couch 2 5k

Options
1235»

Replies

• faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 7. Think I will repeat it at least one more day. I may actually feel ready for a 5k soon!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If you've looked ahead you've probably seen Week 5, day 3 looming ahead of you. 20 minutes running, non-stop. It looks impossible. Before this the most you'll have done will be 8 minutes at a time. 20 minutes is 4 minutes longer than even the longest running day you've had so far if add up the running (8+8, 3+5+3+5, etc.).

Well I just got back from that run and am happy to report that what everyone else says about it is absolutely true. It is 100% mental. Physically it feels about the same as running 8 minutes...just...for longer. Your body will get into a rhythm and if you keep your pace steady you can do it.

To put this in perspective, I'm a 27 year old male, 6'1", and nearly 300lbs or 136kg. Yet, I was still able to do it. Your body will absolutely be ready for it. Trust the program, and trust your body.

Also another tip for the program, is don't worry about your pace per km/mi. If you use an app like runkeeper turn the audio prompt for pace off. The key to c25k is simply to run the time/distance they suggest, regardless of how fast you are. I have no experience running and like I said, am 300lbs and I run about a 12 minute mile. Some beginners run a 13, 14, or even 15 minute miles. Some run a 9 or 10 minute mile. In c25k that is completely irrelevant. Once you're able to run a 5K in distance then you can start worrying about improving your pace.

My husband and I have been stuck on week 5 day 2 for awhile now. We haven't been able to make that mental jump to 20 minutes. But this has been motivating. I want to get him to try this coming week :).
  • janicen2
    janicen2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just did week 2 day 2. I had started running a few months ago but had problems with my back spasing so I started taking hot yoga classes. Now I have no problems with my back and I can do the couch to 5k. I try to do every other day running/yoga. I feel stronger. I have yet to see the scale tipping in my favour but I figure it will come if I keep it up.
  • jwhitch
    jwhitch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I finished week 3 this morning but I think I'm going to repeat it because I don't think I have the stamina to do week 4! I looked ahead and saw that I'm supposed to run one segment for 6 minutes and I've had a hard enough time doing the 3 minutes. I don't know if I should just forge ahead & try it but my common sense is telling me I should take another stab at week 3 before moving forward. Also, I'm a lot older than most of you!

If you finished week 3, you are ready to do week 4. Don't sell yourself short. Also, don't worry about your age. People older than you have started running by using this program.

I took your advice & did day 1 of week 4 and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I actually did the 6 minutes without any trouble! Thanks for the encouragement!
  • TinyChestnut
    Options
    I want to do it so bad, but seeing as I have already had 2 seperate knee surgeries and a 3rd pending, I don't think it would be smart. My hats off to anyone who can complete it!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Anyone out running in the rain?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Whenever it rains!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Finally did week 5 day 3, the 20 minute run. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck all!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Finally did week 5 day 3, the 20 minute run. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck all!

Way to go!!

Did everyone go elsewhere or is this just abandoned?