Options
1235»

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not buying the age excuse
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've lost weight in my 20s and 30s and don't feel that there is any difference. Today I have an easy app for logging calories instead of slate, chalk, and an abacus. But other than that it's the same.

Agreed. I think the age thing is an excuse. ESPECIALLY if you're only in your 30s.

I'm 50. Should I just not even bother now?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight in my 20s and 30s and don't feel that there is any difference. Today I have an easy app for logging calories instead of slate, chalk, and an abacus. But other than that it's the same.

Agreed. I think the age thing is an excuse. ESPECIALLY if you're only in your 30s.

I don't know.... I stayed the same weight my whole adult life, I put on alot of weight with both my pregnancies in my early twenties, and the weight dropped off quickly and easily without me having to "diet" after my kids were born.
    Then I hit 40 and everything changed :cold_sweat: .This is first time that I've ever had to think about calories, exercise and what foods I should or should not eat.
    What was effortless then, now requires work and effort blaaaahhh

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I don't know.... I stayed the same weight my whole adult life, I put on alot of weight with both my pregnancies in my early twenties, and the weight dropped off quickly and easily without me having to "diet" after my kids were born.
    Then I hit 40 and everything changed :cold_sweat: .This is first time that I've ever had to think about calories, exercise and what foods I should or should not eat.

But I have to wonder, were you more active then?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I've thought about that too, and the answer is no. I've always been sedentary. I'm more active now then I was then.

• Christine_72
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've always, always been a homebody. I only leave the house if I absolutely have to lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I've thought about that too, and the answer is no. I've always been sedentary. I'm more active now then I was then.

Ah okay. Just curious.
  • rwillems
    rwillems Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2270 and your trying to only eat 1470, your starving yourself! By trying to hold your calories to an 800 daily caloric deficit, you are sending a signal to your body that you need to start storing more fat! Two suggestions: First, try increasing your target to 2000 calories. That should net about 1/2 pound weight loss each week (an 1800 caloric target will get you a pound/week --- don't go for less than that). Remember you did not gain your weight in one month, don't try to lose it that way. Many people think that if they just keep cutting back on calories, weight loss will automatically follow. Not true, as you are seeing. The human body is a finely tuned machine that has evolved to KEEP YOU ALIVE. If it thinks you are in danger of starving, then it will do everything it can to prevent said starvation. That includes sending you never ending signals to eat more (and usually foods that will put on the weight). It will slow your metabolism to keep you from losing weight too quickly. It will scavenge your muscle mass and turn that muscle into FAT. So I doubt you are gaining muscle mass, my guess is that even with all the exercising you are doing you are probably losing muscle mass (plus you are not eating enough protein to really put on muscle mass).

Second,balance out your macro nutrients (Carbohydrates, Fats, and Protein). I use 50% Carbohydrates, 20% Fat, and 30% Protein as my personal target. You should find something that works for you. It looks like you are currently running at 65% Carbs, 20% Fat and 15% Protein. Fat is Ok, but double your protein and cut back on carbs (Pizza, Beer, etc)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i started really getting serious about MFP and working out on April 6. I've lost a lot of weight before, but I'm not sure if it because I'm in my thirties now or what but I just can't drop any weight.

Anyway, I started logging everything, even my cheat days. Which was eye opening! After a week of deficit and working out I'd actually eat an entire pounds worth of calories in one day! Negating the entire 6 days. So I reigned that mess in and just stuck within maintenance of cheats were to come up. That's been just over 2 weeks.

I also had a calculated TDEE of 2270 and put my calorie goal at 1470. I workout 5 days a week and try not to eat back my calories. If I do eat back my calories, its about 100-200 calories over 1470, and not everyday.

No, I don't have a scale, though I measure and portion almost all of my food. Plus I try to add a bigger size or 10% more calories to what I'm unsure of. I feel like it's better to over shoot calories than under.

