2 yrs of MFP - 130+ lost, 9 months maintaining (with pics)

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I read something on Nerd Fitness awhile ago: "Quietly and consistently work towards building a better you." That describes my story in a nutshell. Unfortunately for you, I'm no good at telling short stories that would fit into a nutshell, so cozy in for a novel or skip down for pictures.

You know that rock bottom that gives people a wake-up call and the impetus to change their lives? This will not be one of those stories.

I didn't have a health scare and I wasn't eating fast food three meals a day. I hadn't tried "everything" - in fact, other than a few lame "I'll diet today!" thoughts that passed quickly and a two week stint with the South Beach diet (sweet potato chips are diet food!), I hadn't been doing anything, for years.

I was happy, for the most part - fat and happy. I have a great husband and child, career, and friends. I'm not sure anyone would have described me as unmotivated, but that's how I felt. Directionless and just...bored.

Two years ago, I joined a gym for kind of a silly reason. I registered here June 16, 2011. I began tracking my calories sort of half-heartedly as the idea started germinating in my head: "Hey girl, maybe you could lose some weight?"

I wasn't expecting much. I didn't announce my intentions to friends and family. I didn't take "before" pics because I didn't consider that I'd post a success story eventually. There were certain things I refused to do: go on a diet; mainly. I *love* cooking and eating great food is one of the highlights of my life; I'd rather be fat and eat well than thin and deprived. I thought this was a set-up for failure.

I also didn't tell MFP, or my friends here, how much weight I truly had to lose. I'm just shy of 5'11" and I weighed 308.5 when I started here. Do you know what it feels like to know you need to lose 130 pounds to even reach a healthy BMI? Some of you do, but for those who don't: it's incredibly, astoundingly, overwhelming. The idea of not reaching "goal" for more than a year? I didn't want to wait that long for my life to begin.

So I told MFP I wanted to weigh 275. I didn't think I'd ever weigh under 178, the healthy BMI range for someone of my height, but what the hell - I could lose 33, right?

And that's how it started. I reached my first goal. Oooh, I was into it by then, so I made a new goal, 249. Hit that one too and felt unstoppable because, well, I was. I got bold, then, and my next goal was 208 - no longer obese, but merely overweight, which was worthy of celebration. Then the milestone of 199. Honestly, that was all I really wanted, to weigh under 200.

But I kept going, and in September of 2012, I weighed in at 175. A healthy BMI. The lowest weight in my adult life. A weight I thought I'd be "too skinny" at (lol). And I've been maintaining around this weight since then.

I write this today directed at those who just signed up. Maybe you feel like you can't do this. Maybe you feel like it's not your time. Maybe you don't feel that your heart is fully in it. That's okay. When I joined MFP, I wasn't really expecting anything magical to happen either.

But the magic? You guys, it came.

I have lost more than 130 pounds. I am at a weight I wouldn't have dared input into MFP as my ultimate goal when I joined. I buy size small shirts and size 6 jeans. I am going to wear a bikini this summer if it ever gets warm in Minnesota. I lift weights like a real weight lifter. I run like a real runner. I didn't play a single sport in high school, but now I consider myself an athlete. I'm the same person but fundamentally changed; there's no word for it but magic.

I've learned so much about what to eat and how to find balance. Most importantly, I've learned that it's really not that complicated: eat plenty of real food. keep track of that food. lift heavy things. move around more. build a support system. never let perfect become the enemy of good. There's magic to these realizations; I never understood them before, but now they feel downright foundational.

There was magic to numbers too. I hit 100 pounds lost on my son's second birthday. I ran a 10-mile race on exactly my 500th day of MFP. And I hit my goal weight on my husband's birthday. I'm kind of black-hearted and unsentimental, but the way these numbers aligned with such important times in my life makes it hard even for me to deny that maybe everything happened exactly as it was supposed to.

