yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    zeinmr wrote: »
    I do intermittent fasting, mainly because I find it fits more with my normal lifestyle and eating habits. I've never done well on a constant, low calorie diet as usually I'll blow it completely one day and then feel awful and it all spirals from there. Instead, I fast on alternate days, eating 500 calories every other day and then eating as usual the following day. I'm not a breakfast sort of person, so I'll use my 500 calories on my dinner and that keeps me happy. If I crave a bar of chocolate or some crisps, it's not really a stretch to put them off till the following day. Usually by then the craving has gone anyway.

I've lost about...8 pounds or so since I started. I've had a good number of nights out with friends to the cinema or restaurants without any guilt at getting a tub of sweet popcorn or eating huge amounts of crispy duck pancakes.

I guess you just have to pick what's right for you. This works well for me. I lost some 2 stone using it before and maintained everything really well, until I hit a personal low point due to job loss and illness. I'm still not quite strong enough for a regular exercise routine as before, but this has helped me shed some pounds while I get back on my feet.

If you want to know any particular details about my own experience with this way of eating, just ask, I'm happy to answer. Of course, what works for me probably won't work for many and may not give the same results so, like everything on here, it's just a personal opinion and not a recommendation.

Thank you Shareena for your reply. I will give it a try for 6 weeks and we will see

How exactly are you going to do this if you're not counting calories/measuring out portion sizes? I did the same thing as Shareena is doing and you still have to count calories with the plan. Very confused as to what you're actually looking for here OP? IF has to still include calorie counting, which you seem determined not to do. IF without calorie counting doesn't do anything magical for you and it won't help you lose weight.

I am counting calories and using mfp for that.

but what about your ancestors? They did not use MFP, or a food scale, so why should you?

You are getting very redicoulous :)

that is pretty ironic given your insulin comments and comment about not wanting to use a food scale.

His troll score is slowly dropping to what though. IDK?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I do intermittent fasting, mainly because I find it fits more with my normal lifestyle and eating habits. I've never done well on a constant, low calorie diet as usually I'll blow it completely one day and then feel awful and it all spirals from there. Instead, I fast on alternate days, eating 500 calories every other day and then eating as usual the following day. I'm not a breakfast sort of person, so I'll use my 500 calories on my dinner and that keeps me happy. If I crave a bar of chocolate or some crisps, it's not really a stretch to put them off till the following day. Usually by then the craving has gone anyway.

I've lost about...8 pounds or so since I started. I've had a good number of nights out with friends to the cinema or restaurants without any guilt at getting a tub of sweet popcorn or eating huge amounts of crispy duck pancakes.

I guess you just have to pick what's right for you. This works well for me. I lost some 2 stone using it before and maintained everything really well, until I hit a personal low point due to job loss and illness. I'm still not quite strong enough for a regular exercise routine as before, but this has helped me shed some pounds while I get back on my feet.

If you want to know any particular details about my own experience with this way of eating, just ask, I'm happy to answer. Of course, what works for me probably won't work for many and may not give the same results so, like everything on here, it's just a personal opinion and not a recommendation.

Thank you Shareena for your reply. I will give it a try for 6 weeks and we will see

How exactly are you going to do this if you're not counting calories/measuring out portion sizes? I did the same thing as Shareena is doing and you still have to count calories with the plan. Very confused as to what you're actually looking for here OP? IF has to still include calorie counting, which you seem determined not to do. IF without calorie counting doesn't do anything magical for you and it won't help you lose weight.

I am counting calories and using mfp for that.

but what about your ancestors? They did not use MFP, or a food scale, so why should you?

You are getting very redicoulous :)

that is pretty ironic given your insulin comments and comment about not wanting to use a food scale.

