pmadpt wrote: »
    you can eat good fats in avocatos, brocollis, nuts and seeds.... etc

so is the fat in pizza good or bad???
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You're completely moving your goal post.

I'm going to assume that you would consider a serving of gummi bears to be empty calories but do you think that a person going for a 5k, or whatever k run would definately consider them empty?

... empty calories =/= specific food items.
    Two identical persons, A and B need 2000kcal each to maintain weight and health. All nutrients needed for a human must be contained in those 2000kcal. That includes the necessary amounts of carbs, fats and protein. Which also includes a serving of gummy bears for A and B.
    Person A eats nutrient dense food so that nutrient goals are met within 2000kcal. Person B eats less nutrient dense food. According to the definition, the nutrient dense food is diluted with solid fats and refined sugar. Instead of eating just gummy bears, B fried and battered the gummy bears and dipped them in powdered sugar, diluting the food item's nutrient density. Persons A and B eat exactly the same amount of food for each meal, but now person B must add an extra meal of 500kcal to meet their nutrient goals. And as a result gains weight. Since person B could just have removed the fried batter and powdered sugar and saved 500kcal without any effect on the nutritional profile of the food, they call the extra 500kcal, empty calories.
    Whether person B likes fried gummy bears and feel better including it in its diet is beside the point. Empty calories is just an aspect of health that they are interested in.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree that things such as soda, alcohol, etc are empty calories. You get little nutrition out of them and yet they eat away at your daily calorie intake pretty rapidly. The occasional glass of wine or soda is ok, but if it's part of a daily diet (or replaces your water intake) then I think there is a problem. The way I personally view it (for myself) is that I refuse to waste precious calories on things that do not serve my body nutritionally. In my mind, I view it sort of like currency. If I only have X amount of calories to "spend" each day, am I spending it wisely? If not, I have to re-think my approach. The same goes for exercise and mental energy. If I only have $5 of energy to spend each day, what am I going to spend it on?

I do not agree that pizza is empty calories, however. I make homemade pizza at home often. I know what goes into it, and I'd hardly call it "empty".

people who are replacing water with alcohol are more than likely alcoholics, so that is kind of a ludicrous comparison point...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    but it is not an empty calorie, so the definition is in a sense, useless....

It doesn't matter what you call it, the definition is a measurement instruction. They wanted to measure excess calories consumed; calories that can be removed from the diet without any negative health effects. They formulated such a measurement and then called it empty calories.

Empty calories is by the way also called discretionary calories which is defined as "the difference between total energy requirements and the energy consumed to meet recommended nutrient intakes."url="http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/html/d3_disccalories.htm"]1[/url
    Maybe this name has a more positive feel?

I'm going to assume that you would consider a serving of gummi bears to be empty calories but do you think that a person going for a 5k, or whatever k run would definately consider them empty?
    I 100% agree that things such as soda, alcohol, etc are empty calories. You get little nutrition out of them and yet they eat away at your daily calorie intake pretty rapidly. The occasional glass of wine or soda is ok, but if it's part of a daily diet (or replaces your water intake) then I think there is a problem. The way I personally view it (for myself) is that I refuse to waste precious calories on things that do not serve my body nutritionally. In my mind, I view it sort of like currency. If I only have X amount of calories to "spend" each day, am I spending it wisely? If not, I have to re-think my approach. The same goes for exercise and mental energy. If I only have $5 of energy to spend each day, what am I going to spend it on?

I do not agree that pizza is empty calories, however. I make homemade pizza at home often. I know what goes into it, and I'd hardly call it "empty".

Again, would everyone consider a soda empty calories? Same example as above.

If they are empty calories then they are empty for all. It's either yes or no. Not that they are empty because you want to say they are.

I am not either of the people you quoted, but in my opinion yes, those are still empty calories. The person eating/drinking it is getting a benefit from it, sure. But those items are not contributing to their overall nutrition goals as far as macro or micro nutrient, so yes, still empty.

sugar = energy, so how can that be empty?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    silly but true

You are saying it's true that the fat in a pizza (in cheese, for example) negates the value of any veggies on it?

Weird, and not true.

Hi,

any excess of trans fat, causes delay in the normal function of endothelial cells which may take up to 8 hours, so it will interfere with the beneficial effects of the remaining nutrients.

Now there is good pizza as stated above made with raw food.

I am referring to fast food pizza loaded with trans fat and other industrial ingredients

what if I get fast food pizza loaded with vegetables, is it then good?

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I will never understand how a meal of bread, cheese, ham and an assortment of vegetables is completly acceptable, but as soon as the bread is round and flat, and the other ingredients are baked on top of it, it becomes the debbil.
  • pmadpt
    pmadpt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "solid fat"? What foods would be an example of something that contains a "not solid fat" that would apparently not be an empty calorie? Confused.
    Also, nice to know that I added some "empty calories" to my omelet this morning (feta cheese).

Cheese is so not empty! I don't even love cheese very much, but I rely on it to help me reach my protein goals as well as my calcium. Bang for the buck, people!

