I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JennRutts wrote: »
    Hi there!

What would you suggest would be a good way to keep hunger pangs at bay? i.e. what foods would you suggest to help me feel fuller for longer?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hello,

Protein is the most satiating macronutrient, so any food high in protein would be the answer. However, if you find yourself snacking on small items throughout the day (vs. enjoying a typical sit down breakfast, lunch, & dinner), then your overall nutrition is probably lacking. In which case, you should learn to incorporate the specific nutrients need more of. Use MFP to determine how your daily macronutrient, micronutrient, and fiber intake look. Fill in those gaps with foods that help you to hit your goals. If you are very inconsistent with micronutrients, then a good multivitamin can help.

Appetite suppressants are also an option, but I would not rely on a regular, daily use of supplements to attain your goals. They are more beneficial for obese people who have an extremely difficult time curbing their typical appetites (not thin people who want to lose only 5-15 more lbs). Being in a caloric deficit will be the primary factor in losing weight for everyone. Essentially, eat less/move more.

I highly suggest you start here and not even look into a fat burner. You should first cover your essentials and let your diet do the work.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-2.html

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-2.html
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    Is the black parts( burntish) bad for you when you roast vegetable? Toast bread & barbecue meats? carcinogenic? over frying onions, browning? All Tastes great, :) is this healthy or bad way of cooking?

I wouldn't intentionally burn food and then eat it. Great cooks use a variety of their senses, including sight, smell, feel, sound, and common sense in order to prevent undercooking, overcooking/burning, etc.

With that said, the charred end of a roast beef which has been slow cooking for 8 hours is quite delicious. Though I can't comment on the science of whether or not char is actually bad for you. Everything in moderation, I guess.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    There is so many people pro meat eating & so many for just vegetable & fruit eating, so many totally against dairy.

Do people who only eat vegetables & fruit look healthier or not?

& those whole don't eat dairy do they look healthier or not?

& do meat eaters look healthier than the above 2?

What is the best & healthiest way to eat?

I see you created a thread with these same questions. To help others, I will paste my response that I gave to you in that thread.

To achieve a healthy diet:

1. Stay within the ballpark of your macronutrient targets. Do not overeat.
    2. Predominate your intake with a rich variety of whole and minimally refined foods.
    3. Leave a minority of the diet open for indulgences (10-20% guideline). Do not abuse alcohol.
    4. Ignore the rules of fad diets and stick with foods that fit your personal preference and tolerance.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    JennRutts wrote: »
    Hi there!

What would you suggest would be a good way to keep hunger pangs at bay? i.e. what foods would you suggest to help me feel fuller for longer?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hello,

Protein is the most satiating macronutrient, so any food high in protein would be the answer. However, if you find yourself snacking on small items throughout the day (vs. enjoying a typical sit down breakfast, lunch, & dinner), then your overall nutrition is probably lacking. In which case, you should learn to incorporate the specific nutrients need more of. Use MFP to determine how your daily macronutrient, micronutrient, and fiber intake look. Fill in those gaps with foods that help you to hit your goals. If you are very inconsistent with micronutrients, then a good multivitamin can help.

Appetite suppressants are also an option, but I would not rely on a regular, daily use of supplements to attain your goals. They are more beneficial for obese people who have an extremely difficult time curbing their typical appetites (not thin people who want to lose only 5-15 more lbs). Being in a caloric deficit will be the primary factor in losing weight for everyone. Essentially, eat less/move more.

I highly suggest you start here and not even look into a fat burner. You should first cover your essentials and let your diet do the work.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-2.html

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-2.html

Hm, I wanted to read these :+1: , but they're all 404's it seems.

