slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    A plateau is nothing else than "you eat at maintenance level"
    That's all

Most people who dont lose weight anymore start looking at the intake and they get more accurate ( on purpose or not) than they start losing weight the have something like Yes i broke the plateau.
    But the formula is still the same, because they got more accurate their deficit is there again and they start losing weight.

All you need is a deficit that's all.
    Now when you are losing weight your deficit gets smaller over time when you lose weight. Till the point you are very close to maintenance....your weight loss slows down over time when you keep all your numbers exactly the same ( exercise and your daily calorie intake) Now this is of course impossible to have them always every day the same. But about.

The first fast losing is because of water weight and your deficit is bigger when you start out.
    Now when you weigh all your food on a food scale ( not measure with cups because this is highly inaccurate, watch this short video which shows that measuring your food adds hundreds of calories to your daily menu. While you think you eat less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY )
    and create your deficit.
    When you do exercise only eat 25% to 75% back from the burned calories.

And you will lose weight. Maybe slower over time because you are getting closer and closer to a healthy weight. But you will lose.

Keep this in mind:

* Weight loss = eating less calories than you burn
    * Plateau/maintenance = eating the same calories as you burn
    * Weight gain = eating more than you burn

The rate you lose/gain depends on your age, how tall you are, activity level, how much you have to lose, or a medical condition.
    But the science is for everybody the same only the above factors have impact how fast/slow and how many you lose or gain.

In short this means "you eat more than you think" tighten up your logging and be more accurate.

Works fine until it doesn't. I've been dieting for YEARS. Years. Years. I've lost alot. Ended up at 230. To get lower I have to practically starve at 1800 calories. I'm hungry ALL the time. Tiny meals. No treats. Nothing. AND I that's if I want to lose a half a pound a week LOL. I got to 222 but one week of vacation erased that. I didn't even eat much. At some point there's more going on than "as you get closer to your goal....blah blah blah." I'm 30lbs from my goal and at least 15 before I go from being obese to just a regular old overweight guy. And yes I weighed and measured my food before you hop on the "you're not logging train."

the bolded part is always asking for trouble and you eat most of the time more than you think.

Weigh ALL your solid foods.
    And always true is

When you gain weight you eat more than your burn ( so SURPLUS)
    When you dont lose you are maintaining ( so eating the same you burn)
    When you lose weight you are eating less then you burn ( so in deficit)

This counts for EVERYBODY

The rate and time phrase of losing and gaining is depending on age, medical issues, how tall you are how much you have to lose etc
    Nevertheless losing weight happens only when you are in deficit. Also for you ;)

Yeah. I weighed solids. I'm no rookie. What I'm saying is sometimes the amount needed to get a deficit becomes so low it's stupid. No one ever addresses this. They just shrug it off. "Eat at a deficit. It's easy." Huh? So eat 1800 calories a day for months (again, 5'11" 230) while working out? Sounds legit. I bet that will be easy to keep up. I'm sure I'll never get tired or hungry. Easy though right? "Eat at a deficit."

I think the idea is that it's SIMPLE not easy. Assuming no health issues-it is what it is. Eat your 1800 calories, starve, and lose weight. Or eat more and don't lose weight. See? Simple.

But I thought you didn't have to starve? It's one of those feel-goodisms people chant constantly. "You don't have to starve. You can have ice cream. Drink the Kool-Aid."

I only said starve because you mentioned being very hungry at your deficit. I think when people say this-they are referring to people that severely undereat in order to lose. If you were eating 1200 when you can lose at 1800, for example. To be fair, though, you certainly can eat ice a cream at 1800 calories. Again, simple, but certainly not easy
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yep i eat a lot more than that
    But i have much more vegetables
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Breakfast 171 calories

Yuban - Coffee, 18 oz. 6 15 1 0 0 0
    Egglands Best - Vegitarian Fed Hen Eggs, 1 egg 70 65 6 0 4 0
    Generic - Zuchini, 50 grams 9 4 1 1 0 131
    Great Value - Nonfat Yogurt- Plain, 30 g 15 20 1 0 0 69
    Strawberries - Raw, 30 g(s) 10 0 0 1 0 46
    Private Selection - Wild Blueberries (Frozen) 3 lb Bag, 30 g (3/4 cup) 17 0 0 1 0 0
    Kroger Private Selection - Frozen Peaches, 30 grams 11 0 0 0 0 0
    Tomatoes - Roma, 61 g(s) 13 5 1 1 0 135
    Great Value - Lower Sodium Bacon Accurate, 0.5 slices 20 43 1 0 2 20
    Equate - Adults 50+ Complete Multi-vit, 1 tab 0 0 0 0 0 80
    Nature's Bounty - High Potency D3-1000iu, 1 softgel 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Nature's Bounty - Fish Oil -omega 3 - 1000mg, 1 softgels 10 0 0 0 1 0

