I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• denniskelly06
    denniskelly06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to find a realistic diet without starving myself to lose at least 15 pounds in the next 2 months. Right now I'm living off of spinach salads, fruits, veggies, and lots of water. I also go the gym at least 5 times per week.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I find it difficult to make flavorful food on my very limited diet (medically required due to a rare disorder), and I was wondering if you might like a challenge and could suggest some ideas? Both in terms of any dishes you might think of, but also for ways to think about cooking that might help me look at my ingredients and be able to get a little more creative, if that makes sense? Like, cooking techniques for certain veggies, or...just anything, really.

The limits:
    no grains
    no dairy
    no soy
    no eggs
    no shellfish
    no to most fish
    no peanuts
    no almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, or walnuts
    no potatoes or sweet potatoes
    no sugar or syrups (naturally occurring is fine, but no added, not cane, beet, date, palm, coconut sugars. No maple, sorghum, rice, yacon syrups, etc...)
    no celery or carrots
    no oranges, grapefruit
    no to most berries
    no stone fruits except apricots
    no onions or garlic varieties
    no brassicas - so no cauliflower, mustards, broccoli, radishes, horseradish, most spicy greens, etc...
    no imported fruits - bananas, mangos, kiwi, durin, ugli fruit, etc...
    no alcohols
    no vinegars
    no dried fruits (or dates)
    no processed foods (except salt) - almost any processing counts - no yeast, no ground spices, no condiments, etc...

I can have a little of:
    Beans - dried, a few varieties including chickpeas, less than 1/4 cup a day
    nuts - raw cashews less than 1/8 cup a day, maybe a couple others (pine, macadamia)
    honey - maybe a Tb or two in a day
    seeds - if I grow or harvest them myself (so sunflower seeds or melon or winter squash seeds, for example - but I have to shell them myself too, if needed)

Foods allowed in my diet:
    sea salt

beef - meat, organs, fats

bison - meat

salmon - meat and skin

ginger

avocados

Fresh herbs if I can grow them - any spices I cannot grow, I cannot have, so no exotic spices like cinnamon, vanilla, cardamon, and so on - any suggestions for possible spices to grow would be very appreciated. I'm to the point I've looking into figuring out how to grow and harvest cinnamon, so truly, ANY suggestions

Fruits and vegetables in season, if I can grow them or they are grown locally avoiding certain chemical additions - at this point, this means I can get some vegetables and fruits from a couple farmers, but only in season, and usually only a little more than I can eat that week. The varieties are pretty limited and I cannot process and jar these myself, but can freeze any veggies or fruits I acquire.

Sooooo, yeah, ANY advice you've got, I'll take.

How to make things taste as good as they can when you don't have much in the way of variety, for example, and can't use a ton of the traditional aromatics. How to make the most filling foods possible when veggies and fruits are the biggest part of the diet.

One of the biggest challenges is that there are almost no staples. The meat, fish, and salt is about it. Everything else is limited enough I WILL run out during the year, even if I freeze some. So any recipe I come up with is only good for a short period and then it's done. Fresh lemon or lime juice, any particular herb, fruit or veggie, certain nuts or beans or seeds - it's all only available for a few weeks or months, and then I'm out for the rest of the year. So I constantly have to change things up, with whatever I've got, and frankly, I'm not a good enough cook to make it taste good probably even half the time.

Any ideas?

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    This may be superstition or grounded in some fact, but I am a firm believer that imported EVOO made from 100% Italian olives is the best tasting.

Let me state that Italy is having a major issue with mafia controlled EVOO trade, especially the "EVOO" that is exported to the US, since it's their largest export market and the mafia connections are the strongest.

The amount of EVOO produced in Italy is far smaller than the amount of "EVOO" that is exported. Vast amounts of inferior olive oil are imported to Italy and blended to "EVOO" for export.

Their police is even trained to detect (by taste tests) this fake EVOO.
    If you buy the real stuff, it's a lot more expensive than the market "EVOO" that is exported.

My parents grow their own (organic) olive trees and make their own olive oil and I assure you it's universes better than the market "EVOO".

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Our dad was from Southern Spain, and we've always bought olive oil labelled as imported from there. And we do almost everything with olive oil; rarely if ever with any other kind (we don't fry at all: just never developed the taste or technique for it at home).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    This may be superstition or grounded in some fact, but I am a firm believer that imported EVOO made from 100% Italian olives is the best tasting.

Let me state that Italy is having a major issue with mafia controlled EVOO trade, especially the "EVOO" that is exported to the US, since it's their largest export market and the mafia connections are the strongest.

The amount of EVOO produced in Italy is far smaller than the amount of "EVOO" that is exported. Vast amounts of inferior olive oil are imported to Italy and blended to "EVOO" for export.

Their police is even trained to detect (by taste tests) this fake EVOO.
    If you buy the real stuff, it's a lot more expensive than the market "EVOO" that is exported.

My parents grow their own (organic) olive trees and make their own olive oil and I assure you it's universes better than the market "EVOO".

