Anyone in their late 40s/just over 50?

Options
1235»

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Mid-40s here. Yes, absolutely, you can change your body significantly in your 40s and 50s. I've lost somewhere over 40 pounds since last November, hit my goal weight in May (just in time for a surgical procedure) and have been maintaining since. I started out just walking - miles and miles every day, using a Fitbit to measure - and it worked very well for me. That and calorie restriction helped me drop 20-25 pounds and take the load off my joints.

Then in April or so, I found out that I didn't have the hernia I thought I had, and I could do whatever I wanted fitness-wise (and since my knees, feet, &c didn't hate me anymore, I did :). Now I'm lifting weights and running, and trying whatever else looks interesting, because moving is fun. Starting next year, I'm looking forward to starting Krav Maga training, which I've wanted to do for years.

Since hitting goal and recovering from the surgery, I've been working on increasing strength with a very, very small deficit (80 calories a day) and reducing my body fat percentage slowly. I have a low net calorie goal based on "sedentary" settings, but I eat a lot and let Fitbit and MFP handle the basic math for me. It's working so far... My daily weight bounces around within a pound (or sometimes two) on either side of goal weight.

I have been thinner before, but never as strong, lean, healthy, capable, or - well, attractive. :blushing: This is a much better look than the boyfriend-induced anorexia of my late teens. So yeah, the point is it's not too late to start. In a few months, you'll be glad you did.