I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What's the best way to make a fresh non bitter tomato sauce? My boyfriend is ultra picky about red sauce as he is used to what his Italian grandmother used to make (of course she didn't pass along a recipe) I've tried a thousand variations and even when I find one I like the second time I make it, it seems to come out different or not have as much depth to it or taste bitter.

Hello! Tomatoes or tomato sauce shouldn't be bitter. They are innately acidic with some sweetness to them. Anyhow, here is something you can try that won't involve the hassle or inconsistency of using fresh tomatoes...

Two, 28 oz. cans crushed plum tomatoes
    1 heaped tbsp. tomato paste
    2 small onions, fine dice
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 medium stalks celery, pureed in a food processor
    1/2 bunch basil, leaves, cut
    Olive oil
    Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Open the canned tomatoes and with clean hands, crush the plum tomatoes into smaller pieces. Set aside with the juice.

2. Preheat a large, deep pan or Dutch oven over a medium stovetop flame. When the pan is hot, add a thin layer of Olive oil, and wait until the oil is hot.

3. Sweat down and lightly season the onion, garlic, and celery until soft and translucent. Don't rush the process and don't brown the veg.

4. When sweated, create a well in the center of the pan and add the tomato paste. Using a wooden spoon, cook off the tomato paste for about 1 minute and then stir it in with the veg.

5. Add the crushed plum tomatoes and remaining liquid. Add the bay leaf.

6. Reduce with a gentle simmer until the flavor and texture is desireable. Correct seasoning. Turn off heat. Stir in the fresh basil.

7. Ask your boyfriend how it tastes. You can cool and then freeze any leftover sauce.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    What's the best way to make a fresh non bitter tomato sauce? My boyfriend is ultra picky about red sauce as he is used to what his Italian grandmother used to make (of course she didn't pass along a recipe) I've tried a thousand variations and even when I find one I like the second time I make it, it seems to come out different or not have as much depth to it or taste bitter.

Hello! Tomatoes or tomato sauce shouldn't be bitter. They are innately acidic with some sweetness to them. Anyhow, here is something you can try that won't involve the hassle or inconsistency of using fresh tomatoes...

1 clove garlic, crushed
    Olive oil
    1 bay leaf

1. Open the canned tomatoes and with clean hands, crush the plum tomatoes into smaller pieces. Set aside with the juice.

2. Preheat a large, deep pan or Dutch oven over a medium stovetop flame. When the pan is hot, add a thin layer of Olive oil, and wait until the oil is hot.

3. Sweat down and lightly season the onion, garlic, and celery until soft and translucent. Don't rush the process and don't brown the veg.

4. When sweated, create a well in the center of the pan and add the tomato paste. Using a wooden spoon, cook off the tomato paste for about 1 minute and then stir it in with the veg.

6. Reduce with a gentle simmer until the flavor and texture is desireable. Correct seasoning. Turn off heat. Stir in the fresh basil.

7. Ask your boyfriend how it tastes. You can cool and then freeze any leftover sauce.

Thank you.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bang for the buck, what is your favorite cut of beef?

I love Hanger steak. There is no contest in flavor when you compare it to the typical steak cuts people buy. Hanger steak resembles flank steak, but because of its location near the cow's diaphragm and kidneys, you get that awesome organ meat flavor with steak texture.

Serve rare or medium rare, to avoid toughness and off-putting gameyness.

Sounds good. I've never heard of it. Do you have a secondary suggestion? One that I might be able to get at a regular grocery store?
    Thanks for this thread. I'm enjoying it.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I am a bit of a sous vide junkie :) do you season before sealing or after or does it depend on the food?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    sorry specifically referring to salt
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Bang for the buck, what is your favorite cut of beef?

I love Hanger steak. There is no contest in flavor when you compare it to the typical steak cuts people buy. Hanger steak resembles flank steak, but because of its location near the cow's diaphragm and kidneys, you get that awesome organ meat flavor with steak texture.

Serve rare or medium rare, to avoid toughness and off-putting gameyness.

