I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Say you're going to have red bell peppers as a side with a steak...what would you do with them?

Plain red bell peppers, nothing else?

You could slice in half lengthwise 4 times, remove the stem and seeds, coat with oil, season with salt, and grill them indoors on a panini press until softened and slightly charred.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Beets! What do I do with a beet. I bought some, and have heard that you can cook the green parts too.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Beets! What do I do with a beet. I bought some, and have heard that you can cook the green parts too.

Garbage can....blech! :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Say you're going to have red bell peppers as a side with a steak...what would you do with them?

Plain red bell peppers, nothing else?

You could slice in half lengthwise 4 times, remove the stem and seeds, coat with oil, season with salt, and grill them indoors on a panini press until softened and slightly charred.

This I'll also have to try. Thanks!
  • sixxpoint
    Options

Roast, pickle, or braise them.

For roasting, preheat oven to 375 F. Fold a 12- by 24-inch sheet of aluminum foil in half to form a square. Crimp two edges to form a pouch. Toss beets, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl until coated. Add to pouch and crimp remaining edge to seal. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Roast until beets are completely tender and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into beet through foil shows little to no resistance, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel by gently rubbing skin under cold running water. Cut beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Toss in a salad with goat cheese, arugula, fruit, nuts, salt and pepper, and a simple shallot vinaigrette.

You can blanch the beet greens via the big pot blanching method I mentioned on page 1. Toss them in with the arugula, or make a pesto-based vinaigrette with them instead.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Shouldn't you be starting a thread called "I hate beets!"? ;)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Average total fluid intake =/= glasses of water. Hydration comes from food and any other beverages (soda, coffee, tea, etc.)

The required fluid intake will vary by activity level, temperature, etc. Blanket recommendations are useless.

Aware. Water comes in many forms, as I'm sure other people are aware, too.

Unfortunately they aren't. Not a day goes by around here without a plethora of threads entitled "Does 'x' count as water?"

Back on topic:

Who, in your opinion, is the best chef alive today?

Noted. A simple, "This may require more clarity for the masses" would have sufficed.

There are dozens of best chefs and just about anyone with a Michelin Star is pretty phenomenal. Some of my favorites are Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Eric Ripert, and I will always love Jacques Pepin.

Yes and yes and yes. (There are more we could add, but as Keller will always make the list).

Another softball, for the masses: Bang for the buck, what is your favorite cut of beef?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Narcissora wrote: »
    We can ask you ANYTHING? Okay then, here it goes:

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

It matters. :)

Depends on my mood. But really, every flavor is my favorite. As long as I'm getting ice cream, I'm happy.

Have you ever tried the Talenti Sea Salt Caramel w/dark chocolate chunks? Just had that the other day. Almost tasted as good as homemade!

I've been following along on this thread waiting for any "gotcha" moments where the OP offered up some broscience or some misguided cooking advice... so far I haven't seen any, and you won me over with the mention of Talenti Sea Salt Caramel...

OP (and others who love good ice cream and sweets) you should consider joining this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/22569-where-we-love-to-love-gelato-and-ice-cream

We've got some pretty handy home bakers and ice cream craftspeople...

Yup. That right there. You do know what you're talking about when you give that special mention.

I'll bite. I'm a vegetarian, looking for something different to do with black beans. Any suggestions?

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

+1

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Omg. That beet salad and pesto sounds so good!
    What applications do you use gelatin for? Does it add nutritional value to food?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Bang for the buck, what is your favorite cut of beef?

I love Hanger steak. There is no contest in flavor when you compare it to the typical steak cuts people buy. Hanger steak resembles flank steak, but because of its location near the cow's diaphragm and kidneys, you get that awesome organ meat flavor with steak texture.

Serve rare or medium rare, to avoid toughness and off-putting gameyness.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Love the chart! And your suggestions! Thank you!
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options

Depends on my mood. But really, every flavor is my favorite. As long as I'm getting ice cream, I'm happy.

Have you ever tried the Talenti Sea Salt Caramel w/dark chocolate chunks? Just had that the other day. Almost tasted as good as homemade!

I've been following along on this thread waiting for any "gotcha" moments where the OP offered up some broscience or some misguided cooking advice... so far I haven't seen any, and you won me over with the mention of Talenti Sea Salt Caramel...

OP (and others who love good ice cream and sweets) you should consider joining this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/22569-where-we-love-to-love-gelato-and-ice-cream

Yup. That right there. You do know what you're talking about when you give that special mention.

I'll bite. I'm a vegetarian, looking for something different to do with black beans. Any suggestions?

