Are there any other thin girls who have an insanely high BF%?

Replies

• katiem555
    katiem555 Posts: 84 Member
    @Emilia777 Thanks for the links though, I will have a look
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    katiem555 wrote: »
    @Emilia777 They look like what most people of a healthy weight who don't do any exercise and eat like *kitten* look like. If I'm not mistaken, "special snowflake" is a pejorative term...

Oh I didn’t mean it that way, I only meant that you might have some misconceptions as to what is normal and what isn’t. Sorry if it came across like that!

And you’re most welcome. Good luck with your goals.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    I highly doubt that at 5'5 110lbs you have a high body fat percentage, much less "insanely high".

@I_Will_End_You Why? If I don't have much muscle then it follows that I must have a disproportionate amount of fat. My body has to be made of up something, and it isn't muscle.

Bones, tissue, water, there are an abundant amount of things your body is made up of. Did I miss is where you said what this "insanely high" body fat percentage is?

Is there really any need to be so arsey? You really don't need to talk to her like an idiot, she's just trying to ask a question.
    I'm fairly certain she's not mistaking any of her fat/muscle for fat or water.

And I'm pretty sure 'tissue' is made up of fat and muscle

well to be honest 5.5" and 110 pounds ( which is underweight and no, i am not attack the OP she says after all she tries to eat as much as she can) but yeah it rings some bells
    Specially when she says insanely much BF%

When underweight i ask myself were that fat is.

"When underweight I ask myself were that fat is"
    That literally makes no sense, I think you need to have a little read up on body composition and come back when you can give an informed, helpful response.

Young man i think perfectly well what i am doing and reading here.
    When she is 110 pound she cant have insanely high BF%
    So or the % of BF isn't right or she isn't 110 pounds

I dont have to read into that at all.
    I didn't say a word about body composition which had nothing to do with my response

Further more as somebody who is a bit older then you ( i could be your mom) i dont let myself order around by a youngster who comes in MFP has no stats or any other proven experience/skills/knowledge to me.

I treat people here with respect and speak to them in that way....i expect the same in return!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    I'm so confused. OP, you have no idea what your BFP is...because you've never had it tested. All you can do I make a guess...based on how you feel your body looks (see, it does have something to do with how you feel, because another person may not see you as flabby at all; body image is subjective). Anyway, if you think 25% BF isn't ideal...but you may or may not agree that it describes your body...you need to understand that 25% is not fat, is not flabby, etc. Look up some examples of 25% BF and you'll see that they may not be muscular, but they're definitely not squishy all over.

Also, you said you don't want to be lean...but you don't want a high BF. That's contradictory.
  • katiem555
    @Pu_239 I know it's diet related. All diet related, though? Exclusively diet related? No genetic factors here at all? Got any sources for that? You don't think there's the slightest bit of genetic variation in how people store calories in terms of what gets stored as fat, what gets stored as muscle, and what gets burned? You think that all people uniformly have exactly the same BF% and the only thing that makes a difference is diet and exercise?

Twins have been born and raised in different families and both have grown up to identify as gay. That would suggest that there is a genetic factor determining sexuality, yet you are 100% sure that there is absolutely NO genetic factor determining one's BF%? There are genetic factors in mental health, in hair colour, shoe size, personality traits, you name it, but you outright refuse to believe that my body fat percentage could be determined in any way shape or form by genetics? I'm not saying that I can't achieve a lower BF% by adjusting my diet and exercising more, but you've got to be kidding me.

Wow.
  • katiem555
    I highly doubt that at 5'5 110lbs you have a high body fat percentage, much less "insanely high".

@I_Will_End_You Why? If I don't have much muscle then it follows that I must have a disproportionate amount of fat. My body has to be made of up something, and it isn't muscle.

Bones, tissue, water, there are an abundant amount of things your body is made up of. Did I miss is where you said what this "insanely high" body fat percentage is?

Is there really any need to be so arsey? You really don't need to talk to her like an idiot, she's just trying to ask a question.

well to be honest 5.5" and 110 pounds ( which is underweight and no, i am not attack the OP she says after all she tries to eat as much as she can) but yeah it rings some bells

That literally makes no sense, I think you need to have a little read up on body composition and come back when you can give an informed, helpful response.

I didn't say a word about body composition which had nothing to do with my response

Further more as somebody who is a bit older then you ( i could be your mom) i dont let myself order around by a youngster who comes in MFP has no stats or any other proven experience/skills/knowledge to me.

