Whats up with the unfriendly pple in MFP???

Options

Replies

• JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Having a deficit in your normal calorie intake can do that to you.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I've been here a while and cultivated a great friends list. I also tend to overshare as I get more comfortable. So I don't add new people very often unless I have a vague idea they would be a good fit. Maybe some people think that is not being supportive but really, I'm not here for YOU, I'm here for me.

Exactly. I don't even declare that I need a message with a friend request, but I do. Not because I think I'm special, but because after 18 months, I've got a friend list full of people that mesh with me. When I get random friend requests, if I'm feelif charitable, I'll devote about 8 seconds to trying to figure out how you found me and why you think we'll be a good match. If I can't figure it out, I'm done. Because I am very involved with my friends, and there is a limit to the number of people I can keep up with, I'm not adding people just because. I'm not adding someone that I can't support-be that because I already have a full list, or because it's someone without a sense of humor, or someone who is fasting/"jump starting" their weight loss/only logging in once a week/posting every Monday how they blew it over the weekend/etc. I want my mfp friends to be people that I jive with, and I can't fathom why someone would want otherwise. If there's someone you wan to be friends with, send them a request and tell them why. That's not an unreasonable request.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It's honestly the nature of the internet. The best thing you can do is click the little arrow next to their username and select "Ignore user".

Brilliant!! I never noticed the little arrow!! Thank You!!!!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It's really only a few people that are unfriendly.

I am very positive, I log everything, try to do 30 minutes of exercise every day and have an open diary. I've lost 2#/week since joining in April and I'll be here for the long haul because I'm committed to reaching my goal weight. Feel free to add me.
  • 28DebRena
    28DebRena Posts: 56
    Options
    There are mean people everywhere in this world. The only way to never encounter people with rude souls, is to stay to yourself and seclude yourself from the world. It is sad, but true.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have recently started my weight loss journey (5 days) and I signed up with MFP from the beginning. As you might have experienced the first weeks are the worst but I'm still happy to be doing this. I find MFP very helpful and I love reading through "success stories" but its such a turn off to encounter some posts where it says "DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS CHALLENGE UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF THE 100 PEOPLE THAT ARE ALREADY PART OF THE GROUP. " or do not add/msge if you don't know me. Are we back to highschool??? I thought we're here to support each other with our weight loss challenges!!! Anyway, I would love to get some support.

and now you know why children are bullies because they learn it from their parents...:grumble: :angry:
    Hugs..add me if you like
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have recently started my weight loss journey (5 days) and I signed up with MFP from the beginning. As you might have experienced the first weeks are the worst but I'm still happy to be doing this. I find MFP very helpful and I love reading through "success stories" but its such a turn off to encounter some posts where it says "DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS CHALLENGE UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF THE 100 PEOPLE THAT ARE ALREADY PART OF THE GROUP. " or do not add/msge if you don't know me. Are we back to highschool??? I thought we're here to support each other with our weight loss challenges!!! Anyway, I would love to get some support.

Did they disable reply? No... then comment.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There are some people on here who think there is only one way to lose weight, but there are a lot more who just want to support you.

Don't listen to any of the negativity, ignore them if you have to. Tell them you only eat 1200 calories a day, that really pisses them off.

I eat 1200 a day plus my workout calories..but then again I am only 5ft tall...I don't need much more..OH and tell them you eat cheeseburgers see them really go nuts...:laugh:
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There are some people on here who think there is only one way to lose weight, but there are a lot more who just want to support you.

Don't listen to any of the negativity, ignore them if you have to. Tell them you only eat 1200 calories a day, that really pisses them off.

I eat 1200 a day plus my workout calories..but then again I am only 5ft tall...I don't need much more..OH and tell them you eat cheeseburgers see them really go nuts...:laugh:

Haha so true!!
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling here as well. Some people think that everyone has to do things they way they do it or they're wrong. Wish they had an ignore button.

You can select ignore just under your profile pic. Click on the little downward arrow.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    There are some really awesome people here, too. I add the really awesome people to my friends list, and I ignore the really rude people. :smile:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling here as well. Some people think that everyone has to do things they way they do it or they're wrong. Wish they had an ignore button.

You can ignore people. Click on the arrow under the person's avatar and you will see the option. (you better not ignore me, I have important things to say, LOL)
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There are some sour grapes in the world, but the majority of people I have met on here have been absolutely amazing and inspiring !! I am always looking for friendly , positive, and encouraging people, so I am going to add you and show you that the nice amount of people on here overtake the rude ones any day:)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I see very few rude people here. I see a lot more overly sensitive people. Too many people getting butt-hurt by random people... on the internet... from all over the world.
  • littlelfmage
    Options
    I just found out what you mean. Someone skimmed my profile and told me to find a different site because "This site is for 18 and older." Thing is I AM 18 and I stated so on my profile. I didn't appreciate the comment. Anyway I'm just going to ignore them. I'm confident enough to know that their obnoxiousness is their issue not mine. You just have to tell your self that they are the ones with a problem not you, And laugh at it. Because life is too precious to waste on unpleasant people. Online or Offline.
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    Options

There is....the little arrow under the avatar of the person you want to ignore...click it and click "ignore user". Works like a charm. :wink:

Perfect, thanks!
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The internet the place where you can be the jackwagon you were in high school but not get punched in the face. Thank God for computer screens. I get the attitudes,snark and think they are something special bc they have lost weight. I always wonder if it was natural or if it is real. I'm a realistic so you get me where I am. Folks try to pit themselves over others is really dumb. I have had to be careful how I write bc some read too much into things are not enough. There are alot of shallow no substance folks here so it's what it is. I'm not unfriendly so you can add me if you so desire!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The internet the place where you can be the jackwagon you were in high school but not get punched in the face. Thank God for computer screens. I get the attitudes,snark and think they are something special bc they have lost weight. I always wonder if it was natural or if it is real. I'm a realistic so you get me where I am. Folks try to pit themselves over others is really dumb. I have had to be careful how I write bc some read too much into things are not enough. There are alot of shallow no substance folks here so it's what it is. I'm not unfriendly so you can add me if you so desire!

Your post sounds a whole lot like the posts you're complaining about.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ This.

Today though, I honestly saw the mean come out. A friend posted a success thread and every clean eater out there came out of the wood work to insult his diet and tell him he was doing it wrong. Words like "gross," "disgusting" and "sick" were thrown around. It was, without a doubt, the worst I've seen on MFP. It was truly despicable behavior and a great example of why I'm disgusted with the clean eaters on MFP. Pushy to help people is one thing. Mean is another.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^ This.

Today though, I honestly saw the mean come out. A friend posted a success thread and every clean eater out there came out of the wood work to insult his diet and tell him he was doing it wrong. Words like "gross," "disgusting" and "sick" were thrown around. It was, without a doubt, the worst I've seen on MFP. It was truly despicable behavior and a great example of why I'm disgusted with the clean eaters on MFP. Pushy to help people is one thing. Mean is another.

I saw that too...and I'm a reformed/former clean-eating proponent. Even in the height of my pro-clean eating days though, my comment on his thread would have been "Great job on your progress so far. If you eventually find yourself at a plateau or feel like something is missing from your diet, perhaps consider eating less breaded/deep-fried food and more fresh food." And that would have been if I misinterpreted his post as saying that he eats the foods he featured all the time to the exclusion of other foods (which wasn't accurate).

The comments on that thread were mean...and their intent was not to be helpful in any way. The comments generally called out as being "mean" on MFP would more accurately be labeled as "not what OP wanted to hear."