I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    my parents came to visit and left a head of cabbage in the fridge. You have a simple recipe/idea for making it that does not include any kind of oil/butter as oil is unwanted calories for me.

Don't fear Dietary fat. It is good for you. Don't believe Dr. Oz., commercials, and other fad diets that tell you fat is bad. Only trans fats and overeating are bad.

1/2 head red cabbage
    125 ml red wine
    1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
    1 tbsp. duck fat, lard, or oil
    1/2 medium onion, minced
    1 granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored, diced
    Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
    Red currant jelly
    Bouquet garni (any combo of aromatics you enjoy such as fresh parsley stems, thyme sprigs, leek greens etc. all tied up securely with twine)

1. Core cabbage and cut the leaves into 1/4 inch wide strips.
    2. Combine cabbage with the wine, vinegar, and bay leaf, and let marinate briefly.
    3. Heat the fat in a large pan or Dutch oven and then saute the onion until golden and caramelized.
    4. Add the cabbage, the marinade, and the Apple. Season lightly. Cover and summer gently for about 40-45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Adjust the seasoning and stir in some red currant jelly to taste, which will also balance the bitterness with a tiny bit of sweetness. Keep warm and serve as a side to roast pork loin.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    The proper amount of protein is between 0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight.
    Actually it's per kilo of bodyweight not pounds. As a kilo is 2.2 pounds You're recommending probably double what most people need. This from a RD
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060114p22.shtml

No... Pounds.

Example: 160 lb. Person = 96 to 131 g protein per day. Toward the higher end if you are weightlifting.

Some people recommend a perfect 1 gram to lb. or more for Protein but this is overkill.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15798080
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11023001
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14971434
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1763249
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212752
    http://sportsci.org/jour/9901/rbk.html
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is obviously a partial list and not a complete diet plan, but to illustrate 68 g fat and 97 g protein in one day, see below:

6 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup almonds
    1/2 cup black beans
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    2 tbsp. peanut butter
    1 container full fat, Fage Greek Yogurt
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Organic has nothing to do with the nutrition or how refined something is. Just the way it's grown. You could have a crop that is organically grown then refined within an inch of it's life it would still be an organic product.

Aware. I never said that it did; I was just going by how it was labeled on the chart.

Are you one of those people who feels the constant need to correct others? It's getting old.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well you certainly opened yourself up to a lot of questions :) First off I love to cook although I am not a chef, just someone who enjoys food and experimenting. I've kept a lot of weight off for years by learning how to make my favorite foods lighter and healthier. With that said, the one thing I don't like is fish and I wish I did! When we make it to Northern Michigan I enjoy the white fish because it is light, flaky and not fishy tasting. I think that is my biggest problem with fish is that I just don't like that fishy flavor. What would be some other good types of fish that I might like? I know fresh makes a difference because the fish I get in Northern Michigan is caught fresh daily but fresh isn't always possible. Is there a better way to cook fish where I could cover up some of the fishy taste? Fish is so good for you and I want to in-cooperate it in to my diet.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Have you ever cooked blowfish?
    What's your favorite fish to cook?

I'm always trying new things and get guidance from my partner from work. Tonight I made polenta for the first time. 6/10.

Answers Please. ^^^^

The only time I cooked blowfish was when I was like 18 down the shore in NJ. The skin is so rubbery tough that it's hard to get through it with a standard knife. Once you get past it, the meat inside is like a lobster tail, but with more flavor. We grilled it with a butter and fresh herb baste. It came out amazing with a few minutes on high heat.

Asking chefs what their signature dish, or their favorite thing to cook is likely going to end up with rolled eyes. We cook everything, we enjoy everything, we don't hate any food. I've cooked everything from lamb's tongue, to skate, to sweetbreads, eel, and kidney. I love it all.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well you certainly opened yourself up to a lot of questions :) First off I love to cook although I am not a chef, just someone who enjoys food and experimenting. I've kept a lot of weight off for years by learning how to make my favorite foods lighter and healthier. With that said, the one thing I don't like is fish and I wish I did! When we make it to Northern Michigan I enjoy the white fish because it is light, flaky and not fishy tasting. I think that is my biggest problem with fish is that I just don't like that fishy flavor. What would be some other good types of fish that I might like? I know fresh makes a difference because the fish I get in Northern Michigan is caught fresh daily but fresh isn't always possible. Is there a better way to cook fish where I could cover up some of the fishy taste? Fish is so good for you and I want to in-cooperate it in to my diet.