Hi,

You can get the daily amount of calcium through a tablespoon of sesame and linseed omega 3 by a soup spoon. the protein you can get from broccoli .

I stopped drinking milk because several negative studies , and I chose to make my own almond milk with honey and pure cocoa .
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I will never understand how a meal of bread, cheese, ham and an assortment of vegetables is completly acceptable, but as soon as the bread is round and flat, and the other ingredients are baked on top of it, it becomes the debbil.

flattening = processing = bad
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What exactly is "solid fat"? What foods would be an example of something that contains a "not solid fat" that would apparently not be an empty calorie? Confused.
    Also, nice to know that I added some "empty calories" to my omelet this morning (feta cheese).

Cheese is so not empty! I don't even love cheese very much, but I rely on it to help me reach my protein goals as well as my calcium. Bang for the buck, people!

Hi,

You can get the daily amount of calcium through a tablespoon of sesame and linseed omega 3 by a soup spoon. the protein you can get from broccoli .

I stopped drinking milk because several negative studies , and I chose to make my own almond milk with honey and pure cocoa .

please link us to the negative studies….
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    explain to me how a vegetable pizza would be an empty calorie?

By the definition, they are just comparing foods based on nutrient density (proportion of nutrients in a food relative to its energy content), and calorie density (amount of energy relative to weight of the food). They are not saying that a vegetable pizza is devoid of nutrients, but compared to other foods with the same calorie content and weight, the nutrient profile is much lower. Meaning that one probably has to eat more calories to fulfill one's daily micro-nutrient needs.
    By that definition, the only food that's not "empty" is multivitamin pills. 1 pill has less than 1 calorie and more micronutrients than any piece of vegetable could only dream of.
  • CupcakeQueen86
    CupcakeQueen86 Posts: 76 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love food and I've lost a stone eating anything I want but within limits with little exercise, so they chat bubbles! going to have my chocolate cake now yummy
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Hi,

You want me to eat broccoli to get my 130g of protein per day? And also to fill my fat requirements? I never knew broccoli was so magical.
  • pmadpt
    pmadpt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    silly but true

You are saying it's true that the fat in a pizza (in cheese, for example) negates the value of any veggies on it?

Weird, and not true.

Hi,

any excess of trans fat, causes delay in the normal function of endothelial cells which may take up to 8 hours, so it will interfere with the beneficial effects of the remaining nutrients.

I am referring to fast food pizza loaded with trans fat and other industrial ingredients

Hi,

if you make your own pizza loaded with vegetables very fast, i think it´s ok... lol
  • ndj1979
    Options
    silly but true

Weird, and not true.

Hi,

Hi,

if you make your own pizza loaded with vegetables very fast, i think it´s ok... lol

that was not my question….

my question is - if you get a fast food pizza loaded with vegetables is it then good? Or still bad…?
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I started a thread for things like this...perhaps you can add "empty calories" to the list haha

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10171943/what-health-sayings-drive-you-crazy-ie-detox-cleanse-etc#latest
  • ndj1979
    Options

... empty calories =/= specific food items.
    Two identical persons, A and B need 2000kcal each to maintain weight and health. All nutrients needed for a human must be contained in those 2000kcal. That includes the necessary amounts of carbs, fats and protein. Which also includes a serving of gummy bears for A and B.
    Person A eats nutrient dense food so that nutrient goals are met within 2000kcal. Person B eats less nutrient dense food. According to the definition, the nutrient dense food is diluted with solid fats and refined sugar. Instead of eating just gummy bears, B fried and battered the gummy bears and dipped them in powdered sugar, diluting the food item's nutrient density. Persons A and B eat exactly the same amount of food for each meal, but now person B must add an extra meal of 500kcal to meet their nutrient goals. And as a result gains weight. Since person B could just have removed the fried batter and powdered sugar and saved 500kcal without any effect on the nutritional profile of the food, they call the extra 500kcal, empty calories.
    Whether person B likes fried gummy bears and feel better including it in its diet is beside the point. Empty calories is just an aspect of health that they are interested in.

What in the world are you even talking about? Diluting nutrients? Fats dilute nutrients? Sugar dilutes nutrients? The glucose in fruit dilutes nutrients? Oh wait, i guess they have to be refined for your body to do that right? And who eats deep fried gummi bears covered in sugar? If there was ever a strawman award you ended the contest forever with that one.

You aren't using your ability to apply situations to real life.

I was thinking that too ..

so essentially eating some fat on your vegetable pizza cancels out the nutrients in the vegetables??

as I points out early, it is a useless definition ...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    silly but true

Weird, and not true.

Hi,

Um, why on earth would you assume we were talking about pizza loaded with transfat. The example was about the cheese in pizza, I believe.

Pizza made with raw (uncooked) food sounds disgusting.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Hi,

I'd hate to eat over 2 kilos of broccoli just to get the minimum requirement of protein for a sedentary person. Daily.