I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So... IS it possible to make brussels sprouts taste decent? Or are they a lost cause?

(I think the question got asked at some point, I'm not sure if there was an answer.) They have omega-3, so it'd be good to get them in a bit.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am moving soon, so I am trying to use up the random odds and ends in my kitchen so that I waste as little as possible... I have quite a bit of miso paste in my fridge. Any ideas on what I can use it for?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So... IS it possible to make brussels sprouts taste decent? Or are they a lost cause?

Slice a tiny bit of the brussels sprouts' ends off then cut in half so the sprout leaves are still held together by the core. Reserve any leaves that fall off naturally in a bowl.

"Big pot blanch" the brussels sprouts, shock, drain, and pat dry. Approx. 3 minutes blanching time should do.

Next, preheat a saute pan, cook off some fine diced bacon or pancetta. Cook until crispy. Render the fat and reserve the meat and fat separately.

Add canola oil mixed with some bacon fat to the preheated pan. Wait until the fat is hot, but not smoking. Carefully add the brussels sprouts, cut side down, and cook until nicely seared, crispy, and golden brown. If at any time the pan starts smoking, or the sprouts start burning, lower the heat. It's important to use all of your senses when you cook. When golden brown, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Drain any residual fat, add corn niblets, any loose brussels leaves, and the reserved bacon or pancetta. Add a knob of butter, cook for an addditional minute, and check the seasoning.

You will have a flavorful, crispy side of brussels sprouts with corn and bacon. I love serving this at BBQs because it pairs so well with pork or chicken.
    Narcissora wrote: »
    I am moving soon, so I am trying to use up the random odds and ends in my kitchen so that I waste as little as possible... I have quite a bit of miso paste in my fridge. Any ideas on what I can use it for?

Best to google that inquiry for specifics. Miso is not my specialty. Though it can be used as a marinade or a glaze/sauce for meat. You could use up quite a bit of it with these applications.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

Slice a tiny bit of the brussels sprouts' ends off then cut in half so the sprout leaves are still held together by the core. Reserve any leaves that fall off naturally in a bowl.

Preheat a saute pan, cook off some fine diced bacon or pancetta. Cook until crispy. Render the fat and reserve the meat and fat separately.

Add canola oil mixed with some bacon fat to the preheated pan. Wait until the fat is hot, but not smoking. Carefully add the brussels sprouts, cut side down, and cook until nicely seared, crispy, and golden brown. If at any time the pan starts smoking, or the sprouts start burning, lower the heat. It's important to use all of your senses when you cook. When golden brown, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Drain any residual fat, add corn niblets, any loose brussels leaves, and the reserved bacon or pancetta. Add a knob of butter, cook for an addditional minute, and check the seasoning.

You will have a flavorful, crispy side of brussels sprouts with corn and bacon. I love serving this at BBQs because it pairs so well with pork or chicken.

Best to google that inquiry for specifics. Miso is not my specialty. Though it can be used as a marinade or a glaze/sauce for meat. You could use up quite a bit of it with these applications.

While the brussel sprout recipe sounds lovely, I'm a bit confused on the canola oil. According to the oil chart you posted early on (page 1 of this thread) canola is usually highly refined and should be avoided, no? Wouldn't this be healthier with EVOO or coconut oil instead of canola?
  • Scarlett_ptista
    Scarlett_ptista Posts: 22 Member
    Options

(I think the question got asked at some point, I'm not sure if there was an answer.) They have omega-3, so it'd be good to get them in a bit.

Not OP, but I can answer this one! Brussels Sprouts are actually my favorite, and there's sooo many great ways to cook them. The best ways I've found are parboiled, and then roasted in a cast iron pan with bacon or pancetta and lemon juice, roasted in the oven with EVOO and balsamic, or toasted in a honey mustard sauce and roasted.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

Preheat a saute pan, cook off some fine diced bacon or pancetta. Cook until crispy. Render the fat and reserve the meat and fat separately.

