:-( Less calories, more exercise ≠loose weight!! :-(

Options

Replies

• onedayTHISYEAR
    onedayTHISYEAR Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    General tips to simplifying weight loss:
    1. Figure out your calorie needs at rest (Harris Benedict, Katch McArdle - whatever it is, pick one and stick with it); subtract 500 cals to aim for for 1lb weight loss per week
      ** thanks will look into that
    2. Update the above equation every 10lbs lost because calorie needs keep going down as you lose weight
    3. Track all food intake - absolutely everything; if you can't track it, don't eat it
    4. Eat simple, whole foods such as vegetables and lean meats - 1 ingredient only (the food itself) or don't eat it
    5. Drink only water, unsweetened black tea, unsweetened black coffee - no Splenda, no nothing
      **I do allow myself 2 mochas a day, very rarely could I get though the day without them but they are in the calorie allowance - they go in the tracker first thing before anything else gets added!
    6. Exercise if you want, it's not required
    7. If you DO exercise, you need to be damn sure what the calorie expenditure is
    8. If you DO exercise, eat back your exercise calories following the rules here
      ** Why do I not want to be in negative?
    9. If you DO exercise, only do it when you feel rested, never when you feel "over exercised"
      **I usually do it first thing once people fed and out of the house before I eat, often I dont feel hungry until (later) lunch time. One suggestion was make sure you eat breakfast but that again made no difference.
    10. Get enough sleep every day - 7 to 9 hours for nearly every adult on the planet
      ** This is an issue I have not had a decent nights sleep for over a decade now, if lucky I get 2 hours unbroken, some nights lucky to get 5 all together, when possible I have a nap in the day but not always possible
    11. Get a good, simple scale and weigh yourself every single morning, naked, after elimination - track this on MFP every day
      **I have nice new digital scales but elimination not always possible for days... one of the health problems

As said before if you DO NOT believe me DONT COMMENT its not helpful and a waste of both of our time.

Since writing I was ill for a week or so and so no bike. I dreaded getting back on as I thought I would really really struggle (note I had been doing LOTS everyday to keep my calories at a negative) even though another suggestion was have rest days I didnt as I just wanted to get to where I want to be. I forced myself back on the bike (when I thought I was better plus a few days of dread!) and to my shock the level 20 felt easy! I kept checking it was level 20 as it felt about 10. I even asking someone else to take over and check it was working at 20 and they said yes its definitely 20 not 10. I must have gone back too early as the next day I could not face it and back ill :-( I then didnt try again and then went on holiday.

so been on holiday... next to no exercise, the odd 10 minute gentle swim... lots of ice cream, bread and butter, cheese, alcohol :-), chips and other FUN things.
    I thought I had gained a lot as the clothes I wore there I wore back and they felt a lot tighter BUT according to the scales I only went up .02 of an lb!

**Thank you Sean Squared have added a few comments to your suggestions.
    - other articles have said for some people they needed to up their calories before a loss started again (which may be connected to your, eat back the exercise calories, which I have not been doing).
    Any ideas on other exercises that dont require lifting or using the core/trunk of the body? (or any form of machine, swimming is out due to time etc)

I have been forwarded articles that the cortozone?? the stress hormone can prevent people from loose weight (been stressed for over a decade!) but again that must have a tipping point....

Also reading that doing the same exercise the body gets used to it and so is completely ineffective... believe me or not I have been doing about 35km on the bike a day. As I say if I watch the right thing its not too bad. It gets VERY HARD about 15 - 20 mins in but it I stay distracted another 20 mins or so flys by. Nothing good to watch and I struggle!!!

I am NOT opening up my diary as early on I put personal things in and I dont have the time to go though and edit out.
    I am not elaborating about health problems, either you believe me or you dont and again they are very private and clearly those desperate to know I doubt would not have the compassion or understanding that such things need.

I am not lying as I want results and I also dont want my time or others wasted. Maybe you cant do the exercise I do, until it happened I would never have thought I could either but as I have a jealous witness who sees it as they are in the same room, I know its true. (They are doing weights which I cant do and they struggle to get anywhere near the bike numbers I do...)