Sounds good. I've never heard of it. Do you have a secondary suggestion? One that I might be able to get at a regular grocery store?
    Thanks for this thread. I'm enjoying it.

2-inch thick, bone-in, well marbled ribeye.

Prepare using that link I sent a few pages back on steaks. Preheat outdoor grill or ridged indoor grill pan. Before cooking, steak should be room temp. And surface should be devoid of moisture. Coat with oil and cook mid rare.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Beets! What do I do with a beet. I bought some, and have heard that you can cook the green parts too.

Roast, pickle, or braise them.

For roasting, preheat oven to 375 F. Fold a 12- by 24-inch sheet of aluminum foil in half to form a square. Crimp two edges to form a pouch. Toss beets, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl until coated. Add to pouch and crimp remaining edge to seal. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Roast until beets are completely tender and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into beet through foil shows little to no resistance, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel by gently rubbing skin under cold running water. Cut beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Toss in a salad with goat cheese, arugula, fruit, nuts, salt and pepper, and a simple shallot vinaigrette.

You can blanch the beet greens via the big pot blanching method I mentioned on page 1. Toss them in with the arugula, or make a pesto-based vinaigrette with them instead.

Question: What's the best way to make a fresh non bitter tomato sauce? My boyfriend is ultra picky about red sauce as he is used to what his Italian grandmother used to make (of course she didn't pass along a recipe) I've tried a thousand variations and even when I find one I like the second time I make it, it seems to come out different or not have as much depth to it or taste bitter.

Not a chef, but I did have an Italian grandmother, and she taught me how to make her tomato sauce. Sauce and meatballs were sadly the only things she could cook.

Anyway, if your boyfriend's grandmother was anything like my grandmother, the real secret was in taking everything long and slow. Sweating the aromatics (onion, garlic) down, and then letting the sauce simmer all day over super low heat, stirring every now and then.

I've made the same sauce and not cooked it for long using the same method, and while it's fine, it's nowhere near as good as one that's cooked for a good long time.

• sixxpoint
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I am a bit of a sous vide junkie :) do you season before sealing or after or does it depend on the food?

Depends on the food. For pastrami, you obviously add everything beforehand, including salt and pink during salt. Salt in a marinade/rub is tricky with most proteins though since it can alter the texture when done too early, for too long. Marinate a steak overnight with heavy salt and you'll get more of an unappealing sausage-like texture the next day.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to find a realistic diet without starving myself to lose at least 15 pounds in the next 2 months. Right now I'm living off of spinach salads, fruits, veggies, and lots of water. I also go the gym at least 5 times per week.

Pretty much every dish mentioned in this thread could be eaten on a realistic diet, assuming sensible portion sizes. Starving yourself to get unrealistically fast results is a bad idea, as is trying to live off nothing but salads.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find a realistic diet without starving myself to lose at least 15 pounds in the next 2 months. Right now I'm living off of spinach salads, fruits, veggies, and lots of water. I also go the gym at least 5 times per week.

Pretty much every dish mentioned in this thread could be eaten on a realistic diet, assuming sensible portion sizes. Starving yourself to get unrealistically fast results is a bad idea, as is trying to live off nothing but salads.

Well said.

Drastic cuts in calories is not the correct route. Learn what your TDEE is and cut 10-20% off that figure if you wish to lose weight. This healthy, and realistic goal, combined with a proper workout routine, and a variety of whole, minimally processed foods will get you in the best shape and the best health of your life.

Micronutrients are quite easy to fulfill as long as you don't live off of fast food. What is more crucial is hitting the appropriate amount of protein & dietary fat, and not overeating beyond your activity level.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Beets! What do I do with a beet. I bought some, and have heard that you can cook the green parts too.

Roast, pickle, or braise them.