Lunch 116 calories

Potatoes - Red, flesh and skin, baked, 34 g 30 3 1 1 0 185
    Radishes - Raw, 127 g 20 50 1 2 0 296
    Oranges - Raw, navels, 135 g 66 1 1 3 0 224

Dinner 285 calories

Bb Usda - Podded Peas (Snow, Sugar Snap), 11300, 100 g 42 4 3 3 0 200
    Mushrooms - Raw, 95 g(s) 21 4 3 1 0 298
    Zuchini - Usda Data Raw Fresh, 98 gram 14 10 0 1 0 254
    Carrots - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 100 g(s) 35 58 1 3 0 235
    Potatoes - Red, flesh and skin, baked, 79 g 70 6 2 1 0 431
    Talapia - Fish, 4.13 oz cooked 100 41 22 0 1 0
    French's - 100% Natural Classic Yellow Mustard, 2.5 g (1 tsp) 0 28 0 0 0 0
    Kroger - Olive Oil Cooking Spray, 1/4 sec spray 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Ms Dash - Original Blend, 2 g 0 0 0 0 0 29
    Spices - Black Pepper (Ground), 1 g 3 1 0 0 0 13

Evening snack 774 calories

Winona Pure - Natural Butter Flavor Canola Oil, 1/5 second spray 0 0 0 0 0 0
    kernel seasons - kettle corn seasoning popcorn, 1 tsp 20 0 0 0 0 0
    Orville Redenbacher's - Original Popcorn, 7.5 tablespoons 300 0 10 15 4 0
    Generic - Great Value Whole Natural Almonds, 1/2 cup (28 almonds) 320 0 12 6 28 400
    Bb Usda - Podded Peas (Snow, Sugar Snap), 11300, 32 g 13 1 1 1 0 64
    Zuchini - Usda Data Raw Fresh, 92 gram 13 10 0 1 0 238
    Prime Time Produce - Sweet Mini Peppers, 61 gram 18 0 1 1 0 129
    Fiber One - Chocolate Peanutbutter Chewy Bar, 1 bar
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    one day 1356 calories

You can eat everything of course
    But i chose to eat a lot ( i am a volume eater) So more veggies and more variations

But that is different for everybody and what you want.

I like variation and as a former chef i like to cook and use a bit of everything
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    That's all

Most people who dont lose weight anymore start looking at the intake and they get more accurate ( on purpose or not) than they start losing weight the have something like Yes i broke the plateau.
    But the formula is still the same, because they got more accurate their deficit is there again and they start losing weight.

Now when you are losing weight your deficit gets smaller over time when you lose weight. Till the point you are very close to maintenance....your weight loss slows down over time when you keep all your numbers exactly the same ( exercise and your daily calorie intake) Now this is of course impossible to have them always every day the same. But about.

The first fast losing is because of water weight and your deficit is bigger when you start out.
    Now when you weigh all your food on a food scale ( not measure with cups because this is highly inaccurate, watch this short video which shows that measuring your food adds hundreds of calories to your daily menu. While you think you eat less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY )
    and create your deficit.

And you will lose weight. Maybe slower over time because you are getting closer and closer to a healthy weight. But you will lose.

Keep this in mind:

The rate you lose/gain depends on your age, how tall you are, activity level, how much you have to lose, or a medical condition.
    But the science is for everybody the same only the above factors have impact how fast/slow and how many you lose or gain.

In short this means "you eat more than you think" tighten up your logging and be more accurate.

Works fine until it doesn't. I've been dieting for YEARS. Years. Years. I've lost alot. Ended up at 230. To get lower I have to practically starve at 1800 calories. I'm hungry ALL the time. Tiny meals. No treats. Nothing. AND I that's if I want to lose a half a pound a week LOL. I got to 222 but one week of vacation erased that. I didn't even eat much. At some point there's more going on than "as you get closer to your goal....blah blah blah." I'm 30lbs from my goal and at least 15 before I go from being obese to just a regular old overweight guy. And yes I weighed and measured my food before you hop on the "you're not logging train."

the bolded part is always asking for trouble and you eat most of the time more than you think.

