Perspective - Not all calories created equal

Options
terra819
terra819 Posts: 27 Member
I made myself some giant veggie/chicken spring rolls for lunch today and it just amazed me the comparison of calories between them and some donuts my husband brought home this weekend. What are some calorie comparisons that you have discovered since using mfp that are pretty amazing?

May%2026%202015%20103305%20AM%20EDT_zpsolffpcj5.png

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Yeh, but the donut tastes way better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. Just like a inch is an inch and a centimeter is a centimeter. What material you're MEASURING may be different though.
    Lots of foods offer more VOLUME and NUTRIENTS per calorie than others, but if you're going to compared 300 calories of a wrap and 300 calories of a donut, it's still 300 calories to the body in terms of energy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I love donuts but I'd totally have those spring rolls for breakfast right now. What's wrong with me?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I’d eat one of the spring rolls and half the donut. Boom, still at 300 calories, high yum factor.

Edited to actually answer question: I actually eat donuts all the time, just because they’re tasty and they can easily fit in my macros. To answer your question, I don’t think I found any food comparison that really strikes me, except maybe how much food I can eat instead of drinking liquid calories :smile:
  • terra819
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I’d eat one of the spring rolls and half the donut. Boom, still at 300 calories, high yum factor.

Lol, good plan
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yeah seriously, your spring rolls look really tasty! :smile:
  • terra819
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    The spring rolls look huge to me. Or is the donut tiny? I dunno. I'll just have one of the bananas from the background.

the spring rolls are huge. It took a lot to squeeze the veggies into a single rice wrapper.
  • terra819
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Yeah seriously, your spring rolls look really tasty! :smile:

Thanks! I was getting sick of salad.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I will always take small quantities of food I want to eat over huge portions of food I don't.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie. Just like a inch is an inch and a centimeter is a centimeter. What material you're MEASURING may be different though.
    Lots of foods offer more VOLUME and NUTRIENTS per calorie than others, but if you're going to compared 300 calories of a wrap and 300 calories of a donut, it's still 300 calories to the body in terms of energy.

This. And I'd just eat both :p
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    terra819 wrote: »
    The spring rolls look huge to me. Or is the donut tiny? I dunno. I'll just have one of the bananas from the background.

the spring rolls are huge. It took a lot to squeeze the veggies into a single rice wrapper.

Spring roll? It looks like the lovechild of a svelte spring roll who crossed over to the wrong side of the tracks to samba with a burrito of ill repute...

I would still totally eat it though ;)
  • terra819
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    terra819 wrote: »

Spring roll? It looks like the lovechild of a svelte spring roll who crossed over to the wrong side of the tracks to samba with a burrito of ill repute...

I would still totally eat it though ;)

lol, Couldn't make smaller ones due to the calorie count in the rice wrapper, was trying to increase my mileage :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd the donut comparison.

Annnnnnnnd the haterz are gonna hate.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bet you would feel full way longer eating the spring rolls, though.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What kind of mustard is that?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I tried to conduct electricity through 6 inches of yarn...it was HORRIBLE! But 6 inches of copper wiring was awesome.

Conclusion: Copper wiring is good, yarn is bad. Not all inches are created equal.