I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Nope, not really my thing. But I know people who have and won.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Well....I am sorry you are behind bars so to speak! This is by far my favorite thread I have seen in many many moons! Would you be inclined to post pictures of your meals? I am curious what you eat regularly, but also in how you plate it! :)
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Some pics posted on page 12. I don't take pics of my meals at home really... Just restaurant food.

And thank you very much :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Nope, not really my thing. But I know people who have and won.

A buddy I went to HS with was on Top Chef Seattle a couple years ago. He got 4th but was no match for Kristen.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Random question: any good tips for cooking a thin sliced top round steak? I prefer my steaks to be medium rare, and I have a serious steak salad craving for dinner!
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Marinate first.. oil, garlic, spices, herbs, etc.!

Before cooking, let the meat come closer to room temperature. Season generously with kosher salt and cracked black pepper immediately prior to grilling or starting in a hot pan and finishing in the oven.

After cooking, mount the top with a homemade herb-garlic butter and let the meat rest for about 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Alternately, you could do something like this, which will still work out very well:
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Go!
    I have family in the restaurant business. They're overweight. Assuming you're trim, how do you do it? It must be hard being surrounded by food all day and having to taste it, although at least fish dishes tend to be a little less caloric, even with the sauces.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Marinate first.. oil, garlic, spices, herbs, etc.!

Before cooking, let the meat come closer to room temperature. Season generously with kosher salt and cracked black pepper immediately prior to grilling or starting in a hot pan and finishing in the oven.

After cooking, mount the top with a homemade herb-garlic butter and let the meat rest for about 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Alternately, you could do something like this, which will still work out very well:

I think I'll give it a try tonight, thanks!
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Any recipes for a SPICY Crema for Fish Tacos?
    Where in Jersey do you work? I'm in Philadelphia.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    And Fermenting cabbage without vinegar. Thank you.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    I have family in the restaurant business. They're overweight. Assuming you're trim, how do you do it? It must be hard being surrounded by food all day and having to taste it, although at least fish dishes tend to be a little less caloric, even with the sauces.

That is basically just a stereotype. For instance, I am aware of my maintenance calories, what it takes to cut, maintain, or bulk and I also lift weights quite regularly. Anyone could do the same, no matter what line of work they are in.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    pds06 wrote: »
    Any recipes for a SPICY Crema for Fish Tacos?
    And Fermenting cabbage without vinegar.

Tacos:

http://livewellnetwork.com/Mexico:-One-Plate-At-A-Time/recipes/Classic-Ensenada-Fish-Tacos/9349836
    http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2006/06/baja_fish_tacos.html

Slaw:

Without vinegar?... Just use lemon or lime juice. Not sure if you wanted a fish taco slaw or fermented cabbage as separate elements, but kimchi is a fermented slaw that typically doesn't use vinegar. There are dozens of variations available online, here is one: http://norecipes.com/recipe/kimchi/

http://markbittman.com/spicy-no-mayo-coleslaw/
    http://thelemonbowl.com/2012/05/mexican-slaw-with-honey-lime-vinaigrette.html

Also:

Mexican Cole Slaw:

1 cup shredded green cabbage
    1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
    (You can use all green or all red cabbage)

2 green onions/scallions, chopped
    1 medium carrot, peeled, grated
    1/4 heaped cup plain yogurt or mayo
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely minced
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1-2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice, to taste
    1-2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
    Pinch of kosher or sea salt, to taste
    Pinch fresh cracked ground pepper, to taste
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ghee is basically clarified butter with a different cooking time. When I make scallops, I don't use either. Rather, I use oil and then finish with whole unsalted butter.

First, you have to make sure you have good quality, wild sea scallops. The thicker, the better. The ones with the yellow tinge are female which taste sweeter. The pure white ones are male, which are not as sweet.

DO NOT use garlic powder or other weird spices or dried herbs with scallops. Scallops require very little to taste great... Sea salt, cracked blacked pepper, oil & unsalted butter to cook them, and you're good. If you want to add fresh herbs like parsley or chives at the end, be my guest.

For a good sear, make sure they are completely dry on the surface. Pat the moisture off with a paper towel and only season immediately before you are ready to cook them. Seasoning with salt too early will draw out the moisture.

When cooking, you want a hot hot pan... And you don't need to use a lot of oil. Use too much, and with such a short cooking time, your scallops will steam instead of sear.

Here is a great clockwise technique to use, which forces your scallop cooking technique to be foolproof:

And here is a different method for a pan sauce:

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Ghee is basically clarified butter with a different cooking time. When I make scallops, I don't use either. Rather, I use oil and then finish with whole unsalted butter.

First, you have to make sure you have good quality, wild sea scallops. The thicker, the better. The ones with the yellow tinge are female which taste sweeter. The pure white ones are male, which are not as sweet.

DO NOT use garlic powder or other weird spices or dried herbs with scallops. Scallops require very little to taste great... Sea salt, cracked blacked pepper, oil & unsalted butter to cook them, and you're good. If you want to add fresh herbs like parsley or chives at the end, be my guest.

For a good sear, make sure they are completely dry on the surface. Pat the moisture off with a paper towel and only season immediately before you are ready to cook them. Seasoning with salt too early will draw out the moisture.

When cooking, you want a hot hot pan... And you don't need to use a lot of oil. Use too much, and with such a short cooking time, your scallops will steam instead of sear.

Here is a great clockwise technique to use, which forces your scallop cooking technique to be foolproof:

And here is a different method for a pan sauce:

How do you make clarified butter. I've never understood what it is. There is a steak house in town that puts it on there steaks, I'd love mine to taste like that.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @sixxpoint I almost never meet or even come close to meeting the daily iron goals that MFP sets. Do you know how important it is to meet that every day? Should I be concerned and make some changes to what I'm eating in order to get more iron?
  • newchhaya
    newchhaya Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Can you give some indian low carbs dinner ideas
  • Sch614
    Sch614 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Why is it when I roast vegetables they get dried out even though I use olive oil to coat them?? So annoying!