Can you provide the correct links? :mrgreen:
  • 1Ginabb
    1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the chart. Also, any ideas for quick tasty veggies. I am finding myself eating the same dishes over and over. I have some really good ones, but I'd like something different. I love broccoli, zucchini, squash, spinach, brussel spouts, anything leafy green. I also love Asian, Indian, Mexican, anything spicy.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1Ginabb wrote: »
    Thanks for the chart. Also, any ideas for quick tasty veggies. I am finding myself eating the same dishes over and over. I have some really good ones, but I'd like something different. I love broccoli, zucchini, squash, spinach, brussel spouts, anything leafy green. I also love Asian, Indian, Mexican, anything spicy.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/04/crispy-broccoli-with-lemon-and-garlic/ (can do with asparagus, too)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/roasted-brussels-sprouts-and-shallots-with-balsamic-vinegar-thanksgiving-recipe.html (works with asparagus and haricot verts as well)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/roasted-brussel-brussels-sprouts-with-caramelized-onions-bacon-recipe.html (add some roasted corn to this)

For zucchini, squash, and peeled eggplant, slice all lengthwise. Marinate with a simple red wine vinegar dressing with a ton of whole, fresh, bruised herbs, as well as olive oil, salt and pepper, and a dash of dijon (some red pepper flake for spicy). After they marinate for at least 1 hour, grill to attain grill deep marks, and then serve. You can also add roasted red bell peppers to the mix.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have a question about shrimp. I try to buy wild caught, domestic shrimp for flavor and sustainability. Generally I find it easier to buy frozen except for the time of year they are locally in season. Sometimes the come peeled, sometimes not, with variations of de-veining and de-tailing as well. The peeled one are some much easier to use but many recipes call for the shell on. I have made some shell-on recipes with shell-off shrimp with no perceived problems.

I'm trying to understand the shell on vs off in recipes. Also, am I correct that when buying fresh its best to have the shell on?

Thanks
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I always buy large, raw shrimp with their shells on. The easy-peel ones are okay, but I would avoid completely shelled or pre-cooked shrimp. Unless you visit a specialty supermarket, it will be tough to find shrimp from more than your basic 2 to 3 supermarket vendors.

A simple trick to make peeling easier is to use kitchen shears (scissors) to slice the shell off the backside with one clip.

On a side note, there is a lot of flavor in the shells. You can make a great shrimp stock or soup with them... or even use them to reinforce a sauce.
  • 1Ginabb
    1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SophiaSerrao
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the corrected links.

I have another question, if I may. Whenever I eat out for non-fun reasons (my job involves a lot of traveling at times), I try to choose a nutritious, deficit-friendly option (you know, along the lines of beef, chicken or fish and veggies) and I just eyeball the portions and log 'em later.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten pretty good at guesstimating meats and vegetables, but I never know how much oil (and possibly other stuff like sugar) to account for. So I log one to one and a half tbsp of cooking oil.

¿Does this sound reasonably accurate to you? ¿Any tips or hints for better restaurant logging?

(When I'm out for fun I'm not this concerned.) (And I'm (usually) never one to bum the waiters out with questions or demands lol.)

Any insights would be appreciated. Thnks!!
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's always going to be a guess in that case. Your best option is to make an educated guess. Like you said, it is wise to learn what 6 oz. of chicken looks like. or 10 oz. of beef and so on. If you are overeating, you will know because the scale won't budge for weeks.

In regard to sugars and oils, I would advise to first look at the meal as a whole and then breaking it down by individual components. For example, search for the typical macros and calories in General Tso's Chicken Combination Platter with Broccoli & Rice. If any other areas are listed as N/A or "0" and you know they are incorrect, then move on to the next listing. If the fat is something extraordinarily high like 70 grams per 6 oz. serving (a good fistful), or low like 5 grams, then common sense will tell you that is incorrect info. Once you have a basic groundwork, you can make a guess that you're getting 1/2 cup of broccoli (perhaps) and 8 oz. of chicken (maybe) and 8 oz. cooked rice (possibly). If you wanted to be super strict, you could calculate them separately, while adding an educated guess of flour, hoisin sauce, and other mixed veggies as separate entries. I feel like this is a lot of work, but some people do it.

Portion control is always the fall back for me when I am cutting. For instance, I realize that General Tso's take-out will likely be in the 1500+ calorie range, so maybe I'll eat 1/2 or 1/3 of the combo platter and save the rest for tomorrow. Common sense also tells you that this food is high in sodium. Therefore, don't complete your daily MFP diary with only 3 cups of water. Everyone should be getting at least 8 cups of water everyday anyways.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Everyone should be getting at least 8 cups of water everyday anyways.

