I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Duplicate post.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    See my question, please, nine posts up! :flowerforyou: :mrgreen:
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Have fatty liver disease and pcos. So got to watch fat and carbs
  • lhanson777
    lhanson777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Go!
    I have an iron question. I am anemic and am making every attempt to get my necessary iron from healthy food not supplements. The app seems to have a much lower count on food iron content than other sources. Have you noticed this?? Thank you

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to make a fresh non bitter tomato sauce? My boyfriend is ultra picky about red sauce as he is used to what his Italian grandmother used to make (of course she didn't pass along a recipe) I've tried a thousand variations and even when I find one I like the second time I make it, it seems to come out different or not have as much depth to it or taste bitter.

Hello! Tomatoes or tomato sauce shouldn't be bitter. They are innately acidic with some sweetness to them. Anyhow, here is something you can try that won't involve the hassle or inconsistency of using fresh tomatoes...

Two, 28 oz. cans crushed plum tomatoes
    1 heaped tbsp. tomato paste
    2 small onions, fine dice
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 medium stalks celery, pureed in a food processor
    1/2 bunch basil, leaves, cut
    Olive oil
    Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Open the canned tomatoes and with clean hands, crush the plum tomatoes into smaller pieces. Set aside with the juice.

2. Preheat a large, deep pan or Dutch oven over a medium stovetop flame. When the pan is hot, add a thin layer of Olive oil, and wait until the oil is hot.

3. Sweat down and lightly season the onion, garlic, and celery until soft and translucent. Don't rush the process and don't brown the veg.

4. When sweated, create a well in the center of the pan and add the tomato paste. Using a wooden spoon, cook off the tomato paste for about 1 minute and then stir it in with the veg.

5. Add the crushed plum tomatoes and remaining liquid. Add the bay leaf.

6. Reduce with a gentle simmer until the flavor and texture is desireable. Correct seasoning. Turn off heat. Stir in the fresh basil.

7. Ask your boyfriend how it tastes. You can cool and then freeze any leftover sauce.

Thank you.

Not wanting to take away from sixxpoint---he is awesome, but I live in Italy and learned to cook from 3 little old aunts of my husbands, from Puglia (southern Italy). I will explain how they made simple sauce. Put extra virgin olive oil in a deep sauce pan and heat, add peeled red garlic cloves, brown slightly and take out, while oil is still hot throw in tomatoes (fresh or canned)--there will be a great sizzle, add salt, pepper and fresh basil (they say always break up basil with your hands--never cut it). This is the basic, now you can add whatever you like. As for bitterness, they would add a little sugar--I know, I know, it's considered taboo here, but that's what they did. I don't find that I have to cook it a long time. We use Roma tomatos alot, and they are not watery. I can easily do this in 1/2 hour. Put this on al-dent pasta with Parmigiana Reggiana. Best. B)

thank you so much, I will try this method when we do sauce quickly, this sounds similar to what we do now for a simple sauce. I sauté garlic in oil then let sit for 15 minutes to get the garlic flavor in the oil and mix with whole tomatoes crushed by hand with salt pepper and basil then let it sit for a few hours if I have time to really get the flavors mixed.

It tastes different than the slow cooked Sunday sauce though (which is what I struggle with). Both are delicious. :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    ... If I were you, I would first find out if all of those restrictions/limitations are absolutely medically necessary, and if so, hire someone to work with you and your diet. If this is the daily struggle you have to endure, then I doubt a few suggestions on the internet will help you in the long run. Good luck!

Appreciate the thought anyway, and your following suggestion on marinating veggies and meats was very helpful, actually, for adding some flavor, and a bit of cooking advice is what I was hoping for, so thank you for the idea. :-)

Unfortunately, the restrictions are actually all medically necessary. I've got a nutritionist at the moment and we simply try our best to see about adding in new foods when we can, and coping with losing foods when it happens, but even she admits that she's not much of a cook, so anything to do with flavor and texture is all on me.

I realize it looks like a lot of limitations, but honestly, it feels like I can eat quite a lot at the moment. I'm at the higher end of functioning when it comes to people with my disorder (called MCAS -http://mastocytosis.ca/MSC%20Patient%20Experience%20April2012.pdf ) so I can eat a fair amount safely right now, after working for nearly 5 years to get to this point. Some folks with this disorder are no longer able to eat regular food any more and have to rely on medically prepared, hypoallergenic liquids for their nutrients.

So I truly feel very lucky, just wishing I was a better cook so I could do something more with what I can eat, is all.