I think my diary is open, so you can see sometimes I sneak chips or ice cream in if my calories allow it. I know I haven't been perfect, but I don't know how it's *kitten* possible I gained almost 10lbs in a month!!! My clothes are not fitting any better. My only improvement is muscle definition in my arms. I Jazzercise, kickbox, and do interval strength training about 50 minutes at day. Sometimes more sometimes less.

Please tell me how I can possibly have *kitten* up this bad??? I mean I never gained this much not trying!

I know I have to live off celery and egg whites and workout three hours a day to really make it work but I was hoping for a conservative sustainable way of life. And yesterday's entry was my *kitten* it all to hell in eating 8lbs I beer and pizza because it doesn't matter anyway.
    I didn't read any responses yet, but I'm sure others have told you that you are eating more than you realize. I notice quick added calories, generic entries, and some plain old inaccurate entries. Also, you go over calories often which can add up.

Go buy yourself a food scale and start accurately calculating your intake and stay at your calorie goals and you will lose weight. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    If you're doing that much exercise it could be that you're gaining muscle mass, which of course weighs a lot more than fat and can make your clothes uncomfortable if it is coupled with a slight increase in fat. You seem to have quite a carb and sugar rich diet so most likely a mixture of the two?
    This is hopeful but doubtful.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    eacupp2101 wrote: »
    you meontioned having noticed musscle definition and working out your weight could be muscle...also drink tons of water to help flush out your body it gets rid of a lot of stuff you dont need in its self...good job deciding to stick to my fitness pal :)

Hopeful but doubtful.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    acollis1 wrote: »
    acollis1 wrote: »
    Donuts, potato chips, pizza OH MY! You need to weigh/ measure everything! Try cutting out some of the crap, you take in alot of sodium! One day you were over by almost 2000 caloires, it only takes 3500 to equal 1 pound, and you were over a couple other days too, it adds up. Allow yourself a "cheat" once a week, not everyday!

Yeah I read the thread and looked at her diary, she's way over and inaccurate. Its amazing how people crucify you for suggesting a little clean eating. You don't have to be so exact with your measurements when your eating whole foods. Palm size serving of lean meat, one piece of fruit, handful of nuts. If measuring and weighing is too overwhelming this is an option

Oh please. A handful of nuts has more calories than my two pieces of bacon weighed out on the scale.

The idea that a handful of nuts is a good snack is so misleading. I can have all of about 12 almonds for that. It sometimes does the trick but not always.

For 30 more calories I can eat an english muffin with a scrambled egg, cheese & turkey sausage. So much more bang for my buck there.

~Lyssa

Agreed. Nuts have their place but are not a low calorie snack. At least for people like me who prefer volume.

30 grams of pistachios seriously fills me up. I eat them slowly and relish every one.

pistachios are so good!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm super tired and haven't read all the replies so if I'm repeating... well, no, I won't apologize. I'll just be adding my voice to the chorus. ;)

First off: I see sodium intake is a little on the high side. I don't see a lot of fluid tracking- but I DO see a lot of liquid calories. So one of the first changes I'd make is drinking more water, black coffee and tea, etc. and not consuming quite as much sodium every day.

Secondly: You mentioned you're doing a lot of working out, enough that you're seeing muscle definition. As I understand it, if you're exercising a lot and not consuming enough fluids, your body is going to retain water like crazy. I've had period where I started working out like crazy (after having not done it in a while) and saw basically no change in the scale for WEEKS. Once the "shock" of the exercise wore off- assuming my fluid intake was where it should be- I'd see a very sudden (and sizable) weight loss.

So basically, I'd surmise that a lot (but not all!!!) of what you're dealing with is water retention.

I'd also have to echo what a lot of people here have already said, and that is: Get a scale, and accurately measure your food. It's entirely likely that your food diaries aren't accurate. On top of it, I'm of the opinion that you could be making dietary choices that are a bit more balanced. Specifically, I'm talking less fat and salt, more protein and (good) carbs. Especially more protein. Like I said before, I think water retention might be part of the problem; however, I also think that eating too much is also to blame.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm super tired and haven't read all the replies so if I'm repeating... well, no, I won't apologize. I'll just be adding my voice to the chorus. ;)

First off: I see sodium intake is a little on the high side. I don't see a lot of fluid tracking- but I DO see a lot of liquid calories. So one of the first changes I'd make is drinking more water, black coffee and tea, etc. and not consuming quite as much sodium every day.