**Believe me, support me, or dont write!**

PS after seeing some very very large people on holiday I felt a little better than I thought! but I still want to get back in my old clothes...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Firstly

Thank you to all those that have taken the time to reply :-) I can appreciate how busy every one is.

I cut my calories to 1200ish... I don't cook with oil etc, cant stand peanut butter. Learnt on the first day not to eat baked potato and butter lol!!

Using the exercise bike I managed to use up at least 1000 calories a day (give or take 10% what the bike said and what other info sites said varied) Some days I managed over 2000 ((give or take 10% ) a few days I missed (as per other posts caused terrible piles - thank goodness for medication).

I was just so pleased I had found something I could do, make it fit into my time and felt I had accomplished something.

No weight loss for a few weeks.
    Yes it could be time of the month... addressed water retention and over night gained 4 lbs!! (the day before did about 1500 on the bike)

Amazingly I did not feel that hungry after doing the morning cycle (varied minimum of 500 calories and often used up 1000 give or take 10% ) so often did not eat until later which helped me keep the calories low. Have tried (pain in bottom depending) on doing at least 500 calories 2 - 4 times a day...

Yes I have scales and learnt how much was 50g of cereal and 80g of milk. Tend to keep to a big salad in the evening and can then easily weigh the protein. Yes I know a tomato is X and 6 slices of cucumber is Y etc :-)

Yes it may be medical as my body is very messed up - which will not help, and not going into details.

SO just back to the 1200 (ignore this starvation thing) and keep cycling and hope the plateau does not continue for much longer, surely something has to give! :-)

I'm pretty sure those burns are ridiculously overestimated

How are they measured ?

If you're doing steady state cardio get a programmable heart rate monitor with a chest strap for a better measurement ...not if you're doing any form of HIIT though

Seriously 1000 calories is a huge burn and would probably take a couple of hours, particularly on an exercise bike which burns fewer than a road bike
  • onedayTHISYEAR
    Options
    **Believe me, support me, or dont write, reply or comment!**
    - please dont waste my time or yours :-(

oh and ps whilst I was ill and not exercising I didnt gain either, a lb up and down each day but no gains...

May 30th I started writing down weight in the morning calories the exercise bike says and weight in the evening...
    even though in that time I have exercised A LOT, stopped when ill and been on holiday and eaten WAY over my limit, I am the same weight as May 30th. The most I have gone up is 4lbs and and the lowest from that date/weight was 0.0.6...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So what do you want? A thread full of people saying you're a special snowflake and commiserating? You clearly don't want any actual help.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    **Believe me, support me, or dont write, reply or comment!**
    - please dont waste my time or yours :-(

oh and ps whilst I was ill and not exercising I didnt gain either, a lb up and down each day but no gains...

May 30th I started writing down weight in the morning calories the exercise bike says and weight in the evening...
    even though in that time I have exercised A LOT, stopped when ill and been on holiday and eaten WAY over my limit, I am the same weight as May 30th. The most I have gone up is 4lbs and and the lowest from that date/weight was 0.0.6...

So, just to clarify, you don't want to listen to actual help from people who know what they're talking about and can easily pinpoint the issue?

The exercise bike is lying to you

And your body is telling you that

As well as a lot of experienced, succesful people

You are not burning the calories you think you are ..you are flailing around looking for a zebra when there's a horse staring you in the face

Eat fewer calories than you burn and you will lose weight

Get the CI or the CO part wrong and you won't

Listen to your body and adjust

Start with eating back 50% of your exercise bike calorie burn estimate for 6 weeks

Then reassess
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You don't burn calories doing weights, well nothing significant anyway