@shaumom I read your originally post and it definitely sounded mast cell related, that many restrictions is difficult, I'm glad you were able to get diagnosed, I know it can take a long time to figure out what is going on. mast cell disorders run in my family. your right about the limitations my niece and nephew were only able to eat organic pomegranates and hypoallergenic protein powder for several years. they are now able to start incorporating some other things if tolerated, but its been a struggle for them to get there and still have reactions to things that they could once eat. Best of luck to you!
  • DiddleOnTheRun
    DiddleOnTheRun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Pork belly: I love it and where I live I can get it cheap. But every time I make it, the skin is always too crispy. Cracklin' is delicious, but mine always comes out a little too crunchy. Any tips?

Read later
  • DanielleLynis
    DanielleLynis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, im looking for some meal ideas. I'm in the process of cutting all refined sugar out of my diet and lowering the amount of sugar I consume in general. Trying to keep my sugar intake below 20g per day. Any ideas?

Sugar is not bad per se as long as you are cautious about how much refined sugar you ingest.

Chronic ingestion of 50 grams or more of refined sugar a day has known health risks. Therefore, it pays to remain mindful of the fructose content of all foods consumed.

I don't really have the time to design elaborate meal plans, but just know that from a bodyweight standpoint, it doesn't matter what specific foods you ingest. A calorie is a calorie in that regard. From a nutrition standpoint however, you could cause long term harm by not introducing a variety of whole, nutritious foods in your diet. Variety and whole are key. Avoid processed foods and foods laden with industrial trans fats. Focus on high fiber items, ensure adequate intake of protein & dietary fat, and try to consume veggies and fruits of various colors for different nutrients.

Thanks for the information.
  • elandis91
    elandis91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We are going out for Mexican tonight. What would be my best options for a low-calorie meal?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to make a fresh non bitter tomato sauce? My boyfriend is ultra picky about red sauce as he is used to what his Italian grandmother used to make (of course she didn't pass along a recipe) I've tried a thousand variations and even when I find one I like the second time I make it, it seems to come out different or not have as much depth to it or taste bitter.

Hello! Tomatoes or tomato sauce shouldn't be bitter. They are innately acidic with some sweetness to them. Anyhow, here is something you can try that won't involve the hassle or inconsistency of using fresh tomatoes...

Two, 28 oz. cans crushed plum tomatoes
    1 heaped tbsp. tomato paste
    2 small onions, fine dice
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 medium stalks celery, pureed in a food processor
    1/2 bunch basil, leaves, cut
    Olive oil
    Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Open the canned tomatoes and with clean hands, crush the plum tomatoes into smaller pieces. Set aside with the juice.

2. Preheat a large, deep pan or Dutch oven over a medium stovetop flame. When the pan is hot, add a thin layer of Olive oil, and wait until the oil is hot.

3. Sweat down and lightly season the onion, garlic, and celery until soft and translucent. Don't rush the process and don't brown the veg.

4. When sweated, create a well in the center of the pan and add the tomato paste. Using a wooden spoon, cook off the tomato paste for about 1 minute and then stir it in with the veg.

5. Add the crushed plum tomatoes and remaining liquid. Add the bay leaf.

6. Reduce with a gentle simmer until the flavor and texture is desireable. Correct seasoning. Turn off heat. Stir in the fresh basil.

7. Ask your boyfriend how it tastes. You can cool and then freeze any leftover sauce.

Thank you.

Not wanting to take away from sixxpoint---he is awesome, but I live in Italy and learned to cook from 3 little old aunts of my husbands, from Puglia (southern Italy). I will explain how they made simple sauce. Put extra virgin olive oil in a deep sauce pan and heat, add peeled red garlic cloves, brown slightly and take out, while oil is still hot throw in tomatoes (fresh or canned)--there will be a great sizzle, add salt, pepper and fresh basil (they say always break up basil with your hands--never cut it). This is the basic, now you can add whatever you like. As for bitterness, they would add a little sugar--I know, I know, it's considered taboo here, but that's what they did. I don't find that I have to cook it a long time. We use Roma tomatos alot, and they are not watery. I can easily do this in 1/2 hour. Put this on al-dent pasta with Parmigiana Reggiana. Best. B)

thank you so much, I will try this method when we do sauce quickly, this sounds similar to what we do now for a simple sauce. I sauté garlic in oil then let sit for 15 minutes to get the garlic flavor in the oil and mix with whole tomatoes crushed by hand with salt pepper and basil then let it sit for a few hours if I have time to really get the flavors mixed.

