I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    It's my brother's birthday and he has invited us to a party at an Italian restaurant. I've look over their menu to decide what I'll order ahead of time but don't know which of my choices would be best. Any chicken will be boneless & skinless and I can substitute whole wheat pasta for regular.
    Here are my top choices:
    Chicken Cacciatore
    Chicken Parmigana- they will grill a breast and no breading on it
    WW pasta with "every veggie in the kitchen" and EVOO and chili flakes
    We eat here about once a month and these are my go to dinners, but would love your opinion.
    Thank you!

Hello!! So, I'm going to be a little critical here... Your body doesn't care about what foods you eat as long as it is properly nourished. What matters is your palate... Do you enjoy what you're eating? Spending time with family, friends, and food is supposed to be fun. Choose whatever excites you the most, whether that be your favorite dish or something new. If you are watching your figure and nutrition then keep portion control, daily macro progress, and food variety in the back of your mind.

That said:

-Dark meat chicken is not bad.
    -Semolina pasta is not bad.
    -Other, non-chicken dishes are not bad.
    -Breadcrumbs are not bad.

Don't go by fad diet rules or ridiculous restrictions. Eating a rich variety of whole, minimally processed foods is key. Just don't overeat if your activity level cannot keep up with your calorie intake.

Thanks for your input but you didn't answer my question.
    I enjoy all of the options I listed and am wondering which would be the lowest in calories.
    I'm headed to Paris for a few weeks soon and would certainly rather spend my calories there than in our local italian restaurant. I'm trying to lose a few more pounds to give me extra wiggle room for crepes and burgundys.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    It's my brother's birthday and he has invited us to a party at an Italian restaurant. I've look over their menu to decide what I'll order ahead of time but don't know which of my choices would be best. Any chicken will be boneless & skinless and I can substitute whole wheat pasta for regular.
    Here are my top choices:
    Chicken Cacciatore
    We eat here about once a month and these are my go to dinners, but would love your opinion.
    Thank you!

Hello!! So, I'm going to be a little critical here... Your body doesn't care about what foods you eat as long as it is properly nourished. What matters is your palate... Do you enjoy what you're eating? Spending time with family, friends, and food is supposed to be fun. Choose whatever excites you the most, whether that be your favorite dish or something new. If you are watching your figure and nutrition then keep portion control, daily macro progress, and food variety in the back of your mind.

That said:

-Dark meat chicken is not bad.
    -Semolina pasta is not bad.
    -Other, non-chicken dishes are not bad.
    -Breadcrumbs are not bad.

Don't go by fad diet rules or ridiculous restrictions. Eating a rich variety of whole, minimally processed foods is key. Just don't overeat if your activity level cannot keep up with your calorie intake.

Thanks for your input but you didn't answer my question.
    I enjoy all of the options I listed and am wondering which would be the lowest in calories.
    I'm headed to Paris for a few weeks soon and would certainly rather spend my calories there than in our local italian restaurant. I'm trying to lose a few more pounds to give me extra wiggle room for crepes and burgundys.

Out of Cacciatore and Parmigiana? ...Cacciatore, because it doesn't contain a boatload of cheese.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Depends on my mood. But really, every flavor is my favorite. As long as I'm getting ice cream, I'm happy.

Have you ever tried the Talenti Sea Salt Caramel w/dark chocolate chunks? Just had that the other day. Almost tasted as good as homemade!

No I haven't tried that one! But I just checked the Wegmans app, and they carry it, so I added it to my grocery list.

I have a weakness for cinnamon ice cream... any kind of ice cream with cinnamon in it. (Even Ben & Jerry's cinnamon bun ice cream).

And if I ever see tiramisu gelato, I buy it. No question.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Here are my top choices:
    Chicken Cacciatore
    We eat here about once a month and these are my go to dinners,

Out of Cacciatore and Parmigiana? ...Cacciatore, because it doesn't contain a boatload of cheese.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    We can ask you ANYTHING? Okay then, here it goes:

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

It matters. :)

Depends on my mood. But really, every flavor is my favorite. As long as I'm getting ice cream, I'm happy.

Have you ever tried the Talenti Sea Salt Caramel w/dark chocolate chunks? Just had that the other day. Almost tasted as good as homemade!

I've been following along on this thread waiting for any "gotcha" moments where the OP offered up some broscience or some misguided cooking advice... so far I haven't seen any, and you won me over with the mention of Talenti Sea Salt Caramel...