I'm proud of my mental and physical strength and of who I have become. I can accept my body, flaws and all, and realize how beautiful it is. I am floored with gratitude for how it moves and what I can do. I don't hide from the camera or avoid life because I don't know what to wear or I feel ashamed of my size. I can set a good example for my son; I run and bike and hike and still have energy to get on the floor and play with trains. I don't approach challenges with "I can't" but rather "I can't right now, but if I follow this plan, by next spring...."

How did I do this? I've written lots of blog entries with specifics, so I'll be general.

Tomorrow morning, my MFP profile will greet me with "ShannonMpls has logged in for 730 days in a row!" Two years ago, I registered here and just...started.

Did I log my food every single day? Ha. No. But I tracked it most days. And my morning ritual of logging onto MFP, even on days when I ate way too much because it was my birthday or a holiday (or sometimes "Saturday") reminded me of my long-term goal and what it would take it reach it.

Did I exercise every day for hours on end? Nope. But I was consistent with weight training, and I got cardio in too. Exercise became one of the regular parts of my day, something with priority like "eating" and "sleeping" and "watching Breaking Bad."

Did I wake up every day with motivation to eat perfectly and exercise? I wish. I have days where all I want is donuts. I still longingly watch coworkers get their food truck lunches while I hit the gym at noon then eat my packed lunch at my desk. I remember having bags of salty treats at my desk and oops! eating the whole bag - I miss that mindless eating now and then. Sometimes going to the gym seems like the Worst Thing On Earth.

But once I get there, it's not so bad, you know....

And that's the secret, your magic bullet, right there. I've been successful because I ride the high of motivation when I have it and fake it when I don't. It's been waking up every single day knowing that I am in charge of my choices. It's been refusing to let a bad day become a bad week. It's been differentiating between needs and excuses. It's been learning dedication and commitment - but also learning when to give in and indulge.

Last week I reached a major goal: I loaded a barbell with 45 pound plates for bench press. I stared at it for a few minutes - could I really do this? - then got to business and lifted it 6 times. And then I did another set. 135 pounds for reps, you guys. I've been steadily working toward this goal and I did it. WHO IS THIS SUPER-SHANNON?

Oh yeah - it's me. Someone who started out here without expecting anything much, but changed her whole life in two short years and had so much fun doing it. I'm not kidding when I say that I loved the process of losing weight, that the journey was as great as the destination. Fitness has become a hobby that has given me drive, confidence, and health. I have new friends. I always have goals. This is what I was missing, the piece of the puzzle that turned a good life into a great one.

So what's ahead? There is no diet to go off of. There is no "ultimate goal" anymore. There's just me, and though I am already (and have always been) good enough, I'll keep forging ahead. I'll quietly and consistently become a better - stronger, faster, more awesome - version of myself. And when I fall down, as I inevitably will, I'll brush myself off and get right back up.

tl;dr version: Start, and then don't stop.

Now for pictures. To reward you for reading all this, I plowed through the photos on Facebook my "friends" tagged me in over the years to find perfectly unflattering but brutally honest shots.

This beauty was taken the summer I started at MFP. I can hardly believe this was just two years ago, because it feels like another lifetime.
    206040_2263465184209_7193226_n_zps88a02152.jpg

To be fair, I was like 19 weeks pregnant in the "before" shot here. The after shot was taken a couple weeks ago.
    ddbe5b6c-69dc-4d80-b3ba-632cfcf5ebf1_zps4ffb186f.jpg

Friends are so precious for taking photos like this, aren't they? But at least I have a perfect butt comparison shot. Jean size of 22/24 vs an incredibly vanity-sized 6.
    25d7b3d7-a411-4fdc-ad19-dd7dbd11fadd_zps42e7b107.jpg

No wonder the DMV woman did a double-take when I went to renew my license:
    photo6-2.jpg

And finally: me, my kid, and the photobombing goat:
    0d9de960-3a0f-4a53-8f9f-e321d67080f8_zps7503a058.jpg

Thanks for reading. Shout-out to my MFP friends; I fricking adore you.