It tastes different than the slow cooked Sunday sauce though (which is what I struggle with). Both are delicious. :)

When I want a little sweetness in my tomato sauce I thinly grate carrots and sweat those out with the onion and celery (basic mire poix) until everything is an unidentifiable mush and THEN I do the tomato part, which can be hours sometimes, but totally worth it. I rarely use sugar.
  • kata88
    kata88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @sixxpoint Thanks for the info! I mainly wanted to know because I don't like any added salt in my diet, but since I started cooking for others it's kind of necessary for flavor.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    JarethG wrote: »
    @sixxpoint dear, I'm still awaiting your advice re binder.

I responded to that.

Then repeat, I could not find that post.

Middle of page 6.

I'll respond to the rest of you late tonight.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My husband is a picky eater. Says he likes vegetables but doesn't eat the when I put them out. The only way he eats squash is battered and fried. Personally, I'd like more variety than that! Pretty much the same with green beans (simmered w/ a ham hock and lots of salt). I work 8 hours a day. Sometimes I just need some quick, knock yer socks off veggie recipes. Is Fridge to table in about 30 minutes possible?
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    I'll respond to the rest of you late tonight.

Cool, thanks :+1:
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    my niece and nephew were only able to eat organic pomegranates and hypoallergenic protein powder for several years. they are now able to start incorporating some other things if tolerated, but its been a struggle for them to get there and still have reactions to things that they could once eat. Best of luck to you!

@ auntstephie321.

Thanks, hon. It's such a crazy disorder, isn't it? I'm so sorry it's been so hard for your niece and nephew, but glad that they were diagnosed and have been able to add foods back in.

Although, just in case it helps? Do their families do any gardening? Turns out some of my triggers were things used in the majority of farms, and by many small farmers, as well. Growing some of the foods myself, I was able to grow and test the 'pure' produce, without any sprays, gases, coatings, etc... used on it. And then if I could tolerate it, I could track down farmers who grew the food without adding anything either. I quadrupled my food choices within a year, doing this. I was shocked how much it helped.

I know that's not necessarily going to help your family, because it's so individual with this thing. But it was something I never would have thought of if someone with a similar condition hadn't mentioned this to me on another forum. Figure I'm just paying it forward. :-)

I wish your family well and hope that they continue to be able to add in more foods!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @shaumom yes, my sister is an uber vigilant mother lol. she has spent hours upon hours of time researching, probably more like months and months of research. they have to be extremely carful with what they purchase. much of what they get is imported from other areas because she has been able to track down places that do not use the pesticides and other chemicals they know to be triggers. I believe they started growing some stuff at home, they live in new jersey, not a ton of space to farm their own produce etc. they have mast cell activation syndrome which is a little different from mastocytosis. but I believe the symptoms are all similar. they lived off of hemp seeds and neocate for the longest time. luckily their mom is amazing and they are the happiest healthiest full of life kids ever.

it was years before they had a diagnosed and the symptoms seemed to come out of nowhere. my sister now has similar issues as do I, although not as extreme. it's amazing how much different you feel once you know what is causing problems and remove it from your diet/environment.

Best of luck to you!
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble reaching my iron goal for the day. What foods are high in iron?
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    sjdoman wrote: »
    I am having trouble reaching my iron goal for the day. What foods are high in iron?

Definitely liver. Sardines D: . Dark chocolate I've recently discovered, now that I'm tracking iron. Talk about happy discoveries.

You can google and find a whole bunch of food sources = )
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Definitely liver. Sardines D: . Dark chocolate I've recently discovered, now that I'm tracking iron. Talk about happy discoveries.

Eew no wonder I cant get enough iron! although I used to like sardines when I was a kid
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options

Eew no wonder I cant get enough iron! although I used to like sardines when I was a kid

Haha, I'm not a picky eater at all, I eat them sometimes just for variety's sake. But yeah, they're very... unique. As is liver, but that I really dig :+1:

But, didn't you read me? Ahem. Dark chocolate!

4 squares of Lindt 86% dark chocolate has....... *checking last night's logs* ........25%. I had intended to eat just 2 squares, hehe, and that would've been 12.5%. Not bad, huh?

And 2 squares of Lindt Caramel Sea Salt dark chocolate has ..... *checking today's logs* ..... oh, that one doesn't have much, just 3% for the 2 squares.

I guess the higher the cocoa, the higher the iron.

Good luck!