Empty calories list....

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    And this crap right here is the reason our children starve in schools. Have any of you seen what a lot of schools are passing for meals now?

I saw some instagram pictures of some garbage they were serving in schools..it looked disgusting....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I find the buzz phrase "empty calorie" to be so utterly annoying that I just can't. The government using it? Media-speak has reached critical mass.

This isn't helpful information, this is confusing information.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Right, I understand. Pizza isn't necessarily bad. None of it is "bad" eaten in moderation. But that's the problem with most of our culture...no one actually knows what moderation is anymore. Someone who is used to downing 8 slices of pizza might need to take a break from it until he figures out what an appropriate portion is.

I'm not saying this is a perfect approach, but as evidenced by the growing obesity problem, most people really can't control themselves without going through a lot of education and change.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Right, I understand. Pizza isn't necessarily bad. None of it is "bad" eaten in moderation. But that's the problem with most of our culture...no one actually knows what moderation is anymore. Someone who is used to downing 8 slices of pizza might need to take a break from it until he figures out what an appropriate portion is.

I'm not saying this is a perfect approach, but as evidenced by the growing obesity problem, most people really can't control themselves without going through a lot of education and change.

yes, but that is not a food issue, that is a self control issue.

You can get fat on a diet of "clean" foods too ....

• Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of that might truly qualify for "empty" calorie status is alcohol, which I don't see them even addressing in this article (maybe I missed it?).

Also, I think it's sacrilege to put bacon on that list. Bacon is most certainly not empty calories. Bacon calories are delicious, wonderful calories. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The only thing I can think of that might truly qualify for "empty" calorie status is alcohol, which I don't see them even addressing in this article (maybe I missed it?).

Also, I think it's sacrilege to put bacon on that list. Bacon is most certainly not empty calories. Bacon calories are delicious, wonderful calories. :)

even alcohol has some small amount of micros and contains carbs....
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    So what do they eat? Air?? :D
    They eat cauliflower pizzas topped with fat free cheese!

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

• jaga13
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yes, absolutely you can get fat on a diet of "clean" foods. If I had my way with avocado and nuts...what were we talking about? :)

But honestly, look around the next time you're out and about. *Most* people aren't fat from healthy food. With enough skills they could learn to eat those foods in moderation, but they need to start somewhere.

As a side note, it seems some people on MFP, and I'm not saying you, but some act is if eating anything as long as it fits (macros/calories) is a religion. Same for the clean eaters. It's not worth the craziness. Both have good points and neither need to be defended to the grave.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yes, absolutely you can get fat on a diet of "clean" foods. If I had my way with avocado and nuts...what were we talking about? :)

But honestly, look around the next time you're out and about. *Most* people aren't fat from healthy food. With enough skills they could learn to eat those foods in moderation, but they need to start somewhere.

As a side note, it seems some people on MFP, and I'm not saying you, but some act is if eating anything as long as it fits (macros/calories) is a religion. Same for the clean eaters. It's not worth the craziness. Both have good points and neither need to be defended to the grave.

however, one chooses to eat -IIFYM, low carb, clean, etc - it is just a tool to get into a calorie deficit. I say use whatever tool you want; however, I take exception when people start claiming that one tool is superior to another..

and yes I agree, most are not getting obese on healthy foods, but rather they are getting obese by consuming ALL foods...

and we were discussing the ridiculous - IMO - empty calorie list ...:)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    bYzjxGO.jpg
  • jaga13
    Options
    The only superior tool IS deficit, period. I think most of us agree. How you get to that deficit is up to each individual.

I'm going to continue eating pizza and ice cream all the years I have left :) But I don't have the wiggle room with my calories to eat them every day without feeling sadness over the small portions. I CAN eat lots of fruits, veggies, lean protein, and oatmeal every single day and remain full, happy, and in deficit, so that's a win for me (and I'm looking forward to pizza this weekend for a special occassion!).

Perhaps we shouldn't demonize food. But you ALSO shouldn't demonize multiple strategies.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The only superior tool IS deficit, period. I think most of us agree. How you get to that deficit is up to each individual.

I'm going to continue eating pizza and ice cream all the years I have left :) But I don't have the wiggle room with my calories to eat them every day without feeling sadness over the small portions. I CAN eat lots of fruits, veggies, lean protein, and oatmeal every single day and remain full, happy, and in deficit, so that's a win for me (and I'm looking forward to pizza this weekend for a special occassion!).

Perhaps we shouldn't demonize food. But you ALSO shouldn't demonize multiple strategies.

I think, largely, people don't demonize strategies that work for the individual. But when someone says its the ONLY way to lose weight or be healthy, jimmies get rustled.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Who said it was the only way?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Often on the boards, people chime in with statements saying that cutting out this or that or eating in a certain way is the only way to be healthy or to lose weight successfully. These people are called out and then shenanigans, hilarity, and gifs ensue.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    They have a definition of empty calories as "empty calories applies to food such as solid fats and/or added sugars supplying food energy but little or no other nutrition. An empty calorie has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. Although carbohydrates and fats are nutrients, they are typically ignored for this analysis, with the exception of essential fatty acids." (Wikipedia)
    Added sugar, and solid fats only adds calories, but no micro-nutrients. Hence, it is a calorie devoid of any other function than supplying energy.

From that definition they have derived that "The foods and beverages that provide the most empty calories for Americans are: pizza, ice cream, soda... etc."
    They haven't demonized these foods, they are just stating facts derived from a definition of empty calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Followed by banana "ice cream" for dessert!
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

^THIS!

• ndj1979
    Options

you must be new here...

usually the clean eaters demonize moderation as "Twinkies and donuts all day" or claim that if you eat clean you will lose more weight than someone how practices moderation, even though the clean eater and moderate eater are in a 500 calorie deficit...

there is more too ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Followed by banana "ice cream" for dessert!

or miracle noodles...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    They have a definition of empty calories as "empty calories applies to food such as solid fats and/or added sugars supplying food energy but little or no other nutrition. An empty calorie has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. Although carbohydrates and fats are nutrients, they are typically ignored for this analysis, with the exception of essential fatty acids." (Wikipedia)
    Added sugar, and solid fats only adds calories, but no micro-nutrients. Hence, it is a calorie devoid of any other function than supplying energy. Adding calories, with

From that definition they have derived that "The foods and beverages that provide the most empty calories for Americans are: pizza, ice cream, soda... etc."
    They haven't demonized these foods, they are just stating facts derived from a definition of empty calories.

explain to me how a vegetable pizza would be an empty calorie?