Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?

I cut out all processed foods and I dont eat anything with added sugar. I am not afraid of sugar I am just doing this because I want to. I eat foods that have sugar in them naturally. I have lost 27lbs since Feb 23rd but I count my calories daily and exercise as much as i can. I walk up hills for my workouts. I know lots of people would disagree with me about what I eat but It really works for ME.

what would be the difference between added and natural sugar, that makes you avoid one and eat the other?

foods with naturally occurring sugars like fruit usually mitigate the effects with fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients, making it more difficult to overconsume.

Thanks, but I did not ask about fiber, I asked about sugar...

What's your question then?

what is the difference between natural sugar and added sugar? If your answer is "fiber" then the answer is there is not a difference. Because I can eat added sugar and still consume fiber, or if I want I can eat fiber with my added sugar...

Finally, I was asking the other poster and you decided to jump in ...but please, continue.

My answer was "fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients," among other things, like water, for example...

Eating foods with naturally occurring sugar is different from eating foods with added sugar in their effects on the body's complex physiology, hormonal balance, etc.

So what's the difference between a homemade rhubarb sauce with a little added sugar vs. a homemade apple sauce with none (since apples are naturally sweeter)?

Foods are different, but I think we have to look at everything in context.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    One milky way bar (regular size - 2.05 oz) has 35g of sugar and 1 gram of fiber (and 245 cal).

One medium size apple (appx 182 g) has 19 g of sugar and 4 grams of fiber (and 95 cal).

So, yes 35g of sugar = 35g of sugar. But if I get those 35g of sugar from a milky way bar, as opposed to a couple of apples, I miss out on about 7g of fiber (which would help slow the metabolization of all that sugar, meaning a lower blood-glucose spike), and end up eating about 55 more calories. To say nothing of the nutritional impact of choosing candy over fruit.

Unless you are eating it straight from the Domino sack, sugar does not occur in a vacuum.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What if
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    One milky way bar (regular size - 2.05 oz) has 35g of sugar and 1 gram of fiber (and 245 cal).

One medium size apple (appx 182 g) has 19 g of sugar and 4 grams of fiber (and 95 cal).

So, yes 35g of sugar = 35g of sugar. But if I get those 35g of sugar from a milky way bar, as opposed to a couple of apples, I miss out on about 7g of fiber (which would help slow the metabolization of all that sugar, meaning a lower blood-glucose spike), and end up eating about 55 more calories. To say nothing of the nutritional impact of choosing candy over fruit.

Unless you are eating it straight from the Domino sack, sugar does not occur in a vacuum.

What if I've met my fiber (and other) goals for the day and I have room for those 55 additional calories?

I wouldn't tell someone, in a vacuum, to avoid a food because it has 55 more calories than another food. Why would it make a difference in this instance?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

what if I have already hit my fiber for the day and eat he milky way? Does it magically go into the good category because the fiber makes the added sugar OK?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    belinus wrote: »
    Actually, they did answer the question with fiber and nutrients. Because it is impossible to get the "10 grams of apple sugar" without eating the apple to get it which contains fiber, Vitamins A/C/E/K, Potassium, Omega 3/6 fatty acids, and 191g of water in a large apple.

Not true. People juice fruit all the time. Some even claim it's magically healthy.

More significantly, you can add sugar to a wide variety of foods to make them more palatable to your taste. I dislike oatmeal with added sugar, but someone who enjoys oatmeal more with it shouldn't be told that it's somehow deadly when added to oatmeal but just fine when in an apple. After all, if sugar were so terrible, there are other, less sugary, ways of getting the nutrients and fiber in fruits.

I'm not addressing the "natural" argument now, but I really don't see the logic.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You people are toxic. I'm done here. Enjoy your added sugar!

A lot of people are leaving MFP because of the clique of so-called experts that think they know better than dieticians or nutritionists because they have nothing better to do than post on the forums. You are correct they are toxic and MFP won't do anything about them......

From what I've seen some people come on these boards saying that nutritionists have told them?

A good discussion here on the forums trying to flesh out actual science from pseudo-woo-science is a good, healthy thing.

Let me tell you what's REALLY toxic.

The magical thinking that if you just eat the "right" way, you're safe.

You'll dodge every medical bullet.

You'll naturally be the weight you want.

Well guess what?

That's just not true. Issues of health and weight are far more complex than the internet gurus touting certain ways of eating would have you believe. And you can still get sick and you can still not lose weight even if you do everything "right".

You know when the age of magical thinking is? Childhood. It's tempting to return to the security of certainty, the trust in "true belief", but being an adult means knowing there are no guarantees in life.

This .... this belief.... this certainty... is a faith of sorts.... and it covers itself in a veneer of science with no real proof, which makes itself all the more enticing and easier to fall prey to ... and harder to separate from real fact.

So? Stay and learn and have your eyes opened, or leave and be convinced we're all bullies and learn the hard way eventually.

Faith or fact? Your choice.

We can learn a lot from children who still have magical ways of thinking. Adults who retain their child-like sense of wonder are the creatives who bring along progress in all disciplines.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I was going to call you on the rhubarb comparison but my assumptions fell apart. I figured the sugars might be the same between rhubarb and apple, but the rhubarb sweetness is hidden by it's acidity. I'm wrong. Apple, 17g natural sugars, 5% daily value. Rhubarb, 6g of natural sugars, 2% of daily value (one cup each).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    What if

What if I've met my fiber (and other) goals for the day and I have room for those 55 additional calories?

I wouldn't tell someone, in a vacuum, to avoid a food because it has 55 more calories than another food. Why would it make a difference in this instance?

Yup... it all depends on context. I stated earlier that I would choose the fun-sized Snickers (oh no, not that again!) because I'm usually scrambling to get more fat in my day after I've pre-planned my meals (which have already provided me plenty of fiber and vitamins).

