No drama. Manners.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Or people who see the Right lane ends 1 mile sign and stays in the right line right up until it ends and then expects someone to let them in....

you're supposed to do this ^^

If the lane was ending and did not yet for however far/long, why should I get over and allow that pavement go unused? Getting over too soon only creates a longer traffic jam. Travel to the merge point, then merge together...like a zipper.
    THIS too. but DO NOT get out of the lane you're in to take advantage of the open lane. If you're already there, fine... but not if you're sitting stopped in traffic then change lanes to jump ahead. It also seems to matter if traffic is stopped or moving when the lane ends... same for on ramps... go to merge point..
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Again, much drama, less common sense.

If you can't move over than obviously you cannot.

But then again you point was that since you were going 10-15 mph over than that should be good enough for anyone else.

Who said they are necessarily constantly riding your bumper, constantly flashing their lights? A quick hi beam is the common indicator for "please move over when safe"

If you want to go the indicated speed limit, fine. Please do it in the far RIGHT lane where all the other slower drivers drive.

YOUR point was that I should be the one to be courteous and get over, even though I'm already breaking the law by speeding AND passing vehicles that, if you were behind me, would also be passing.

Why shouldn't YOU be the one to be courteous and stop riding my bumper and back off until I can safely get over? Not doing so simply makes you a jerk.

No drama. Manners.

Why do you assume I don't to EXACTLY that? Point to where I said I'd ride you like an amusement park attraction until you moved over?

BTW. Technically, if you were as good as a driver as you THINK you are, you'd see me coming up behind you and I would have never been able to tailgate you because you would have moved over. I do this when possible.

And since your entire argument is about breaking the law, staying in the left lane while not passing, is illegal when posted. Slow traffic keep right. And yes, since you aren't breaking the law, you'd have to be going no faster than the speed limit. If you are in the left lane doing the speed limit, you are definately not passing anyone
  • megalin9
    Options
    Why do you assume I don't to EXACTLY that? Point to where I said I'd ride you like an amusement park attraction until you moved over?
    LoL. "...ride you like an amusement park attraction..." made me laugh.

Anyhow, it was actually ME who started this particular topic within the thread, I believe. My personal pet peeve is when someone, as you say, "rides me like an amusement park attraction" when I'm in the left lane, going over the speed limit, and passing vehicles in the right lane.

Maybe you didn't come right out and say that you do that, but I made that assumption based on your comments - that if someone wants to go faster than you, they have every right to tailgate you, flash lights, beep horns, etc. I believe you said, "...riding your bumper is a way to tell you that I want to pass you." And you also mentioned that flashing lights is the universal signal to let someone in front of you know you need them to get over. While that might be true and completely necessary in emergency situations, it is typically rude to do so in every day traffic situations.
    BTW. Technically, if you were as good as a driver as you THINK you are, you'd see me coming up behind you and I would have never been able to tailgate you because you would have moved over. I do this when possible.

Never claimed to be an awesome driver, and not sure where you got I think that as we are talking about ONE situation out of thousands. But...yeah...now that you mention it, I don't think I'm a BAD driver, and I absolutely would do this if I saw you coming and had the ability to get over.
    And since your entire argument is about breaking the law, staying in the left lane while not passing, is illegal when posted. Slow traffic keep right. And yes, since you aren't breaking the law, you'd have to be going no faster than the speed limit. If you are in the left lane doing the speed limit, you are definately not passing anyone

My entire argument is not about breaking the law. I break the law every time I drive because I go at least 5+ miles over the speed limit (I thought I stated that?). That's not my issue. My entire argument is about jerks who think they are the only ones on the road and have more right to the left lane than I do when I'm going plenty fast enough and passing vehicles.

I 100% agree with you. Slow traffic keep right, and get out of the left lane if you aren't passing. I'm not slow traffic. :wink: However, I do get out of the left lane if I'm not passing anybody and/or there's someone coming up behind me who is going faster.

