Perspective - Not all calories created equal

Options

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Man, those spring rolls look scrumptious!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I need volume to feel full, so I would opt for the spring rolls and only if I had the calories to spare later, the donut on the side, and I'd eat the donut first, then the spring rolls as ending any meal with something like that makes me feel hungry even if I'm really not.
  • terra819
    terra819 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Man, those spring rolls look scrumptious!
    Thanks! They were :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To repeat myself, since I'm honestly curious:
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't see what any of this has to do with a calorie is a calorie. If one is a volume eater (which I am, to a certain extent) some foods have more volume and fewer calories than others, of course, but no one argues about that...

To elaborate, if I'm hungry I'm apt to go for something that seems filling, and I design my meals to be filling (basically half veggies and a nice mix of fat and protein, as well as the fiber), but I don't see a need to go beyond that and to be always comparing foods and picking the one I can have the most volume of. If that were the case I'd perhaps never have pasta but just eat more of the meat/veggie based sauce or eat only lean fish and boneless skinless chicken breast rather than my salmon or chicken with bones and skin or steak.

IF I were struggling with hunger I'd look at my diet and see where perhaps I was going wrong, but if one isn't hungry why would you make such comparisons or not try to include a nice mix of foods? (I don't care about donuts, so donuts wouldn't be my personal pick.)

It's almost as if you think lower calories are always better, and that's definitely not the case. I could feel "full," at least for a while, on 1200 calories, I suspect, given the right food choices, and yet at my current level of activity I don't think that's healthy.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie. Just like a inch is an inch and a centimeter is a centimeter.

That may be so, on the plate, but the net caloric impact after consumption will be different.

The 300 calories from the spring roll won't be fully absorbed by the body while most of the calories from the doughnut will be.

Difference: fibre.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    mscheftg wrote: »
    I've found that I'm much more picky about how I spend them because I want to be happy with the choice that I made.

+1 on that. I'd rather have this giant 397 calorie salad with salmon on top (today's lunch) than the 500 calorie muffin another noted above or the 300 calorie doughnut. Or four doughnuts.
    IMG_20150526_123652.jpg
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie. Just like a inch is an inch and a centimeter is a centimeter.

That may be so, on the plate, but the net caloric impact after consumption will be different.

The 300 calories from the spring roll won't be fully absorbed by the body while most of the calories from the doughnut will be.

Difference: fibre.

Then why have I lost more weight eating pizza, donuts, beer and wine than I ever did when when I was eating, "clean,"?
  • mwyvr
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    *facepalm*

There are many studies showing your excrement on a high fibre diet contains more energy (calories) from excreted unabsorbed dietary sources.

To put it simply, if that's even necessary, if it's in your poop, it's as if you didn't consume it.

What part of this do you wish to dispute? Do you really think the human digestive system is 100% efficient regardless of foodstuffs shovelled in the front end? That transit time through the digestive system doesn't matter?

Come on.

*facepalm*
  • mwyvr
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Then why have I lost more weight eating pizza, donuts, beer and wine than I ever did when when I was eating, "clean,"?

Clearly you were eating fewer input calories and maintained a deficit even though the absorption rate would be higher over a high fibre diet containing the same input energy (calories).

It's pretty simple folks.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I can have a huge bowl of cucumbers and carrots for about 100 cals. I can have a piece of chocolate... which is less than the slice of one cucumber piece for the same amount.

Some days I choose the veggies.
    Some days I choose the chocolate.

Most days I do both.

When I have few calories left for the day, and a ravenous appetite - I go for the foods that satisfy my need for volume and satiety.

When I have lots of calories left, and a sweet tooth - I go for sweets, or treats.

The tool I pick from the toolbox, is directly related to the project I want to complete.

except for wd-40 and ducttape.
    If it's stuck, and it's supposed to move - use wd40
    if it's moving and is supposed to be stuck - use ducttape

I wonder what food that would correlate to... maybe cheese. there's always gotta be place for cheese.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If I had $500 to spend, I could buy a lot more pairs of running shoes than I could pairs of diamond earrings. That doesn't mean "not all dollars are created equal."
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Those spring rolls look delicious so realistically given a choice I would (at least right now) pick those...

But I think these comparisons can be tricky because for some people (myself included) the donut is the better option sometimes. Sure the spring rolls are healthier...but if I chose those every time I'd eventually start feeling like I'm depriving myself and then I'd eat that entire box of donuts...plus the bananas in the background. Moderation.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If that donut were from some place decent, I'd fit both foods into my day.

Seriously, that donut looks nasty
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    How can you be arguing over calories when the real travesty is that you had mustard with your spring rolls?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If I had $500 to spend, I could buy a lot more pairs of running shoes than I could pairs of diamond earrings. That doesn't mean "not all dollars are created equal."

Precisely.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    *facepalm*

There are many studies showing your excrement on a high fibre diet contains more energy (calories) from excreted unabsorbed dietary sources.

To put it simply, if that's even necessary, if it's in your poop, it's as if you didn't consume it.

What part of this do you wish to dispute? Do you really think the human digestive system is 100% efficient regardless of foodstuffs shovelled in the front end? That transit time through the digestive system doesn't matter?

Come on.

*facepalm*

I'd like to dispute the fact, after I looked up other such claims over other certain foods/drinks "boosting metabolism" or "taking more calories to digest than others" and so on, that the difference is for this is probably not even enough to justify eating another half of those giant spring roll burritos. I.E. your poop on such a diet may contain more energy, but even 10-20 calories average would be considered "more". See people talking about TEF and how sugar takes less energy to digest than meat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd the donut comparison.

She could have at least used a good looking donuts like these, that one was just sad:

donuts_thinkstock.jpg

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I tried to conduct electricity through 6 inches of yarn...it was HORRIBLE! But 6 inches of copper wiring was awesome.

Conclusion: Copper wiring is good, yarn is bad. Not all inches are created equal.

As a knitter, I take offense at this, good sir! Clearly you are an MFP mean person. I should flag you.