I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Do you cook with extra virgin olive oil? I was told this was unhealthy many years ago.

It breaks down with heat, and it's very expensive, so it is best to use regular olive oil for cooking.

Save the extra virgin for dressings and cold applications. Or if you like the added flavor, you can cut 25% EVOO with 75% of a high heat cooking oil to allow it to hold up better.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Do you cook with extra virgin olive oil? I was told this was unhealthy many years ago.

It breaks down with heat, and it's very expensive, so it is best to use regular olive oil for cooking.

Save the extra virgin for dressings and cold applications. Or if you like the added flavor, you can cut 25% EVOO with 75% of a high heat cooking oil to allow it to hold up better.

Cheers!
    Salad dressing and bread dipping it is, then.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    my parents came to visit and left a head of cabbage in the fridge. You have a simple recipe/idea for making it that does not include any kind of oil/butter as oil is unwanted calories for me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    my parents came to visit and left a head of cabbage in the fridge. You have a simple recipe/idea for making it that does not include any kind of oil/butter as oil is unwanted calories for me.

Raw sauerkraut... Good for digestion

Although.... Eating fat is vital for good health. You need it to help absorb some nutrients in your vegies amongst other things..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Tracylooo wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on a high protein diet, with small meals eaten every 3hrs throughout the day? I'm not having carbs after 7pm!
    Thanks in advance
    Tj (England)

Does eating that often work for you? If not, don't do it.... It has no benefit. Do you want to eat carbs after 7? You can do that too.... Doesn't matter when you eat!

As for the protein... What is "high"?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have some Alaskan cod fish I'm going to make tonight. Any suggestions for prepping it? What kind of veggies to go with it? Thanks! :-)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I make a red cabbage slaw with no oils or fat. I am sure that you could also use green cabbage.

Just slice thin (about 1/2 a head)...add 1/2 to 1 cup cilantro...about 1/3 to 1/2 cup lime juice...a little salt and pepper.

It is great to eat by itself or to add as a topping to other foods.

• betuel75
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I make a red cabbage slaw with no oils or fat. I am sure that you could also use green cabbage.

Just slice thin (about 1/2 a head)...add 1/2 to 1 cup cilantro...about 1/3 to 1/2 cup lime juice...a little salt and pepper.

It is great to eat by itself or to add as a topping to other foods.

Ooh, i like it! I love cilantro and lime. Great idea. I think i will use the other half for a sauerkraut as suggested above.
    Thanks!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I would love to have some good fish recipes. We need to add some to our diet. I'm a pretty accomplished home cook so don't be afraid to hit me with some technique.

Also I just have to say (sing) this: le poisson le poisson hee hee hee ho ho ho (couldn't resist and had to get it out of my head).
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Awesome information sixxpoint with the oil chart and love the suggestions for the green beans. Great to have a chef on board with us!!
  • LisaRoloff
    LisaRoloff Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi. So here's one my father asked me and google gave me mixed responses: Is canola oil good or bad for frying, from a "health" point of view? Thnks!

Basically the less refined, the better.

This chart will tell you all about cooking oils:

CookingOilChart1.jpg

thank you. Saved, Printing and it's getting taped to my fridge.
  • Tracylooo
    Tracylooo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on a high protein diet, with small meals eaten every 3hrs throughout the day? I'm not having carbs after 7pm!
    Thanks in advance
    Tj (England)

Does eating that often work for you? If not, don't do it.... It has no benefit. Do you want to eat carbs after 7? You can do that too.... Doesn't matter when you eat!

As for the protein... What is "high"?

I'm averaging 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fats daily!
    I thought eating carbs too late in the evening doesn't get burned off the same as eating carbs throughout the day as your more active??
    Thanks for your response
    Tracey
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What kind of fitness are you into, and how would you say it complements your healthy lifestyle?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    LisaRoloff wrote: »

thank you. Saved, Printing and it's getting taped to my fridge.

Lol, I taped it to my fridge too!
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options

I thought eating carbs too late in the evening doesn't get burned off the same as eating carbs throughout the day as your more active??
    Thanks for your response
    Tracey

Don't go by ratios. They are meaningless. The proper amount of protein is between 0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. You can go higher, but it won't really make a difference. Also, protein is the most expensive macro. Dietary fat needs to be at a bare minimum of 0.40 to 0.45 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. Dietary fat (with little to hopefully zero industrial trans fats) is crucial to hormonal health, sex drive, pregnancy health, etc.

Carbs are not bad, but there is no solid "number" requirement for them. Rely on carbs to fill in the rest of your macro allowance and total calorie goal. It would be wise to focus on a variety of colorful vegetables and high fiber items for the carb allowance.

Lastly, meal timing is almost utterly useless for the average person. There is some evidence that timing carbs can help, but it is mostly related to hardcore athletes and bodybuilders very strict training regimens.

The reason you hear, "don't eat carbs (or food in general) after 8-9 pm", is because by this point, you have likely already filled your total daily calorie goal. Consuming more would likely mean that you are overeating.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would love to have some good fish recipes. We need to add some to our diet. I'm a pretty accomplished home cook so don't be afraid to hit me with some technique.

What kind of fish do you enjoy most? There are hundreds of types of fish and I have dozens of recipes for each one. Some more specifics would help, and any favorite accompanying flavors you enjoy like tomato, coconut, parsley, etc.
  • betuel75
    Options

Thanks for your response
    Tracey

Dietary fat (with little to hopefully zero industrial trans fats) is crucial to hormonal health, sex drive, pregnancy health, etc.

Ah, maybe thats why my libido has been pretty lacking. Im always keeping my fat levels low just because i dont want the extra calories. Guess i better work more fat into my diet...
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ah, maybe thats why my libido has been pretty lacking. Im always keeping my fat levels low just because i dont want the extra calories. Guess i better work more fat into my diet...

It's much more crucial than you think. Prolonged daily fat intake of 55 g or less (for the average person) will likely result in a whole host of issues. Try 70 g or more for 4 weeks and report back.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    The proper amount of protein is between 0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight.
    Actually it's per kilo of bodyweight not pounds. As a kilo is 2.2 pounds You're recommending probably double what most people need. This from a RD
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060114p22.shtml