I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• 59newGIRL19
    59newGIRL19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get about 30 g of protein at breakfast. I eat A LOT of egg white omelets and they are getting old. Smoothies are ok, but I'm not a huge fan of protein powder. Any suggestions/recipes--even for jazzing up my omelets? Thanks for a great thread!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Go!
    Thank you sixxpoint for the thread and the recent bump. Have read all of the posts and followed many of the links and intend to go through it all again.

May I ask you about stocks?

I have often made chicken stock by simmering 5 lbs of thighs with an onion and a couple carrots and celery stalks. After about 45 min. I picked off all the meat and returned the bones, skin etc. to the pot and simmered another 6 hours or so. Strained and refrigerated several hours, then removed fat. What remained is like very hard set jello. I do very similar things with pork and beef but longer.

First, any suggestions for improvement in technique?
    Second, how do I get the nutrition information?

All the solids are thrown away or reserved for other uses. My experience, from eating a lot of it, is that it must be very high in calories because it sure seemed to make me fatter. I'm pretty sure it's very nutritious, but I wish there was a way to measure it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get about 30 g of protein at breakfast. I eat A LOT of egg white omelets and they are getting old. Smoothies are ok, but I'm not a huge fan of protein powder. Any suggestions/recipes--even for jazzing up my omelets? Thanks for a great thread!

Protein pancakes? Good way to use protein powder if you don't like drinking it....

If you just don't like powder, use egg whites, a higher protein flour like Quinoa or Lupin... You could add yoghurt or cottage cheese to the mix also. I add grated zucchini, vanilla, sweetener, a little oat flour and water.... Whiz up in a blender and cook!
  • kennaann1
    kennaann1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Favorite protein powder?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    What is the best fish for knee joint recovery? I am having a time with dull pain in my knees from running and thought fish could help... Is there one?

Your best option is to take fish oil as a supplement. The important part is to get 2-3 grams of EPA+DHA from fish oil per day. You have to pay very close attention to the label because every company lists things differently.

You also want the following:

-Third-party tested
    -Sourced from deep, cold water fish
    -Molecularly distilled to remove impurities/toxins/metals
    -High potency EPA/DHA per individual capsule (unless you don't mind consuming 8+ capsules to hit 2-3 g/day)
    -Good cost / quality ratio.

For these reasons, I would recommend looking into the following products:

-Controlled Labs Oxiomega
    -Axis Labs Citrus Omega
    -InnerArmour Blue Omega 3 Fish Oil
    -Carlson Elite
    -Top Secret Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil
    -iForce Peppermint Fish Oil
    -SAN 3x Fish Fats
    -NutriForce Om3gafort SCC
    -Barleans Fresh Catch Fish Oil
    -Mason Naturals Fish Oil
    -Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega
    -Source Naturals ArticPure

^ I would buy any one of these brands for personal use. Keep them in the refrigerator for freshness. Some people even recommend keeping storing them in the freezer.
  • sixxpoint
    Options

There is no logic in throwing out the yolks when consuming eggs. Eat the whole egg; they are great for you.

I make 6 egg fritattas regularly with a variety of ingredients. They are very satiating and can pack a bunch of protein depending on what you use. Here are some ideas...

You could use feta cheese, cheddar cheese, mushrooms, ham, bacon, sausage, spinach or kale, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, peppers, onions, potatoes, or garlic.
  • sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Go!
    Thank you sixxpoint for the thread and the recent bump. Have read all of the posts and followed many of the links and intend to go through it all again.

May I ask you about stocks?

I have often made chicken stock by simmering 5 lbs of thighs with an onion and a couple carrots and celery stalks. After about 45 min. I picked off all the meat and returned the bones, skin etc. to the pot and simmered another 6 hours or so. Strained and refrigerated several hours, then removed fat. What remained is like very hard set jello. I do very similar things with pork and beef but longer.

First, any suggestions for improvement in technique?
    Second, how do I get the nutrition information?

All the solids are thrown away or reserved for other uses. My experience, from eating a lot of it, is that it must be very high in calories because it sure seemed to make me fatter. I'm pretty sure it's very nutritious, but I wish there was a way to measure it.

There are two types of chicken stock... a white stock, where you sweat and simmer everything (no browning) for a delicate-subtle flavor, or a roasted stock, where you brown/caramelize the elements in order to attain richer flavor.

The problem with home stocks is that the average person does not have 2-5 lbs. of chicken bones/scraps in their freezer, ready to slather with tomato paste and roast at high heat in the oven. That is why I recommend fortifying a store-bought supermarket chicken stock for more flavor. Buy 2 quarts of unsalted chicken stock (not broth) and use plain water for the rest.

For the fortification, first, you get a large saute pan hot. Add a thin coating of oil, get the oil hot, then add your mirepoix (onion, carrot, celery). Cook that down over medium heat until soft (some browning is okay, just don't burn anything). When cooked, add the chicken stock, some water, fresh thyme, a few bay leaves, roasted chicken carcass or other chicken scraps (no organs or bloody bits), peppercorns --or a few grinds of black pepper. Simmer low and slow until the stock reduces and the flavors meld. Season to taste, sparingly with a tiny bit of kosher salt. Use in a recipe as is, or quick cool and freeze for later use. This will make a good base for chicken soup or the base for a Thanksgiving gravy (if using turkey).

Alternately, you can make that white, unroasted chicken stock (often used in restaurants for a more delicate flavor that doesn't overpower the other elements of a recipe):

• sixxpoint
    Options
    kennaann1 wrote: »
    Favorite protein powder?

Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0 and PES Select are up there on the list.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    What's the meaning of life?

• crananne
    crananne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting enough protein. Can you suggest lean protein ideas?
  • magpiejacobs5
    magpiejacobs5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 dieabic any ideas on what I can eat
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    I am a type 2 dieabic any ideas on what I can eat

Talk to your Doctor.
    crananne wrote: »
    I'm not getting enough protein. Can you suggest lean protein ideas?

Read this thread. Also, don't fear dietary fat. It is essential... just as protein is.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've got a tonne of ground flaxseed in the cupboard any good recipes to use it up?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. You are my new best friend (thank you for posting)!! I am going to add you as a friend!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Organic Canola Oil is NOT okay. Canola oil in any form is NOT okay. It is quite literally a pesticide because it is known to be a toxic substance. I am not joking. Do a google search "what was conola oil developed for?" and educate yourself. It takes about 10 years to affect your health and caused HEART LESIONS among other things!!!! http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/123-the-bomb-shell-truth-about-canola-oil.html
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Organic Canola Oil is NOT okay. Canola oil in any form is NOT okay. It is quite literally a pesticide because it is known to be a toxic substance. I am not joking. Do a google search "what was conola oil developed for?" and educate yourself. It takes about 10 years to affect your health and caused HEART LESIONS among other things!!!! http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/123-the-bomb-shell-truth-about-canola-oil.html

You should pick your sources better.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

But what about rapeseed oil?!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

hahahah. they can't even spell 'wise' properly.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Rapeseed oil? What is this? I want some!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

Rapeseed oil? What is this? I want some!

It comes from the most beautiful places!
    Rapeseed.jpg