I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^Yes, you have to cook tongue in a flavorful broth, low and slow, and then peel off the tough outer layer. Lamb's tongue taste like bologna if anyone is interested :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    deleted
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    ^Yes, you have to cook tongue in a flavorful broth, low and slow, and then peel off the tough outer layer. Lamb's tongue taste like bologna if anyone is interested :)

The cubans do it in like a milanesa style with a very garlicy tomato sauce and white rice. *drool*
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    This thread is gonna ruin my life.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Haha why is that?
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Haha why is that?

Because I know how to cook.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This one might have a simple answer, but there are a million conflicting methods on Google: if I wanted to make a blue steak at home, without a cast-iron pan or a grill, would that be possible? And if so, how would I do it? And is it reasonably safe to eat supermarket steaks blue?

I really love blue steak, is what I'm saying, and the only place in town that served it had to stop.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    In restaurants, we always cook Pittsburgh style steak in a cast iron or black steel skillet. Get it screaming hot with the proper amount of oil and seasoning and achieve that crust without fully cooking it through.

I'm not sure what piece of equipment you would use otherwise, or why you have an aversion to cast iron. Maybe because your apartment/home would smoke up and set off the fire alarm? Try using the cast iron pan on an outdoor grill if that's the case.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I don't have an aversion to cast-iron, I just don't own one and can't afford one. Alas. Thanks for the response!
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I don't have an aversion to cast-iron, I just don't own one and can't afford one. Alas. Thanks for the response!

Oh, the Lodge brand Cast iron pans are pretty cheap and you can get them anywhere. Just be sure to season them before use.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This one might have a simple answer, but there are a million conflicting methods on Google: if I wanted to make a blue steak at home, without a cast-iron pan or a grill, would that be possible? And if so, how would I do it? And is it reasonably safe to eat supermarket steaks blue?

I really love blue steak, is what I'm saying, and the only place in town that served it had to stop.

Cast iron is totally worth having. A new skillet isn't that expensive. But I've frequently seen them in thrift stores in decent shape.
  • misskgb
    misskgb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    leontarik wrote: »
    Hi i have a Overactive thyroid quite bad (also Graves disease - which effects the eyes). im on meds, my body temperature is sky high, no energy my immune system is effected, my hair nails break and a million other symptoms, i was wondering if theres any types of food that could help me build up my immune system, energy, etc as cant find anything on @. I cant eat heavy foods as to heavy on my stomach due to it.

Look into the AIP diet (autoimmune protocol) I have an under active thyroid and Hashimotos. This has been life changing. Facebook has some really helpful groups for those with thyroid issues. Good luck!
  • DanielleLynis
    DanielleLynis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, im looking for some meal ideas. I'm in the process of cutting all refined sugar out of my diet and lowering the amount of sugar I consume in general. Trying to keep my sugar intake below 20g per day. Any ideas?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    And is it reasonably safe to eat supermarket steaks blue?

e Coli only grows on the outside of steak. Therefore only the outside of steak needs to be cooked for the food to be safe. Obviously this isn't the case with ground beef. And chicken must be cooked all the way through b/c of salmonella.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    As a former chef and big ole fan of giving knowledge to the masses, I'm glad you're doing this OP. Overall, really good advice. :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I like you much better than that guy on the other thread OP :).
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Pork belly: I love it and where I live I can get it cheap. But every time I make it, the skin is always too crispy. Cracklin' is delicious, but mine always comes out a little too crunchy. Any tips?
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Pork belly: I love it and where I live I can get it cheap. But every time I make it, the skin is always too crispy. Cracklin' is delicious, but mine always comes out a little too crunchy. Any tips?

Yes. Correct yourself or give me the crispy bits.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOWFlp0M7QM

In my restaurant, we sous vide it and then follow up with a post-sear in a hot pan. Most home cooks do not have sous vide equipment, but similar results can be had by using this method ^^

Make sure you remove the inedible, hard rind/skin that doesn't break down when cooking. Sometimes this is already removed; most times you have to shave it off.

After you slow cook it, get a black steel pan or cast iron skillet screaming hot. Rub the pork belly with oil, season both sides with smoked paprika, fresh ground black pepper, kosher salt (rosemary salt would be nice), and place in the hot pan, pressing down to ensure a proper sear without burning it. Sear the ends and sides if you desire crispiness all over the outside. Flip and finish in the oven to warm through as you plate your side dishes and sauce. It goes well with sweet apple glaze, root vegetable puree, and crisp greens with an acidic dressing to counter the fat content of the pork belly.

That combo of flavors works so well because you get: Sweet, Salty, Acidic, Rich, Fatty, Smoky... you also get various textures.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    There are some butchers around here, I could get anything. I am up for trying any of it, if it will be delicious and benefit my health. I've heard calf's liver is a super-food, but I wouldn't know how to prepare it.

Sauteed Calf's Liver with Caramelized Onions

Serves 4

60 grams unsalted butter
    400 grams onions, fine chop
    4 slices calf's liver, cleaned
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    50 grams flour
    10 ml vegetable oil
    30 ml vinegar
    200 ml demi-glace (or thick, reduced veal stock)
    additional 10 grams unsalted butter (2 tsp)
    1/8 bunch parsley leaves, finely minced (1 tbsp.)

1. Heat a saute pean and add 10 g butter and the onions. Cook over medium heat until soft and translucent, not browned at all. Set aside.
    2. Season the liver well with salt and pepper on both sides. Coat with flour and shake off the excess.
    3. Add the oil to a hot pan along with 30 g soft butter. Add the liver slices and saute over medium-high heat for 1 minute, or until nicely browned.
    4. Add the reserved onion to the hot pan and cook until caramelized.
    5. Deglaze the pan with vinegar. Stir well to dissolve the brown bits, and cook for 1 minute more.
    6. Add the demi-glace or thickened veal stock. Taste and adjust seasoning and mount the top with the remaining butter.
    7. Pour the sauce over the liver, sprinkle with minced parsley, and serve.