I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What do you think of the recent zoodles trend?
  • leslieroman98
    leslieroman98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Alternatives to peanuts?
  • MsHulkMN
    MsHulkMN Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mexican and quick morning breakfasts!!! :) THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my food for about two weeks now and I'm consistently low on fiber, calcium and iron. I try to eat as cleanly and organicly as possible. Any good suggestions? When I add more dairy to my diet for calcium, I end up over in my calories.

That's simple. Start eating foods that are high in those areas.

Consume more:

Leafy greens
    Lentils
    Nuts
    Chickpeas
    Edamame
    Beans
    Barley
    Bulgar
    Bran
    Berries
    Oats
    Avocado
    Pears
    Dates
    Figs
    Cherries
    Squash
    Broccoli Rabe
    Sweet Potato
    Sun-Dried Tomatoes
    Brussels Sprouts
    Chia Seeds
    Whole Grain Bread
    Flaxseed
    Dried Coconut
    Psyllium Husks
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I did not grow up eating a lot of greens, but want to introduce more into my diet. I put spinach in my eggs in the morning but other than that I'm not sure how to cook with greens (kale? collards?). What is a good way to cook them?
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Becka4prez wrote: »
    I did not grow up eating a lot of greens, but want to introduce more into my diet. I put spinach in my eggs in the morning but other than that I'm not sure how to cook with greens (kale? collards?). What is a good way to cook them?

Big pot blanching for the Kale, see previous posts. Basically, you bring a huge pot of heavily salted water to a full rolling boil, toss in cleaned kale leaves, let boil for approx. 3-4 minutes, then drain, and shock in an ice water bath. Once cooled, squeeze all of the excess water out of the kale and store in a paper-towel lined container in your refrigerator for up to 1 week. -- This method makes the kale more tender, cuts down on the bitterness, maintains some seasoning, and allows it to stay vibrant green instead of overcooked Army colored green. When desired, toss some kale in a hot pan with hot oil, red pepper flakes, fresh garlic, shallots, and some salt and pepper. Saute for 1 minute or until warm and serve with your main entree.

I don't cook with Collards much. Traditionally in the south, collards are simmered slowly in water with thick ham hock or salt pork until very tender; they are often finished with spicy vinegar.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/collard-greens-recipe.html

Other options are Chard, Arugula, and Mustard Greens. All of these cook fairly quickly and do not need to be blanched. Simply eat fresh or saute them in a hot pan with hot oil and add some other flavors if desired.
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • b_neroni
    b_neroni Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm big a fish eater. I am thinking about trying salmon. I don't even know how to buy it? Do you buy it with skin or without?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    b_neroni wrote: »
    I'm big a fish eater. I am thinking about trying salmon. I don't even know how to buy it? Do you buy it with skin or without?

I'm not gonna guess what OP's response to this will be, but I praise jesus whenever I get crispy crunchy salmon skin after I cook it, and I'm an athiest.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I'm not gonna guess what OP's response to this will be, but I praise jesus whenever I get crispy crunchy salmon skin after I cook it, and I'm an athiest.

lol +1
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options

-Wild & fresh; not farm-raised
    -Sockeye is one of my favorites; it has a bright red color, but others work well too.
    -Skin-on if you can get it
    -Carefully remove the pin bones with kitchen tweezers (or have your fish monger remove them)
    -Score the skin with a knife prior to cooking, pat it completely dry, and brush both sides lightly with oil.
    -Season both sides with fine sea salt and fine fresh cracked black pepper.
    -Get a shallow pan very hot, add a thin layer of oil, and sear skin side down, while pressing gently.
    -Gently holding the fish down with a fish spatula prevents the skin from curling and ensures even crispiness.
    -When the skin is crispy and golden brown, flip, pour out any burning fat, and reduce heat.
    -Add butter, baste, and cook to mid rare (red inside). Finish with Maldon sea salt (large flaky crystals).

I once did this for my gf at home and she demanded well done with no skin. When I served dinner, she then proceeded to swap her fish with mine and I was stuck with the nasty, skinless, dry filet.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

-Sockeye is one of my favorites; it has a bright red color, but others work well too.
    -Carefully remove the pin bones with kitchen tweezers (or have your fish monger remove them)
    -Score the skin with a knife prior to cooking, pat it completely dry, and brush both sides lightly with oil.
    -Get a shallow pan very hot, add a thin layer of oil, and sear skin side down, while pressing gently.
    -Gently holding the fish down with a fish spatula prevents the skin from curling and ensures even crispiness.
    -When the skin is crispy and golden brown, flip, pour out any burning fat, and reduce heat.
    -Add butter, baste, and cook to mid rare (red inside). Finish with Maldon sea salt (large flaky crystals).

I once did this for my gf at home and she demanded well done with no skin. When I served dinner, she then proceeded to swap her fish with mine and I was stuck with the nasty, skinless, dry filet.

And then you broke up with her?
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options

hahaha us dames are so funny
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    Sorry for my rudeness*. I dated a chef for three years. I might have developed a food temper through osmosis or something. Don't get me started on steak doneness. JUST DON'T.

*I'm not actually sorry, the "well done/skinless" salmon thing would've kept me up that night.
  • sixxpoint
    Options

And then you broke up with her?

A year later I did, but for other reasons ;)
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Sorry for my rudeness*. ...Don't get me started on steak doneness. JUST DON'T.

Oh, you'd hate me: I like (most cuts of) my steaks *cooked*.

• amy8bug
    amy8bug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have any good recipes incorporating 100% whey protein powder? Is it ok to heat it b/c I was led to believe it may change the protein's amount of time to get absorbed? For example, mixing with your morning latte or baking into a pancake?
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Sorry for my rudeness*. ...Don't get me started on steak doneness. JUST DON'T.

Oh, you'd hate me: I like (most cuts of) my steaks *cooked*.

*begins "you may as well burn a $20" spiel*
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    steaks on grill- lump or briquettes? Sear or reverse sear? Marinade, dry rub or brushed sauce? Thanks in advance.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    steaks on grill- lump or briquettes? Sear or reverse sear? Marinade, dry rub or brushed sauce? Thanks in advance.

Rare-medium rare. Thanks.