While the brussel sprout recipe sounds lovely, I'm a bit confused on the canola oil. According to the oil chart you posted early on (page 1 of this thread) canola is usually highly refined and should be avoided, no? Wouldn't this be healthier with EVOO or coconut oil instead of canola?

For high-heat sauteing, the use of refined oil is somewhat unavoidable. A large part of the refining process is to allow the previous unrefined version an opportunity to stand up to high-heat applications by removing volatile impurities. Canola oil fits that bill nicely and it's what we use in all fancy restaurants... sometimes we cut it with 75% Canola / 25% Olive Oil for added flavor while still being suitable for high heat.

That chart separates healthy vs. unhealthy oils, but it is not that simple... The thing you should avoid is oils laden with industrial trans fats, or highly processed vegetable oils, margarine, etc. - The closer to nature, the better... within reason.
  • Narcissora
    Options

Yep, I will take it to Google. The only reason that I even have a giant bag of miso in the fridge is because my grocery store was out of smaller containers, and I wanted to try out a miso glazed salmon recipe. It turned out well, but I don't make salmon often because it is so freaking expensive (unless you buy farm raised salmon, which I think tastes and smells like poo.)

Thanks for the awesome thread! Lots of great tips and tricks here!

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The conclusion of 8 cups remains ... random. Based on activity, etc, (and you noted you easily need to consume more sometimes) visual clarity + thirst is a better indicator (pale yellow coloring).

Pale yellow coloring, visual signs of dehydration, etc... Unfortunately, by that point it is already too late... as I'm sure any Doctor would tell you that you have been doing more harm than good in terms of your health.

The fact is that 8 cups (or 2 quarts) of total water per day is a good guideline that will not harm a single adult person on this planet. This has been based on studies of average daily fluid intake, activity, urine production, and the overall health of adult people.
    Back to cooking. Yesterday I had the pleasure of seeing turbot at our local monger - I don't have a turbotiere anymore - what would you recommend as a preparation method?

Turbot is a very tender, delicate flatfish that is best when baked, poached, shallow-braised in a sauce, steamed or pan-fried. The topside portions are meatier than those on the bottom. I like to stuff/roll the thinner bottom fillets to prevent them from drying out.

Some recipes;

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/seared-turbot-recipe
    http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/turbot-with-artichokes-recipe
    http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/roast-turbot-recipe-fennel-croquettes

I was wondering more about how you'd prepare it whole in the absence of a turbotiere. But those are some good ideas.

Etd: dropping urine discussion.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Evaluating rules in that they do "no harm" is worthless. By decluttering that and focusing on the majors people tend to be more successful, not by following superfluous random rules just because they do no harm.

Again...
    This has been based on studies of average daily fluid intake, activity, urine production, and the overall health of adult people.

It is not a random recommendation thrown into the air for people to blindly follow.

^Also, going by that urine color chart, I would be dehydrated for most of the day due to Multivitamin Use, which turns my urine bright yellow.
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    @sixxpoint sounds good! I've been seing a lot of brussels sprouts on the fresh produce market over here, so I'll keep this in mind for a side dish soon.

@Scarlett_ptista haha thanks! There's an abundance of these sprouts where I live, so I'm gonna try to incorporate them in my dishes, since I read they're very nutritious. And cute! Haha.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Evaluating rules in that they do "no harm" is worthless. By decluttering that and focusing on the majors people tend to be more successful, not by following superfluous random rules just because they do no harm.

Again...
    This has been based on studies of average daily fluid intake, activity, urine production, and the overall health of adult people.

It is not a random recommendation thrown into the air for people to blindly follow.

^Also, going by that urine color chart, I would be dehydrated for most of the day due to Multivitamin Use, which turns my urine bright yellow.

Actually it is a random reco/urban myth, not based on science and useful for vested interests.