This is true in some ways--I live in Rome, Italy. The major problem is that they're mixing other vegetable oils with olive oil. The major brands have alot at stake and so they're safer. We also buy our oil directly from farmers. The quality is excellent. Once you get a taste for the good stuff, you can tell the difference---that's why it's exported, the Italians would know a fake. So, I agree, watch what you're buying, and in the States I would try to buy a well known brand. Also chef, am enjoying your thread. You've got alot of good ideas. Thanks. B)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    This is such a great thread, so awesome you're willing to share your knowledge, thanks :)

Just wondering if you could recommend a few simple, stove-top dishes that meet the following criteria:
    - Doable in 25 minutes or less, from fridge to plate
    - Contain loads of tasty meat
    - Are not annoying/costly for a single person to shop for. E.g. do not contain cabbage or something like that, that will take ten years to go through (or spoil)

I am a lazy single person who basically likes steaks (pan-fried in butter), skillet chicken (skin-on, like this), and burgers, in order of easiest to most annoying to prepare/cook. But I can't have steak every day.

Thanks!

(ps - not looking to make enough for leftovers; hate leftovers (unless it's chili or something) and frozen stuff. i like things cooked that day only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk_CGtA4HIY
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    I find it difficult to make flavorful food on my very limited diet (medically required due to a rare disorder), and I was wondering if you might like a challenge and could suggest some ideas? Both in terms of any dishes you might think of, but also for ways to think about cooking that might help me look at my ingredients and be able to get a little more creative, if that makes sense? Like, cooking techniques for certain veggies, or...just anything, really.

The limits:
    no grains
    no dairy
    no soy
    no eggs
    no shellfish
    no to most fish
    no peanuts
    no sugar or syrups (naturally occurring is fine, but no added, not cane, beet, date, palm, coconut sugars. No maple, sorghum, rice, yacon syrups, etc...)
    no celery or carrots
    no oranges, grapefruit
    no to most berries
    no brassicas - so no cauliflower, mustards, broccoli, radishes, horseradish, most spicy greens, etc...
    no alcohols
    no vinegars
    no processed foods (except salt) - almost any processing counts - no yeast, no ground spices, no condiments, etc...

I can have a little of:
    nuts - raw cashews less than 1/8 cup a day, maybe a couple others (pine, macadamia)
    seeds - if I grow or harvest them myself (so sunflower seeds or melon or winter squash seeds, for example - but I have to shell them myself too, if needed)

sea salt

bison - meat

salmon - meat and skin

ginger

avocados

Fresh herbs if I can grow them - any spices I cannot grow, I cannot have, so no exotic spices like cinnamon, vanilla, cardamon, and so on - any suggestions for possible spices to grow would be very appreciated. I'm to the point I've looking into figuring out how to grow and harvest cinnamon, so truly, ANY suggestions

Fruits and vegetables in season, if I can grow them or they are grown locally avoiding certain chemical additions - at this point, this means I can get some vegetables and fruits from a couple farmers, but only in season, and usually only a little more than I can eat that week. The varieties are pretty limited and I cannot process and jar these myself, but can freeze any veggies or fruits I acquire.

How to make things taste as good as they can when you don't have much in the way of variety, for example, and can't use a ton of the traditional aromatics. How to make the most filling foods possible when veggies and fruits are the biggest part of the diet.

One of the biggest challenges is that there are almost no staples. The meat, fish, and salt is about it. Everything else is limited enough I WILL run out during the year, even if I freeze some. So any recipe I come up with is only good for a short period and then it's done. Fresh lemon or lime juice, any particular herb, fruit or veggie, certain nuts or beans or seeds - it's all only available for a few weeks or months, and then I'm out for the rest of the year. So I constantly have to change things up, with whatever I've got, and frankly, I'm not a good enough cook to make it taste good probably even half the time.

Any ideas?

Holy heck! You need a priest, not a chef! If I were you, I would first find out if all of those restrictions/limitations are absolutely medically necessary, and if so, hire someone to work with you and your diet. If this is the daily struggle you have to endure, then I doubt a few suggestions on the internet will help you in the long run. Good luck!
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    FYI all...

One of the best things you can do to introduce more flavor is to Marinate your meat/veggies before you cook them. Start with an Olive Oil base and then add fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, cilantro, basil along with aromatics like scallions, ginger and garlic. Certain dried spices like red pepper flakes, Moroccan Ras el Hanout, Chinese 5-spice powder, paprika, etc. will work too. You can also swap the Olive oil for Sesame oil, incorporate soy sauce, vinegar, mustard, teriyaki, Sriracha, or other liquids. The possibilities are endless.

Here is a great link on steak: http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

I urge all of you to keep this salt technique in your repertoire. But read the instructions carefully. You won't be eating all of that salt; it is simply used to attain better texture, moisture, and an even seasoning throughout. Ask me for any other questions on the topic.
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Very cool thread ! I personally love the green bean suggestion.

Any thoughts on making steamed broccoli taste amazing?
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Also ... sorry but how would you spice up a chunk of Cod? Im not into Sugars or too much salt :)
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Very cool thread ! I personally love the green bean suggestion.

