I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Sch614 wrote: »
    Why is it when I roast vegetables they get dried out even though I use olive oil to coat them?? So annoying!

You're either: 1- Cutting them too small, 2- Overcooking them, 3- Not using enough fat when cooking.

Try marinating them in a simple herb-shallot-garlic-red wine vinegar & olive oil marinade instead of tossing them with oil. You'll get a better coating and more flavor.
    Narcissora wrote: »
    @sixxpoint I almost never meet or even come close to meeting the daily iron goals that MFP sets. Do you know how important it is to meet that every day? Should I be concerned and make some changes to what I'm eating in order to get more iron?

Females might require iron supplementation or correction to attain enough in their diet. Men, not so much.

Keep in mind that MFP is not an accurate way to track iron. Most entries on the database don't have iron entered. Foods like grains, greens, meats, chocolate, and other commonly eaten everyday foods all have a decent amount of iron. If you think there is a problem, it would be best to visit your doctor for a blood test before buying an iron supplement. Though I would attempt to correct your diet first if there is an issue.
    Can you give some indian low carbs dinner ideas

Not much experience here, unfortunately. My guess is you are consuming too much rice and naan? I would focus on marinated meats with garlic-ginger-spices, slow-braised stews, and roasted or grilled marinated vegetables. Hopefully, you can tell me the trick to making a good Saag Paneer? I love that stuff!
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this has been asked in the thread yet, haven't read all the pages. What is the deal with MSG- is it really bad ?
  • skins1977
    skins1977 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the secret to stop craving and eating ice cream?
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    skins1977 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the secret to stop craving and eating ice cream?

Why would you want to stop? Lol!

I eat 1200 calories a day + calories back from my activity tracker, and I manage at least one ice cream sandwich a day in there. Sometimes Fro-yo instead, sometimes green tea mochi. I can't stop eating ice cream and don't want to.

So I guess my "advice" is don't stop eating it, but instead just budget it into your daily calorie allowance.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi Sixxpoint - Chicken breasts, is there anyway to cook those things that they don't come out like plywood?
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Laura732 wrote: »
    Hi Sixxpoint - Chicken breasts, is there anyway to cook those things that they don't come out like plywood?

My Chicken Commandments:

1. Marinate, brine, or cure it. Try not to fall back on dried ground spices so much. Use fresh aromatics.
    2. Season with plenty of kosher or sea salt on both sides prior to cooking. Under-seasoned chicken is awful.
    3. Cook in larger pieces, let rest, and slice afterward. This results in better moisture retention.
    4. Get a nice sear, whether pre- or post- sear. The pan must be hot. When hot, add the oil and get that hot, too!
    5. Do not overcook; be mindful of carryover cooking after you remove it from the heat.

Other tips:
    -Try bone-in skin on breasts, half, or whole chickens (instead of your typical boneless, skinless breasts).
    -Try other cooking methods such as braising with a flavorful liquid, low and slow in a covered pot.
    -Serving with a sauce will help 9.9 times out of 10.

Tips on brining and roasting a whole bird:

• sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I posted this in another thread, but I thought it would be good here too!!

QUEST BARS (Homemade Recipe)

http://www.amazon.com/Vitafiber-Basi.../dp/B00TIX50OQ or http://www.amazon.com/Fiberyum-IMO-S.../dp/B00XQMAC48

http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2013/10...ing-vitafiber/

There are form fitting silicone molds in bar shapes on amazon to make the molding process easier. You don't have to manipulate the mold as much. Just press down with a spoon.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Freshware-CB-104RD-6-Cavity-Cornbread-Cheesecake/dp/B003VFUY0C

Freshware CB-104RD if the link doesn't work
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Okay, I guess I'm going to have to start researching protein powders - as far as I know, I've never tasted it. But I have to say, the bars looked worth trying out. Vita-fiber, too - totally new to me. Wonder if honey might be a viable substitute?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    I know protein powders well.

Also, honey or agave wouldn't work in place of fiber syrup. Fiber syrup is more a fiber supplement than sweetener. Pretty sure they use cassava as the source.
  • ejbronte
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I know protein powders well.

Also, honey or agave wouldn't work in place of fiber syrup. Fiber syrup is more a fiber supplement than sweetener. Pretty sure they use cassava as the source.

Ah. All good to know! Fiber syrup it would be, too. Would you recommend a particular powder for this sort of thing?

• sixxpoint
    Options
    It's a personal tastes sort of thing. Depends what you want to taste. Vanilla will probably give you the most versatility. Check out Giant sports or Controlled labs pronom.
  • ejbronte
    Options
    It's a personal tastes sort of thing. Depends what you want to taste. Vanilla will probably give you the most versatility. Check out Giant sports or Controlled labs pronom.

Thank you very much!

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @sixxpoint. Do you have favorite evening meal that you like to cook for yourself after a day at work?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    bump
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Do you wear funny chef pants?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    No, haha. Maybe in year 1-2 of first starting out... those white & black checkered culinary school issue pants.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to make a fresh non bitter tomato sauce? My boyfriend is ultra picky about red sauce as he is used to what his Italian grandmother used to make (of course she didn't pass along a recipe) I've tried a thousand variations and even when I find one I like the second time I make it, it seems to come out different or not have as much depth to it or taste bitter.

Hello! Tomatoes or tomato sauce shouldn't be bitter. They are innately acidic with some sweetness to them. Anyhow, here is something you can try that won't involve the hassle or inconsistency of using fresh tomatoes...

Two, 28 oz. cans crushed plum tomatoes
    1 heaped tbsp. tomato paste
    2 small onions, fine dice
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 medium stalks celery, pureed in a food processor
    1/2 bunch basil, leaves, cut
    Olive oil
    Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Open the canned tomatoes and with clean hands, crush the plum tomatoes into smaller pieces. Set aside with the juice.

2. Preheat a large, deep pan or Dutch oven over a medium stovetop flame. When the pan is hot, add a thin layer of Olive oil, and wait until the oil is hot.

3. Sweat down and lightly season the onion, garlic, and celery until soft and translucent. Don't rush the process and don't brown the veg.

4. When sweated, create a well in the center of the pan and add the tomato paste. Using a wooden spoon, cook off the tomato paste for about 1 minute and then stir it in with the veg.

5. Add the crushed plum tomatoes and remaining liquid. Add the bay leaf.

6. Reduce with a gentle simmer until the flavor and texture is desireable. Correct seasoning. Turn off heat. Stir in the fresh basil.

7. Ask your boyfriend how it tastes. You can cool and then freeze any leftover sauce.

Thank you for this! I've followed this exactly the past two times I've made sauce and it's perfect each time
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, haha. Maybe in year 1-2 of first starting out... those white & black checkered culinary school issue pants.

Bummer. ;)
  • ttanderson79
    ttanderson79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What is the best fish for knee joint recovery? I am having a time with dull pain in my knees from running and thought fish could help... Is there one?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    What's the meaning of life?