I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Any time I try to do a bread coating it almost always falls off. It doesn't matter if I bake or fry the coating never sticks. Any tips for getting a nice golden breading?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Any time I try to do a bread coating it almost always falls off. It doesn't matter if I bake or fry the coating never sticks. Any tips for getting a nice golden breading?

It depends what you are coating.

For boneless, skinless chicken breasts, the order is:

1) Chicken Breasts (thin sliced, pre-marinated & seasoned)
    2) Seasoned Flour (kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, flour)
    3) Seasoned Egg (stirred thoroughly to combine yolks & whites, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, fresh minced parsley)
    4) Panko Bread Crumbs (seasoned with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, any other dry spices you desire, maybe even some grated parmesan)

^Season everything.

--Pre-marinate the chicken with fresh garlic, scallions, olive oil, black pepper, fresh herbs, etc.
    --Coat with flour and slap off the excess. You just want a light coating of flour.
    --Dip in egg wash and let the excess drip off.
    --Thoroughly coat with panko bread crumbs. Set on a sheet tray prior to frying.
    --Start with a hot pan. Add enough oil or the oil + butter. Wait until the oil is hot.
    --Let the chicken sear until golden brown. Carefully flip without disturbing the crust.
    --Sear the other side. Let drain on paper towels.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Organic Canola Oil is NOT okay. Canola oil in any form is NOT okay. It is quite literally a pesticide because it is known to be a toxic substance. I am not joking. Do a google search "what was conola oil developed for?" and educate yourself. It takes about 10 years to affect your health and caused HEART LESIONS among other things!!!! http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/123-the-bomb-shell-truth-about-canola-oil.html

If you really wish to educate yourself, this is a nice start:

https://skepticdetective.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/is-canola-oil-dangerous/
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

1) Chicken Breasts (thin sliced, pre-marinated, seasoned with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, any other dry spices you desire)
    3) Seasoned Egg (stirred thoroughly to combine yolks & whites, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, fresh minced parsley)
    4) Panko Bread Crumbs (seasoned the same way as the chicken)

^Season everything.

--Pre-marinate the chicken with fresh garlic, scallions, olive oil, black pepper, fresh herbs, etc.
    --Coat with flour and slap off the excess. You just want a light coating of flour.
    --Start with a hot pan. Add enough oil or the oil + butter. Wait until the oil is hot.
    --Let the chicken sear until golden brown. Carefully flip without disturbing the crust.

Thank you! I was trying to make nuggets for my son and a pretty pathetic attempt at chile relleno. Scrambled eggs milk or no milk?

• bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello, I need help. Today for lunch I had a Chinese chicken salad, it was made up of chicken breast chunks, Napa cabbage, green onions, sliced almonds, crunchy noodles(ramen noodles) with a piquant dressing. Would you happen to have an idea on how many calories, I figured 450. Thanks Brenda
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    In my personal kitchen?...

Link to a good Knife site: http://korin.com/Knives/Nenox_3

Pretty knife...

What kind of knives do you recommend, any tips for keeping them sharp, and cooking pots I'm looking at buying a new set but I don't know if I should go stainless steel, ceramic coated, Teflon, copper, aluminum, cast iron. I'd like them to be durable and easy to clean any suggestions?

Oh and excellent post.

• sixxpoint
    Options
    Canola Oil can be cut with 20-30% Extra Virgin Olive Oil to save money and add flavor while still having a relatively high smoke point. That is what fancy restaurants use for virtually anything you order that isn't deep fried.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm from Monmouth County, NJ. Manalapan to be exact. Thanks for your offer.
  • sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options

1) Chicken Breasts (thin sliced, pre-marinated, seasoned with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, any other dry spices you desire)

^Season everything.

Thank you! I was trying to make nuggets for my son and a pretty pathetic attempt at chile relleno. Scrambled eggs milk or no milk?

No milk. Just whip up a couple eggs in a bowl with some spices and fresh chopped parsley.
    bkstein40 wrote: »
    Hello, I need help. Today for lunch I had a Chinese chicken salad, it was made up of chicken breast chunks, Napa cabbage, green onions, sliced almonds, crunchy noodles(ramen noodles) with a piquant dressing. Would you happen to have an idea on how many calories, I figured 450. Thanks Brenda

No easy way to do this. You will have to add each ingredient individually, weighing in grams or ounces, and scanning the label of the product with your MFP app whenever possible.
    In my personal kitchen?...