Secondly: You mentioned you're doing a lot of working out, enough that you're seeing muscle definition. As I understand it, if you're exercising a lot and not consuming enough fluids, your body is going to retain water like crazy. I've had period where I started working out like crazy (after having not done it in a while) and saw basically no change in the scale for WEEKS. Once the "shock" of the exercise wore off- assuming my fluid intake was where it should be- I'd see a very sudden (and sizable) weight loss.

So basically, I'd surmise that a lot (but not all!!!) of what you're dealing with is water retention.

I'd also have to echo what a lot of people here have already said, and that is: Get a scale, and accurately measure your food. It's entirely likely that your food diaries aren't accurate. On top of it, I'm of the opinion that you could be making dietary choices that are a bit more balanced. Specifically, I'm talking less fat and salt, more protein and (good) carbs. Especially more protein. Like I said before, I think water retention might be part of the problem; however, I also think that eating too much is also to blame.

Whilst you make decent points (apart from the good carbs / less fat comments) - OP is dealing with innaccurate logging and eating over maintenance
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm 60----guess I should just die. o:) Losing weight depends on your mindset. If you decide you're going to do it, you will. No excuses. B)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think someone "qualified" needs to start a "muscle thread". The newbs seem to be confused as to how one acquires muscle. Hint---it's hard, and doesn't happen by accident. B)

I started one a while back .....it got about 30 pages deep before dying out...
    A locked thread as an announcement on the top of the forum that just says in big red letters "No, you did not gain 10 pounds of muscles from jogging while eating 1200 calories." would suffice.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rwillems wrote: »
    If your TDEE is 2270 and your trying to only eat 1470, your starving yourself! By trying to hold your calories to an 800 daily caloric deficit, you are sending a signal to your body that you need to start storing more fat! Two suggestions: First, try increasing your target to 2000 calories. That should net about 1/2 pound weight loss each week (an 1800 caloric target will get you a pound/week --- don't go for less than that). Remember you did not gain your weight in one month, don't try to lose it that way. Many people think that if they just keep cutting back on calories, weight loss will automatically follow. Not true, as you are seeing. The human body is a finely tuned machine that has evolved to KEEP YOU ALIVE. If it thinks you are in danger of starving, then it will do everything it can to prevent said starvation. That includes sending you never ending signals to eat more (and usually foods that will put on the weight). It will slow your metabolism to keep you from losing weight too quickly. It will scavenge your muscle mass and turn that muscle into FAT. So I doubt you are gaining muscle mass, my guess is that even with all the exercising you are doing you are probably losing muscle mass (plus you are not eating enough protein to really put on muscle mass).

Second,balance out your macro nutrients (Carbohydrates, Fats, and Protein). I use 50% Carbohydrates, 20% Fat, and 30% Protein as my personal target. You should find something that works for you. It looks like you are currently running at 65% Carbs, 20% Fat and 15% Protein. Fat is Ok, but double your protein and cut back on carbs (Pizza, Beer, etc)

Holy broscience, Batman!

An 800 calorie deficit is not starving.
    KEEPING YOU ALIVE is BURNING YOUR FATSTORES first and foremost, only then will your body start by burning muscle that is not being used as much and only when there's basically no fat left will the rest of your muscles and organs be used. Because you know, that's the stuff that KEEPS YOU ALIVE.
    And it doesn't turn muscle into FAT either, that's not how anything works.
    And only after a long sustained large deficit does your body lower your metabolism by a bit and that is a slow reduction. (Hint: Not by enough or fast enough so you'd gain weight on what was a 800 calorie deficit just a few weeks earlier).