Tough to avoid the fishy curse if your vendor is crap. Any frozen fish would likely be your best bet if that is the case. Shrimp, notably or other intact shellfish vs. a pre-filleted product.

Alternately, if your knife skills are decent, you could get a whole fresh fish and filet it yourself. There are youtube videos which make fileting easy. But you definitely need a sharp filet knife. More often than not, it is the blood line that is stinky... That dark gray, purple, bloody part of the salmon near the bones (if I can paint a picture). If that is not removed quickly, you will smell/taste it.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    First off great tread !
    Soy products, good or bad ? More specifically meat substitutes ?
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    First off great tread !

I can't comment on this with scientific certainty, but from what I have read, soy increases estrogen and estrogen is bad for muscles. I'm all for variety in diet. But it's probably best not to rely on soy protein powder or a diet rich in soy, especially processed soy. So strive for variety.

With dieting, and almost everything in life... The truth is so simple. Once things get too complicated or insanely strict rules are established, the less fact it is likely based on, e.g. carbs after 9, fat is bad, carbs are bad, red meat, sodium, coffee, and cholesterol is bad.... It's all hocus pocus. Just about every diet guideline you have ever heard of is likely false.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    First off great tread !

I can't comment on this with scientific certainty, but from what I have read, soy increases estrogen and estrogen is bad for muscles. I'm all for variety in diet. But it's probably best not to rely on soy protein powder or a diet primarily rich in soy, especially processed soy.

That's pretty much what my research was. Breast cancer ? How much is too much? I wish someone would do more research because there's a lot on market.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have another question I couldn't find a straight answer to...

If someone is NOT lactose intolerant, would drinking lactose free milk still be better for them? Is it something to consider, I mean, to avoid bloating or such?

Or would it be nonsense to pay more for it, being that there's no need?

Or would it be flat out worse for them for some nutritious reason?

Do you happen to know? :)?
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options

If someone is NOT lactose intolerant, would drinking lactose free milk still be better for them? Is it something to consider, I mean, to avoid bloating or such?

If you are lactose intolerant and you enjoy dairy and milk, then drink lactose free milk or take a lactaid pill.

Simple.

If you are not lactose intolerant, then no.. It would not be healthier or more unhealthy per se. There is no benefit to avoiding dairy unless you are allergic or have a specific health condition.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options

If you are lactose intolerant and you enjoy dairy and milk, then drink lactose free milk or take a lactaid pill.

Simple.

If you are not lactose intolerant, then no.. It would not be healthier or more unhealthy per se. There is no benefit to avoiding dairy unless you are allergic or have a specific health condition.

Right. I have absolutely no intention of avoiding dairy and I thank the stars above that I don't have to.

I just passed the lactose free milk in the aisles one fine day and thought "hey, maybe those are 'nicer' for the body" (I'm dead tired right now, my vocabulary is too). But then I read that that's not necessarily so... because of reasons (I don't recall the exact science behind it, I literally have one eye open right now I'm so sleepy). And your answer confirms my conclusion :+1: Thnks! :flowerforyou:
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    My fault, I didn't know that.

No problem. Just letting you know that it is something they are asked all the time. I don't really know how to equate it properly, but maybe it's like asking a mechanic what their favorite type of car fixing task is.
  • JennRutts
    JennRutts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

What would you suggest would be a good way to keep hunger pangs at bay? i.e. what foods would you suggest to help me feel fuller for longer?

Thanks in advance :smile:
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The proper amount of protein is between 0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight.
    Actually it's per kilo of bodyweight not pounds. As a kilo is 2.2 pounds You're recommending probably double what most people need. This from a RD
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060114p22.shtml

@isulo_kura I looked at your link because I've been trying to work out the correct amount of protein for myself... anyway just to let you know your source goes on to say the RDA you quoted is the bare minimum... "studies now suggest that the RDA may not be the amount of protein needed to promote optimal health. To achieve that, they say, more protein is needed, and studies now suggest that athletes, active people, and older individuals require even more."
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Is the black parts( burntish) bad for you when you roast vegetable? Toast bread & barbecue meats? carcinogenic? over frying onions, browning? All Tastes great, :) is this healthy or bad way of cooking?
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There is so many people pro meat eating & so many for just vegetable & fruit eating, so many totally against dairy.

Do people who only eat vegetables & fruit look healthier or not?

& those whole don't eat dairy do they look healthier or not?

& do meat eaters look healthier than the above 2?

What is the best & healthiest way to eat?