May 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @LoneWolfRunner: Are you running the trail race with the fractured toe? That sounds really painful - especially if it is the big toe that is banged up. In any case, I hope it gets better soon!

@kristinegift: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on Sunday morning!

@gabbo34: Not sure if I smell nice when I run - but I kind of doubt it. I just remember one time when I was visiting my parent for the weekend, went out for a run on Saturday morning, and the moment I was back (as in, had just unlocked the door, not even taken my shoes of), my father walked out of the kitchen and greeted me with "you smell sweaty, you should take a shower". I don't worry about sweating at all when I'm outside running, but I try to be nice to my neighbours and don't take the elevator when I come back. ^^
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    Running question for the group....whenever I'm out running and a woman is running the other way, they invariably smell nice. Meanwhile I smell like a middle school boys gym 2 minutes into a run....

How do women mange to smell normal while racking up the miles while guys stink to high heaven??

exercise.png
    I'm absolutely reek after a run.......I don't even wear deodorant most mornings I run because it seems pointless to put it on only to sweat it off!
    If they smell nice then they have very liberally sprayed themselves before heading out the door!

• lsabeIIe
    lsabeIIe Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    @gabbo34

Funny because I was talking about that today with my running partner. He thought he was getting smelly.

I must say that I'm probably one of the woman who smells "normal". I will only stink when running if I already stink prior to my run.

Now, how do I "manage" to smell normal ? That I don't have a clue :) , I don't even use deodorant. I guess it just depends on people.

But I would add that, I cross a lot of sweaty people on the way when I run and I have never been bother by the smell of anyone.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    @LoneWolfRunner: Are you running the trail race with the fractured toe? That sounds really painful - especially if it is the big toe that is banged up. In any case, I hope it gets better soon!
    Yes... it is only 30k...I think we can all deal with a little pain for a few hours to do what we love...

• madube84
    madube84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

5/1 0.8miles
    5/2 2 miles
    5/3 0.8miles
    5/4 2 miles
    5/5 0.5 miles
    5/6 -
    5/7 0.8 miles
    5/8 1.5 miles

Total:8.4 miles
    Goal: 30 miles

exercise.png
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    1.5 Miles as scheduled today.

exercise.png

5/3/15 3 Miles 32:59:43 11'06"
    5/6/15 2.5 Miles 26:01:45 10'10"
    5/7/15 3.25 Miles 32:33:16 10'10"
    5/8/15 1.5 Miles 14:31:78 9'40"

Total Miles: 10.25
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    5/8 2 easy miles. I have a dr appointment on Monday to hopefully find out why my heart rate at an easy pace has been going up the past month or so instead of down. 2 miles in the 14mm rage should not have gotten my heart rate up to 182. Any ideas? :/
    exercise.png

My heart rate always runs 10-20 beats high when I'm running in the heat (as your heart needs to circulate more blood to cool you down) - if you use garmin connect, you can look up the temperature at the start of your runs. It also runs high due to excess caffeine pre-run, and if I'm over-training (i.e. coming off a century ride/marathon). If it is dry out, my heart rate monitor sometimes picks up my cadence if I haven't moistened it at the start of the run, but usually lifting my shirt and/or licking it to help it make better contact returns it to a normal number, or I'll just wait a half a mile and it gets back in sync once I start sweating. To test this hypothesis, you can increase/decrease your step cadence (without adjusting your speed) to see if that changes things. Still, always good to check things out with your physician (as I'm definitely not one, nor do I play one on TV).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    Running question for the group....whenever I'm out running and a woman is running the other way, they invariably smell nice. Meanwhile I smell like a middle school boys gym 2 minutes into a run....

I can't smell myself while running.

Later... oh yeah.

