Are there any other thin girls who have an insanely high BF%?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Could the OP post a picture?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Post a picture? It sounds to me like you have some self image issues, I can't imagine how you would have any fat being 110 pounds at 5'5".

I suggest getting help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    You are undermuscled for sure but whether or not you are overfat is yet to be determined since you don't know your body fat percentage.

A lot of young women seem to think that they are overly fat and when they post a picture of their pooched out stomach it's more a matter of having very little muscle than a lot of fat.
  • katiem555
    katiem555 Posts: 84 Member
    I know what you're saying. My BMI is more towards the lower end of the healthy range for my height and I am ridiculously flabby around my middle section. I have a buddha belly haha.. It's a nightmare to shift and I think I'm having to work harder than I think others would. I've seen people the same height as me who are 10lbs+ heavier and they look much slimmer. Some of it is down to genetics though as every woman in my family is prone to carrying weight in their belly area with skinny arms and legs!

@noaddedsugarx Thank you! I'm exactly the same. My mother has the same kind of body as me, too. You've made me feel a bit better. It does feel unfair but I suppose the extra work will at least benefit our health. Still rather eat my weight in carbs and have a flat stomach though... We'll get there!
  • more_productive
    more_productive Posts: 6 Member
    katiem555 wrote: »
    I highly doubt that at 5'5 110lbs you have a high body fat percentage, much less "insanely high".

@I_Will_End_You Why? If I don't have much muscle then it follows that I must have a disproportionate amount of fat. My body has to be made of up something, and it isn't muscle.

Bones, tissue, water, there are an abundant amount of things your body is made up of. Did I miss is where you said what this "insanely high" body fat percentage is?

Is there really any need to be so arsey? You really don't need to talk to her like an idiot, she's just trying to ask a question.
    I'm fairly certain she's not mistaking any of her fat/muscle for fat or water.

And I'm pretty sure 'tissue' is made up of fat and muscle

well to be honest 5.5" and 110 pounds ( which is underweight and no, i am not attack the OP she says after all she tries to eat as much as she can) but yeah it rings some bells
    Specially when she says insanely much BF%

When underweight i ask myself were that fat is.

"When underweight I ask myself were that fat is"
    That literally makes no sense, I think you need to have a little read up on body composition and come back when you can give an informed, helpful response.
  • katiem555
    I don't think I have image issues... I'm pretty comfortable with my body and the way it looks. I'd like to be leaner and it's something I'm working towards, but I'm not trying to say that I'm fat, that I feel fat, or that I look fat. I'm just saying that I have very little muscle and as such, a high proportion of fat - relative to my weight. This really isn't unheard of or grounds to suggest I have a image issues (though I appreciate the concern), it's what happens to elderly people. Is it really that unbelievable that I could just be genetically prone to storing a lot more fat than I do muscle?

Even if it weren't, I could be 80 pounds and I'd have an insanely high Bf% if I did no exercise, ate next to no protein, and stuffed myself with carbs nightly. My weight really isn't that big a factor here
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    I don't think I have image issues... I'm pretty comfortable with my body and the way it looks. I'd like to be leaner and it's something I'm working towards, but I'm not trying to say that I'm fat, that I feel fat, or that I look fat. I'm just saying that I have very little muscle and as such, a high proportion of fat - relative to my weight. This really isn't unheard of or grounds to suggest I have a image issues (though I appreciate the concern), it's what happens to elderly people. Is it really that unbelievable that I could just be genetically prone to storing a lot more fat than I do muscle?

Even if it weren't, I could be 80 pounds and I'd have an insanely high Bf% if I did no exercise, ate next to no protein, and stuffed myself with carbs nightly. My weight really isn't that big a factor here

We all want to be special but it doesn't mean we are. The odds of you being genetically more prone to to storing more fat than muscle is low. The odds of you having little muscle because you've done nothing to build and maintain muscle are high.
  • katiem555
    I understand that a picture would be useful, but I'm not really comfortable with posting pictures of myself to the internet. Thanks for trying to help though :-)
  • katiem555
    @jemhh I don't think suggesting that I'm naturally flabby constitutes being a special snowflake

How do you know the odds of that particular genetic predisposition? Or are you just speculating? That's like saying "the odds of you being genetically prone to storing more fat on your stomach than on your thighs is low" - is it? Or is it just one of the many million things determined by one's genes?
    You are right though, as I've already said (twice) diet and exercise would most definintely help. I recognise that. I still maintain that most of my friends are a good deal heavier than me with much poorer diets, and are leaner.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    You could leave your face out of the photo...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I highly doubt that at 5'5 110lbs you have a high body fat percentage, much less "insanely high".

