From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Options

Replies

• Spin533
    Spin533 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    You prob missed my message :)
    Did you use kettlebells at all?

Thanks
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    WOW! You are amazing & those legs!
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Spin533 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    You prob missed my message :)
    Did you use kettlebells at all?

Thanks

Oops, yes I did. Lol, it was early! I have a 25lb kettlebell but never really got into using it much, to be honest. When I did use it, I would use it for bent over rows. :smile:
  • Constant_Nova
    Constant_Nova Posts: 108 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi! You look amazing and those legs tho!!!!!

Im 44 lbs down with about 75 more to go and Ive been lifting weights but the kicker, I'm 5'1. Do you suggest more weight training than cardio? I tend to do alot more cardio and I'm seeing my numbers drop but my composition isnt changing too much......
  • GenElizabeth
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi! You look amazing and those legs tho!!!!!

Im 44 lbs down with about 75 more to go and Ive been lifting weights but the kicker, I'm 5'1. Do you suggest more weight training than cardio? I tend to do alot more cardio and I'm seeing my numbers drop but my composition isnt changing too much......

Thank you!!! :blush:

Congrats on the 44lbs down, that is AWESOME. And yes! I do suggest more weight training than cardio, 100%, for sure, all the way. :wink: Cardio will do nothing in terms of changing your shape. You will just end up a smaller version of your current self but with no real change to your curves. Cardio is good for heart and lung health though and for improved endurance.

I rarely did cardio at all when I lost weight and even now. I LOVE lifting weights. The benefits are endless! Especially us as women. We need to maintain as much muscle mass as we can because as we get older, we tend lose it.

Keep up the awesome work with weights. I'd even suggest skipping the cardio altogether (unless you also just love doing it) and focus on weight training. Lift heavy and have the bulk of your workout be compound exercises. Such as squats, deadlifts, glute bridge, step ups, over head press, rows, etc..

I hope that helps!! You can do it, you're well on your way. :heart:

• renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You look so pretty before and after. Congratulations on your success, you did a fantastic job! :)
  • DeidreNix
    DeidreNix Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So, it's been 7 months since I had my baby boy.. Although this is hard for me to post, I wanted to share the progress I've made so far with you guys. :blush:

Highest weight during this pregnancy was 187lbs (I'm 5'3") and at 2 months pp, I was still 180lbs. I am currently at 157lbs and losing around 1lb/week. I have just been doing some light weight lifting in my home a couple times a week. I just joined Planet Fitness a couple days though so I'm super excited about that! I try to log my food every day but with the baby and my newly, hectic schedule, sometimes I am not able to but I am still mindful of what I eat. I am still nursing also so I'm not worried about losing weight too fast right now.

The before is 2 months pp at 180lbs and the after is current at 7 months pp so 5 months between, and down 23lbs with roughly 20-25lbs more to go. There is no big secret to weight loss. Just discipline, sacrifice, consistency and patience. I hope this inspire those new mamas out there to keep going!!! :heart:

Have a great night everyone!

tm0s7lknj8k4.jpg

@GenElizabeth You are my spirit animal! I'm a little over 8 months PP with my second child, nursing, and just starting strength training/lifting. So, I'm starting slow and trying not to jeopardize my "supply." Your post is so inspirational and motivating. I'm a little heavier than you, at ~230lbs 5'5", so I'm aiming to lose at least 50lbs, maybe more. Just want to make sure my body is strong and healthy to be able to keep up with my ever active kiddos and set a good example for them. Keep up the good work!
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Truly inspirational!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi Gen, I love it when you post, especially being a busy mum, so thank you. Does your planet fitness have all you need for strength training because the one by me only has cardio equipment?
  • GenElizabeth
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    Hi Gen, I love it when you post, especially being a busy mum, so thank you. Does your planet fitness have all you need for strength training because the one by me only has cardio equipment?

Hi Madux! Thank you for your comment.

A gym without weights?!?! That's craziness! Yes, my Planet Fitness has everything I need. Free weights, machines, cardio equipment, massage and of course tanning with even more than that. :wink:

I would quickly forget about that Planet Fitness you're in and find a place with free weights and maybe some machines. Honestly though, you don't even need a gym at all! I worked out at home my first year and a half or so with free just weights (lost 75lbs) and I have also lost my first 23lbs after having my baby just by working at home and getting back on track with food. Gyms are awesome though so of course, your preference!!!

I'm actually working on a video for you guys (have had a lot of requests) on what I did, "beginner style" using just a pair of dumbbells. :smile:

Focus on compound exercises always though - whether at home or in the gym. Best of luck! :heart:
  • GenElizabeth
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies. @renae161 and @leahkathleen13

@DeidreNix, congrats on your new little one! Weight training really is great. I wouldn't worry too much about your supply, you should be fine as long as you're eating accordingly. Best wishes to you, you can do this! And thank you so much. :smile:
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow so excited for you. In 11 years times I went from 290 pounds wearing a size 28 to 225 and wearing a size 12 and working on getting back to a size 10 and weighing 163 is my goal

May I ask how tall are you?
  • jcrav77
    jcrav77 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Wow you are my hero and motivation. I have been thinking I need to do strength training for a while. For one I can not do a lot of cardio due to a bum ankle (from major car accident) being fused a few years ago. I can not run now :( not that I ever did before. I have been watching my son who is a wrestler and he put on tons of muscle this summer and now he struggles to keep his weight on due to a faster metabolism with all the muscle. Last year he would have to cut weight for wrestling and I felt it was unhealthy at times. Now he needs to gain and maintain and eat eat eat. You look STRONG I love it.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I needed this inspiration today!
  • katanips
    katanips Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You look great! Looking into getting into strength training myself so love to see successful results !
  • greenbaymichele
    greenbaymichele Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!
  • Serenade_N
    Serenade_N Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Discipline sacrifice patience and consistency.
    Your share has truly helped me
    Stay and keep at this journey of strength training. Patience has been a huge thing and one of the most challenging.
    You've helped me keep focussed Gen Elizabeth.
    A million Thank yous!
  • GenElizabeth
    Options
    jcrav77 wrote: »
    Wow you are my hero and motivation. I have been thinking I need to do strength training for a while. For one I can not do a lot of cardio due to a bum ankle (from major car accident) being fused a few years ago. I can not run now :( not that I ever did before. I have been watching my son who is a wrestler and he put on tons of muscle this summer and now he struggles to keep his weight on due to a faster metabolism with all the muscle. Last year he would have to cut weight for wrestling and I felt it was unhealthy at times. Now he needs to gain and maintain and eat eat eat. You look STRONG I love it.

Thank you. Strength training really is so great for so many reasons. I hope you do start! All the best to you and your son! :smile:

• GenElizabeth
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. Your responses help me to keep going!!! I've lost 25lbs so far after having my baby, who will be 8 months already in just a few days. Where does the time go?!

My progress has been much slower this time around but SO rewarding at the same time. It's been very challenging to get into a routine, get work outs done and log my food but that's ok. I try to remember that there is a season for everything and we need to just keep trying our best each day.

It's always super encouraging to hear from you all!! Thank you, have a great week and a great thanksgiving! :smile:
  • BBHM123
    BBHM123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OMG.... INSPIRING.....YOU ROCK.....HOT
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!