Black bean flavor is heightened when they are cooked with the fresh herb/weed known as Epazote. It might be growing in your garden and you don't even know it. I've heard people call it wild Culantro (with a U). Culantro is something completely different though. Epazote's aroma is extremely potent; an almost intoxicating mix of petroleum and earthy camphor.

Cook the soaked beans with cold water, then start the beans in cold water with a generous amount of epazote, a whole habanero chile (poked with a knife), and a bunch of roasted onion halves, maybe some chopped garlic. Gentle simmer for approx. 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on the heat, volume, amount, etc. Halfway through, season with plenty of kosher salt. When the beans are tender enough to press between your gums and your tongue (no use of teeth), they are done. You don't want them to be extremely mushy, but there's nothing worse than hard beans.

I make black bean & cheese quesadillas at home quite regularly and don't miss the meat at all. You could press the beans into a paste, which allows them to be easily spread on the tortilla. Finish with a few more fresh epazote leaves, cilantro, and melted cheese. Yum.

You could also make a black bean stew by mixing the cooked black beans into a simple guajillo-tomato broth. Serve in a bowl and finish with avocado, fresh sliced radish, ricotta salata or cojita cheese, scallion cornbread, and a poached egg.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options

For roasting, preheat oven to 375 F. Fold a 12- by 24-inch sheet of aluminum foil in half to form a square. Crimp two edges to form a pouch. Toss beets, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl until coated. Add to pouch and crimp remaining edge to seal. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Roast until beets are completely tender and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into beet through foil shows little to no resistance, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel by gently rubbing skin under cold running water. Cut beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Toss in a salad with goat cheese, arugula, fruit, nuts, salt and pepper, and a simple shallot vinaigrette.

You can blanch the beet greens via the big pot blanching method I mentioned on page 1. Toss them in with the arugula, or make a pesto-based vinaigrette with them instead.

oh boy! Thanks! Can't wait to try this. I know I don't like pickled beets so I hope this makes them taste good!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

If you are open to suggestions from non-chefs... this is one of my favorite summer side dishes... I serve it with fish tacos which probably isn't relevant for you! Better second day for sure.

Loosely based on this recipe:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-and-corn-salad-ii/

I use less oil, no tomatoes, sometimes avocado sometimes not, sometimes add jalapeno...

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Can't wait to try this. My boyfriend has decided to grow beets this summer in our garden, so far that's the only thing we have growing, this will put them to good use.

Very impressed with this thread, I waited to check it out as I saw the pages growing and assumed it was a disaster like some other threads. I'm so happy I checked it out, tons of great info, and well kept under control. I wish there were more information threads like this one.

Question: What's the best way to make a fresh non bitter tomato sauce? My boyfriend is ultra picky about red sauce as he is used to what his Italian grandmother used to make (of course she didn't pass along a recipe) I've tried a thousand variations and even when I find one I like the second time I make it, it seems to come out different or not have as much depth to it or taste bitter.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Black bean flavor is heightened when they are cooked with the fresh herb/weed known as Epazote. It might be growing in your garden and you don't even know it. I've heard people call it wild Culantro (with a U). Culantro is something completely different though. Epazote's aroma is extremely potent; an almost intoxicating mix of petroleum and earthy camphor.

Cook the soaked beans with cold water, then start the beans in cold water with a generous amount of epazote, a whole habanero chile (poked with a knife), and a bunch of roasted onion halves, maybe some chopped garlic. Gentle simmer for approx. 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on the heat, volume, amount, etc. Halfway through, season with plenty of kosher salt. When the beans are tender enough to press between your gums and your tongue (no use of teeth), they are done. You don't want them to be extremely mushy, but there's nothing worse than hard beans.

I make black bean & cheese quesadillas at home quite regularly and don't miss the meat at all. You could press the beans into a paste, which allows them to be easily spread on the tortilla. Finish with a few more fresh epazote leaves, cilantro, and melted cheese. Yum.

You could also make a black bean stew by mixing the cooked black beans into a simple guajillo-tomato broth. Serve in a bowl and finish with avocado, fresh sliced radish, ricotta salata or cojita cheese, scallion cornbread, and a poached egg.

Thank you. That stew sounds amazing.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

If you are open to suggestions from non-chefs... this is one of my favorite summer side dishes... I serve it with fish tacos which probably isn't relevant for you! Better second day for sure.

I use less oil, no tomatoes, sometimes avocado sometimes not, sometimes add jalapeno...

Anything with that much lime juice? Guaranteed winner in my book. Thanks!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Anything with that much lime juice? Guaranteed winner in my book. Thanks!

It's the cumin that gets me... can't get enough!