PS If you want to read more specifics on how I ate, exercised, and approached weight loss, check out my blog here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls

Congrats and your kid is so cute and adorable - love that smile on his face
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love this, I love this, I love this. This is incentive. I'm one of the "I've tried everything" and dieted a million times but am now wrapping my head around the fact that I can lift weights and do the weight machines and not have to ride the elliptical machine for an hour and a half every day. I'm actually ENJOYING the gym now that I know how to use all the machines!! I'm only three weeks into my journey but I've lost 8 pounds and I'm scheduled to measure myself next Friday (and am looking FORWARD TO IT!). I only weigh myself once every one or two weeks and I feel AWESOME when I leave the gym every single solitary morning .... I arrive there at 4:45am and leave at 5:30 smiling. :)
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I did not skip down, I read every word. How inspirational! You are amazing and such a motivation. I thank you for taking time to post this because it's a reminder that even if we believe that certain fitness goals are off limit to us, they're not.

You look fantastic.
  • Barbsunshine
    Barbsunshine Posts: 398
    Options
    I so needed to read this today. So often I skip over the "Success Stories" because I'm discouraged with my wieght loss - or lack thereof. Slowly but surely it's coming off, but it's just too slow! How long did it take you to hit your first goal?
  • cindismilez
    cindismilez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    congrats to u..... amazing story and pics.... u are very strong.... I have struggled with wt forever.. I am now 57.. for yrs I have been on and off diets..... I gain so easily or so it seems..... I can diet hard for a month and lose some and it seems I look at something fattening and gain....... it is not easy.... and I should have one of those I hit bottom stories.. and that woke me up because I have kinda hit bottom and knew what I needed to do and still did not do it......... I did get sick and lose 109 lbs... but I got a little better and gained 44 of it back..... but.... I have finally got things straight in my mind and have finally realized that I have to do this for me... because for me it is not just about losing wt but getting my health back.... I am eating only whole foods... but only fresh organic... I do believe all those chemicals and poisons in and on our food is making us sick..... I know it is making me sick so I will not eat it anymore... I will do the best I can to eat fresh clean food... nothing processed or treated..... and I will get better...... thank u for the motivation .. for sharing your story and your happiness.... best to u always....
  • littlecjhatton
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • amanda705
    amanda705 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is so inspirational. I weight 260 and would like to lose 100 (ish) pounds. I originally thought it was not going to happen, would take forever, etc. After reading stories like yours, I feel empowered that I CAN lose the weight and WILL reach my goal. :smile:
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing this! I am stuck on the last 20-30 pounds and need someone to wake me up! Congratulations on your success.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! you look fabulous! I <3 you, your story and your photobombing goat :)
  • TotalTory
    TotalTory Posts: 59
    Options
    AMAZING! Thanks for sharing! Great awesome job.
  • leenna50
    leenna50 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh Wow, very inspirational. Enjoyed your story. Just as I was having a down day myself today, your story has helped to lift me up again and I back on the wagon again.

Thank you for taking the time to write it all down

Congratulations.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing this and reminding me to enjoy the journey! Such a great attitude that you have!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Truly inspirational!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I really like the photobombing goat.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I loved reading your story. What an incredible journey you have been on. You look amazing congrats!
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    Your story is absolutely amazing! I too have 100+ to lose. I do like your idea of making short goals. My current GW is 150. While that is not exactly where the "charts" say I should be - that would make me ecstatic. Congratulations on reaching your goal. I can only hope (and with hard work) to reach my goal by this time next year!
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Great inspiration for me. And I see from your drivers license picture you are from Minnesota! :) What a good feeling to have a nice picture for your drivers license too.

Keep up the fantastic work.
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your motivation is inspirational. Way to go!
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Absolutely amazing. You are truly gorgeous and the gift you gave your son of being healty for him is the best thing you can give. And the goat is awesome, too.
  • PrincessYorga
    Options
    Thank you so much for telling your story. I almost didn't even need to see the pictures. The story told me everything I needed to know! You are an AMAZING person and reading your story (heck and seeing the pictures) is inspiring and motivational!

Again, thank you so much for sharing. You just gave me that little extra push I needed to keep moving forward and getting better every day. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!