Cabbage soup diet

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Just got in some bad eating habits and wanted to get bowels cleansed and get refine sugar out of my system so I could get back on track.

Going to try to make it very easy for you

IT DOESNT DO ANY OF THAT. IT IS A CRAZY UNSUSTAINABLE VERY LOW CAL DIET. BAD BAD IDEA
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I make the soup now and again. I ignore the diet part.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Makes sense. I've never tried the soup, but if people like it and want to eat it as PART of their diet, that's fine. I remember Weight Watchers had a "zero point" veggie soup that was pretty good. But they don't advocate eating nothing but the soup.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    is anyone doing this I started yesterday.

Hw long are you planning on doing it for?

Just for one week doing it for cleansing more than anythin(

What exactly are you trying to cleanse?
    Sugar out of my system and a good bowel cleansing

UM...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    YAY! Another sugar-is-the-debbil thread! o:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    YAY! Another sugar-is-the-debbil thread! o:)

Well it has been at least 10 minutes since the last one...

OP, what happens after soup week?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Makes sense. I've never tried the soup, but if people like it and want to eat it as PART of their diet, that's fine. I remember Weight Watchers had a "zero point" veggie soup that was pretty good. But they don't advocate eating nothing but the soup.

Yes. I have the recipe. It is called "Unlimited Soup" and is basically tomato juice, beef stock and non-starchy veggies like mushrooms, bean sprouts, and celery. You could add cabbage, diced tomatoes, etc. without bumping the calories too much. It actually is nice to have something you can eat a big bowl of with very little calorie expenditure if you feel like pigging out. You also cannot eat hot soup too fast either so the cravings can subside before you do too much damage.

RE: "Sugar out of my system and a good bowel cleansing". If you feel you need to eat less sugar, eat less sugar. You don't need to "cleanse it" because it is already converted to glycogen within a short time of eating it so there is already no longer sugar in your system. As for the bowels, go with my 3 "F" cleanse: eat more fat and fiber and drink more fluids and let the bowels do their job. Granted, cabbage soup will help with the fiber and fluids but eating that exclusively will not because you are not getting the fat you need.

• PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cabbage, but I prefer mine fried with bacon lardons and garlic.

Me too!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    is anyone doing this I started yesterday.

Hw long are you planning on doing it for?

Just for one week doing it for cleansing more than anythin(

What exactly are you trying to cleanse?
    Sugar out of my system and a good bowel cleansing

Victoria,

But, you system needs sugar to survive. Even diabetics need sugar in their system, they just can't eat as much sugar/carbs as those without diabetes. So, there is no reason to clean sugar out of your system.

A good bowel cleansing comes from eating enough fiber in general.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Will I eat at a calorie DEFICIT forever? No. Will I generally eat at or below maintenance because I've learned that VLCDs as well as high Calorie are unhealthy? Yes.

And I didn't need to live off my great grandmothers cabbage soup for 5 meals a day.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Are YOU going to eat at a deficit for the rest of your life?

I hope not, because that would mean that I haven't gotten to my goal.

The plan is to eat at a deficit until I get to my ideal weight, and then eat at maintenance. By that time I will have learned good eating habits, and will be aware of what foods have the most bang for their caloric buck, what foods keep me satisfied, etc.

What does one learn after eating nothing but cabbage soup for days/weeks on end?

• booksandchocolate12
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

The plan is to eat at a deficit until I get to my ideal weight, and then eat at maintenance. By that time I will have learned good eating habits, and will be aware of what foods have the most bang for their caloric buck, what foods keep me satisfied, etc.

What does one learn after eating nothing but cabbage soup for days/weeks on end?

Or it means you're going to die.

As will we all.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

Or it means you're going to die.

As will we all.

I will live forever.
  • turtlesoup1957
    turtlesoup1957 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have had a positive beginning with cabbage soup diet. For me helped me get into a better mind frame since I'm a major carbs person. It help me because you actually eat a lot so don't feel hungry and see loss even if it's mostly water weight it helped get me into a better mind set that after a week just went to eating balance meals more often just less carbs and fewer calories.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Have had a positive beginning with cabbage soup diet. For me helped me get into a better mind frame since I'm a major carbs person. It help me because you actually eat a lot so don't feel hungry and see loss even if it's mostly water weight it helped get me into a better mind set that after a week just went to eating balance meals more often just less carbs and fewer calories.

You know what helped me cut down on my carbs? Making sure I meet my protein macro. You will naturally eat fewer carbs.

But carbs are not bad for you. I am a runner and I make sure I get adequate carbs as well.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Brings back childhood memories. In our house, we had this giant white pot and mom would put a couple of quarts of sauerkraut, the bone and leftovers from a ham, and any old vegetables in the refrigerator and cook it up. Fed a family of four for a week on about a buck. They used to call it "kapusta soup". Only available when we had a ham bone - which was usually after Christmas or Easter.

It was a highly sustainable dietary pattern, since if we refused to eat it, my dad would beat us.

LMAO! In our house, it was my mom and a huge wooden spoon. Good times!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Yup, I did the cabbage soup diet in the 80s when I needed to lose 10 pounds to get into the military. The recruiter gave me that one plus one that revolved around bananas. Set me up for a lifetime of yoyoing. Ironically, the weight standard was changed while I was in the military and I would not have had to lose that first 10 pounds after all if had been changed a few years earlier.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Ok, I must admit I have always wondered this....

What if, someone goes on a VLCD for a couple of weeks and loses 5 or 10 lbs (water, fat whatever). After that 2 weeks is up they swap over to the same deficit, but with real food. If they meticulously count their calories, like most of us do, who's to say they'll put the weight the weight back on?

Or what if they stay on the diet for 6mths and lost all their weight, then swapped over to maintenance calories, again meticulously counting their calories.

People have said "but you haven't learnt how to eat properly, or how to eat real food" etc etc
    Seriously? Aren't the people on the site grown adults who if using some common sense know precisely what they should or should not eat??