Any thoughts on making steamed broccoli taste amazing?

Same technique... Big pot blanching. Buy two or three heads of broccoli and you'll have enough for 2 people for the entire week before you get sick of it.

Broccoli however only requires about 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes of blanching time. You will have to test the texture. When it is to your liking, immediately shock the veggies in an ice bath to stop the cooking, lock in the nutrients, and retain the bright vivid green color.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also ... sorry but how would you spice up a chunk of Cod? Im not into Sugars or too much salt :)

Unfortunately, cod is a very delicate, bland fish. It needs a lot of work to have wowing flavor. Coat the fish lightly with oil and season liberally with salt on both sides, you will need more than you think. Add a bit of black pepper on both sides, too. You can then mix an equal amount of panko breadcrumbs and asiago cheese, with some fresh chopped chives & parsley for an interesting texture/flavor addition. Crumble the mixture atop the fish. It seems weird to mix cheese with fish, but trust me, it works here.

Bake on an oiled tray, in a preheated 350-400F oven for about 7-11 minutes, depending on the thickness. The panko mixture will turn golden brown and the fish will have more flavor and texture than it would if you simply baked it plain. Serving it with a rich white wine/cream sauce would make it even better.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Great thread!!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It's my brother's birthday and he has invited us to a party at an Italian restaurant. I've look over their menu to decide what I'll order ahead of time but don't know which of my choices would be best. Any chicken will be boneless & skinless and I can substitute whole wheat pasta for regular.
    Here are my top choices:
    Chicken Cacciatore
    Chicken Parmigana- they will grill a breast and no breading on it
    WW pasta with "every veggie in the kitchen" and EVOO and chili flakes
    We eat here about once a month and these are my go to dinners, but would love your opinion.
    Thank you!
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »

The limits:
    no grains
    no dairy
    no soy
    no eggs
    no shellfish
    no to most fish
    no peanuts
    no celery or carrots
    no oranges, grapefruit
    no to most berries
    no alcohols
    no vinegars

I can have a little of:

sea salt

bison - meat

salmon - meat and skin

ginger

avocados

Any ideas?

Holy heck! You need a priest, not a chef! If I were you, I would first find out if all of those restrictions/limitations are absolutely medically necessary, and if so, hire someone to work with you and your diet. If this is the daily struggle you have to endure, then I doubt a few suggestions on the internet will help you in the long run. Good luck!

I loved this thread before but now I love you as well. Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge, and also for handling some trolls on earlier pages so well.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    It's my brother's birthday and he has invited us to a party at an Italian restaurant. I've look over their menu to decide what I'll order ahead of time but don't know which of my choices would be best. Any chicken will be boneless & skinless and I can substitute whole wheat pasta for regular.
    Here are my top choices:
    Chicken Cacciatore
    Chicken Parmigana- they will grill a breast and no breading on it
    WW pasta with "every veggie in the kitchen" and EVOO and chili flakes
    We eat here about once a month and these are my go to dinners, but would love your opinion.
    Thank you!

Hello!! So, I'm going to be a little critical here... Your body doesn't care about what foods you eat as long as it is properly nourished. What matters is your palate... Do you enjoy what you're eating? Spending time with family, friends, and food is supposed to be fun. Choose whatever excites you the most, whether that be your favorite dish or something new. If you are watching your figure and nutrition then keep portion control, daily macro progress, and food variety in the back of your mind.

That said:

-Dark meat chicken is not bad.
    -Semolina pasta is not bad.
    -Other, non-chicken dishes are not bad.
    -Breadcrumbs are not bad.

Don't go by fad diet rules or ridiculous restrictions. Eating a rich variety of whole, minimally processed foods is key. Just don't overeat if your activity level cannot keep up with your calorie intake.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »
    I loved this thread before but now I love you as well. Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge, and also for handling some trolls on earlier pages so well.

Thank you, sweets!!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It's my brother'

Hello!! So, I'm going to be a little critical here... Your body doesn't care about what foods you eat as long as it is properly nourished. What matters is your palate... Do you enjoy what you're eating? Spending time with family, friends, and food is supposed to be fun. Choose whatever excites you the most, whether that be your favorite dish or something new. If you are watching your figure and nutrition then keep portion control, daily macro progress, and food variety in the back of your mind.

That said:

-Dark meat chicken is not bad.
    -Semolina pasta is not bad.
    -Other, non-chicken dishes are not bad.
    -Breadcrumbs are not bad.

Don't go by fad diet rules or ridiculous restrictions. Eating a rich variety of whole, minimally processed foods is key. Just don't overeat if your activity level cannot keep up with your calorie intake.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    We can ask you ANYTHING? Okay then, here it goes:

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

It matters. :)
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    We can ask you ANYTHING? Okay then, here it goes:

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

It matters. :)

Depends on my mood. But really, every flavor is my favorite. As long as I'm getting ice cream, I'm happy.

Have you ever tried the Talenti Sea Salt Caramel w/dark chocolate chunks? Just had that the other day. Almost tasted as good as homemade!