Are we on the same page yet? :flowerforyou:
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    get out of the left lane unless you are passing...
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I see your point but riding your bumper is a way to tell you that I want to pass you.

You could also use your signal? And then wait for a gap?

Could. Or flash the bights once. but if that person is in the left lane, that person is supposed to move over to the right so I can pass on the left. Passing on the right is not recommended.

Supposed to move over? According to which law?

There is no way I'm doing anything different just because someone tailgates me, and especially not if s/he does any of those things.

If I'm going with the flow of traffic, say 10-15 mph over the limit (a guess, I think in km), unless it's an ambulance behind me, that person can suck it and wait.

I love it when theyve been riding your *kitten* and you havent been able to get over and then when you do move right for them to pass, they either pullin behind you and continue to ride your *kitten*, or drive right beside you...
    #punchintheface
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I am appalled at the lack of road ethics shown by people. For example, people would travel in the exit lane to avoid traffic, then get back into lane right at the end. I hate these people. There is something wrong with them. We all justify our stupid actions but it really is a reflection of our character. Stop being a jerk!

Do you live in Utah?! Man, am I sick of Utah drivers. No signaling, left turns 3 cars after the light turns red, squeezing in at the end of a lane merge, getting stuck behind a car who is cruise controlling 5 below the speed limit, passing someone going slower than you only to have them speed up when they see you trying to pass them. Morons everywhere.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    LoL. "...ride you like an amusement park attraction..." made me laugh.

Anyhow, it was actually ME who started this particular topic within the thread, I believe. My personal pet peeve is when someone, as you say, "rides me like an amusement park attraction" when I'm in the left lane, going over the speed limit, and passing vehicles in the right lane.

Maybe you didn't come right out and say that you do that, but I made that assumption based on your comments - that if someone wants to go faster than you, they have every right to tailgate you, flash lights, beep horns, etc. I believe you said, "...riding your bumper is a way to tell you that I want to pass you." And you also mentioned that flashing lights is the universal signal to let someone in front of you know you need them to get over. While that might be true and completely necessary in emergency situations, it is typically rude to do so in every day traffic situations.

Never claimed to be an awesome driver, and not sure where you got I think that as we are talking about ONE situation out of thousands. But...yeah...now that you mention it, I don't think I'm a BAD driver, and I absolutely would do this if I saw you coming and had the ability to get over.

My entire argument is not about breaking the law. I break the law every time I drive because I go at least 5+ miles over the speed limit (I thought I stated that?). That's not my issue. My entire argument is about jerks who think they are the only ones on the road and have more right to the left lane than I do when I'm going plenty fast enough and passing vehicles.

I 100% agree with you. Slow traffic keep right, and get out of the left lane if you aren't passing. I'm not slow traffic. :wink: However, I do get out of the left lane if I'm not passing anybody and/or there's someone coming up behind me who is going faster.

Are we on the same page yet? :flowerforyou:
    Yup. It's all good :tongue:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Or people who see the Right lane ends 1 mile sign and stays in the right line right up until it ends and then expects someone to let them in....

you're supposed to do this ^^

If the lane was ending and did not yet for however far/long, why should I get over and allow that pavement go unused? Getting over too soon only creates a longer traffic jam. Travel to the merge point, then merge together...like a zipper.

^ Agreed.

I cannot believe how many people designate themselves as the "lane police," and (illegally) position their vehicles in the open lane that others are driving down - at full speed - to try and thwart them from passing the traffic jam that has now backed up for 2 miles, due to everyone trying to be "courteous" and getting over wayyyyyy before they need to. Just because I did not get over before you did, you have the right to try and block me while I drive in the still-open lane? Are you nuts??