His troll score is slowing dropping to what though. IDK?

troll score of - 10
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I grew up always hearing everything about "six small meals a day" and "breakfast is most important meal of day" "eat within hour of waking" etc. I didn't lose weight with that strategy and Over time I had a sinking suspicion that breakfast made me hungry, revved my appetite.
    I started 16:8 IF just to get a handle on my hunger and give me more calories to eat throughout the rest of the day. The first week or two were tougher because Eating as soon as I woke was a years long engrained habit. After that initial time I found it very easy to simply delay breakfast until after the 16hrs. At work my lunch break is at 11am anyway so it works out well. I eat "breakfast" at 11am," Lunch"at 3pm when I get off of work, snack at 4:30 and dinner around 6:30pm. If I had had a real breakfast at 7am before work That would have just been even more calories. IF curbs my appetite plus helps me reduce cal intake simply because I am not eating for as many hours of the day...Good luck!
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    BTW it has been about a year with 16:8 and I am down about 10lbs since then with minor fuss CICO
  • zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Scaling food is not an option for me I dont think our ancestors were measuring their food. We have to eat right and when we eat right we will be always in a balanace CICO.

You're really making this a lot harder on yourself than it needs to be. Suck it up, spend $15 on a food scale and get a better idea of where you're at in terms of calories consumed. You need to get an accurate starting point, in order to pin down where you've gone off track. You posted because you're not moving forward and everyone is telling you the same thing, including people who've successfully lost the weight and are now maintaining. Don't you think we might actually know what we're talking about here?

Eta: the whole intuitive eating thing is what got most of us here in the first place. It's also obviously not working out so great for you either, or you wouldn't be stuck where you're at.

Second this. I thought I had a good handle on how much I was eating until I actually started using a scale. Boy, was I wrong!!

And yes, our ancestors didn't measure their food. They spent the day growing/hunting it, thus using a lot more calories than the average person now. So why discount a very good way of helping you lose weight simply because people in the past didn't have it? Are you going to give up every bit of modern society simply because it wasn't done that way hundreds of years ago? I see nothing wrong with using every tool you can to help you lose weight and become healthier.

And for the record, most of my weight loss was done with JUST calorie counting. I can't do IF because it'll cause my blood sugar to crash (borderline hypoglycemic), I didn't substitute very much in way of foods, and I certainly didn't cut back on carbs! I love hot bread too much to cut it out of my diet! My eating habits are still not very good or very healthy (though a bit more than they used to be since we now cook dinner most nights instead of eating out), and I still indulge on junk food when it fits my daily goal. But using a scale and paying attention to portion sizes and how much of what I'm eating is the main thing that's helped me. What worked for me isn't going to work for everyone by any means, but I'm describing it to let you know that cutting carbs isn't a be-all-end-all solution for weight loss. Nor is cutting fat, or cutting sugar, or eating at specific times or whatever. If something like that helps you, more power to you. But at the heart of any proper diet change for weight loss is CICO.

When I mention our ancestors it wasnt to take it litterally but some guys here cant get the point without explanation. What I meant is that our ancestors they could manage a healthy weight without measuring weight because they where eating according to their gene evolution and yes they whereactive but this is secondary. Nowadays our genome didnt evoluate in the same speed as our nutritional intake we are bombarding our body with carbs (mainly fructose and corn syrup) where we dont have an enzyme that can digest it and that is why it turns into fat. That is why we always return to our main point ``Are all calories the same``
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Scaling food is not an option for me I dont think our ancestors were measuring their food. We have to eat right and when we eat right we will be always in a balanace CICO.

I don't have a meme for this please someone supply me with a meme O_o
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

You're really making this a lot harder on yourself than it needs to be. Suck it up, spend $15 on a food scale and get a better idea of where you're at in terms of calories consumed. You need to get an accurate starting point, in order to pin down where you've gone off track. You posted because you're not moving forward and everyone is telling you the same thing, including people who've successfully lost the weight and are now maintaining. Don't you think we might actually know what we're talking about here?

Eta: the whole intuitive eating thing is what got most of us here in the first place. It's also obviously not working out so great for you either, or you wouldn't be stuck where you're at.

Second this. I thought I had a good handle on how much I was eating until I actually started using a scale. Boy, was I wrong!!

