Are there any other thin girls who have an insanely high BF%?

Replies

• katiem555
    katiem555 Posts: 84 Member
    @maidentl Perhaps there's a generational gap here, but it's not uncommon for people to speak figuratively. There's a reason there's a word for it. Of course I don't think I have no muscle. I can speak and walk. Wow...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    katiem555 wrote: »
    @maidentl Perhaps there's a generational gap here, but it's not uncommon for people to speak figuratively. There's a reason there's a word for it. Of course I don't think I have no muscle. I can speak and walk. Wow...

Well, you've been over the top this entire thread. If you don't want people to be condescending to you, try not to be so rude. There's a thought.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Yes! I'm 5'10" and 122lbs but my stomach especially always looks huge compared to the rest of me. I feel like I could weigh 50lbs and my belly would still stick out. I totally get where you're coming from.
  • katiem555
    @maidentl I don't think speaking figuratively is being over the top to be honest. I think baseless assumptions are a little bit more OTT, really. I wasn't rude at all, with the exception of my last comment. Might I remind you that you're the one who sarcastically asked me if I was speaking figuratively?
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2015

@noaddedsugarx Thank you! I'm exactly the same. My mother has the same kind of body as me, too. You've made me feel a bit better. It does feel unfair but I suppose the extra work will at least benefit our health. Still rather eat my weight in carbs and have a flat stomach though... We'll get there!

We will get there! I don't know why you're getting such a hard time. I thought it was well known that certain people are genetically predisposed to storing body fat in certain spots. I know that there are people with a much worse diet and lifestyle than me who don't do any sort of exercise and don't look anywhere near as flabby as I do! even if I have a lower BMI and am technically lighter than them.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    In college I weighed 95 lbs and was very much squishy fat (my doctor's calipers figured me at around 30%). I had very little muscle tone and was pretty weak. Then I started eating more protein (I was basically an all-carb vegetarian before) and lifting heavy(ish) weights and I look so much better now (at 15+ lbs heavier) than I did then (see profile picture - more muscles, much leaner). I personally started with dumbbells at home and then moved to the bar at the gym when I had some of the basics down - but check out some programs like Lean and Lovely, Strong Curves or Strong Lifts - all the things people posted above. It sounds like you'll get what you're looking for if you just start building some good muscles :)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Oh boy.

tumblr_m5xzmd7rgz1qbaj4uo1_400.gif ?

If your concern is alleged lack of muscle mass, why is your chosen solution trying out ketosis for a few months? Why not built muscle by lifting weights? I’m just a bit puzzled.

Justcat, yay for strength! That’s awesome.
  • katiem555
    @noaddedsugarx Ah man I know :-(, and yeah I thought it was kind of common knowledge, it's not all too common but it's definitely a thing. It's so frustrating. Thanks for responding though, at least I know I'm some sort of genetic anomaly hahaha

@dietcoke281 i know!! it's the worst. Even when my weight is fluctuating my stomach fat remains there no matter what :( at least we're not alone
  • katiem555
    justcat206 wrote: »
    In college I weighed 95 lbs and was very much squishy fat (my doctor's calipers figured me at around 30%). I had very little muscle tone and was pretty weak. Then I started eating more protein (I was basically an all-carb vegetarian before) and lifting heavy(ish) weights and I look so much better now (at 15+ lbs heavier) than I did then (see profile picture - more muscles, much leaner). I personally started with dumbbells at home and then moved to the bar at the gym when I had some of the basics down - but check out some programs like Lean and Lovely, Strong Curves or Strong Lifts - all the things people posted above. It sounds like you'll get what you're looking for if you just start building some good muscles :)

@justcat206 Ah I needed this. I suppose the upside is that with a bit of work it can be sorted out, it's just so frustrating that I have to put so much effort in. I don't even want to be lean really, I just don't want such a high body fat percentage. I'll look into those things thanks, they're getting bookmarked. And congratulations, you look amazing!
  • katiem555
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Oh boy.

If your concern is alleged lack of muscle mass, why is your chosen solution trying out ketosis for a few months? Why not built muscle by lifting weights? I’m just a bit puzzled.

@Emilia777 How is suggesting that I am genetically predisposed to store less muscle and/ or more fat than your average person on par with being a special snowflake? I've acknowledged that, of course, diet and exercise are a factor too, but you really think this is 0% nature and 100% nurture? You think that there is no genetic say in how lean a person is or is not?

And I must have said five or six times in this thread that I've started, and plan to continue, strength training. I'm considering doing ketosis alongside this. Is that alright with you, She Who Stores Tumblr GIFS on Her Computer?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I recall someone else pretty small posting the same type of thread a few weeks ago--very low weight with perceptions of something like 40 percent body fat.

My weight isn't "very" low, I'm only 20 and it's not unusual for young women to be slightly underweight. I always have been. I do not think my body fat is 40%. If you were asking me to guess, I'd say 25%, which as far as I'm concerned, for a lass with my BMI, is definitely far too high.

110 @ 5'5" is a very low weight. I've been 5'5" and 110. It's a low weight. And 25% body fat is completely healthy.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    @maidentl I don't think speaking figuratively is being over the top to be honest. I think baseless assumptions are a little bit more OTT, really. I wasn't rude at all, with the exception of my last comment. Might I remind you that you're the one who sarcastically asked me if I was speaking figuratively?

