Nothing is happening :-(

Options

Replies

• Hisservent
    Hisservent Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I believe, based on various calculators, that my TDEE is about 2245. So subtract 20% and that's 1796....that's what I should be eating a day if I keep up with the amt of exercise I've been doing. And if I don't keep up with it, I need to DECREASE the amt of calories.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    You have two options:

1. If you're exercising regularly, use the TDEE method and subtract 10-20% from your TDEE and not eat back any exercise calories.

2. Put your numbers into MFP and eat close to the goal number including eating back a portion of your exercise calories.

Either one of these will require you to weigh your food on a scale at least long enough to learn proper portions.
  • Hisservent
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    You have two options:

1. If you're exercising regularly, use the TDEE method and subtract 10-20% from your TDEE and not eat back any exercise calories.

2. Put your numbers into MFP and eat close to the goal number including eating back a portion of your exercise calories.

Either one of these will require you to weigh your food on a scale at least long enough to learn proper portions.

I just ordered one and it'll be here on Friday. :smile:
  • kami3006
    Options
    Hisservent wrote: »
    You have two options:

Awesome! . You'll get there. Best of luck!
  • Hisservent
    Options
    You have two options:

Awesome! . You'll get there. Best of luck!

So I DO have to be consuming about 1700 calories to lose weight, based on my activity level. I have always measured food with measuring cups and a tape measure. I mean just today, I measured my banana to make sure I documented the right size. When I measure lasagna, I measure 1 cup. When I eat ice cream, I measure 1/2 cup. etc. Oh well. And I suppose, with a scale I can fit it in right lol.
  • kami3006
    Options
    That number sounds right to me. As you lose some, say 10 pounds, I would recalculate because those numbers will change.

I don't know if you watched the video that was posted but it really demonstrates the discrepancies between measuring and weighing. Me scooping 1/2 cup of ice cream can vary greatly from your scoop despite using the same cup.

Most packages have foods listed in grams or ounces. Grams are more precise if you have the option. For things like bananas, you can use the "bananas-raw" entry and get a much more accurate number. They vary quite a bit in calories. If you use the phone app, scanning packages works well and if you're cooking from scratch, you can use the recipe builder.

Sometimes you need to search for the correct entry because there are many user created entries that are not accurate. But the more you do it, the easier it becomes.
  • kmdigan
    kmdigan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I have about 150 lbs to lose and I've been counting calories, weighing food and doing cardio/weights for at least 30 min 5x a week for 6 weeks now. Everything is the same. Weight, clothes fitting, etc. It's very depressing and hard to stay on track but I'm hoping (like someone mentioned above) that it's just water weight from years of no exercise to now exercising a lot. Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    People you can calculate all you want, but OP is NOT weighing her food
    She has no idea how much calories she eats.

So advising her to eat more is not really a good idea.

thank you.

ugh!
  • kami3006
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

She got a scale so it's all good. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

we can all sleep easy now LOL ;)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

lol

sometimes i really wonder why i bother hehehe

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

lol

me..... all. the. time.
  • Hisservent
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

lol

why you bother to help or sleep?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

lol

to answer the same questions over and over and over and over

i really like sleep......
  • kami3006
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

lol

dmvlu8ke0pyf.jpg

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

lol

dmvlu8ke0pyf.jpg

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas like that.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

thank you.

ugh!

lol

Indeed to help, specially because a lot of people who post this kinda questions only read the replays that suits them best ( like eat more, no you are doing it right etc) and often enough you never hear back from them.

The majority here weigh their food and lose weight. Try to help out others, but sometimes its like the new posts asking the exact same question are quicker made than the answers are made.
    And often you get rude answers back ( i dont say the OP did, but often it is not the answer that suits them or dont like the answer)

so yes sometimes i think i need to back off a bit lol
    I dont have any problem losing weight so maybe dont hang around that much hehehe

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I just want to clear up the idea from a couple pages back that "you have to eat enough to burn the calories." Honey, no. Your body is always burning calories -- i.e., your metabolism is always running and burning energy for at least basic bodily functions -- unless you are dead or severely, SEVERELY ill. If you're not losing, you're eating more than you think you are (and I'm glad you ordered a scale). You don't maintain or gain from eating too few calories. Not ever. It's a charming idea, but it isn't remotely true. Sorry.
  • Hisservent
    edited May 2015
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I just want to clear up the idea from a couple pages back that "you have to eat enough to burn the calories." Honey, no. Your body is always burning calories -- i.e., your metabolism is always running and burning energy for at least basic bodily functions -- unless you are dead or severely, SEVERELY ill. If you're not losing, you're eating more than you think you are (and I'm glad you ordered a scale). You don't maintain or gain from eating too few calories. Not ever. It's a charming idea, but it isn't remotely true. Sorry.

You have to eat ENOUGH calories to be able to burn the fat. If you eat less and work out more, you're not going to burn enough. There's nothing to burn except muscle and tissue. Your metabolism slows down, decreases leptin levels, and decreases your energy. If I'm working out 4-5x a week, burning 300+ calories a day through exercise, that's over 1000 burned a week. I need to be consuming roughly 1750 calories a day based on the amt of exercise I'm doing. I was NOT eating that much. WITH OR WITHOUT the scale.......But I am getting one so we'll see. I WAS eating 1300 calories and NOT adding more after a workout. You factor in the workout, which burned 300 of that. I am getting a scale and I will make sure to stick with AT LEAST 1700 calories and see what happens. I think my metabolism just slowed down and I'm also going to switch up my workout routine and try something different. Maybe some Zumba for a few weeks :-)
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've read this whole thread and honestly don't see what the point of the discussion was. OP is losing 1/2 pound a week. What she's doing is working right now. She has unrealistic expectations about her weight loss. In fact, she's 20% of her way to her goal in just a month. That means at her current pace, she will hit her target in four more months. That is progress.

Hisservent, what you are doing is fine. You can probably increase your rate of loss by weighing your food, but I think you are better served by being patient. What is the hurry? Are you trying to make weight for a fight or something? It probably took you years to put on the extra weight. What's wrong with waiting five months to take it off?

Honestly, most people on this board who struggle to lose weight would love to see the type of progress you're making.