Are there any other thin girls who have an insanely high BF%?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    edited May 2015
    0.7g per lb of body weight to 1g per lb of body weight equals between 77g and 110g of protein per day for a total of less than 440 Calories.

0.4g of fat per lb of body weight means 44g of fat, or 396 Calories.

The two together add up to 836 Calories a day.

Even assuming 20% metabolic adaptation, sedentary lifestyle, no exercise, and 1g of protein per lb of body weight (as opposed to lb of lean body mass), I still did not manage to raise your protein requirement above 36%, and that was on a measly 1200Cal budget.

Assuming no kidney issues, how exactly is this protein goal difficult to meet in the context of a TDEE level caloric budget?

OP: are you sure that hanging around weight loss boards is the best thing for you?
  • katiem555
    katiem555 Posts: 84 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    Wow, this thread has gone off the rails, hasn't it?

You're not alone, OP. I'm similar to you. Even when I was your age or younger and was at a very healthy weight according to BMI charts, I never had that toned body that I coveted. I was always kind of soft and jiggly and flabby.

I'm more comfortable with it at 35 than I was at 20. Maybe 'cause nobody really expects me to look like a 20-year-old anymore? I don't mind being soft, round and curvy as long as I'm also healthy and able to do the things I want to do.

One consideration: Do you by any chance have very pale skin, OP? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make any assumptions about your ethnic background or anything. It's just that I'm a pale freckled redhead (seriously, I'm so white I literally glow in the dark), and I've found that I always look bigger than my more tanned friends even for similar body types. Trick of the eye, perhaps -- lighter colours tend to look bigger. Spray or bottle tan might be your best friend on beach days.

ah thanks for commenting, every time someone tells me they are (or were) in a similar situation i feel a bit less of a freak (and a lot more sane). thankfully i don't spend too much time thinking about it, but it couldn't do much harm for me to try and build some muscle mass and see if that helps. you're right though, health and capability are far more important. i don't have pale skin, but lucky you, pale redheads are beautiful :-)
  • katiem555
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    katiem555 wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Have you ever had a bone density test? Might want to look into that.

no i haven't, i'm not sure what one is actually. i think i have a pretty small frame / bone structure, if that has anything to do with it, i have very small wrists and ankles

It looks for low bone density (sign of impending osteoporosis). Low body weight, despite being "flabby" may not necessarily mean you lack muscle - it could be that you suffer from low bone density. You are female, you binge drink, and you don't get adequate protein (and possibly calcium - you said you eat "like *kitten*", but have left that unsdefined). All of that could mean your bones are lighter (less dense) than they ought to be for your age. Go to your GP. Ask for a bone density test. Also ask about a bf% estimate. Knowledge is power. Right now you are speculating. If you genuinely think that you are that much worse off than your peers with similar habits, it's worth trying to ferret out what's going on.

yeah that might be worth looking into, i've got an appointment in a fortnight actually so it couldn't hurt to mention it. i don't know if they do BF estimates for free though, but again, couldn't hurt to ask. i do drink a fair bit of milk, but it's semi-skimmed and probably not enough to offset my other dietary shortcomings
  • katiem555
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    0.7g per lb of body weight to 1g per lb of body weight equals between 77g and 110g of protein per day for a total of less than 440 Calories.

Even assuming 20% metabolic adaptation, sedentary lifestyle, no exercise, and 1g of protein per lb of body weight (as opposed to lb of lean body mass), I still did not manage to raise your protein requirement above 36%, and that was on a measly 1200Cal budget.

Assuming no kidney issues, how exactly is this protein goal difficult to meet in the context of a TDEE level caloric budget?

OP: are you sure that hanging around weight loss boards is the best thing for you?

sorry, are you addressing me or someone else on the thread? confused. if you are, then i don't know whether i meet my protein requirements, i don't think i've commented on my protein consumption here? aside to say that for someone who wants to build muscle, i could probably use more. also i eat a lot more than 1200 haha

and why wouldn't they be? regardless, i'm not looking to lose weight and i've never said i am. i'm maintaining/ gaining, whichever proves necessary (ultimately, trying to lower my BF%)
  • PAV8888
    yeah that might be worth looking into
    At my last DXA scan my above average density bones massed 6.1lbs
    This is for a 172.5cm (5ft 7.8") male.

• PAV8888
    To the OP: yes, you did. You commented that it is too hard to eat enough protein within your low maintenance caloric limits.

To MrM27: Yes, your point being? The OP is the one claiming she has trouble meeting protein requirements to gain muscle, not me.

I am pointing out to her that even if you take an unreasonably high amount of protein, and couple it to a less than reasonable caloric goal, she still won't have trouble meeting it.

Which, to me, means that she has a less than reasonable caloric goal in mind; but, hey, if I said that I wouldn't be supportive now, would I.
  • PAV8888
    N
    and why wouldn't they be? regardless, i'm not looking to lose weight and i've never said i am. i'm maintaining/ gaining, whichever proves necessary (ultimately, trying to lower my BF%)
    Then why are you hanging around the weight loss section as opposed to posting in the maintenance or exercise sections?
  • katiem555
    To the OP: yes, you did. You commented that it is too hard to eat enough protein within your low maintenance caloric limits.

