Are there any other thin girls who have an insanely high BF%?

Options

Replies

• katiem555
    katiem555 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    katiem555 wrote: »
    @jemhh Considering the amount of things that are at least in part determined by a person's genetics, I'd say that statistically it's more likely that genetics do come in to play here. Again, I'm not suggesting that eating and exercise aren't huge contributors, they just aren't the only ones.

If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

If you are fat, it's because you eat more than you burn. It's not because your genes are causing it.

@jemhh I'm 110lbs. And yeah, you're right, 100% right, but don't dismiss the fact that genetics do come into play, even if that's largely outweighed (no pun intended) by genes.
    Regardless, I'm not saying a word about weight. This thread is about body fat percentage
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    @tlflag1620 Yeah, I should get a measurement and yes, I should post a picture but I just wouldn't be comfortable with that and I don't think that's grounds to mock me, lots of people wouldn't be comfortable with that.
    I never once said my "lazy, crap-eating friends" look better than me. I said that they weigh more than me but have lower body fat percentages than me. "Superior" is a carefully selected word you've chosen to make me look bad. I said I eat far too many carbs and have only just started very light strength training, I've said that a million times.

If you think there are genetic factors determining personality traits, sexuality, shoe size, hair colour, creativity and all of the other billions of things that aren't ALL nurture but are, at least in part, influenced by nature, then you're a fool. For probably the 80th time, I'm lazy and I eat like *kitten*, and if I work hard enough, I'll get a decent BF%, that doesn't change the fact that for my height, weight, and lifestyle - poor as it is - my body fat percentage is unusually high.

You are contradicting yourself. First you were whining that you eat better and work harder than these "friends" who binge drink and sit around eating garbage, but you still have a higher bf % (keeping in mind you don't even know WHAT what your bf% actually is, and I'm guessing you have even less of a clue as to what these frenemies' bf% happens to be). Now you are saying that you are lazy and eat like *kitten* yourself. Well, which is it? Are you trying harder than these supposedly lean friends and not getting results because of some medical or genetic condition, or are you lazy and eating like *kitten* and are flabby as a direct result of that?

Do genetics play a role? Certainly. As does age, gender, insulin sensitivity, etc. But if you know that your lifestyle leaves much to be desired, and you know you have control over your lifestyle (unlike those other factors that you have no control over), why are you convinced that it will be harder for you than for most other people? Maybe these "friends" actually eat better than you and engage in some physical activity. Are you with them 24/7? Maybe they actually have better habits than you do and that explains the discrepancy. And maybe there is NO discrepancy. Having a skewed body image usually only applies to your own body - you see other people realistically, but are overly critical of yourself. To a certain extent, that impacts us all, but it seems a little over the top in this case...
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    @TheOwlhouseDesigns "insanely high" is a subjective term. I should rephrase, my body fat percentage is very high for my BMI

You don't know that. You don't know what your bf% actually is.
  • katiem555
    Options
    @Pu_239 Yeah, I've said that millions of times throughout this thread. Weight and body fat are definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, mostly determined by lifestyle. Doesn't change the fact that genes come into play too, sorry

Also, weight is determined by deficits and surpluses, yes, because matter (weight) can't arise from thin air, there has to be calories involved. but body fat is more complicated. body fat concerns matter that's already there, it's just about what your body decides to do with said matter. that can be influenced (HEAVILY) by diet and exercise. it can also be (to a lesser degree) determined by your genes. the same is certainly not strictly true of weight, which is a different beast entirely
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Her problem is that she is thin but soft and rather than focusing on what she has admitted are the two biggest factors causing that (diet and exercise) she wants to lean on the crutch of Bad Genes.
  • katiem555
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    @tlflag1620 Yeah, I should get a measurement and yes, I should post a picture but I just wouldn't be comfortable with that and I don't think that's grounds to mock me, lots of people wouldn't be comfortable with that.
    I never once said my "lazy, crap-eating friends" look better than me. I said that they weigh more than me but have lower body fat percentages than me. "Superior" is a carefully selected word you've chosen to make me look bad. I said I eat far too many carbs and have only just started very light strength training, I've said that a million times.

