I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to cook most veggies t make them taste good tips? I and very picky and texture is a big thing I don't like about a lot of fresh veggies
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Organic canola is okay. I'm not a big fan of hopping on the organic bandwagon because most of the time it is a lot of hippy bullcrap, but in the case of cooking oil, the more unrefined, pure, organic, the better.

For that chart, stay away from the red and orange.

Organic has nothing to do with the nutrition or how refined something is. Just the way it's grown. You could have a crop that is organically grown then refined within an inch of it's life it would still be an organic product.

Yeah, I guess you're right. For the olive oil I use for salads, I just check how it's refined. And purity. This leads me to one that is reasonably expensive :cry: .... but not as much as organic versions which I am not prepared to pay for consistenly.

I pay for quality olive oil and quality chocolate :mrgreen:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »
    I don't know how to cook most veggies t make them taste good tips? I and very picky and texture is a big thing I don't like about a lot of fresh veggies

What texture don't you like... That might help suggest ways that don't create that texture!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Could you give me some ideas for non-diary foods which are high in Calcium please?
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Hi. So here's one my father asked me and google gave me mixed responses: Is canola oil good or bad for frying, from a "health" point of view? Thnks!

Basically the less refined, the better.

This chart will tell you all about cooking oils:

CookingOilChart1.jpg

Great chart! Thanks for sharing!!
  • myaminals
    Options
    I don't really like the fresh green bean texture. I eat canned. I also don't like the raw texture but I don't know how to cook the other veggies. I like cooked peppers in foods but not raw things with that type of texture
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the fresh green bean texture. I eat canned. I also don't like the raw texture but I don't know how to cook the other veggies. I like cooked peppers in foods but not raw things with that type of texture

Roasting pretty much any vegetable makes it taste amazing. From starchy ones, to things like Broccoli, cauliflower and Brussel sprouts.

I've never had canned green beans... In my head they're squishy and blah... Like over steamed ones! (that might be terribly wrong....)

Grated zucchini/carrot/potato/pumpkin fritters are good (with herbs, spices, egg, bit of cheese...)
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you for your help! I will try roasting any spices would recommend? if I were going to try fresh green beans again should I try roasting them? or are you supposed to boil them?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    thank you for your help! I will try roasting any spices would recommend? if I were going to try fresh green beans again should I try roasting them? or are you supposed to boil them?

First clean the green beans and remove the one end with the stem. Do not buy canned or frozen.

Preheat a sheet tray in the oven to 500F. Toss the green beans with enough oil to lightly cost, salt and pepper. When the oven is ripping hot, toss the green beans in and wait until they brown on the edges and bottom. Very simple and you don't need to use any extra weird spices.

Alternately, you could go a completely different route with Big Pot Blanching. This method is better for cooking in bulk and for multiple meals. Basically, you bring a big pot of salted water to a rolling boil (it should taste like sea water). Toss in your green beans and wait until they are tender, but with some bite to them, not mushy. About 3 to 5 minutes. Afterward, quickly drain the water and shock the green beans in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.

The beans should be vibrant green and partially cooked. Pat them dry and refrigerate in Tupperware lined with paper towels for up to 1 week. Whenever you want to hear them up for a meal, toss the green beans into a hot pan with hot oil, fresh garlic, shallots, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you both. I will try these soon.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

First clean the green beans and remove the one end with the stem. Do not buy canned or frozen.

Preheat a sheet tray in the oven to 500F. Toss the green beans with enough oil to lightly cost, salt and pepper. When the oven is ripping hot, toss the green beans in and wait until they brown on the edges and bottom. Very simple and you don't need to use any extra weird spices.

Alternately, you could go a completely different route with Big Pot Blanching. This method is better for cooking in bulk and for multiple meals. Basically, you bring a big pot of salted water to a rolling boil (it should taste like sea water). Toss in your green beans and wait until they are tender, but with some bite to them, not mushy. About 3 to 5 minutes. Afterward, quickly drain the water and shock the green beans in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.

The beans should be vibrant green and partially cooked. Pat them dry and refrigerate in Tupperware lined with paper towels for up to 1 week. Whenever you want to hear them up for a meal, toss the green beans into a hot pan with hot oil, fresh garlic, shallots, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.

Pre-heated pan - that’s brilliant! I never thought of that, and I have made roasted green beans in the past. Thanks for the awesome tips! I love Julia Child for cooking technique, by the way. That’s how I learned to blanch vegetables :smile:
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options

wow, these tips sound great = ). Maaan, I wish I was more motivated to cook. I mean, I do... but I could definetly gourmet it up a notch, ha.
  • Tracylooo
    Tracylooo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on a high protein diet, with small meals eaten every 3hrs throughout the day? I'm not having carbs after 7pm!
    Thanks in advance
    Tj (England)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Do you prep Asian cusine?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Hi. So here's one my father asked me and google gave me mixed responses: Is canola oil good or bad for frying, from a "health" point of view? Thnks!

Basically the less refined, the better.

This chart will tell you all about cooking oils:

CookingOilChart1.jpg

Can you please explain as to why something that might be GM is considered unhealthy?
    Are there any peer reviewed scientific studies that show any link between GM and health issues?

YES this. I don't think any studies show that GMO/GM is unhealthy or dangerous.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    If you are ever in AZ say hello!

Thanks for the oil chart, very helpful.
  • NexStar3
    NexStar3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    leontarik wrote: »
    Hi i have a Overactive thyroid quite bad (also Graves disease - which effects the eyes). im on meds, my body temperature is sky high, no energy my immune system is effected, my hair nails break and a million other symptoms, i was wondering if theres any types of food that could help me build up my immune system, energy, etc as cant find anything on @. I cant eat heavy foods as to heavy on my stomach due to it.

Try looking into eating SCD. I'm hypo not hyper, but it sure gave me the boost I needed :)
  • mad8604
    mad8604 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    leontarik wrote: »
    Hi i have a Overactive thyroid quite bad (also Graves disease - which effects the eyes). im on meds, my body temperature is sky high, no energy my immune system is effected, my hair nails break and a million other symptoms, i was wondering if theres any types of food that could help me build up my immune system, energy, etc as cant find anything on @. I cant eat heavy foods as to heavy on my stomach due to it.

eggs would be lighter on digestion along with with salmon. the fish oil in the salmon will have epa which will help immune health/ and help with the breaking of your nails via natural collagen in salmon
  • trishangelicaryans
    trishangelicaryans Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You don't need meat for
    protein
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Do you cook with extra virgin olive oil? I was told this was unhealthy many years ago.