You have a lot to learn
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    General tips to simplifying weight loss:
    1. Figure out your calorie needs at rest (Harris Benedict, Katch McArdle - whatever it is, pick one and stick with it); subtract 500 cals to aim for for 1lb weight loss per week
      ** thanks will look into that
    2. Update the above equation every 10lbs lost because calorie needs keep going down as you lose weight
    3. Track all food intake - absolutely everything; if you can't track it, don't eat it
    4. Eat simple, whole foods such as vegetables and lean meats - 1 ingredient only (the food itself) or don't eat it
    5. Drink only water, unsweetened black tea, unsweetened black coffee - no Splenda, no nothing
      **I do allow myself 2 mochas a day, very rarely could I get though the day without them but they are in the calorie allowance - they go in the tracker first thing before anything else gets added!
    6. Exercise if you want, it's not required
    7. If you DO exercise, you need to be damn sure what the calorie expenditure is
    8. If you DO exercise, eat back your exercise calories following the rules here
      ** Why do I not want to be in negative?
    9. If you DO exercise, only do it when you feel rested, never when you feel "over exercised"
      **I usually do it first thing once people fed and out of the house before I eat, often I dont feel hungry until (later) lunch time. One suggestion was make sure you eat breakfast but that again made no difference.
    10. Get enough sleep every day - 7 to 9 hours for nearly every adult on the planet
      ** This is an issue I have not had a decent nights sleep for over a decade now, if lucky I get 2 hours unbroken, some nights lucky to get 5 all together, when possible I have a nap in the day but not always possible
    11. Get a good, simple scale and weigh yourself every single morning, naked, after elimination - track this on MFP every day
      **I have nice new digital scales but elimination not always possible for days... one of the health problems

As said before if you DO NOT believe me DONT COMMENT its not helpful and a waste of both of our time.

Since writing I was ill for a week or so and so no bike. I dreaded getting back on as I thought I would really really struggle (note I had been doing LOTS everyday to keep my calories at a negative) even though another suggestion was have rest days I didnt as I just wanted to get to where I want to be. I forced myself back on the bike (when I thought I was better plus a few days of dread!) and to my shock the level 20 felt easy! I kept checking it was level 20 as it felt about 10. I even asking someone else to take over and check it was working at 20 and they said yes its definitely 20 not 10. I must have gone back too early as the next day I could not face it and back ill :-( I then didnt try again and then went on holiday.

so been on holiday... next to no exercise, the odd 10 minute gentle swim... lots of ice cream, bread and butter, cheese, alcohol :-), chips and other FUN things.
    I thought I had gained a lot as the clothes I wore there I wore back and they felt a lot tighter BUT according to the scales I only went up .02 of an lb!

**Thank you Sean Squared have added a few comments to your suggestions.
    - other articles have said for some people they needed to up their calories before a loss started again (which may be connected to your, eat back the exercise calories, which I have not been doing).

this is incorrect and not based in any scientific fact, ignore it

Any ideas on other exercises that dont require lifting or using the core/trunk of the body? (or any form of machine, swimming is out due to time etc)

walking, running, cardio ..but almost everything uses the core...yes even a bike, although stationary one not as much as road

I have been forwarded articles that the cortozone?? the stress hormone can prevent people from loose weight (been stressed for over a decade!) but again that must have a tipping point....

a case of majoring in the minors when your calories in vs calories out equation is incorrect through error

Also reading that doing the same exercise the body gets used to it and so is completely ineffective... believe me or not I have been doing about 35km on the bike a day.

this is incorrect and not based in any scientific fact, ignore it

As I say if I watch the right thing its not too bad. It gets VERY HARD about 15 - 20 mins in but it I stay distracted another 20 mins or so flys by. Nothing good to watch and I struggle!!!

I am NOT opening up my diary as early on I put personal things in and I dont have the time to go though and edit out.
    I am not elaborating about health problems, either you believe me or you dont and again they are very private and clearly those desperate to know I doubt would not have the compassion or understanding that such things need.

I am not lying as I want results and I also dont want my time or others wasted. Maybe you cant do the exercise I do, until it happened I would never have thought I could either but as I have a jealous witness who sees it as they are in the same room, I know its true. (They are doing weights which I cant do and they struggle to get anywhere near the bike numbers I do...)