If you think there are genetic factors determining personality traits, sexuality, shoe size, hair colour, creativity and all of the other billions of things that aren't ALL nurture but are, at least in part, influenced by nature, then you're a fool. For probably the 80th time, I'm lazy and I eat like *kitten*, and if I work hard enough, I'll get a decent BF%, that doesn't change the fact that for my height, weight, and lifestyle - poor as it is - my body fat percentage is unusually high.

You are contradicting yourself. First you were whining that you eat better and work harder than these "friends" who binge drink and sit around eating garbage, but you still have a higher bf % (keeping in mind you don't even know WHAT what your bf% actually is, and I'm guessing you have even less of a clue as to what these frenemies' bf% happens to be). Now you are saying that you are lazy and eat like *kitten* yourself. Well, which is it? Are you trying harder than these supposedly lean friends and not getting results because of some medical or genetic condition, or are you lazy and eating like *kitten* and are flabby as a direct result of that?

Do genetics play a role? Certainly. As does age, gender, insulin sensitivity, etc. But if you know that your lifestyle leaves much to be desired, and you know you have control over your lifestyle (unlike those other factors that you have no control over), why are you convinced that it will be harder for you than for most other people? Maybe these "friends" actually eat better than you and engage in some physical activity. Are you with them 24/7? Maybe they actually have better habits than you do and that explains the discrepancy. And maybe there is NO discrepancy. Having a skewed body image usually only applies to your own body - you see other people realistically, but are overly critical of yourself. To a certain extent, that impacts us all, but it seems a little over the top in this case...

@tlflag1620 Yeah, I've said before it's a guesstimate - I'm not saying my claim has any credibility, I suppose I'm just saying that I have no reason to lie. I'm thin and I don't have a great diet or exercise, I don't expect to be lean, that's a given with my lifestyle. I do expect to look like other people who eat like *kitten* and don't exercise, especially since I'm thin, but I don't.
    It's neither. I have a high BF% because I make no effort, obviously. My friends have a high BF% because they make no effort, obviously. Mine is higher than theirs, though, and my diet isn't nearly as poor as theirs. I'm saying that my BF% is high because of my lifestyle, and is exacerbated by my genes. I'm saying that I'd have to work harder than most people probably would have to just to look """normal""".
    Now you're speculating as much as you're accusing me of doing it. Like most 20 year olds I know, they order takeaways a couple times a week and binge drink upwards of 3 times a week. I doubt they're secretly exercising and eating tins of tuna. I don't mention them because I envy them, I mentioned them as anecdotal evidence.

There are two things I've been arguing about since I started this thread;
    1) Thin people can have high BF%s, especially if they eat like *kitten* and are sedentary
    2) BF%, while largely determined by lifestyle, is also influenced by genes
  • katiem555
    Options
    @jemhh If I've literally admitted that the two biggest factors aren't my genes, and I'm doing strength training and eating better, then how am I "leaning on the crutch of bad genes" by stating that genetics influence BF%?

I'm not Christopher Hitchens, but you are really bad at arguing haha
  • classicalbk
    classicalbk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you visit a gym, the trainers have a gizmo that helps measure fat/muscle ratio. If you ask nicely and they aren't crazy busy, they can do that for you. I have a niece who was but no longer is "skinny fat;" Now she lifts Olympic weights and is a serious figure competitor, and is rock hard. So I guess "skinny-fat" really can be a "thing" but I'm sure you understand why many are concerned...
  • katiem555
    Options
    @Pu_239 I can't work up a deficit, I'm underweight and I don't want to risk my health. I'm planning on maintaining and introducing lots of strength training and protein, and if that doesn't work then doing the same but on a surplus :)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    OP, what you eat doesn't determine your BF% as long as you eat enough protein. Define "eat like ***."
  • katiem555
    Options
    If you visit a gym, the trainers have a gizmo that helps measure fat/muscle ratio. If you ask nicely and they aren't crazy busy, they can do that for you. I have a niece who was but no longer is "skinny fat;" Now she lifts Olympic weights and is a serious figure competitor, and is rock hard. So I guess "skinny-fat" really can be a "thing" but I'm sure you understand why many are concerned...