Well, for starters, I wasn't being sarcastic. We have had people come in here before insisting that they've "built" mass quantities of muscle because they lose enough fat to reveal that muscle. But they will insist that they had no muscles before, these are new! So, I was asking to be sure that wasn't the case. But I can see you're just here to be combative and argumentative with anyone who doesn't tell you what you want to hear, so please, carry on.
  • katiem555
    @jemhh My BMI is 18.3, that's two points below the "healthy range". I eat what I want, when I want, I'm never hungry, I make no effort whatsoever to maintain my weight. I have always been this weight.

25% body fat might be healthy, fair enough, I'm no expert. It's not ideal though, and it's certainly unusually high for someone of my BMI.
  • Emilia777
    edited May 2015
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Oh boy.

@Emilia777 How is suggesting that I am genetically predisposed to store less muscle and/ or more fat than your average person on par with being a special snowflake? I've acknowledged that, of course, diet and exercise are a factor too, but you really think this is 0% nature and 100% nurture? You think that there is no genetic say in how lean a person is or is not?

And I must have said five or six times in this thread that I've started, and plan to continue, strength training. I'm considering doing ketosis alongside this. Is that alright with you, She Who Stores Tumblr GIFS on Her Computer?

My point was that it’s not so unusual to have little muscle mass if someone isn’t strength training, and you’re probably overestimating the amount of body fat you think you have, so you can probably change your body composition more easily than you think. But you’re welcome to think whatever you like. ;)

Edited to add a body fat chart commonly referred to:

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg
  • katiem555
    maidentl wrote: »

Well, for starters, I wasn't being sarcastic. We have had people come in here before insisting that they've "built" mass quantities of muscle because they lose enough fat to reveal that muscle. But they will insist that they had no muscles before, these are new! So, I was asking to be sure that wasn't the case. But I can see you're just here to be combative and argumentative with anyone who doesn't tell you what you want to hear, so please, carry on.

In which case I'm sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic.
    I'm not here to be argumentative, which is why I have been nice to everyone who's been nice to me, and even nice to some who haven't (with the exception of you, I was mistaken).
  • katiem555
    @Emilia777 Yeah you're right, it's not so unusual to have little muscle mass if you're not strength training. What I'm saying is that mine seems to be a lot higher than even those who don't do any strength training, including friends who weigh more than me, are completely sedentary, and eat like *kitten*.
    I probably can change my body composition more easily than I think. I'm being lazy and I haven't really tried.

That doesn't change the fact that even among those who do zero exercise and eat like *kitten*, my body fat percentage is very high relative to my lifestyle and BMI. It just is. I'm sure I can change it, but I will have to put more effort in even just to look """"normal""" for my height and weight.
  • katiem555
    @Emilia777 Not sure about the legitimacy of the body fat chart but thanks for including it. If I'm not mistaken, though, aren't there wildly different criteria for men and women RE body fat percentages?
  • Emilia777
    edited May 2015
    @Emilia777 Yeah you're right, it's not so unusual to have little muscle mass if you're not strength training. What I'm saying is that mine seems to be a lot higher than even those who don't do any strength training, including friends who weigh more than me, are completely sedentary, and eat like *kitten*.
    I probably can change my body composition more easily than I think. I'm being lazy and I haven't really tried.

That doesn't change the fact that even among those who do zero exercise and eat like *kitten*, my body fat percentage is very high relative to my lifestyle and BMI. It just is. I'm sure I can change it, but I will have to put more effort in even just to look """"normal""" for my height and weight.

Well, I really can’t speak to the second part of that, as I don’t know what your body composition is, what your friends’ body composition is, or what you think is “normal”. I was actually trying to help, by the way. But anyway. Best of luck to you.

Edited to add: RE body fat chart, I’m not so sure about its legitimacy either, but it can still give you an idea. And yes, body fat for men is different, as women have around 10% essential body fat and men much less. I also look at these two resources (1, 2) for an idea of body fat, though they’re not exactly clinically approved either.
  • katiem555
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I'm 20 years old, 110lbs (naturally - I've tried gaining weight and I do eat pretty healthily) and have an incredibly high BF%. I don't have the figures at hand, but I literally am all fat, there mustn't be a single pound of muscle on my body and I look at least 10lbs larger than I am because of it. My diet is probably disproportionately high in carbs and low in protein, and this is likely to be a huge contributor. There are, however, girls my age who binge drink 3 and 4 times a week, eat like *kitten*, and still have a lower BF% than me. I know what I need to do to reduce my BF% (more strength training, cardio, and protein), and I know that my BF% is exacerbated by my diet, but what I'm asking is are there any other thin girls on MFP who also have a naturally very high BF%? Just wanna know that I'm not alone...

I'm what you'd call "skinny fat" (muscle-less weed), and I've no doubt that with the right diet and exercise I can rectify this, but I'll definitely have to work harder than most to do so - my body just seems to love storing every last pound of my weight as fat. I'm considering a month or so of ketosis as an experiment.

YOu're saying you have roughly 50% body fat and you weigh 110lbs? So you have roughly 55lbs of fat?

@Pu_239 You've said that twice now. Where am I saying that I'm 50% fat? That's literally impossible... hahaha where are you getting that from?
  • katiem555
    @Emilia777 They look like what most people of a healthy weight who don't do any exercise and eat like *kitten* look like. If I'm not mistaken, "special snowflake" is a pejorative term...