Men and Women have different discussions..........

Options

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Anyone can endlessly complain about people who affect their life.

My husband *****es about people he works with to me. I ***** about people I work with to him. I do not think this is a men vs. women thing. I have 3 brothers and all of them have also complained about people to me.

But, I thought that men only talked about how much they love everyone and want to give them hugs. And rainbows, sunshine, flowers and unicorns.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've often heard it said that "women could rule the world, if only they could learn to get along".

I once heard it said if women ruled the world there'd be no more war...just nations that are no longer speaking with one another.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I know there's articles out there discussing the psychology of why some women do this. Not all do, but I've observed it as well. I also have a different perspective. I'm a lesbian, and among my gay/lesbian friends, we don't have those kinds of conversations, either. Not to say we can't gossip, though.:laugh:

I've observed men teasing each other relentlessly, and laugh it off. But, at times, it comes across as downright insulting and mean-spirited. I'm just as curious why men kid with each other like that, as you'll rarely find women teasing each other as such.
    It's a man thing. We tend to jostle each other with insults because the more insulting it is, the funnier. And men pretty much know that we not serious about it.
    I saw one of the HS kids in the gym with a boot on his foot and asked if it was for getting injured playing hopscotch. And of course he and his friends laughed it off and thought it was funny.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I know there's articles out there discussing the psychology of why some women do this. Not all do, but I've observed it as well. I also have a different perspective. I'm a lesbian, and among my gay/lesbian friends, we don't have those kinds of conversations, either. Not to say we can't gossip, though.:laugh:

Wait you've never had a gay man go into the mode? I worked with a gay man before and he would go on and on about how only pretty people should be allowed to work and all the ugly people should be sent on an island. He definitely would have sent me to the island in a heart beat.

Oh gawd, gay men are their own universe! Yes, I've had them go into "mode". Usually has me rolling in laughter. I was thinking more "lesbian" than "gay". Gay men do it to such an extreme, I can't take it seriously.
    Lol, my brother (who cuts my hair is gay) and so are a few cousins. And yes they are DRAMA. But it's hella funny. It's hardly ever viscous. It's more like.........."oh whatever".

IDEA Fitness member
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a woman, and I hate girl/salon talk.
    I don't feel the need to trash talk other females. Never have. I'm always craking jokes so I've always really clicked with men mostly. My best friends of like 10 years are girls but are more like me though, so we click.
    I can't stand catty women or gossiping. Maybe it's because I'm so caught up in my own life that I honestly don't care about Jennifer's one last stand, or who said what about who. It's so pointless to me. I'll take men teasing and punching each other any day, at least that's entertaining.
  • jojo86xdd
    Options
    Perhaps generalizing from women's salon talk would be akin to generalizing from guys' locker room talk.

Not all women are vapid backstabbers just like not all men talk incessantly about who they nailed on Friday night and how crazy she was.

Very true. Some of the deepest and enlightening conversations I've had have been with male friends. Over beers of course lol
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options

You need to find some more interesting females to associate with. Look for childless females who have big feet and enjoy playing WOW or some other rpg. They cant talk about cute shoes because there are none for them, no kids, and if they like games like that chances they are a big nerd and have some interests in life other than the mall..

HAHAHAH! You almost described me perfectly...except I have tiny feet for my height (7-7.5 @ 5'8"). I'm childless, play WoW (really well...), used to play EvE-online (even better), race cars, dive master, college football fanatic (and newly minted Patriots fan now that Tebow will be there...I'm a Gator), and all around adrenaline junky (which is tempering somewhat with age, I suppose).

I've always been a tomboy, authentic car-chic, and have had very few / selective female friends. I'm NOT into gossip, and my "girliness" is limited to a SMALL collection of purses, shoes I hardly have occasion to wear, and Brighton / Pandora jewelry that I buy for myself. And even those collections didn't start until the last five years.

If given the choice between a new shiny part for one of my cars, or a new fancy purse / jewelry....I'd pick the car EVERY time. Vry few women can relate, lol. :)
  • jojo86xdd
    Options
    honestly, i dont care what women haircutters are talking about when they are shampooing my hair and their boobs are in my face.

roflmao! :::dies:::
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Way to perpetuate the idea that all women are b*itches who hate each other, and spend their time talking about nothing else other than how much of a hor Susan is, and how Annie's hair looks like s*hit.

To all women who have posted about how they can't get along with other women, it's time to grow out of the hischool phase of your lives.
    Seriously, every time someone says "other women don't like me, so I only have guys friends", what I actually hear is " I am kind'of a burlitch, and I'd rather put women down to get all the male attention".