And always true is

The rate and time phrase of losing and gaining is depending on age, medical issues, how tall you are how much you have to lose etc
    Nevertheless losing weight happens only when you are in deficit. Also for you ;)

Yeah. I weighed solids. I'm no rookie. What I'm saying is sometimes the amount needed to get a deficit becomes so low it's stupid. No one ever addresses this. They just shrug it off. "Eat at a deficit. It's easy." Huh? So eat 1800 calories a day for months (again, 5'11" 230) while working out? Sounds legit. I bet that will be easy to keep up. I'm sure I'll never get tired or hungry. Easy though right? "Eat at a deficit."

I think the idea is that it's SIMPLE not easy. Assuming no health issues-it is what it is. Eat your 1800 calories, starve, and lose weight. Or eat more and don't lose weight. See? Simple.

Simple concept, difficult to execute. But, you won't starve eating 1800. That's actually a good bit of food.

LOL for a woman. It's in no way a good bit of food for me. And there's no room left for anything remotely discretionary.

I'm your height, I eat less than that. It's you'll be hungry for a little while, but you'll get used to it.

I did it for 3 months and never got used to it. It's not enough food. Period.

Not sure than anyone is going to be able to give you an answer that will appease you. If it's not enough food, then adjust your pounds lost per week so you can eat more. I haven't read all of your other posts, but it sounds like you're eating the bare minimum. Try adjusting calories so that you will lose half a pound per week, keeping weighing solids and measuring liquids like you are. That will be especially important at a smaller deficit. It's better to lose weight slower and be able to eat more, then try to lose it faster and be miserable. You shouldn't be starving, and you should be able to work treats in so you don't feel deprived. I also agree with the simple not easy notion. It is simple in concept, but is it always easy? No. What's the alternative though? At least if you lose slower you are heading in the right direction.

By the way, I lose half a pound a week eating over 1800 calories, and I'm a woman who is 5 foot 7 and roughly 207 pounds. I can eat over 2000 when I exercise. As a male, you should be able to eat more than 1800 and lose half a pound a week unless you're not being accurate with your logging.

• tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    That's all

and create your deficit.

Keep this in mind:

And always true is

Simple concept, difficult to execute. But, you won't starve eating 1800. That's actually a good bit of food.

LOL for a woman. It's in no way a good bit of food for me. And there's no room left for anything remotely discretionary.

I'm your height, I eat less than that. It's you'll be hungry for a little while, but you'll get used to it.

I did it for 3 months and never got used to it. It's not enough food. Period.
    Try doing some cardio so you can eat more? My dairy is open so I'm not going to copy and paste out of it.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    one day 1356 calories

You can eat everything of course
    But i chose to eat a lot ( i am a volume eater) So more veggies and more variations

But that is different for everybody and what you want.

I like variation and as a former chef i like to cook and use a bit of everything

That's just more stuff to obsessively weigh LOL. I don't have the patience to weight out 9000 items. I eat very basic. Trying to hit a decent protein/fat macro leaves very little room for other things it seems like. I can see this being different for a female. Lower protein number probably so that means you get more carbs. So there's your ice cream.

yeps lol like i said its all about choices and planning

• BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    But the 285 calorie dinner looks good too...also a woman thing i suppose ;)

ssesxj6f5kpv.jpg
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    gawdddd we are drifting off i think
    sorry people

My point was Weigh ALL your food on a food scale lol
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    you are losing weight that is the result you want isnt it?
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    gawdddd we are drifting off i think
    sorry people

My point was Weigh ALL your food on a food scale lol
    LOL I have 3 food scales. One at work, two at home (one bowl type, one flat). Weighing my food isn't an issue. The issue is not getting results in spite of weighing it.

If you're not losing weight and doing everything right as you claim, then you need to see a doctor. If you have seen a doctor, and they've run tests and all came back fine, then you are eating too many calories. Aside from medical issues, there really are no other alternative explanations to not losing weight while eating at a deficit.

• BWBTrish
    Options
    he is losing. The stats show so ( so as the link he gave)
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    And when hungry on 1800 calories he needs to change his food intake...but like he said he dont want to weigh 9000 items lol. You dont have to be hungry on 1800 calories a day...not at all.