I treat people here with respect and speak to them in that way....i expect the same in return!

@TheOwlhouseDesigns BF% is one aspect of body composition, so it does have something to do with your response. Of course thin people can have very high body fat percentages, it's pretty common actually. A lot of elderly people are very thin with very little muscle and lots of fat. There are lots of young thin people with poor diets who have lots of fat, and there are people with relatively healthy lifestyles who are thin but their bodies are naturally more inclined to store more fat than they do muscle.
  • katiem555
    I'm so confused. OP, you have no idea what your BFP is...because you've never had it tested. All you can do I make a guess...based on how you feel your body looks (see, it does have something to do with how you feel, because another person may not see you as flabby at all; body image is subjective). Anyway, if you think 25% BF isn't ideal...but you may or may not agree that it describes your body...you need to understand that 25% is not fat, is not flabby, etc. Look up some examples of 25% BF and you'll see that they may not be muscular, but they're definitely not squishy all over.

Also, you said you don't want to be lean...but you don't want a high BF. That's contradictory.

@lemonsnowdrop I know. I'm going on what I look like relative to the bodies of other women of healthy and lower weights. Going on what my body looks like is not the same as going on how I feel about my body, but it is subjective, I know. Regardless, I maintain that for someone of my height and weight I have a hell of a lot more fat on my body than I should have. I suppose you'll just have to take my word that my concern is not deluded. I know 25% isn't fat, that doesn't make sense because it's a body fat percentage, but it's very high for someone of my height and weight. I think I probably have about 25% fat and very, very little muscle.

I wouldn't say it's contradictory, there's a middle ground between lean and high.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    So, if I'm getting all this correctly- you're slightly underweight, have no idea what your actual bf% is, refuse to post a pic (even one where your face is cropped out) so we can get a sense of what you actually look like (some people here are pretty good at estimating bf from pics), and your whole rant is how your lazy, crap-eating friends look better than you, despite your superior lifestyle because you (obviously) are somehow genetically predisposed to store fat rather than build muscle (even tho you've said repeatedly that you know you don't eat enough protein or get enough strength training).

Ummm... Yeah, I can't even.

Good luck, hon.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member

@lemonsnowdrop I know. I'm going on what I look like relative to the bodies of other women of healthy and lower weights. Going on what my body looks like is not the same as going on how I feel about my body, but it is subjective, I know. Regardless, I maintain that for someone of my height and weight I have a hell of a lot more fat on my body than I should have. I suppose you'll just have to take my word that my concern is not deluded. I know 25% isn't fat, that doesn't make sense because it's a body fat percentage, but it's very high for someone of my height and weight. I think I probably have about 25% fat and very, very little muscle.

I wouldn't say it's contradictory, there's a middle ground between lean and high.

BF is different for each individual. 25% for you may not look the same as 25% on someone else. It's relative to you. I don't think it's that high either way. In fact, I'm 5'1, 107 pounds and I would say I'm about 25%.
  • katiem555
    @tlflag1620 Yeah, I should get a measurement and yes, I should post a picture but I just wouldn't be comfortable with that and I don't think that's grounds to mock me, lots of people wouldn't be comfortable with that.
    I never once said my "lazy, crap-eating friends" look better than me. I said that they weigh more than me but have lower body fat percentages than me. "Superior" is a carefully selected word you've chosen to make me look bad. I said I eat far too many carbs and have only just started very light strength training, I've said that a million times.

If you think there are genetic factors determining personality traits, sexuality, shoe size, hair colour, creativity and all of the other billions of things that aren't ALL nurture but are, at least in part, influenced by nature, then you're a fool. For probably the 80th time, I'm lazy and I eat like *kitten*, and if I work hard enough, I'll get a decent BF%, that doesn't change the fact that for my height, weight, and lifestyle - poor as it is - my body fat percentage is unusually high.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    @Pu_239 I know it's diet related. All diet related, though? Exclusively diet related? No genetic factors here at all? Got any sources for that? You don't think there's the slightest bit of genetic variation in how people store calories in terms of what gets stored as fat, what gets stored as muscle, and what gets burned? You think that all people uniformly have exactly the same BF% and the only thing that makes a difference is diet and exercise?

