Calorie deficit = no muscle mass gain. so why am I stronger?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Novices can get a bit of muscle gains on a deficit, though the strength increases come from taxing your central nervous system. When you recover, from my understanding, your central nervous system is able to more readily recruit motor units and increase the synchronization of the nerves firing. Or something like that.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3057313

Wow... this is incredibly profound for me!
    I have Dysautonomia ( a severe disease of the autonomic nervous system). I also began working out in may but i started lifting 2-3 months ago. Since I started lifting the following things have happened:
    1. I had my first normal EKG. (I used to have severe tachycardia)
    2. My blood pressure has stabilized to the point that i went from 3-4 episodes of fainting a week down to 3 a month.
    3. My bouts of uncontrolled fevers have decreased by at least 50%.
    4. I am off pain medication for the muscle spasms I have in my legs.
    5. No seizures

Doctors have said over and over they have no idea how i was getting better. People with severe Dysautonomia aren't supposed to get better!
    But I THINK I DO! perhaps this neuromuscular adaption is most likely the reason.
  • coachxdave
    Options
    I had a team member ask the very same thing the other day: addressed my opinion about it in this youtube video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TruSHQJQKZo
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it's not true but this whole thing has confused me as well. I DEFINITELY have put on muscle and I've been eating at a deficit for about a year now. I am FAR from obese and I'm not a beginner...Soooo...what gives? Has my body just adjusted to the deficit or what? lol Although, honestly, I don't care what I read on the internet anymore. I just look at my body and see if what I'm doing is working for me personally.
    how do you know you have put on muscle?