I'll probably have to pluck up the courage and do that. Thanks for that though, gives me a bit of hope...
    Their concern is unnecessary, though, my weight is natural and the only toying I'll be doing with my calories is adjusting my macros and maybe running at a surplus
  • katiem555
    Options
    OP, what you eat doesn't determine your BF% as long as you eat enough protein. Define "eat like ***."

Simple carbs/ starchy *kitten*/ sugary *kitten* will increase your BF%. You're wrong. There's a reason body builders drastically reduce their carbohydrate intake when they're cutting.
  • katiem555
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    @Pu_239 I can't work up a deficit, I'm underweight and I don't want to risk my health. I'm planning on maintaining and introducing lots of strength training and protein, and if that doesn't work then doing the same but on a surplus :)

I don't think going by "body weight" is the best idea to determine health, go by body fat%.

Both are important. Running a caloric deficit at a BMI of 18.3 isn't smart.
  • katiem555
    Options
    not like one study is worth much, but this seems to have taken quite a few variables into account (PBF is distinct from BMI, and the subjects are twins) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10390261
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OP, nothing that you or anyone else is arguing about in this thread makes a damn bit of difference. It doesn't matter what the actual numbers are or what genetic factors are or are not at play.

Just go do a progressive lifting/strength program, eat at maintenance or more, and you will get the results you want.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Simple carbs/ starchy *kitten*/ sugary *kitten* will increase your BF%. You're wrong. There's a reason body builders drastically reduce their carbohydrate intake when they're cutting.

It won't if you're not eating at a surplus.
  • katiem555
    Options
    BMI is one of the best measures we have of health with regards to one's weight. it's obviously not applicable to everyone and it's certainly not ideal, but it's hardly insignificant. underweight is underweight, and while I don't consider myself unhealthy, and agree with you insofar as that BMI should not be a sole indicator of one's health, i'd say it's worth taking into consideration. Also, while it's not all that accurate for bodybuilders and the like, it tends to be pretty accurate for children and people of a healthy to lower weight. people on the higher end of the scale (such as michael jordan) should definitely rely on it less, though
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that at 5'5 110lbs you have a high body fat percentage, much less "insanely high".

@I_Will_End_You Why? If I don't have much muscle then it follows that I must have a disproportionate amount of fat. My body has to be made of up something, and it isn't muscle.

Bones, tissue, water, there are an abundant amount of things your body is made up of. Did I miss is where you said what this "insanely high" body fat percentage is?

Is there really any need to be so arsey? You really don't need to talk to her like an idiot, she's just trying to ask a question.
    I'm fairly certain she's not mistaking any of her fat/muscle for fat or water.

And I'm pretty sure 'tissue' is made up of fat and muscle

well to be honest 5.5" and 110 pounds ( which is underweight and no, i am not attack the OP she says after all she tries to eat as much as she can) but yeah it rings some bells
    Specially when she says insanely much BF%

When underweight i ask myself were that fat is.

"When underweight I ask myself were that fat is"
    That literally makes no sense, I think you need to have a little read up on body composition and come back when you can give an informed, helpful response.
    You mean like you have?
  • katiem555
    Options
    OP, nothing that you or anyone else is arguing about in this thread makes a damn bit of difference. It doesn't matter what the actual numbers are or what genetic factors are or are not at play.

Just go do a progressive lifting/strength program, eat at maintenance or more, and you will get the results you want.

I know, I said from the start this wasn't about me asking how to lower my BF%. And I have started strength training and eating better, it's rough cause I'm really weak atm haha. I just started it to find other people who are thin but have high BF% so i could find some people to work alongside if that makes sense
  • katiem555
    Options

It won't if you're not eating at a surplus.

yeah, it will. if you're not eating the right amount of protein to sustain your muscle mass then you'll lose it. and if you're only eating within your maintenance and you're eating too many carbs, then you can't possibly get enough protein. that, and many other factors. isn't this like a universally accepted given? an excess of carbs is like exactly what you need to avoid to get lean