Twins have been born and raised in different families and both have grown up to identify as gay. That would suggest that there is a genetic factor determining sexuality, yet you are 100% sure that there is absolutely NO genetic factor determining one's BF%? There are genetic factors in mental health, in hair colour, shoe size, personality traits, you name it, but you outright refuse to believe that my body fat percentage could be determined in any way shape or form by genetics? I'm not saying that I can't achieve a lower BF% by adjusting my diet and exercising more, but you've got to be kidding me.

Wow.

You may be genetically predisposed to store more fat on your thighs and butt as opposed to on your stomach or arms. But your genes are not going to cause you to store more muscle vs fat. Your eating habits and exercise habits will control that.
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015

@TheOwlhouseDesigns BF% is one aspect of body composition, so it does have something to do with your response. Of course thin people can have very high body fat percentages, it's pretty common actually. A lot of elderly people are very thin with very little muscle and lots of fat. There are lots of young thin people with poor diets who have lots of fat, and there are people with relatively healthy lifestyles who are thin but their bodies are naturally more inclined to store more fat than they do muscle.

i know that very well. But wasnt speaking of that
    I was talking about the fact of your "insanely high" remark when you are only 110 pounds
    It cant be insanely high!!!

I am a former coach and trainer so dont think or presume that what i know or dont know.

• katiem555
    @jemhh Considering the amount of things that are at least in part determined by a person's genetics, I'd say that statistically it's more likely that genetics do come in to play here. Again, I'm not suggesting that eating and exercise aren't huge contributors, they just aren't the only ones.
  • Emilia777
    edited May 2015
    OP, it’s ok to express frustration, but call it what it is. Lots of people have a set of circumstances that have led them to a weight or level of strength that they aren’t necessarily happy with, and this is why they come on here to try to change that. There are people on this board who have serious conditions that prohibit them from engaging in a lot of exercise, for instance, and what do they do? Work hard to change the things they can, like diet monitoring or walking more or whatever is doable for them.

I would try to focus on achieving my goals rather than lamenting my current condition for some reason or another. There are many great resources here to do just that.
  • katiem555
    @TheOwlhouseDesigns "insanely high" is a subjective term. I should rephrase, my body fat percentage is very high for my BMI
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    and btw my last posting and reaction was to @more_productive who found it necessary to be rude and to send me out reading and come back when i knew more about it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    @jemhh Considering the amount of things that are at least in part determined by a person's genetics, I'd say that statistically it's more likely that genetics do come in to play here. Again, I'm not suggesting that eating and exercise aren't huge contributors, they just aren't the only ones.

If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

If you are fat, it's because you eat more than you burn. It's not because your genes are causing it.
  • katiem555
    @Emilia777 None taken but I'll have to agree to disagree with you. Diet and exercise are huge factors, and certainly bigger than any natural predisposition by body has to store whatever wherever, but given all the things that are partially determined by genetics (pretty much everything), I'd say that it's statistically more likely that genetics do have a role to play. Genes have a role in influencing pretty every single aspect of the human condition. I'm not making excuses, I'm lazy and have a poor diet and the only thing that will make me look better is a shift in my lifestyle. That doesn't mean genes don't come into the picture
  • katiem555
    Pu_239 wrote: »

Wow.

Of course some genetics play a role, but it doesn't mean anything. You can sit there being obese and saying 'oh i am destine to be fat" or you can take action and do what's necessary. I was big all my life, didn't stop me from losing 150lbs.

calories in vs calories out is a physical "law". Physical laws control how the universe works despite genetics.

I really am getting sick of saying now that diet and exercise are the biggest factors at play in determining body fat percentages. Only a moron would argue otherwise. Genetics do come into it though, and they certainly aren't statistically insignificant. Don't act as though I'm using it as an excuse when I've said a million times that I need to eat better and exercise and that I have started doing that
  • Emilia777
    edited May 2015
    @Emilia777 None taken but I'll have to agree to disagree with you. Diet and exercise are huge factors, and certainly bigger than any natural predisposition by body has to store whatever wherever, but given all the things that are partially determined by genetics (pretty much everything), I'd say that it's statistically more likely that genetics do have a role to play. Genes have a role in influencing pretty every single aspect of the human condition. I'm not making excuses, I'm lazy and have a poor diet and the only thing that will make me look better is a shift in my lifestyle. That doesn't mean genes don't come into the picture

I’m not saying they don’t - I’m just saying it shouldn’t matter. Seriously, why does it matter to you? I don’t see the point in dwelling on it.