Do you shop at Trader Joe's?

Options

Replies

• skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Someone might have said this... I don't have time t read all the precious posts. We love the romanesco and cauliflower frozen blend. It's got garlic seasoning. I cook it with a little water in a sauté pan. Yum! And their eggplant and zucchini slices in frozen foods are divine! Make great sandwiches! Enjoy!
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    frozen tri-color peppers are cheap, produce can be cheap, chocolate covered sunflower seeds, they have their own brand of "Pirates Booty", seasonal juices (right now is cherry cider - yum!), pizza veggie burgers (frozen), red pepper hummus, risotto (frozen), red pepper eggplant spread, and so much more! It's a small store, but they have some unique selections.

There was an article recently where someone did a taste test and believes many "Trader Joe" items are actually the real name brand thing, or so close to it, and cheaper. (Like Trader Joe's "O's" cereal)

December they have peppermint Joe-Joe's (cookies)... a few years ago they sold out so people were selling boxes on Ebay. LOL
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's - Creamy Salted Peanut Butter From Unbalanched Peanuts

I have it really, Really, REALLY bad for them. Always at least 3 jars in my cabinet. (Tears in eyes)
    **Looks around** Don't touch my peanut butter...
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's - Creamy Salted Peanut Butter From Unbalanched Peanuts

I have it really, Really, REALLY bad for them. Always at least 3 jars in my cabinet. (Tears in eyes)
    **Looks around** Don't touch my peanut butter...

I am a big fan of peanut butter too! But I have been eating their Better'N Peanut butter because it's 50% the calories of regular peanut butter. Great for a preworkout snack!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another fave non-food item is their Coconut Body Butter! It is divine - I use it every day!
  • Daisey4522
    Options
    Another fave non-food item is their Coconut Body Butter! It is divine - I use it every day!

I'll have to add that to my list! Thanks!!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    All the frozen Asian food. I used to live on that stuff. Mongolian Beef, Gyoza, stir fries. So good.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Frozen fish and vegetables
    Ribeye steak
    Nut butters
    Kefir.
  • rochellewilson70
    Options
    I shop at Trader Joe's often...amazing store. Where do I begin?

Organic bagged lettuce and baby spinach
    Fresh organic chicken breasts
    Fresh Angus tri-tip
    Cheddar Cheese sticks
    Fruit (I love their specials on nectarines, kiwis, and bananas)
    Joe's O's cereal
    Rice Mac N' Cheese
    Organic marinara sauce
    Organic creamy peanut butter
    Psyllium Husks (at a great price!)
    Fresh (not frozen) Chicken Tamales (they have them around the holidays)
    Frozen Beef tamales
    Frozen Enchiladas
    Frozen taquitos
    Organic cane sugar
    Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips
    Frozen peas and green beans
    Frozen soy corn dogs
    Organic ketchup and mustard
    WINE!!!
    Fresh pressed apple juice (addictive as crack)
    Swiss Dark Chocolate bars
    Fiberful bars in Apricot
    Garlic fries
    Organic cage free extra large eggs
    Dried cranberries
    Individual packages of walnuts and raw almonds
    Water (their brand of water is from the CG Roxane source...same as Crystal Geyser)
    Cranberry oatmeal

....and probably much more that I'm forgetting. I <3 TJ's!!!

Don't forget the triple ginger cookies and their Sweet and Savory Trail Mix!
  • Fit_Kenzie
    Fit_Kenzie Posts: 124
    Options
    Yes! But only for COOKIE BUTTER! It's super tasty!

THIS^^^ yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just got the reduced guilt spinach and Kale yogurt dip based on suggestions here and...OMG! I'm in love. 2 tbsp for 30 calories? It's amazing! Also got some whole wheat naan and a bag of their Inner Peas crunchy pea fry thingies. They are both delish.

Non-food related-I got a bottle of their SPF 30 Full Spectrum sunscreen for face and body...love it. It's fragrance free and doesn't clog pores. Perfect for my picky skin.
  • Daisey4522
    Options
    All the frozen Asian food. I used to live on that stuff. Mongolian Beef, Gyoza, stir fries. So good.

I actually had their frozen chow mein last night. I eat half of the package + half of a package of steamed broccoli that I mix in for a total of 365 calories, which isn't too bad for a dinner! It's so quick and yummy. They use white meat chicken too! I'm not a fan of dark meat.
  • mnxl
    mnxl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    walked in once and walked out with nothing, its fine if you want to pay more for the novalty and make yourself feel special. all items are cheaper elsewhere, if elsewhere doesn't have it, i find something else to eat.
  • Daisey4522
    Options
    walked in once and walked out with nothing, its fine if you want to pay more for the novalty and make yourself feel special. all items are cheaper elsewhere, if elsewhere doesn't have it, i find something else to eat.

That is the same thing that happened to me the first time I went in, but then I went in again and really looked around. The prices are less expensive for most items I shop for -- and I compare to many other grocery stores in the area. Maybe it depends on where you live? There are a bunch of posts in the middle of this thread discussing how less expensive Trader Joe's is, so I'm not sure if your first impression is correct. Maybe you'll give it a try another day.
  • fishsticks913
    fishsticks913 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Pineapple salsa.... hand down my favorite!