For roasting, preheat oven to 375 F. Fold a 12- by 24-inch sheet of aluminum foil in half to form a square. Crimp two edges to form a pouch. Toss beets, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl until coated. Add to pouch and crimp remaining edge to seal. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Roast until beets are completely tender and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into beet through foil shows little to no resistance, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel by gently rubbing skin under cold running water. Cut beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Toss in a salad with goat cheese, arugula, fruit, nuts, salt and pepper, and a simple shallot vinaigrette.

You can blanch the beet greens via the big pot blanching method I mentioned on page 1. Toss them in with the arugula, or make a pesto-based vinaigrette with them instead.

Question: What's the best way to make a fresh non bitter tomato sauce? My boyfriend is ultra picky about red sauce as he is used to what his Italian grandmother used to make (of course she didn't pass along a recipe) I've tried a thousand variations and even when I find one I like the second time I make it, it seems to come out different or not have as much depth to it or taste bitter.

Not a chef, but I did have an Italian grandmother, and she taught me how to make her tomato sauce. Sauce and meatballs were sadly the only things she could cook.

Anyway, if your boyfriend's grandmother was anything like my grandmother, the real secret was in taking everything long and slow. Sweating the aromatics (onion, garlic) down, and then letting the sauce simmer all day over super low heat, stirring every now and then.

I've made the same sauce and not cooked it for long using the same method, and while it's fine, it's nowhere near as good as one that's cooked for a good long time.

Yep that's how I do it simmered all day with meatballs and sausage. Sometimes it's amazing usually it's good, but it's not consistent. I think the plum tomatoes will make a difference, I have a feeling that's why it's inconsistent.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Carrots are better glazed. Pan + Lid along with a small amount of water, some kosher salt, a knob of butter, a sprinkle of sugar or honey, maybe some herbs, and the carrots in one, even layer. Reduce with the lid propped slightly of center. When the water evaporates, the sugars will begin to glaze and caramelize the carrots.

For the green beans, I would still start with blanching in bulk, shocking in ice water, and storing in the refrigerator. When it is time to prepare dinner, all you have to do is get a pan hot and saute them in oil with aromatics like garlic, shallots, maybe some red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. They will brown slightly in the hot oil and the texture won't be so crunchy.

Plain red bell peppers, nothing else?

You could slice in half lengthwise 4 times, remove the stem and seeds, coat with oil, season with salt, and grill them indoors on a panini press until softened and slightly charred.
    When beets are cool enough to handle, peel by gently rubbing skin under cold running water. Cut beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Toss in a salad with goat cheese, arugula, fruit, nuts, salt and pepper, and a simple shallot vinaigrette.

This all sounds so good it's inspiring. And it's all just vegetables and ingredients ha. Very simple, totally doable. How fun! It's pretty cool to get all these know-hows ")

Anyway, I have a very beginner's type of question:

How in the name of Jebus can I hardboil eggs without the whites getting all stuck in the shell?? Is it luck?? Is it the eggs?? It only happens sometimes, so was it something I said?? Sometimes the shell peels off so effortlessly. Not today. Today every piece of shell had a scrape (or chunk) of precious egg white on it = /

I like my hardboiled eggs with a very soft, creamy yolk, I don't know if this has anything to do with it? I pull 'em out pretty early.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say thanks sixxpoint. Loving your thoughts and ideas. I'll be reading more.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ... If I were you, I would first find out if all of those restrictions/limitations are absolutely medically necessary, and if so, hire someone to work with you and your diet. If this is the daily struggle you have to endure, then I doubt a few suggestions on the internet will help you in the long run. Good luck!

Appreciate the thought anyway, and your following suggestion on marinating veggies and meats was very helpful, actually, for adding some flavor, and a bit of cooking advice is what I was hoping for, so thank you for the idea. :-)

Unfortunately, the restrictions are actually all medically necessary. I've got a nutritionist at the moment and we simply try our best to see about adding in new foods when we can, and coping with losing foods when it happens, but even she admits that she's not much of a cook, so anything to do with flavor and texture is all on me.