Link to a good Knife site: http://korin.com/Knives/Nenox_3
    Pretty knife...

What kind of knives do you recommend, any tips for keeping them sharp, and cooking pots I'm looking at buying a new set but I don't know if I should go stainless steel, ceramic coated, Teflon, copper, aluminum, cast iron. I'd like them to be durable and easy to clean any suggestions?

Wusthof, Henckels, Global, Suisin, there are dozens of good brands. Most home cooks will be satisfied with a stainless steel blade with a Western handle. My knife is 10.5 inches, which is quite large. If you have small hands, get an 8-inch Chef's knife.

A wet stone / sharpening stone is the way to go when sharpening a blade. There are instructional videos on youtube for how to use them. The best ones are soaked in water (not oil) prior to sharpening and they have two sides (with two different grits/sharpening grades). Look for one with a small correction stone, to buff/even out the main stone when it wears down.

The steel sticks are only good for honing the knife; bringing the blade to a perfect ^ shape. Steels/honers do not sharpen your knife.

I have All-clad pots & pans. These are the same pans used in many fancy restaurants and on Iron Chef. Lifetime warranty, durable, and you can't go wrong with any style you choose. Get whatever you can afford. I would say the copper line is unnecessary for most home cooks unless they are rich and want to hang pretty pots above their island on a fancy rack. None should be pure aluminum, but the anodized-aluminum coated ones are good. Cast iron pans are cheap and it is always good to have one. You can buy a Lodge Cast Iron skillet at Walmart for $20. For crepes, omelets, fish, eggs, etc. I use this: 51Xbcpbj2XL._SX522_.jpg

^ Crepe pan, also made by All-Clad.
  • kimmieb183
    kimmieb183 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am line cook.... And a culinary school graduate. When I'm not in the kitchen at work I make pretty awesome food choices. Any tips for how to resist at work....
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Any suggestion's on quick, healthy, make at work, eat at my desk breakfast idea's? I think my bagels everyday are not a good choice.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    bumping cause I like this thread and got some good advice
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

^Season everything.

I love this thread, and can't begin to approach the depth of knowledge and skill that sixxpoint has, but I do know how to cook great chile rellenos. The most common missteps I see when people make rellenos are using a flour-based batter and using (oh please god don't do this) enchilada sauce instead of salsa. For delicious, traditional rellenos, just use eggs like so (I'm assuming here that you have already you have roasted, peeled, and stuffed your chiles):

Pre-warm your oven to 200.

For 4 chiles rellenos, you need 4 large eggs, separated and brought to room temperature. Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl until light in color and frothy (about 2 minutes).

Add 1/2 tsp. salt to the egg whites and use a mixer to beat until stiff peaks form (about 1.5 minutes)

Add the egg yolks to the whites and gently fold them in with a spatula until they are just barely combined. Set aside.

Heat 1 C cooking oil (your choice - you want a high smoke point) in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until it's quite hot - about 4 minutes.

Work with one chile at a time. Drop 1/2 C. of the egg batter into the oil and use a spatula to spread it out to about the same size as the chile. Lay the chile cut-side down on top of the batter. Drop another 1/2 C. of batter on top and use a spatula to spread it evenly around the rest of the chile, covering all but the stem.

Cook until the bottom is golden-brown (2-3 minutes). Then use a spatula + a fork to carefully turn the relleno over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. If you need to, use a spatula or tongs to stand it on each side to brown. Place the relleno on a rack, and put into oven. Do the same with the remaining chiles as you finish them. Serve with warmed roasted tomato salsa or salsa verde.

yep did a flour batter! I use chile rojo for my sauce since I am a New Mexican.
  • jereems
    jereems Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m still allowed 400 gm carb, 60 gm protein, 14 gm fiber today. Can you design my dinner, but needs to be low sodium, please?
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    jereems wrote: »
    I’m still allowed 400 gm carb, 60 gm protein, 14 gm fiber today. Can you design my dinner, but needs to be low sodium, please?

The OP hasn't been on here for over a year.