I figure the good smelling folks simply aren't trying hard enough. :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY - 0
    5/2 16 miles - 16.0 <<< Madkin and Weeden Mountains on RSA (1,208ft elevation gain)
    5/3 REST DAY - Went hiking ~4 miles with the wife at Monte Sano instead
    5/4 10.35 miles - 26.35 << slow recovery miles. Still feel sore from weekend
    5/5 10 miles 36.35
    5/6 8 miles - 44.35 << easy paced
    5/7 5.25 miles - 49.6 << fast paced
    5/8 15 miles - 64.6 << Friday night long run

exercise.png

Moved my long run to Friday night since it is my daughter's birthday today. We are taking her and her friend to the aquarium in Atlanta tomorrow morning.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    I am meeting a potential new running partner tonight. He is a super cute 1 year old shephard/lab mix named Forrest Gump (LOL, I pledge to start each run declaring 'Run, Forrest!' if it works out). He is being re-homed due to a move. He has gone through all obedience classes up to advanced, and has earned his Canine Good Citizenship Certificate. I can't find a human running partner (I stopped short at putting an ad on Craigslist - not THAT desperate yet). I've asked everyone I know. Since I far prefer trail runs to city running, I just don't feel safe doing that with my little pug/jack russell mix. She is scared of our hamster! She is too small to be any kind of deterrent if we are scoped as prey. Besides, I have built her endurance up to 6 miles, but she seems to be tapping out at that distance and I don't feel right pushing her any further. Pepper spray only goes so far. If a predator is high on Meth, crack, or Bath Salts it won't stop him. A large dog, however, can disable him so that he can't attack. I may sound neurotic here, but my sister was assaulted running alone 3 years ago. This is what law enforcement told us after the attack. I never feel safe running without a partner since that happened. Fingers crossed Forrest is everything his Mommy has promised me...

I hope it works out with your new running partner. ;-) It get's pretty ruff running alone. ;-)

• Stoshew71
    Options
    lukiace wrote: »
    So I saw this challenge and got so excited. I set a 40 mile goal and I really want to be able to hit it. I have a bad hip but I think the goal is doable.

exercise.png

Thanks for the challenges!

Welcome aboard @lukiace

• chazdiezal
    chazdiezal Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    May goal 65 mi

5/3...10 mi
    5/4... Rest
    5/5... 2 mi
    5/6... 4 mi
    5/7... 2 m
    5/8... Rest
    5/9... 4 mi

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/2 - 5.25 beautiful miles through my neighborhood
    5/4 - 5 miles, indoor track
    5/5 - 4 miles, treadmill (soggy, foggy day here); another 5 on stationary bike
    5/6 - 4 miles, indoor track; weights / abs
    5/7 - woke up feeling like #$*%...so decided to go back to sleep. May run this evening if I feel better.
    5/8 - 4 miles, indoor track; weights
    5/9 - 10.5 miles to celebrate 1000 days on MFP. Don't usually pay attention to those numbers, but 1000 is a lot!
  • halfrunnerJ
    halfrunnerJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Goal 50 miles

5/9 3 miles - run groups started back today:)
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

May 6 - 5k
    May 7 - 6k
    May 9 - 8k
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1- rest day
    5/2 - 5 miles 8K Steeple Chase Race
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 6.3 miles
    5/6 - 3.5 miles - decided to cut it short a bit so I could go home and get Macy for a walk
    5/7 - 4.5 miles
    5/8 - 4.6 miles
    5/9 - 2.4 miles - just a quick run to get my legs moving - Skip wants to run tonight

29.8 out of 120 miles completed

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @gabbo34 I can smell myself when I run so trust me all woman do not smell good LOL
    @codemonkey78 yeah for Mrs.Codemonkey on her mile, great pace
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Looks like I have a guerilla crocheter in the neighbourhood ;-)
    I came accross some newly decorated traffic pollards during my run last night:

xps15a7d00f9.jpgjpg2muakh245.jpg

2.5.15 - 4.1km
    4.5.15 - 3.9km
    6.5.15 - 4.2km
    8.5.15 - 5.3km
    ___
    17.5km (of 100km) done

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Those are hilarious! So unique!

I was "Running With The Cows" this morning. Set a new HM PR 2:37:20.4. I was gunning for 2:35 but felt some tenderness in my achilles the last mile and a half so I dialed it down. I think it's OK but I think I will take it easy and do just recovery pace all week and maybe even next weekends HM to be safe.

5/2 - 6.07 miles
    5/4 - 3 miles
    5/5 - 3.01 miles
    5/6 - 3.02 miles
    5/9 - 13.1 miles 2:37:20.4 new PR

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ thats too funny!
    @karllundy way to go on the 1000 days!

Drought or deluge here. Hoping for a few clear hours for a run today. (Of course, I could get on the TM.) Last run was amazingly muddy. Thought for sure I was gonna bite it on a downhill section.

I did realize today that I can run more than 10 miles in a week with out being in serious pain. Love progress!