OP (and others who love good ice cream and sweets) you should consider joining this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/22569-where-we-love-to-love-gelato-and-ice-cream

We've got some pretty handy home bakers and ice cream craftspeople...

• Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

OP (and others who love good ice cream and sweets) you should consider joining this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/22569-where-we-love-to-love-gelato-and-ice-cream

We've got some pretty handy home bakers and ice cream craftspeople...

I'm in! I budget calories for ice cream almost every day.
  • KCJ120
    KCJ120 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I eat take out where can I find some food that's healthy?
    What are some tips on how to eat less carbs and what foods can still fill me up?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    KCJ120 wrote: »
    When I eat take out where can I find some food that's healthy?
    What are some tips on how to eat less carbs and what foods can still fill me up?

1) Depends on your area. I would target a place that offers whole, minimally processed foods rich in variety without industrial trans fats.

2) Why are you shooting for less carbs? There is no benefit to doing so unless you have a specific, diagnosed medical condition.

3) Protein is the most satiating macronutrient, so foods rich in protein will fill you up best.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Thank you, @sixxpoint, for offering your time and knowledge. I haven't thought of anything to ask, but I have learned a lot from everyone else. Thanks!
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    I love this thread. Thank you, @sixxpoint, for offering your time and knowledge. I haven't thought of anything to ask, but I have learned a lot from everyone else. Thanks!
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I've been following along on this thread waiting for any "gotcha" moments where the OP offered up some broscience or some misguided cooking advice... so far I haven't seen any, and you won me over with the mention of Talenti Sea Salt Caramel...

THANKS!!!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Do you have any favorite spices you like to use for seasoning stir-fried veggies?

ETA: Also for boiled carrots or green beans? My wife and I prefer the taste and texture of soft boiled carrots/green beans over blanched.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Do you have any favorite spices you like to use for seasoning stir-fried veggies?

I thought I'd toss in my two cents on this one: I have a handmade spice mix of equal parts ground cinnamon and ginger, with a little sugar added in. I like to combine this mixture with ground black pepper, ground onion and ground garlic powder. No salt: I learned how to cook when my parents both got sick and went on salt-restricted diets, so I never got into the habit of cooking with salt. I do cook with wine a lot, to add depth and flavor.

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »

I thought I'd toss in my two cents on this one: I have a handmade spice mix of equal parts ground cinnamon and ginger, with a little sugar added in. I like to combine this mixture with ground black pepper, ground onion and ground garlic powder. No salt: I learned how to cook when my parents both got sick and went on salt-restricted diets, so I never got into the habit of cooking with salt. I do cook with wine a lot, to add depth and flavor.

I use either low-sodium soy sauce or fish sauce in place of straight salt, and I try to marinade my meats in some kind of hot sauce like sambal olek or use some seasoned rice wine vinegar.
  • sixxpoint
    Options

ETA: Also for boiled carrots or green beans? My wife and I prefer the taste and texture of soft boiled carrots/green beans over blanched.

It depends on the meal as a whole and what type of cuisine I am preparing. For instance, Ras el Hanout if I'm going Morrocan or Chinese 5-spice if I'm going that route.

This vendor offers an array of spices, spice blends, teas, and herbs: https://www.worldspice.com/
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Also for boiled carrots or green beans? My wife and I prefer the taste and texture of soft boiled carrots/green beans over blanched.

Carrots are better glazed. Pan + Lid along with a small amount of water, some kosher salt, a knob of butter, a sprinkle of sugar or honey, maybe some herbs, and the carrots in one, even layer. Reduce with the lid propped slightly of center. When the water evaporates, the sugars will begin to glaze and caramelize the carrots.

For the green beans, I would still start with blanching in bulk, shocking in ice water, and storing in the refrigerator. When it is time to prepare dinner, all you have to do is get a pan hot and saute them in oil with aromatics like garlic, shallots, maybe some red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. They will brown slightly in the hot oil and the texture won't be so crunchy.
  • stuartm2015
    stuartm2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What can I do to make my chicken + roasted veg lunches a bit more interesting?
  • sixxpoint
    Options

Strive more more diversity and don't eat just chicken and roasted veg lunches.
  • stuartm2015
    stuartm2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Strive more more diversity and don't eat just chicken and roasted veg lunches.

Great advice. Wish I had thought of that!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Thanks!! I'd just been using mrs dash chipotle seasoning or garlic powder and figured there's GOT to be better options (much as I like mrs dash lol).
    I'll definitely be trying the sautéed green beans!!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Say you're going to have red bell peppers as a side with a steak...what would you do with them?