2nd day without eating meat

Options

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    This seems kinda counter productive. Meat is likely not what is causing your midsection to not be flat. Lean meat like chicken breast is excellent for building muscle while losing fat. If you want to cut something try cutting refined sugar items like white bread, cakes, cookies, candy, or crackers. I don't know anyone who recommends cutting out all meat to achieve a more muscular physique.
  • Ryanstwin
    Ryanstwin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have fat on more than my midsection .. I was just pointing that out as my most hated problem area for me because I'm making getting defined In my chest and arms. I'm well aware that you can't spot reduce.. Overall fat loss is the goal the abs will show eventually @ASKyle :-)
  • Ryanstwin
    Options
    @Hornsby no moral reasons I don't have a problem with meat. Like my post says I'm trying it for 5 out of 7 days per week
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I have given up meat recently and I have loved how I have felt and the weight has really been dropping off me. I have been focused on a plant based diet.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    What does not eating meat have to do with belly fat? I'm confused OP.

Either way, just make sure you are getting enough protein (1gram per lb of LBM).

I'm confused as well about this.
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lots of armchair nutritionists in here.....
  • Ryanstwin
    Options
    Ryanstwin wrote: »
    Still eating eggs.. Broccoli peas spinach and I'm waiting on some organic plant based whey to arrive in the mail @hollydubs85
    @_dracarys_

Well, if yesterday's diary logging is any indication of your permanent diet changes, you're going to need a lot more than 37 grams of protein.

I know I wasn't feeling well yesterday so I didn't workout or eat much I know how much protein I need daily thanks for the comments
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Why are you cutting out meat though?
    Personally for better digestion and to become more overall healthy more so tho anything. Longevity avoid heart related problems extra weight etc.

I'm pretty sure meat itself doesn't really effect that... Our bodies are really good at digesting meat.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Haven't eaten meat in years and no protein deficiency here so everybody can calm their tits. Eating less animal protein is not a bad thing. If you choose to do something different it's all good but it sounds like this person was looking for people who were doing the same thing not people to tell him why it's dumb?

I don't do anything incredibly intensive with weights but I have no problem getting enough protein for the amount of strength training I do. I strongly recommend Vega for a hit of plant based protein (plus a whole range of other nutrients.) in the morning or after a workout. Their whole line is pretty decent but Vega One is my jam. (I don't work for them or anything just a satisfied customer!) Best of luck to you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have fat on more than my midsection .. I was just pointing that out as my most hated problem area for me because I'm making getting defined In my chest and arms. I'm well aware that you can't spot reduce.. Overall fat loss is the goal the abs will show eventually @ASKyle :-)

But what does cutting out meat have to do with losing fat?

Best way to lose fat is to run a small deficit (15ish% off of TDEE), get adequate protein (0.8-1.0 grams per lb of LBM, or 0.7-0.8 grams per lb of goal body weight), and take part in a progressive strength training program. Missing any of these key points then a larger % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle than if you incorporated them.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    HotKanye wrote: »
    Haven't eaten meat in years and no protein deficiency here so everybody can calm their tits. Eating less animal protein is not a bad thing. If you choose to do something different it's all good but it sounds like this person was looking for people who were doing the same thing not people to tell him why it's dumb?

I don't do anything incredibly intensive with weights but I have no problem getting enough protein for the amount of strength training I do. I strongly recommend Vega for a hit of plant based protein (plus a whole range of other nutrients.) in the morning or after a workout. Their whole line is pretty decent but Vega One is my jam. (I don't work for them or anything just a satisfied customer!) Best of luck to you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    @Hornsby no moral reasons I don't have a problem with meat. Like my post says I'm trying it for 5 out of 7 days per week

Understand, and since you said you have digestion issues, I don't have much of a comment. You should have put that in the OP though because basically the OP reads like this - "I want to get rid of belly fat, so I am going to do something that has nothing to do with belly fat and not eat meat". Didn't make much sense at that point.
  • Ryanstwin
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    What does not eating meat have to do with belly fat? I'm confused OP.

Either way, just make sure you are getting enough protein (1gram per lb of LBM).

I'm confused as well about this.
    Ok just because I mentioned belly fat does not mean getting rid of meat will reduce only my belly fat magically. I am well aware that you can not spot reduce fat thanks I actually do research
    Why are you cutting out meat though?
    Personally for better digestion and to become more overall healthy more so tho anything. Longevity avoid heart related problems extra weight etc.

I'm pretty sure meat itself doesn't really effect that... Our bodies are really good at digesting meat.

Really ? Well I took 3 dumps this morning and it was smooth sailing like I have never experienced before not trying to be explicit but from one day no meat my digestion is much better.
  • erickirb
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok just because I mentioned belly fat does not mean getting rid of meat will reduce only my belly fat magically. I am well aware that you can not spot reduce fat thanks I actually do research

reducing meat wont reduce fat anywhere, that comes down to a caloric deficit, adequate protein, strength training program, and genetics
  • Ryanstwin
    Options
    I have given up meat recently and I have loved how I have felt and the weight has really been dropping off me. I have been focused on a plant based diet.

That's great to hear ! I felt great when I woke up this morning only after one day of no meat

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I tried that last year and failed miserably, even supplementing my protein intake from plant and other sources. I guess some people can do it but I fell flat after about 4 months. Good luck to you.

Well, no, not really. There isn't one known historic human society (not talking current societies as they haven't established that their lifestyle is sustainable for multiple generations) that was vegan. Not one. So if there were any and we don't know about them it's because they didn't survive.

I hope the OP has done a lot of research, but of course with still eating meat on the weekends, there's likely to be no major issues.

There's nothing "bad" about animal foods; quite the opposite actually. And if one is worried about excess body fat I'd be more concerned about all those extra carbs that will replace the lost meat. Likely the results of more carbs and less protein and fat won't be quite what the OP hoped for.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This seems unnecessary and silly.
  • Ryanstwin
    Options
    @HotKanye thank you for the positive feedback and I went to the gym this morning after my first day of eating meat and did 21 sets bench press heavy along with other heavy dumbbell lifts plus an hour of cardio.. On an empty stomach . I got this
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @HotKanye thank you for the positive feedback and I went to the gym this morning after my first day of eating meat and did 21 sets bench press heavy along with other heavy dumbbell lifts plus an hour of cardio.. On an empty stomach . I got this

21 sets of heavy bench press? Rep range?

21 sets of anything can't be considered heavy.
  • erickirb
    Options

That doesn't mean anything.

As long as you are getting your protein and cals you need you should not have any performance issues with lifting. Protein is important for recovery of muscles and retention of them while in a deficit. Does not have to come from meat sources though.
This discussion has been closed.