I realize it looks like a lot of limitations, but honestly, it feels like I can eat quite a lot at the moment. I'm at the higher end of functioning when it comes to people with my disorder (called MCAS -http://mastocytosis.ca/MSC%20Patient%20Experience%20April2012.pdf ) so I can eat a fair amount safely right now, after working for nearly 5 years to get to this point. Some folks with this disorder are no longer able to eat regular food any more and have to rely on medically prepared, hypoallergenic liquids for their nutrients.

So I truly feel very lucky, just wishing I was a better cook so I could do something more with what I can eat, is all.

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    what foods might I be missing that are causing me to feel tired all the time. I do eat decently overall and I take daily multi vitamins and iron supplements just in case. I have really been struggling with energy lately though.
  • kata88
    kata88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was told by a chef to use Kosher salt and never table salt (iodized), and also that Sea Salt is healthier than table salt. But what is the difference between Sea Salt and Kosher Salt and which one is healthier, and should it still be restricted in a healthy diet?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

1 clove garlic, crushed
    Olive oil
    1 bay leaf

Thank you.

Not wanting to take away from sixxpoint---he is awesome, but I live in Italy and learned to cook from 3 little old aunts of my husbands, from Puglia (southern Italy). I will explain how they made simple sauce. Put extra virgin olive oil in a deep sauce pan and heat, add peeled red garlic cloves, brown slightly and take out, while oil is still hot throw in tomatoes (fresh or canned)--there will be a great sizzle, add salt, pepper and fresh basil (they say always break up basil with your hands--never cut it). This is the basic, now you can add whatever you like. As for bitterness, they would add a little sugar--I know, I know, it's considered taboo here, but that's what they did. I don't find that I have to cook it a long time. We use Roma tomatos alot, and they are not watery. I can easily do this in 1/2 hour. Put this on al-dent pasta with Parmigiana Reggiana. Best. B)
  • zoltanszecsi
    zoltanszecsi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these information.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    What are some high protein low fat meal recipes?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    @sixxpoint dear, I'm still awaiting your advice re binder.

I responded to that.
    Chewitz wrote: »
    What are some high protein low fat meal recipes?

Anything with a decent amount of meat, legumes, nuts, seeds, eggs, dairy, mushrooms, fish... Any reason why you are targeting low fat? Adequate dietary fat is crucial to your health.
    kata88 wrote: »
    I was told by a chef to use Kosher salt and never table salt (iodized), and also that Sea Salt is healthier than table salt. But what is the difference between Sea Salt and Kosher Salt and which one is healthier, and should it still be restricted in a healthy diet?

In a fine dining kitchen, you will never see superfine, iodized table salt. Chefs typically use kosher salt when cooking. There are open pint containers of kosher salt on every station. Kosher salt crystals are much larger, so when you're cooking at a high pace, you can pinch the salt with your fingertips, toss it in the pan with the food, and not run as high of a risk of overseasoning (by tossing in an equal amount of superfine table salt. Also, you don't need the extra iodide.

I used kosher salt for almost everything, but sea salt is best for all fish and cold, small bites. Sea salt is typically finer, but not as fine as table salt. Bland fish requires a bit more of an even seasoning with the finer sea salt so you taste good flavor in every bite. As far as health goes, I don't think you will become Superman/Superwoman because of your choice in salt. There are some good specialty salts, but designer salts are often more about breaking your wallet than anything else. Don't buy into the health applications of it... Go for flavor instead.
    what foods might I be missing that are causing me to feel tired all the time. I do eat decently overall and I take daily multi vitamins and iron supplements just in case. I have really been struggling with energy lately though.

Not sure. Perhaps too much alcohol, over-consumption of processed foods, specifically processed sugar. Lack of activity or extreme overactivity can also do it, or it may be something that is inherent to the makeup of your brain. There can be so many variables so it's best to see a professional if it is serious.

Iron supps are typically not need for men. What multivitamin are you taking? I'm pretty good with determining adequate micronutrient amounts. Maybe you are getting too little or too much of specific vitamins/minerals. Also, do you take the multi because you do not get a regular variety of whole, minimally processed foods, primarily fruits and veggies?