Not to mention, every time you see a car traveling down the lane that is about to end, it does not necessarily mean that they chose to do it that way. There have been many times where I am on a road where the lane ends, but I do not see the merging sign until everyone has already banded together and formed a six-mile long line. Pardon me for driving on that road for the first time and not knowing that the lane was going to end. So now, since everyone wants to be a jerk and think they own the road, they move up bumper-to-bumper so that I can't get over now that I've seen the sign that I need to.

Bottom line: unless you carry a badge and a gun, don't feel like you have ANY RIGHT to police ANYBODY on the road for any reason. Not only is it illegal, it is incredibly stupid. Someone could take the back of your car off and injure you badly, as well. And it would be your fault for impeding traffic in a lane where it is still legal for drivers to be in.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    OR... Ive had people where its just me and them on the 4 lane highway and they pass me only to turn right at the next road. WTF dude! Why didnt you just pull in behind me instead of making me stop!!!
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed by those people who keep inching forward at the traffic lights when they're still red. I mean seriously, what's the rush! They going to turn green. It's not like inching forward like that will make them go green faster. I've had people behind blow their horns at me move forward while the lights are still red. I always stay put. I tell them (in my mind) "I only move when they turn green *kitten*". That's how it works

Or those people who rush to beat the umber just before it goes red!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed by those people who keep inching forward at the traffic lights when they're still red. I mean seriously, what's the rush! They going to turn green. It's not like inching forward like that will make them go green faster. I've had people behind blow their horns at me move forward while the lights are still red. I always stay put. I tell them (in my mind) "I only move when they turn green *kitten*". That's how it works

Or those people who rush to beat the umber just before it goes red!
    [/quote
    on another note, how do you feel about people stopped at red lights with 3 carlengths between them and the car ahead, so people in the left hand lane turning lane can not get into the lane because people didn't pull up far enough? jerks..
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Basically anyone that drives slower than you = slug
    Anyone that drives faster than you = a-hole
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Chances are if you flash your hi beams at me once and you're behind me, I'll move over. If you continue to flash them and start honking, now you can suffer. If you pull up behind me, ride my *kitten*, and leave your hi beams on at night, I can and will slow my *kitten* down until you pass me. If you treat people politely you're much more likely to get what you want, even on the road.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Chances are if you flash your hi beams at me once and you're behind me, I'll move over. If you continue to flash them and start honking, now you can suffer. If you pull up behind me, ride my *kitten*, and leave your hi beams on at night, I can and will slow my *kitten* down until you pass me. If you treat people politely you're much more likely to get what you want, even on the road.

Chances are if you slow down for no good reason other than to try to make someone else suffer, I'm going to pass you and then slow down twice as much as you did. And since I'm running close to 375hp, I'll be able to do this

Just stop with the made up situations. It's OT to the dicussions
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet PEEVE is in a residential area with kids around and some one tail gates you even tho your doing the speed limit + a few and its a two lane road and because you don't speed up. (remember speed limit is 25 and your already doing 30) they decide to pass you doing 50 in the residential area and if the mom who was starting to cross the road had not been paying attention she and the baby would of been taking out by that driver. Yea speed is not always a good thing and I was going 5 over the speed limit and the woman had the right of way (cross walk sign) a block away
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    oh man so many driving pet peeves to think of :)

I am a bit evil though if people are driving like idiots. Like in the small town I currently live in, on the northbound lane of the main road there used to be parking allowed so it is a wide lane. Well many idiots like to use the extra width to scoot around someone that is waiting to turn left (no turn lanes). Not only is this a**hat behavior but it is dangerous as well. There was a 10yr old boy hit and dragged down the road in the larger city I lived in because of this type of behavior because he was crossing the street and some idiot decided to go around the person stopped at the crosswalk because they didn't see the kid over the hood of the car that was stopped. This street runs right by the hospital and there are often people in wheelchairs and elderly crossing as well as people turning left

So I drive right down the middle of that wide lane so that if someone is turning left, I stop behind them and people HAVE to stop because they can't just magically turn it into 2 lanes and go around.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Why in the hell are we still discussing this?