To MrM27: Yes, your point being? The OP is the one claiming she has trouble meeting protein requirements to gain muscle, not me.

I am pointing out to her that even if you take an unreasonably high amount of protein, and couple it to a less than reasonable caloric goal, she still won't have trouble meeting it.

Which, to me, means that she has a less than reasonable caloric goal in mind; but, hey, if I said that I wouldn't be supportive now, would I.

can you show me where i said that? i have not said that. i don't have any calorie limits, low or otherwise. i'm underweight and looking to maintain or gain.
  • katiem555
    and i don't know why you told me about your bone density. i think you're misreading something here
  • katiem555
    this board is called "General Diet and Weight Loss Help". GENERAL DIET AND weight loss help, not just weight loss help. my question was a general one, and it wasn't about exercise or maintaining my weight. it was asking if there are any other thin girls who have a high body fat percentage relative to their weight. i can't say i vetted every board to check which was most appropriate to post this thread, but i don't think i've put it in the wrong place, either. in any case, would it really bother you that much if i had?

and can you please show me where i said that thing i supposedly said about it being "too hard to eat enough protein within your low maintenance caloric limits"

i appreciate that you're only trying to help, but i think you've misread a couple of things and gotten confused
  • katiem555
    MrM27 wrote: »

sorry, are you addressing me or someone else on the thread? confused. if you are, then i don't know whether i meet my protein requirements, i don't think i've commented on my protein consumption here? aside to say that for someone who wants to build muscle, i could probably use more. also i eat a lot more than 1200 haha

Protein requirements are lower on a bulk than it is on a cut.

i wouldn't know about that and i'm too tired to look into it so i'll take your word. i don't understand what that has to do with me, though, as i'm neither bulking or cutting
  • katiem555
    edited May 2015
    "Constant and have minimums is really self explanatory. You are assuming those people are neglecting protein. Pretty much every argument you are making is with people having a poor protein intake. That's a huge assumption."

@MrM27 perhaps they're self explanatory terms to someone who's slept, but i haven't (for a long time), and i'm asking you to elaborate so that i can better understand what you're saying, because in doing so i'm much more likely to absorb what you're saying to me. if i can't absorb the information you're throwing at me, then what's the point in saying it at all? surely it's just to inform?
    if you find that you physically cannot muster the words to elaborate, then fair enough, leave that stone unturned...

i've made a lot of arguments, i don't know which you're referring to because our discussion isn't strictly chronological, at the beginning you went back pages and picked up on what i'd said hours ago so forgive me for being perplexed, especially when the other poster in this thread is making no sense in his posts to either of us. who are the people you're referring to that i'm assuming have a poor protein intake?
  • PAV8888
    I believe I made my point to the OP. I'm not even sure why you responded to me since I never even mentioned or quoted you.

When you responded to the OP you quoted what she said.

The expanded quote includes my post to which she had responded to, hence I thought you were in part responding to me; though I now understand that you weren't!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    OP, I am an inch taller than you. At some point in my life I had to be literally immobile for several months, because of a health problem. At this point, I was around 110-115 lbs. There was no muscle, because whatever muscle I had just turned to jello. Staying in your bed for months and moving with assistance around the room does that to the body. Even then, I did not have a high body fat, I just had little muscle. Because it is impossible to have a very low BMI and high fat or to even look fat. You might have no muscle, you might look fragile, out of shape, and all these need exercise, and probably to put on some weight to correct. But if you are seeing yourself as high fat, it is time to talk to a therapist.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Protein requirements are lower on a bulk than it is on a cut.

i wouldn't know about that and i'm too tired to look into it so i'll take your word. i don't understand what that has to do with me, though, as i'm neither bulking or cutting

I've skimmed this thread so I think I have the general picture

You just want to find other people who think they have a high body fat % at a low weight

You aren't calorie counting, bulking or cutting and have no intention of changing your macro intakes (protein, fats) you don't consider you eat a nutritionally balanced diet

You don't want to research anything you just want an online compadre who shares your views

You started lifting weights a week ago

I can't help feeling you have a goal or aspiration I am missing

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2015

• PAV8888
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Someone could be 60lbs and still have an abnormally high bfp if they were 40% fat

Wait, what?

I must be missing something, because that's not biologically possible unless they're about 3 foot tall.

lol yeps

but according to the person who wrote this I have to read a bit more about this
    Let alone the fact that the OP is with her 5.5 and 110lbs underweight.
    But who am i? I dont know nothing lol

• CheriLeeKramer
    CheriLeeKramer Posts: 2 Member
    I was small and "soft" like you at age 20. I did some hard core "Arnold style" workouts and biked for cardio and got extremely lean but, I was very dedicated and it took about 9 months to really have that wow factor. Now I'm 42 and I have to work much harder but, it's worth it. Plus if I take time off of my workouts my body remembers pretty quick so it does not take me nearly as long to notice changes in my appearance. Start now, work hard, and it will be easier for you when your older to maintain or regain it!!! BTW I was 103 @ 5'3.5 at age 20. I'm 108 now but much stronger. I can bench my body weight easy. Hope this inspires you.