@I_Will_End_You Why? If I don't have much muscle then it follows that I must have a disproportionate amount of fat. My body has to be made of up something, and it isn't muscle.

You may have more body fat/less muscle mass than the friends you talk about, but I suspect "insanely high" body fat is an exaggeration. You may carry most of your fat in your abdominal area (apple shaped). If you're unhappy with your body composition, I'd suggest eating at maintenance and looking into a full body weight lifting program. Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, Ice Cream Fitness 5x5......to name a few that are popular on the forum.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    If this is legit and there are no distorted body image issues involved, I'd suggest a recomp: eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Make sure you have enough protein in your diet. Try something like SL 5x5 or Starting Strength or NROL. Another, faster method would be to eat at a slight (10%?) surplus while lifting.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member

Not really, because even if you don't exercise, you bones, hair, organs, blood, and skeletal muscle will all weigh something. Unless you are bedridden, just moving results in some muscle. I am not at all doubting you have a higher than ideal body fat percent, but it is probably not as insanely high as you think. You can estimate it through both pictures and measurements. It only takes a couple minutes, and is a good enough ballpark that you know what you are working with. Check out this link:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

Your best bet is to eat at maintenance and lift heavy weights to build muscle :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    @TavistockToad No, I'm not literally all fat, I was using literally figuratively for effect. I suppose there isn't much stock in my claims without a measurement, but I don't have one because I don't know how to use calipers and I'm far too self conscious to get measured at a gym. I suppose you'll have to take my word, I'm just going on what I look like really.

I've had week trials at women-only gyms like Get in Shape for Women and they measured my body fat. It was a pretty simple process.

• katiem555
    @I_Will_End_You It is an exaggeration at face value, but I'd venture to say that my body fat is pretty insanely high, obviously relative to my weight. I do carry most of my fat in my abdominal area, but my thighs and arms aren't much better. Thanks for that though, I'm definitely starting strength training, and as far as I know I'm eating at maintenance (only roughly counting calories, just to get an idea of my macros). I'm starting with body weight circuits though, I couldn't hold a plank for 60 seconds the other day without my arms giving in. Any recommendations of useful websites for beginners?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    At your age, height and weight, I had very low lean mass, but I was still really tiny, because ... 5'5 and 110 pounds IS tiny.

Are you sure you're actually seeing yourself the way you really look?

This. I sense some body dysmorphia happening here.

I'm older, 5 ft 5, weigh 139 pounds, and not even my body fat is insanely high. It's just......

Average.

And, I've been weight lifting and running for years, heavy weight lifting these last couple of years.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I recall someone else pretty small posting the same type of thread a few weeks ago--very low weight with perceptions of something like 40 percent body fat.
  • katiem555
    edited May 2015
    For the sake of argument, I'll take back my comment about it being insanely high. Instead I'll say that for my BMI, it is very high, and probably not healthy. I have no muscle, and lots of fat. I'm not saying that I am fat. I'm not saying that I look fat. I'm not saying that I feel fat. I'm not commenting on my feelings towards my body.

I'm saying that for a 20 year old woman who is five foot and five inches tall, who weighs one hundred and ten pounds, my body fat percentage is unusually high. Again, for the millionth time, relative to my weight.

The flood of comments concerning my alleged body image issues would not exist if I said I was 130 pounds. You're all assuming I've got BDD because I'm slightly underweight. I understand you're only speaking out of concern (and, in some cases, frustration), but it's getting condescending.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Are you speaking figuratively again? Because it's not possible to have no muscle.
  • katiem555
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I recall someone else pretty small posting the same type of thread a few weeks ago--very low weight with perceptions of something like 40 percent body fat.

My weight isn't "very" low, I'm only 20 and it's not unusual for young women to be slightly underweight. I always have been. I do not think my body fat is 40%. If you were asking me to guess, I'd say 25%, which as far as I'm concerned, for a lass with my BMI, is definitely far too high.