Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer this sort of paper

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3617924/

However

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html/#sthash.FPnhHMU5.dpuf this one I have read...
    It’s safe to say that most carbohydrate recommendations that you will see are put in terms of percentages, you should be eating 45% of your calories as carbs, or 65% or whatever number is being used.
    As I discussed in Diet Percentages: Part 2, I don’t like this method.Rather, putting nutrient recommendations in terms of grams per kilogram or per pound is generally more valid (with one exception I discuss below). The percentages are simply meaningless without knowing how many carbohydrates are being provided in terms of gram amounts.

AS well the part in that article about "The Impact of Exercise"

and this
    For a typical male with 160 pounds of lean body mass, daily carbohydrate intake could range from the physiological requirement of zero grams per day to a near maximum of 1120 g/day during a carb-load. Which makes it no wonder that people are confused.

Simply, the question “How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need?” has no singular answer. The goals of the person, the amount and type of activity, their individual needs (e.g. insulin sensitive vs. resistant, whether or not they function well in ketosis or not), their individual goals all determine how many carbs are ideal in the diet.

and no offence but some of the links you provide are bro science...
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The next huge fad was extreme low carb diets - ya ok they work but not sustainable at all

So eat your carbs enjoy your workouts and find what works for YOU!

See, this right there. This is the type of thing that prompts people jump all over a post.

Many people do maintain low carb diets over extended periods of time. I *think* you intended to communicate that the industry trend to vilify carbs is unjustified. But that doesn't mean that low carb diets are any less sustainable than 40/30/30, for example.

I don't happen to like low carb...at all, but if someone wanted to try it and it helps them maintain a caloric deficit, then great. Have at it. I'm not going to discourage it.

• emmy_marino
    emmy_marino Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When you look up Macros you get a lot of body building bro science that is very true! I think the avg pop shouldn't ignore macros either
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    The next huge fad was extreme low carb diets - ya ok they work but not sustainable at all

See, this right there. This is the type of thing that prompts people jump all over a post.

Many people do maintain low carb diets over extended periods of time. I *think* you intended to communicate that the industry trend to vilify carbs is unjustified. But that doesn't mean that low carb diets are any less sustainable than 40/30/30, for example.

I don't happen to like low carb...at all, but if someone wanted to try it and it helps them maintain a caloric deficit, then great. Have at it. I'm not going to discourage it.

you are a very reasonable person...don't get that much here...it's refreshing.

Sorry off topic I know.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Against my better judgment, IN.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »

you are a very reasonable person...don't get that much here...it's refreshing.

Sorry off topic I know.

No no, it's sooo true. Also very clear and concise.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Officially convinced that people on this site are addicted to arguing and that it feeds into their sense of superiority.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »
    Officially convinced that people on this site are addicted to arguing and that it feeds into their sense of superiority.

your on this site...so I guess that means you too. :D
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

no we're not!!!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

no we're not!!!!

Yes, we are! And that I can acknowledge it clearly makes me better than you!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Um.....I've been doing a ketogenic eating plan for almost two years now. My weight fluctuated between 140 and 145 at the moment. Low carb worked FOR ME, but maybe I'm just a figment of everyone's imagination..... :*
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Um.....I've been doing a ketogenic eating plan for almost two years now. My weight fluctuated between 140 and 145 at the moment. Low carb worked FOR ME, but maybe I'm just a figment of everyone's imagination..... :*

Who said that low carb wouldn't work for anyone?
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I think it was this:
    The first fad was low fat diets - doesn't work

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Pretty sure the OP is stating that low carb doesn't work/isn't sustainable. My carbs are 5-7% of my macro makeup. She claims that in order for the body to function, it should be way way higher. As far as I know, my body functions quite well with what I'm doing. Then again, maybe I just don't exist. That's always a possibility.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I think it was this...
    Extreme low carb diets, while they will give you results, will not last long term as well.

From the OPs second post.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I think it was this...
    Extreme low carb diets, while they will give you results, will not last long term as well.

Thanks (both of you) for bringing me up to speed. I missed that.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I think it was this...

Thanks (both of you) for bringing me up to speed. I missed that.

Always have your back ;)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    There's sometimes a messaging problem that happens when we try to give general advice/make generalized statements while simultaneously agreeing with the principle of, "whatever works for you."

I believe the OP has stated multiple times, for various topics, that we should be free to find what works for ourselves. Unfortunately, there have also been instances, perhaps even in the next sentence, where a general statement is then made that indicates that one shouldn't try something because there's an implication that it won't work, or that it's not optimal.

If we're going to talk about specific strategies (e.g. a particular deit like low-carb), I think it's important to talk about what the experience is like, even if it's a brief description, for people who like it and those for whom it is less effective. That way people can monitor their own experiences.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When you look up Macros you get a lot of body building bro science that is very true! I think the avg pop shouldn't ignore macros either

You are all over the place with absolutes in this thread and that's one of the biggest reasons you are getting so much resistance. And then your debate the logic and facts you're being presented with links that just are a bunch of bro science. You said you've studied this whole thing but you continue to use links that are just false.

Not that I need to be replying to this thread again, but why the hell not.

^this man is thinking the exact same thing as me. Every single reply that OP has made is just an attempt at covering her *kitten* and she's not very good at it.

You say that carbs have to be "THIS!!!!" for optimal bodily function performance, but then also "WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU!!!" and "EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!!!" and "BUT BALANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and "THAT DOESN'T WORK BUT ACTUALLY IT DOES SOMETIMES BUT MAYBE NOT FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE PROBABLY!!!"

you're use of the exclamation mark makes your replies nauseating to read.