LOL. No.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386

• sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options

LOL. No.

Thanks for your contribution and your TV News article on the topic. Here is a empirical study on the matter:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20356431

Old recommendation of 1 gallon per day was overkill. Modern studies based on urine analysis and diet suggest the following is more than enough:

3000 ml for men... 12 cups
    2200 ml for women... 9 cups

At least 8 cups per day is especially important if you're taking diuretics, if your diet is high in sodium, if you use creatine, if you drink alcohol, or exercise/sweat a lot.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    my parents came to visit and left a head of cabbage in the fridge. You have a simple recipe/idea for making it that does not include any kind of oil/butter as oil is unwanted calories for me.

I recently made Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls. The recipes I found called for ground beef. I use 7% ground beef so it is not as fattening, but I am sure any ground meat will work well.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to answer questions and share your knowledge.
    I love, love, green beans but never knew how to make them like in the restaurants. I'm going to try the "blanching". :)
  • SophiaSerrao
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's always going to be a guess in that case. Your best option is to make an educated guess. Like you said, it is wise to learn what 6 oz. of chicken looks like. or 10 oz. of beef and so on. If you are overeating, you will know because the scale won't budge for weeks.

In regard to sugars and oils, I would advise to first look at the meal as a whole and then breaking it down by individual components. For example, search for the typical macros and calories in General Tso's Chicken Combination Platter with Broccoli & Rice. If any other areas are listed as N/A or "0" and you know they are incorrect, then move on to the next listing. If the fat is something extraordinarily high like 70 grams per 6 oz. serving (a good fistful), or low like 5 grams, then common sense will tell you that is incorrect info. Once you have a basic groundwork, you can make a guess that you're getting 1/2 cup of broccoli (perhaps) and 8 oz. of chicken (maybe) and 8 oz. cooked rice (possibly). If you wanted to be super strict, you could calculate them separately, while adding an educated guess of flour, hoisin sauce, and other mixed veggies as separate entries. I feel like this is a lot of work, but some people do it.

Portion control is always the fall back for me when I am cutting. For instance, I realize that General Tso's take-out will likely be in the 1500+ calorie range, so maybe I'll eat 1/2 or 1/3 of the combo platter and save the rest for tomorrow. Common sense also tells you that this food is high in sodium. Therefore, don't complete your daily MFP diary with only 3 cups of water. Everyone should be getting at least 8 cups of water everyday anyways.

Thnks = )

Yeah, I'm pretty good with my daily water intake and I definitely get it in when I eat out, because of the sodium. If I don't, I end up dreaming I'm a camel walking the Sahara's ha

And I, too, usually take half my dish back to the hotel to get another meal out of it, since restaurant portions are huge. Works great for me though, cuz I get two meals for the price of one.

If it's a simple plate I log piece by piece of guesses (4oz chicken, 100 gr tomatoes, 1 tbsp oil, etc) and if it's a more complex dish I pop up all the ones in the database and go with the more realistic one.

I wish I could put the world on hold until I reach my goal... but I can't, lol.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

LOL. No.

Thanks for your contribution and your TV News article on the topic. Here is a empirical study on the matter:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20356431

3000 ml for men
    2200 ml for women

^Especially important if you're taking diuretics, creatine, drinking alcohol regularly, or exercise/sweat a lot.

Average total fluid intake =/= glasses of water. Hydration comes from food and any other beverages (soda, coffee, tea, etc.)

The required fluid intake will vary by activity level, temperature, etc. Blanket recommendations are useless.

• AmyBoserBell
    AmyBoserBell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my food for about two weeks now and I'm consistently low on fiber, calcium and iron. I try to eat as cleanly and organicly as possible. Any good suggestions? When I add more dairy to my diet for calcium, I end up over in my calories.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Average total fluid intake =/= glasses of water. Hydration comes from food and any other beverages (soda, coffee, tea, etc.)

The required fluid intake will vary by activity level, temperature, etc. Blanket recommendations are useless.

Aware. Water comes in many forms, as I'm sure other people are aware, too.

8 cups per day regardless of gender is a healthy minimum recommendation.

I never meant for this figure to be plain water from the tap or bottle.