And yes, our ancestors didn't measure their food. They spent the day growing/hunting it, thus using a lot more calories than the average person now. So why discount a very good way of helping you lose weight simply because people in the past didn't have it? Are you going to give up every bit of modern society simply because it wasn't done that way hundreds of years ago? I see nothing wrong with using every tool you can to help you lose weight and become healthier.

And for the record, most of my weight loss was done with JUST calorie counting. I can't do IF because it'll cause my blood sugar to crash (borderline hypoglycemic), I didn't substitute very much in way of foods, and I certainly didn't cut back on carbs! I love hot bread too much to cut it out of my diet! My eating habits are still not very good or very healthy (though a bit more than they used to be since we now cook dinner most nights instead of eating out), and I still indulge on junk food when it fits my daily goal. But using a scale and paying attention to portion sizes and how much of what I'm eating is the main thing that's helped me. What worked for me isn't going to work for everyone by any means, but I'm describing it to let you know that cutting carbs isn't a be-all-end-all solution for weight loss. Nor is cutting fat, or cutting sugar, or eating at specific times or whatever. If something like that helps you, more power to you. But at the heart of any proper diet change for weight loss is CICO.

When I mention our ancestors it wasnt to take it litterally but some guys here cant get the point without explanation. What I meant is that our ancestors they could manage a healthy weight without measuring weight because they where eating according to their gene evolution and yes they whereactive but this is secondary. Nowadays our genome didnt evoluate in the same speed as our nutritional intake we are bombarding our body with carbs (mainly fructose and corn syrup) where we dont have an enzyme that can digest it and that is why it turns into fat. That is why we always return to our main point ``Are all calories the same``

What, in the actual...?
  • ndj1979
    Options

yet, you have been stalled for X amount of time according to your OP, so obviously what you are doing is not working.

If you want to do IF then fine, do it and have a great time. However, if you keep logging inaccurately then you will continue to be stalled and will not lose a pound.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

What, in the actual...?

No. Don't try. None of it makes any sense.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Just to give everyone some perspective… this is from OP’s profile:

"I lost 37lb in 40 days(following 500cal per day). Now I live in low carb high fat diet “

But yeah, it’s all about maintaining that deficit. If you’re not doing that now, IF is unlikely to make a difference in and of itself.

P.S. OP, highly recommend you do some weight training. I shudder to think how much muscle mass you parted with.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »

I don't have a meme for this please someone supply me with a meme O_o

03072569.jpg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Well, ok. Let's put it this way. What you are doing now has not been working for the past 4 months. Therefore, why not try reducing your calories and see? What's the worst thing that's going to happen... the same old nothing that's happening now?
  • ndj1979
    Options

What, in the actual...?

wait or genomes ovulate now????
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

What in the actual *kitten*?

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Could the OP be losing muscle?
    I am sorry but I dont believe in calori deficit pe se. Our body always adapt to new conditions and tends to increase or decrese its basal metabolism accordingly. One year ago I can create a caloric deficit by consuming 2500 cal. For the last 4 month I have to go less than 1400- 1500cal which is so hard to maintain.
    If the above is accurate, could the OP be losing muscle?

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

What, in the actual...?

wait or genomes ovulate now????

Be careful when taking antibiotics while your genomes ovulate, because it will break down the enzymes that fight off fat and you'll end up with an unwanted food baby. Or so I read somewhere.
  • ndj1979
    Options

200.gif
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

That doesn't really make any sense. Are you saying evolution is responsible for making people fat?
  • ndj1979
    Options

tumblr_mnmhinCwkb1qfhlreo1_540.png
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    Could the OP be losing muscle?
    I am sorry but I dont believe in calori deficit pe se. Our body always adapt to new conditions and tends to increase or decrese its basal metabolism accordingly. One year ago I can create a caloric deficit by consuming 2500 cal. For the last 4 month I have to go less than 1400- 1500cal which is so hard to maintain.
    If the above is accurate, could the OP be losing muscle?

The OP claims to have lost 37lbs in 40 days by eating 500 calories per day. So yes, probably.