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Dang work being back to a normal pace. I've missed so much edumacation!

So apple sugar = goooooooood.

the sugar i just had in the 1/2 slice cheesecake brought in for nurses week? = baaaaaaaaaaad.

I'm glad my body is a fricken GENIUS and can say "oh, the sugar in that frut is from a healthy food, but the sugar in that pie came from a 'bad' food so i'm gonna make you far/give you cancer/cause you to grow balls / sacrifice your unborn to remind yo that this food is evil and you must never eat it for the rest of your life!"

Truth be told, I only skimmed over all the pages, and that was barely.

Have a great week loves. :smile:
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The World Health Organization might enlighten you better than anyone here on the forum:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    belinus wrote: »
    Actually, they did answer the question with fiber and nutrients. Because it is impossible to get the "10 grams of apple sugar" without eating the apple to get it which contains fiber, Vitamins A/C/E/K, Potassium, Omega 3/6 fatty acids, and 191g of water in a large apple.

Not true. People juice fruit all the time. Some even claim it's magically healthy.

More significantly, you can add sugar to a wide variety of foods to make them more palatable to your taste. I dislike oatmeal with added sugar, but someone who enjoys oatmeal more with it shouldn't be told that it's somehow deadly when added to oatmeal but just fine when in an apple. After all, if sugar were so terrible, there are other, less sugary, ways of getting the nutrients and fiber in fruits.

I'm not addressing the "natural" argument now, but I really don't see the logic.

Heck yeah. Oatmeal with sugar, some kinda dairy, some kinda fruit, and maybe even peanut butter if the numbers allow for the day!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    You people are toxic. I'm done here. Enjoy your added sugar!

A lot of people are leaving MFP because of the clique of so-called experts that think they know better than dieticians or nutritionists because they have nothing better to do than post on the forums. You are correct they are toxic and MFP won't do anything about them......

From what I've seen some people come on these boards saying that nutritionists have told them?

A good discussion here on the forums trying to flesh out actual science from pseudo-woo-science is a good, healthy thing.

Let me tell you what's REALLY toxic.

The magical thinking that if you just eat the "right" way, you're safe.

You'll dodge every medical bullet.

You'll naturally be the weight you want.

Well guess what?

That's just not true. Issues of health and weight are far more complex than the internet gurus touting certain ways of eating would have you believe. And you can still get sick and you can still not lose weight even if you do everything "right".

You know when the age of magical thinking is? Childhood. It's tempting to return to the security of certainty, the trust in "true belief", but being an adult means knowing there are no guarantees in life.

This .... this belief.... this certainty... is a faith of sorts.... and it covers itself in a veneer of science with no real proof, which makes itself all the more enticing and easier to fall prey to ... and harder to separate from real fact.

So? Stay and learn and have your eyes opened, or leave and be convinced we're all bullies and learn the hard way eventually.

Faith or fact? Your choice.

We can learn a lot from children who still have magical ways of thinking. Adults who retain their child-like sense of wonder are the creatives who bring along progress in all disciplines.

I'd rather not take nutritional advice from someone who is applying magical thinking to issues that require scientific solutions, thank you.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Are mashed potatoes inferior to baked, because the mashed are processed?

Forget mashed vs. baked, clearly we should be eating them raw and unwashed! More natural, you know.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    What if

Yup... it all depends on context. I stated earlier that I would choose the fun-sized Snickers (oh no, not that again!) because I'm usually scrambling to get more fat in my day after I've pre-planned my meals (which have already provided me plenty of fiber and vitamins).

Fun-Sized Snickers, AKA literal food of the devil?

I'm with you. Most of my meals are vegetables/vegan protein, so when I have around 100 calories left for the day, I usually plug in something fun because my other goals have been met. I usually choose something savory, but the principle is the same.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    zmusic wrote: »
    I substitute honey for sugar in some recipes, but I don't know of a substitute for flour. The only recipe that I still use sugar in is KPaul's Shrimp Creole.

How on earth would honey be better for a diabetic? Honey is, basically, sugar.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Are mashed potatoes inferior to baked, because the mashed are processed?

Forget mashed vs. baked, clearly we should be eating them raw and unwashed! More natural, you know.

i eat them as just the sprouts, because then, they havent been "processed" into real potatoes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The World Health Organization might enlighten you better than anyone here on the forum:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

wasn't there a study going around a bit back when this first came out, showing that the "evidence" that they based this was off was biased or something like that..?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Sakismom wrote: »
    I cut out all white sugar and flour and within 2 weeks I lost 13 pounds. I switched to all whole foods, clean foods, I am not hungry and the inches are flying off. The processed food is the culprit, even salt has sugar in it.

No doubt the doubters will be saying that it is not possible.

What isn't possible? Losing 13 lbs when you start a diet or cut carbs? I'm sure it's super common, although meaningless.

Cutting out "white sugar" and flour (all flour or perhaps only white)? No, I think it's perfectly possible and, as I said above, not all that difficult. I just found it pointless (it's especially pointless if you are eating "nonwhite" sugar or honey or whatever). Obviously depending on your medical or self-control issues it might not be pointless. I cut out added sugar from time to time since I find it useful, but am not interested in doing so permanently. I don't eat large amounts of flour, and don't see any purpose whatsoever to cut it out, although I do tend to choose whole grain when possible. Also, I have no blood sugar issues, which affects my reasoning here.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sakismom wrote: »
    I cut out all white sugar and flour and within 2 weeks I lost 13 pounds. I switched to all whole foods, clean foods, I am not hungry and the inches are flying off. The processed food is the culprit, even salt has sugar in it.

Say what now?
This discussion has been closed.