For example:

British Medical Journal:http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4280.full?keytype=ref&ijkey=ZD92BtTrOIdw3Rv
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386

Obviously, if you take something that colors your urine your going to have to adjust.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many times I can read "no more urine talk" or something thereabouts before it actually comes true.....
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Actually it is a random reco/urban myth, not based on science and useful for vested interests.

Lol, water is free.

But okay. I guess you want to ignore the linked studies I sent earlier then.

The Waterlogging rebuttal is even less credible. What do you think the ratio of dehydrated to waterlogged people is? C'mon, man... I'm done.
  • SophiaSerrao
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I wonder how many times I can read "no more urine talk" or something thereabouts before it actually comes true.....

Right? I'm sipping my coffee, reading awesome recipe's ideas... with urine talk in between =/.
  • Djlouieg
    Djlouieg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, What's the best type of meals for individuals on the go with business and im always out so preparing My meals has Been a major struggle. Im sure im not alone with that what's your recommendations for snacks filling food im 6'1 235lb so im always hungry
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So how about that solution for an ersatz turbotiere? :lol:
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok, so I travel for work sometimes and am always looking for simple options that can be done with just a fridge and a microwave. I currently pick up hard boiled eggs and turkey sausage links for breakfast along with some fruit. However, lunch and dinner are where I struggle. I used to get items to make wraps, but I'd really like to cut out as many bread products as possible. Bags of salad work well also. Today I planned on picking up a rotisserie chicken and leaf spinach. Anyways, I need some ideas please.
    Would love some healthy lunch & snack ideas!

I have breakfast down & dinner I am getting better at but I am always stuck for lunch & snack ideas! thank you!
    Djlouieg wrote: »
    What's the best type of meals for individuals on the go with business and im always out so preparing My meals has Been a major struggle. Im sure im not alone with that what's your recommendations for snacks filling food im 6'1 235lb so im always hungry

I'm not avoiding you guys, but these questions are just so open-ended and general. I really can't answer them without a lot more specificity on your part. There are literally endless combinations of meal ideas that you could prepare, assuming they fill your macronutrient & caloric needs and fit your personal preference & tolerance.

A good book that will help you with random ideas is "The Flavor Bible" - http://www.amazon.com/The-Flavor-Bible-Creativity-Imaginative-ebook/dp/B001FA0P86

Pick any ingredient that interests you, and the book points you toward other ingredients that pair very well with them, in addition to meal ideas and best cooking techniques.
  • Narcissora
    Options
    Ok, so I travel for work sometimes and am always looking for simple options that can be done with just a fridge and a microwave. I currently pick up hard boiled eggs and turkey sausage links for breakfast along with some fruit. However, lunch and dinner are where I struggle. I used to get items to make wraps, but I'd really like to cut out as many bread products as possible. Bags of salad work well also. Today I planned on picking up a rotisserie chicken and leaf spinach. Anyways, I need some ideas please.

I used to travel for work about 10 months out of the year... It is very difficult, especially when the hotel room didn't have a microwave. However, I travelled with a hot pot, and you can do a lot with just a pot of boiling water. I made pasta, soups, chicken & rice, beans... It beat eating out every single meal.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Lol, water is free.

But okay. I guess you want to ignore the linked studies I sent earlier then.

The Waterlogging rebuttal is even less credible. What do you think the ratio of dehydrated to waterlogged people is? C'mon, man... I'm done.

I'm with you on this. My husband had flashing in his eyes and quickly went for a checkup. He was dehydrated without knowing it. I have since talked to other people with this problem. Thanks for sticking up for what you believe to be true. The ones questioning you are smart, experienced posters, but sorry--I just can't agree with the too much water argument. You, in my opinion, are right on. B)
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello! I don't eat much meat, and I'm having a hard time reaching my iron goals. I don't usually eat beans either. Any suggestions? Also, I have a hard time with calcium. I eat yogurt and cottage cheese almost every day, and I've started drinking a glass of skim milk every day. Is there a miracle fruit or veggie with iron or calcium?