The ex boyfriend took me there a few times and I fell in love.., but the closest ones is like 2 hours away :(

I just wish.., they shipped! Oh how I would "shop" there weekly if they did!
  • caitlynah12
    Options
    I went for the first time maybe three months ago as there's one that is a five minute walk from work. The cashier told me my total and I gasped and said "Are you kidding me?!!" He looked alarmed for a second like I was about to throw a tantrum of epic proportions, but no. I just couldn't believe it! I got so much stuff and it cost so little! I then told him "Oh my God I'm COMING HERE EVERYDAY!" Haha. He was probably glad to see me leave. :) I actually go once a week. I love reading what other people buy there because our TJs gets so crowded and it stresses me out (also the fact that I hate how our store is set up) so I don't spend as much time freely browsing as I should.

Their lettuce & fat free balsamic vinaigrette dressing has totally reignited my love for salads. TJs also introduced me to Better 'N' Peanut Butter which is so much healthier than the Skippys I've been buying! I love to buy their watermelon wedges as well, since I love watermelon but am not about to stand around and hack up a watermelon (too lazy).

On my list of things to try is their hummus, chips & salsa, rice pudding (!!!), and veggie burgers. LOVE TJ's :)
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options

That is strange, I buy most of my stuff there because it is dirt cheap. You must have some really good grocery stores around you! Many things like peanut butter, frozen fish and shrimp ($6 a pound compared to $13), nuts (almonds are $5/lb compared to $7-8), produce (19 cents/banana, a large bag of avocados for <$5, $1.25 a piece at other stores... last year I got a gigantic container of blueberries for about $6, when other places sell them for $3-4 for one of those tiny containers), quinoa (I think it's about $2-3 there, and the same size box at the other grocery store was $6) and cheeses are, no exaggeration, half the price of the chain grocery stores (subsidiaries of Roundys, Safeway and Albertsons) Meats, dairy and eggs, shelf items like sauces and pasta and snacks are much cheaper. From shopping other places while on vacation and visiting people, I see that the prices at the chain stores around me are no more expensive than other places, so that isn't the case.

I don't think I can recall anything off hand that is more expensive there than at the chain stores...

I do have to laugh at your feeling special for buying food comment. Has anybody ever felt anything other than rage and hatred while grocery shopping? What makes somebody feel special for buying food?

Edit: Damn, that sounded like a sales pitch. I'm just a cheap *kitten* and get really excited over cheap things :drinker:
  • Daisey4522
    Options
    I went for the first time maybe three months ago as there's one that is a five minute walk from work. The cashier told me my total and I gasped and said "Are you kidding me?!!" He looked alarmed for a second like I was about to throw a tantrum of epic proportions, but no. I just couldn't believe it! I got so much stuff and it cost so little! I then told him "Oh my God I'm COMING HERE EVERYDAY!" Haha. He was probably glad to see me leave. :) I actually go once a week. I love reading what other people buy there because our TJs gets so crowded and it stresses me out (also the fact that I hate how our store is set up) so I don't spend as much time freely browsing as I should.

Their lettuce & fat free balsamic vinaigrette dressing has totally reignited my love for salads. TJs also introduced me to Better 'N' Peanut Butter which is so much healthier than the Skippys I've been buying! I love to buy their watermelon wedges as well, since I love watermelon but am not about to stand around and hack up a watermelon (too lazy).

On my list of things to try is their hummus, chips & salsa, rice pudding (!!!), and veggie burgers. LOVE TJ's :)

I LOVE the Better N' Peanut Butter. Half the calories!!!!!
  • Daisey4522
    Options

That is strange, I buy most of my stuff there because it is dirt cheap. You must have some really good grocery stores around you! Many things like peanut butter, frozen fish and shrimp ($6 a pound compared to $13), nuts (almonds are $5/lb compared to $7-8), produce (19 cents/banana, a large bag of avocados for <$5, $1.25 a piece at other stores... last year I got a gigantic container of blueberries for about $6, when other places sell them for $3-4 for one of those tiny containers), quinoa (I think it's about $2-3 there, and the same size box at the other grocery store was $6) and cheeses are, no exaggeration, half the price of the chain grocery stores (subsidiaries of Roundys, Safeway and Albertsons) Meats, dairy and eggs, shelf items like sauces and pasta and snacks are much cheaper. From shopping other places while on vacation and visiting people, I see that the prices at the chain stores around me are no more expensive than other places, so that isn't the case.

I don't think I can recall anything off hand that is more expensive there than at the chain stores...

I do have to laugh at your feeling special for buying food comment. Has anybody ever felt anything other than rage and hatred while grocery shopping? What makes somebody feel special for buying food?

Exactly ;)
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    They sell all natural cherry juice which is something I drink for inflammation. And it's pretty cheap.

Did you know the owner of Trader Joe's is brothers to the owner of Aldi's? You'll find they usually share products, just change the labeling.