couch 2 5k

Options

Replies

• LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I totally flopped today on w4d1 so I'll be trying again for it Wednesday.
    To everyone worried about being out of shape- that's the point! You start at the bottom and build up. You can even add in a couple weeks building up to the first week of the program. Don't be afraid to go for it, it really does get easier.
    I got partway through last year on the treadmill and then switched outside when the weather got better until I got sick and stopped. It took a couple weeks to adjust to outside.

I finished week 3 yesterday and really not looking forward to week 4. Looks tough. I'm finding my running is getting better but even just the 3 minutes kills me. Still so much prefer the shorter bursts. How did it go today, where did you struggle and did you just walk it out or adjust the run time and try to keep some?

I HATE RUNNING!

I had trouble with the five minute runs. On the first one I made it a little over three minutes and cut down to a walk. I was on the hilliest portion of the trail at that point, with steps and a big uphill. I stopped my timer, walked a half minute then started back running and finished the five minutes. I think I psyched myself out on the second five minute run and actually stopped the timer to walk twice. It wasn't quite so hilly so I don't know what the problem was. Tomorrow I will plan my route better so I don't catch so much uphill on that first five minute stretch.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    Options
    I am starting in the morning. Any way I can jump on the support train? Thank you please!
    Enjoy your run!
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was on week2/day2 when life happened and i fell off the wagon. that was only a week ago, but it seems so far away! tomorrow begins again with week1/day1.

I'm not down on myself and beating myself up about it. I'm just proof that life happens! the only difference is that after a week of blissful non-exercise, i'm back on track! haha. wishing everyone the best of luck! keep running!
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Yesterday I did week 5 day 1 and it was rough! I am kind of nervous about day 2 tomorrow, and esp nervous about day 3! hope i can make it... :ohwell:
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 1. I have never tried to run before. When I'm done, I feel good, but I don't enjoy the running portions here. I barely make it through 60 seconds. We will see what next week brings!
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    WK5 day 2. I didn't realize how much I love running!
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Completed W6D2 yesterday! I'm loving it so far.
  • shemyg06
    shemyg06 Posts: 84
    Options
    well week two brings 90 second runs with 2 minute walks in between, which I just did today, week 2 day two completed.
    it was rough, but I saw improvement from week 2 day one, meaning only that I pushed myself harder, went 2.29mi, maybe not a lot for some of yall, but you can look at my pic and tell im out of shape, so that 2.29 really beat me down, but I kept pushing, kept running and am proud of myself, not sure how im going to do a 3 or 5 minute jog though, wish me luck for the coming weeks people.
  • amd429
    amd429 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @kimstwin I am in the same boat...not feelin the "love" for the running part yet...hope it comes tho I want to do two runs...one in July which is only a 2 mile family run and one in sept that is a color run....hoping I can :)
    @shemyg06 I did the same run today and only went 2.19 miles so you are running faster then me!!
  • shemyg06
    Options
    congrats on the 2.19, I was suprosed I made it that far, especially since my last run was shorted. but im really not worried about pace now, working more on endurance and being able to run a couple minutes at a time, I can get my speed up later.
    still at it though, day off today, so went to park with friend, did a few stairs and walked around the park a little
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    Options
    I was running my butt off and only making it two and a quarter miles; must be what works out.
    I did w4d1 again last night. It went better this time. I went on the road by my house and still managed a big uphill on the first five minute run so I walked but on the second five minutes I did great! I even kept going and stretched it into six minutes so I was happy.
    I have a really hard time regulating my speed. On the treadmill I struggle to go at 5 mph but outside I tend to go at 6-6.3 mph which totally burns me out on the up hills but is fine on the flat. Any suggestions how to keep pace?
  • shemyg06
    Options
    well I was supposd to run today, forgot to charge my phone lastnight and about 10% which I didn't notice until I got to the park, so I didn't run, will run tomorrow though
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 5 this week. Been doing great, but nervous about this week as I am supposed to start running for 5-8 minutes straight. I'll miss Friday since I will be camping, but I will probably redo week 5 next week to make up for it.
    Don't be too nervous. I know, I know... easier said than done. I just did W5D3 yesterday, and if you had told me a few weeks ago that by mid-June, I would run for 20 minutes without a walk break, I would've laughed in your face. You're ready, and you can do it. I feel like week 4 is a kind of "apex" if you will, and once you get past it, you can definitely do week 5.

One thing I noticed in the 8 and 20 minute runs is that I (and others) started to get kind of tired a few minutes in. That will probably happen to you, but keep going! If you can push past the start, you'll be fine. Getting a longer run started is the hardest part because your body is still getting in the groove and getting your pace going.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I decided to do day 5 of week 5 yesterday since I am missing it today, and I did AWESOME! I ran for 20 minutes straight and wanted to keep going. Not sure if it's good or not, but I ran a 5K in 38:30 which isn't bad for a guy weighing over 300 pounds who hates to run.

I am excited to keep improving and doing my first 5K in July or August. First of many!
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Ok...im kinda confused....day 5? I thought it was 3 days/ week? Am i doing the wrong program? Tomorrow will mark week 5 day 3 for me and Im so nervous about having to run 20 mins straight!
  • amd429
    amd429 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did w2d3 today and it was a little rough for me :( discouraging but I want to keep going....I did improve my actual "running" distance today! Love that update to the app that tells you how long you walked and how much you ran! I'm hoping I can do w3d1 ok. I think the 2 day rest will be good for me :)
  • _CrepeSuzette_
    _CrepeSuzette_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Any of you hated running before begin c25k?
    It's getting very hot in these days, and i was wondering about run outside instead of dripping sweat on the floor :ohwell:
    I've little stamina and tried in the past to begin with running, but i gave up after few weeks.
    Btw i know about the running benefits and i'd like to try :smile: are there any of you who completed the c25k beginning from 0 level (like me)?

ETA: how many calories do you burn during the 1st week workouts?
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with the five minute runs. On the first one I made it a little over three minutes and cut down to a walk. I was on the hilliest portion of the trail at that point, with steps and a big uphill. I stopped my timer, walked a half minute then started back running and finished the five minutes. I think I psyched myself out on the second five minute run and actually stopped the timer to walk twice. It wasn't quite so hilly so I don't know what the problem was. Tomorrow I will plan my route better so I don't catch so much uphill on that first five minute stretch.
    [/quote]

I could not agree with you more! It's so psychological. After complaining about those 3min runs I found that knowing my next challenge was the 5 minute I manaed the 3mins pretty well and struggled from about half way through the 5s. It's like I'm programmed to find it hard at the same point each run, even though I might have run more than ever before until that point. Hoping I can just remind myself that after about 30 seconds I find it really tough, but it doesn't actually get any harder than that and that although I want to stop there's no reaon I can't keep going.

Best of luck with week 4!! xx
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    Options
    Third time was a charm! I finally did the w4 workouts as is and added a sixth minute on the last run again.
    Crepe- I did this program last year and could barely get through the first week. I started in February and by June I could do 5k in under 30 before I slacked off when my husband got sick. Just repeat if you need to and keep going.
    Best of luck to everyone's weekend runs.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i did week 2 day 3 today. so far i'm finding it pretty easy, but today was a bit tougher as i was determined to do it despite having a slightly iffy digestive tract!
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    Finished week 6 day 3 on thursday and finsihed first 5K on saturday (yesterday- not fast but not last! LOL:bigsmile: )