Empty calories list....

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    And this crap right here is the reason our children starve in schools. Have any of you seen what a lot of schools are passing for meals now?

I saw some instagram pictures of some garbage they were serving in schools..it looked disgusting....

*shrug*

I had lunch with my 3rd grader last week, and actually found it quite tasty. Hamburger, tater tots, fresh fruit, and some really good baked beans (not the crap out of the can).

Sooooo many empty calories!! :)
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    explain to me how a vegetable pizza would be an empty calorie?

By the definition, they are just comparing foods based on nutrient density (proportion of nutrients in a food relative to its energy content), and calorie density (amount of energy relative to weight of the food). They are not saying that a vegetable pizza is devoid of nutrients, but compared to other foods with the same calorie content and weight, the nutrient profile is much lower. Meaning that one probably has to eat more calories to fulfill one's daily micro-nutrient needs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    They have a definition of empty calories as "empty calories applies to food such as solid fats and/or added sugars supplying food energy but little or no other nutrition. An empty calorie has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. Although carbohydrates and fats are nutrients, they are typically ignored for this analysis, with the exception of essential fatty acids." (Wikipedia)
    Added sugar, and solid fats only adds calories, but no micro-nutrients. Hence, it is a calorie devoid of any other function than supplying energy. Adding calories, with

From that definition they have derived that "The foods and beverages that provide the most empty calories for Americans are: pizza, ice cream, soda... etc."
    They haven't demonized these foods, they are just stating facts derived from a definition of empty calories.

This is basically the point I was going to make.

It's kind of a silly analysis, though. They are basically just saying that saturated fat (in that they are focusing on solid fats) and sugar are "empty calories" so foods which contain them have lots of empty calories (and probably some non-empty calories too).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    explain to me how a vegetable pizza would be an empty calorie?

By the definition, they are just comparing foods based on nutrient density (proportion of nutrients in a food relative to its energy content), and calorie density (amount of energy relative to weight of the food). They are not saying that a vegetable pizza is devoid of nutrients, but compared to other foods with the same calorie content and weight, the nutrient profile is much lower. Meaning that one probably has to eat more calories to fulfill one's daily micro-nutrient needs.

but it is not an empty calorie, so the definition is in a sense, useless....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    They have a definition of empty calories as "empty calories applies to food such as solid fats and/or added sugars supplying food energy but little or no other nutrition. An empty calorie has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. Although carbohydrates and fats are nutrients, they are typically ignored for this analysis, with the exception of essential fatty acids." (Wikipedia)
    Added sugar, and solid fats only adds calories, but no micro-nutrients. Hence, it is a calorie devoid of any other function than supplying energy. Adding calories, with

From that definition they have derived that "The foods and beverages that provide the most empty calories for Americans are: pizza, ice cream, soda... etc."
    They haven't demonized these foods, they are just stating facts derived from a definition of empty calories.

This is basically the point I was going to make.

It's kind of a silly analysis, though. They are basically just saying that saturated fat (in that they are focusing on solid fats) and sugar are "empty calories" so foods which contain them have lots of empty calories (and probably some non-empty calories too).

so the fat + sugar, negates the nutrients and energy found within the calories...that is pretty silly.
  • pmadpt
    pmadpt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    silly but true
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

It doesn't matter what you call it, the definition is a measurement instruction. They wanted to measure excess calories consumed; calories that can be removed from the diet without any negative health effects. They formulated such a measurement and then called it empty calories.

Empty calories is by the way also called discretionary calories which is defined as "the difference between total energy requirements and the energy consumed to meet recommended nutrient intakes."url="http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/html/d3_disccalories.htm"]1[/url
    Maybe this name has a more positive feel?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    pmadpt wrote: »
    silly but true

Strong first post.
  • ndj1979
    Options

It doesn't matter what you call it, the definition is a measurement instruction. They wanted to measure excess calories consumed; calories that can be removed from the diet without any negative health effects. They formulated such a measurement and then called it empty calories.

Empty calories is by the way also called discretionary calories which is defined as "the difference between total energy requirements and the energy consumed to meet recommended nutrient intakes."url="http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/html/d3_disccalories.htm"]1[/url
    Which is the same thing as empty calories. Maybe this name has a more positive feel?

my point is that it is a useless measure that has zero meaning.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Before fat became demonized, empty calories was a phrase limited to foods that were pretty much all sugar with little to no other macronutrients or micronutrients. So things like soda and most candy qualified. And alcohol definitely did.

It seems like the author(s) of that page have expanded the definition to be "all the things I don't want you to eat" and in doing so made it ridiculous. Pizza is the opposite of empty calories as is cheese. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating full fat dairy. There are a lot of fat-soluable vitamins in there!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    And this crap right here is the reason our children starve in schools. Have any of you seen what a lot of schools are passing for meals now?

I saw some instagram pictures of some garbage they were serving in schools..it looked disgusting....

*shrug*

I had lunch with my 3rd grader last week, and actually found it quite tasty. Hamburger, tater tots, fresh fruit, and some really good baked beans (not the crap out of the can).

Sooooo many empty calories!! :)

I think it can vary widely. The food at my daughter's school is pretty blech. Unintresting, bland etc. But my sister in law works in a farm to table program with public schools in South Carolina and the food there looks pretty awesome.
  • pmadpt
    Options
    that's the reason why most people who just eat junk food actually are starving in a celular level - deficit of nutrients/ empty calories
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    They wanted to measure excess calories consumed; calories that can be removed from the diet without any negative health effects.
    But you can't remove fats from the diet without negative health effects. We need fat in our diet for a variety of reasons. We don't need sugar as you can get anything you get from sugar from another calories source. Sugar is a true 'empty calorie'. Fat is not.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Cheese????? What the hell is wrong with cheese?!?!
  • pmadpt
    Options
    you can eat good fats in avocatos, brocollis, nuts and seeds.... etc
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    What?! Pizza is my go-to pre-race food. It has never failed me yet.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    pmadpt wrote: »
    you can eat good fats in avocatos, brocollis, nuts and seeds.... etc

But if I want to get my fat from pizza, and I have the calories to do so, and it helps me fulfill my nutritional goals for the day with its delicious carbs and protein, what's wrong with that?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    MacMadame wrote: »
    They wanted to measure excess calories consumed; calories that can be removed from the diet without any negative health effects.
    But you can't remove fats from the diet without negative health effects. We need fat in our diet for a variety of reasons. We don't need sugar as you can get anything you get from sugar from another calories source. Sugar is a true 'empty calorie'. Fat is not.

I dunno. Sugar provides carbs and tends to make food taste delicious.

No one is advocating a diet of 100% sugar of course, but there's certainly more to sugar than just calories
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Right, I understand. Pizza isn't necessarily bad. None of it is "bad" eaten in moderation. But that's the problem with most of our culture...no one actually knows what moderation is anymore. Someone who is used to downing 8 slices of pizza might need to take a break from it until he figures out what an appropriate portion is.

I'm not saying this is a perfect approach, but as evidenced by the growing obesity problem, most people really can't control themselves without going through a lot of education and change.

Saying "our culture" is useless. It's a problem on an individual level.

There are many reasons people over eat. You jumped from the type of food to the fact that people over eat it. They are two different subjects.

I've gorged myself on pizza and I've gorged myself on hummus and carrots in my lifetime.

Overeating is a complex and varied problem, and thinking that it all comes down to the type of food? That's not always the case.