I believe you're not lying, but you are making fundamental errors that are easy to correct ...this is not a competitive sport, what difference does who is fitter make to your or my weight loss

**Believe me, support me, or dont write!**

what do you think support is? Because if you're looking for people to validate your errors, excuses or incorrect "dieting facts" you're in the wrong place

PS after seeing some very very large people on holiday I felt a little better than I thought! but I still want to get back in my old clothes...
  • onedayTHISYEAR
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You are not burning the calories you think you are ..you are flailing around looking for a zebra when there's a horse staring you in the face
    Start with eating back 50% of your exercise bike calorie burn estimate for 6 weeks
    Then reassess

So eat fewer than 1200 calories
    AND
    Eat back the the 50% of the calories burnt that the bike tells me??

... and I am NOT to be confused by this?

Just because I can do the bike and others cant/or find it hard you dont believe me... ahhhh jealousy?
    I could not swim this, I could not run it, or do it on the road, but i do know of others that if they watch telly they also find it easy - try it you may surprise yourself!
  • Alatariel75
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ah forget it.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Then reassess

So eat fewer than 1200 calories
    AND
    Eat back the the 50% of the calories burnt that the bike tells me??

... and I am NOT to be confused by this?

Just because I can do the bike and others cant/or find it hard you dont believe me... ahhhh jealousy?
    I could not swim this, I could not run it, or do it on the road, but i do know of others that if they watch telly they also find it easy - try it you may surprise yourself!

LOL

You think you're fitter than me?

OK then ...

You cannot burn 1000 calories in 40 minutes

With a HR at 150-160 on a cardio machine at a high resistance, it would take me 14 minutes to burn 100 calories (HRM measured)

If you are equally fit, which you may be) you will be in that region

Your exercise bike is lying to you ..because the mathematical formula that underpin the conversion to "calories" are incorrect so they can sell more units ...

No successful dieter believes a machine burn without proof, over time,from their body that it's working ...do you have the proof in weight loss?

No you don't

So perhaps you should adjust how many calories you eat back

Or you can continue to put in your monumental 40 minutes of effort and continue to not lose weight

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yoltwag wrote: »
    1000 calories on the bike seems unrealistic...

For real! I may be a slow burner, but I do a 60 minute spinning class and lose about 300! I bike for distance for two hours and might crack 500 if I work myself to exhaustion. Granted, I am 5'6, 121 pounds, but still!
  • onedayTHISYEAR
    Options
    rabbitjb - Thank you for your time but your posts are not really helping me... please do not post on my thread again...

...Others

As stated I dont care if you dont believe me... I AM trying to solve a problem I have been on here and speaking to people who train those in the army and AMAZINGLY they DO believe me AS THEY HAVE SEEN IT!!!

Its easy I just want
    - try X
    - try Y
    - I heard that Z worked for someone else

I dont want or need judgement, or arguments, I just want ideas, suggestions... its not hard, its not unreasonable and if you dont have any, so argue and disbelieve others.

I was not here last year as a) I did not know about it b) even if I had there was no motivation...

I am here now and I am trying to accomplish something under for me difficult circumstances.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb - Thank you for your time but your posts are not really helping me... please do not post on my thread again...

...Others

As stated I dont care if you dont believe me... I AM trying to solve a problem I have been on here and speaking to people who train those in the army and AMAZINGLY they DO believe me AS THEY HAVE SEEN IT!!!

Its easy I just want
    - try X
    - try Y
    - I heard that Z worked for someone else

I dont want or need judgement, or arguments, I just want ideas, suggestions... its not hard, its not unreasonable and if you dont have any, so argue and disbelieve others.

I was not here last year as a) I did not know about it b) even if I had there was no motivation...

I am here now and I am trying to accomplish something under for me difficult circumstances.

This is the internet, that's not the way it works. I'll post as often as I wish

Try not eating so much
    Try not believing inflated burns
    I heard that eating fewer calories than you burn worked for every single successful person on MFP
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Trying everything but listening to people who have done it who have actual answers. Why is it so much harder to believe that your bike is inaccurate then believing your body is a magical special snowflake? And you can't dictate who answers your thread. Welcome to the internet.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Op i think you are misunderstanding what these guys are telling you. you think they are telling you that you are lying. No. they are telling you not to trust the machine burns as they are usually highly inaccurate. thats all. The other thing is to ensure that you are logging 100% as accurate as possible. I dont and nuffink happens for me, as soon as i am ready again the scales will move. Wishing you all the best, and pls listen to the advice in this post.
  • onedayTHISYEAR
    Options
    Trying everything but listening to people who have done it who have actual answers. Why is it so much harder to believe that your bike is inaccurate then believing your body is a magical special snowflake? And you can't dictate who answers your thread. Welcome to the internet.