Also, womenz is just like people, yo. I promise.
    Like I mentioned, it's an observation I've noticed. Just in salons. I haven't noticed hearing it anywhere else. Even in my gym.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    These threads bum me out. First someone paints women as catty with a broad brush (no pun intended), and then a bunch of women agree with this tripe and pile on saying "that's why I have only guy friends" blah blah. Well I'm no misogynist, this crap makes me disappointed in everyone equally.
    Lol, you make it seem as if I said ALL women are like this when that's certainly not the case.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    These threads bum me out. First someone paints women as catty with a broad brush (no pun intended), and then a bunch of women agree with this tripe and pile on saying "that's why I have only guy friends" blah blah. Well I'm no misogynist, this crap makes me disappointed in everyone equally.
    Lol, you make it seem as if I said ALL women are like this when that's certainly not the case.

IDEA Fitness member
    Of course that's not the case, but if you're going to be obtuse about how your post implied otherwise then the conversation is a non-starter and I get to be right and wrap myself up in the rightness. Like a burrito. Of rightness.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, is this news to you? Women talk about each other, drama, clothes, hair, nails, etc. You guys talk about fixing trucks and tire sizes and sports. we tune you out, you tune us out.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Of course that's not the case, but if you're going to be obtuse about how your post implied otherwise then the conversation is a non-starter and I get to be right and wrap myself up in the rightness. Like a burrito. Of rightness.
    Or it could just be that I just hear this in salons when I go. I wasn't being subjective about it, I'm just amused that it happens in front of me and wished they served popcorn.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _chiaroscuro
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Or it could just be that I just hear this in salons when I go. I wasn't being subjective about it, I'm just amused that it happens in front of me and wished they served popcorn.

IDEA Fitness member

From within Rightness Burrito, any reply from you other than "okay yeah, I knew what I would start when I wrote this" comes through as dolphin squeaks.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

From within Rightness Burrito, any reply from you other than "okay yeah, I knew what I would start when I wrote this" comes through as dolphin squeaks.
    Lol, and you do realize that dolphins are probably the most intelligent animal in the world (next to humanoids of course............well maybe even more than some:laugh: )?
    I'm waiting for my sardines now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Perhaps generalizing from women's salon talk would be akin to generalizing from guys' locker room talk.

Not all women are vapid backstabbers just like not all men talk incessantly about who they nailed on Friday night and how crazy she was.

True Story!

Now, who were you with on Friday night, and how crazy was she? :wink:

But seriously, what OP described is NOT the kind of talk I have with my hairstylist, who I've been going to for 20 years now. We catch up with each other's lives, I listen to her talk about her kids and she listens to me talk about my band or my pugs or cats or whatever, we talk about fitness and we share ideas about clothes... or even hair, imagine that! It's not a b*tchfest because that's just not how we roll.

When my husband comes home from the barber, he tells me he has had much the same kind of conversation: catching up with what's going on in life, maybe some news stories and the weather thrown in there, yard work that needs to be done, new tools or technology purchased, whatever.

It's not really about gender. Some people just focus on the negative, and others choose to focus on the positive. Much like here on MFP. I've got both male and female friends here (and IRL), probably almost equal amounts, and I communicate pretty much the same way with all of them with very few exceptions.

But that's just me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Okay while reading the mfp forums today, the male posting, he appears to be at least 35 years old, was posting about the hair salon and people that work and get their hair cut there. He was saying that they were saying lots of "I can't stand her" and "I don't like her" and basic criticism of other females was the topic of conversation.

Now some will say it's just a single incident, but I've noticed this with other mfp posts when males carry on conversations with others
    If I go to facebook (rarity since I'm usually busy with other stuff), the females talk about science, politics, yoga, dance, fitness and share articles to discuss amongst all.

So I gotta feel this has an effect on how males view themselves whenever they are assessing themselves.

This is just my observation from experiences.

Why are men like this? Do you think that we should say stuff about how we dislike men and should never be friends with them? Should we talk about how crazy, petty, catty, and juvenile men are? Should men talk about how they are nothing like other men? Do you think a man could ever be president? Or would they just post messages on forums talking about what women talk about?

Thoughts?
  • _chiaroscuro
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, and you do realize that dolphins are probably the most intelligent animal in the world (next to humanoids of course............well maybe even more than some:laugh: )?
    I'm waiting for my sardines now.

IDEA Fitness member
    Tumbleweed gif no workie. Sniff.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    nxI0K2i.jpg

UYlnDVQ.gif
  • Sarahonly
    Sarahonly Posts: 36 Member
    Options

This.