I dont believe the bike is inaccurate as the other person in the house struggles as others have mentioned they do and they just are in the same room and see what I do.
    As previously stated I even had them pop on as I found it easy as they could see, and they struggled to do what I was doing AND they have been very shocked at how quickly I have built up from yes like others struggling to stay on at a low level for 15, 20 mins.
    I also use a special cushion as WOW those seats hurt and I was damaging my bottom by being on so long and so I had to find a way to solve that problem too.

Yes I know I cant STOP people from replying to this thread, that is why I asked politely... if they now choose to waste their time, you are correct I cant stop them, but I can ignore it, I cant be forced to read it ;-D

A cushion, plus something interesting to watch on the laptop, I am sorted, I have to push past about 15, 20 mins as that seem to be a hurdle (when yes I do want to give up! BUT DO NOT) I uses to come off and fall in a heap and stuggle to the shower but prior to being ill and going away my recovery time shocked me :-)
    I may not be loose the weight but my legs look so much better and I am much fitter too :-)
    or I was prior to ill and holiday... dreading getting back on :-S
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

I dont believe the bike is inaccurate as the other person in the house struggles as others have mentioned they do and they just are in the same room and see what I do.
    As previously stated I even had them pop on as I found it easy as they could see, and they struggled to do what I was doing AND they have been very shocked at how quickly I have built up from yes like others struggling to stay on at a low level for 15, 20 mins.
    I also use a special cushion as WOW those seats hurt and I was damaging my bottom by being on so long and so I had to find a way to solve that problem too.

Yes I know I cant STOP people from replying to this thread, that is why I asked politely... if they now choose to waste their time, you are correct I cant stop them, but I can ignore it, I cant be forced to read it ;-D

A cushion, plus something interesting to watch on the laptop, I am sorted, I have to push past about 15, 20 mins as that seem to be a hurdle (when yes I do want to give up! BUT DO NOT) I uses to come off and fall in a heap and stuggle to the shower but prior to being ill and going away my recovery time shocked me :-)
    I may not be loose the weight but my legs look so much better and I am much fitter too :-)
    or I was prior to ill and holiday... dreading getting back on :-S

dont take offence to this but i dont understand how your friend getting on the bike who is obviously not as fit as you are yet, means the bike reading is accurate?
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Look, you said you are not losing weight even though you eat very few calories and work out for huge burns. Then, somewhere in this thread, you mention your significant other is also not losing weight (even though, I assume he/she is also on a calorie deficit and working out). There might be something medical that has suddenly hit both of you, making you and your family very special snowflakes, indeed (and do get checked out medically and have the house checked for things like mould or something that might be making you ill). Chances are, though, that you are not as special as you hope and you are simply unwilling to be held accountable for yours choices.

My advice would be to get medically checked out, with the focus on your liver, kidneys, and thyroid, and if those tests all come back clean, you sit down, open this threat, and read the bundles of brilliant advice you have been given. Take it to heart and halve that burn. Think back to what you have been eating and see if you can say with complete honesty that everything in your diary is 100% correct and only measuring up to 1200 calories. Be accountable for your actions and make any changes that you might have to make.

I believe that you believe your own reality, but I am simply not sure it's realistic. Still, see that doctor, you and your SO both. Get a clean bill of health, then get back to it. Change your food around, your exersize around, drink enough, measure everything, do whatever you need to do to get comfortable with the process of losing weight again and go for it. Rock that bike, eat good food, work at reaching that deficit. You'll drop the pounds eventually as long as you are painfully honest with yourself about your calories in and your calories out. Good luck!
  • onedayTHISYEAR
    Options
    billieljaime - thanks for the suggestions :)