"I'm pretty into myself"

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I think the only difference in my specific scenario is that I wasn't TELLING anyone that I'm awesome, or that I'm pretty, or that I'm a good person, or even that anyone should like me lol I said I'M pretty into MYSELF...Because at the moment, I was! lol And I wasn't ashamed of sharing that feeling with the rest of my FL.

There are a lot of different approaches to social media. I would say "sharing" and "telling" lack distinction as broadcast events.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I try not to love myself in public.
    Despite the jokes and sexually-related comments posted in response to this, I initially read that differently. Not entirely true - I laughed at first. I wondered if the comment was meant only in jest, or if it was truly good advice worded well.

I think proclaiming one's love for anything is simply that: proclaiming one's love. Posting "I'm pretty into myself" is fine, but I don't think it's necessarily an indicator of self-love, or self-respect, or self-esteem. It just means you're proclaiming you are into yourself. It may not even be true.

The "must be low self esteem" argument is old and tired. My mom uses that all the time, and her VCR still blinks 12:00. It's as bad (maybe worse) than the "they're just jealous" response. But I think people want to have a reason why people do things, and they generally want a reason they can a) relate to OR b) feel better about themselves about.

In my experience, if you are awesome, the awesomeness generally shows itself within a few interactions (even online). You don't need to proclaim it. Saying it doesn't make you NOT awesome. But it might make your awesomeness shine a little less bright.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I think you are awesome.
    I think I am awesome.
    This is why we are friends.

We are totally ok as a society with women saying 'im too fat for that'. 'my boobs aren't big enough'. blah blah blah.
    Sure there are things about me that I would love to fix and work on but Im pretty. Im smart. Im fit(ter). Im funny and Im nice to puppies and babies alike.
    Im pretty into me and I think others should be as well. :smokin:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Actually kind of an interesting question. Is it a cultural taboo to be extremely vain, or is it universal throughout all cultures? Don't know. Congrats on your awesomeness.

well, this is the thing... I don't think it is vanity to love oneself or to value ones self or to think ones self awesome. Vanity implies to me something more- like valuing ones self as more important than others.

I think loving yourself is awesome sauce. I do it on the daily. I have been called conceited (only on MFP) but people who know me know that I love and value myself, but not at the expense of others. And sometimes I do have low self esteem--- but it's on a different level. It's kinda weird...hard to explain.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if you are awesome, the awesomeness generally shows itself within a few interactions (even online). You don't need to proclaim it. Saying it doesn't make you NOT awesome. But it might make your awesomeness shine a little less bright.

He said it better than I did.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I guess in my mind if you are comfortable with yourself and you love yourself you don't need to verbalize it because it shows without words. Verbalizing it to someone else is pointless and give the opposite impression to people, I guess my question is if you feel you are awesome why feel the need to tell someone else about it unless you want them to agree with you which can definitely come across as needing validation.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Hey, nothing wrong with liking yourself and taking pride in yourself. I wish I had that high of a self- esteem and I certainly don't begrudge others for having it. Besides, I think it's refreshing to hear people praise themselves instead of putting themselves down.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Agreed.

you just come into the forums and post random stuff so I see your profile pic and wish you would let me friend you, Don't you????

DAMN YOU TO HELL!

:laugh:
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There is a fine line between cocky and confident. Full of yourself and proud of yourself. I can't stand cocky people but I gravitate towards confidence. It is all in the way you present yourself to people. I am the type of person that will wear a sexy outfit because I am confident knowing that I look great but when I receive a compliment I simply say "thank you" not "OMG I know right?!?" Lol. But pretty much I think I am pretty awesome.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I think you are awesome.
    I think I am awesome.
    This is why we are friends.

We are totally ok as a society with women saying 'im too fat for that'. 'my boobs aren't big enough'. blah blah blah.
    Sure there are things about me that I would love to fix and work on but Im pretty. Im smart. Im fit(ter). Im funny and Im nice to puppies and babies alike.
    Im pretty into me and I think others should be as well. :smokin:

hahaha This is EXACTLY why we are friends! :drinker:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Maybe that person is trying to put their feelings on you.

I didn't like myself. I do now. I like to look at myself, I like to look at my arms (muscles are forming, YAY!), I wish I could brag more about my progress but I've found that outside of MFP, people get sick of hearing it :grumble:

If you are changing your entire life, your entire existence, then damn right you deserve to love and brag about yourself. As long as it isn't hurtful ("I look better than you") kind of way, then love it up girl!!

(now that I think of it, those with the low self esteem may be thinking that by praising yourself, you are putting them down. Side effect that I don't think will ever go away, unless that person learns to love who they are!)

Well said. :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Being in love with yourself is vain.

Vain is defined as "Having or showing an excessively high opinion of one's appearance, abilities, or worth."

Is this really how you would define "love"???
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's good to genuinely love yourself.

But, it is problematic if it is narcissism. And sometimes people that have narcissism are that way because of deep feelings of inadequacy. Although, I also think it would be odd to just go around diagnosing people with this without enough real info or experience with that person. And it's also easy for someone's own issues and stuff to influence how they perceive what another person is saying.

Also, mfp is unique in a sense. For example, I will talk about my body at times because we are talking about fitness knowledge and results and stuff like that. In real life, I would never go around talking about my body like that (and not on other places on the internet either).
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    <--- apparently I am too! AND I tell everyone with my screen name :laugh:

In all honesty, it isn't about me being 'better' than anyone else... it's about how for the first time in my life I FEEL AWESOME. and I DO love myself. There is nothing wrong with that. Rock on girl! :drinker:
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to love yourself. Ultimately that's where confidence springs from. But that doesn't mean you have to throw it in people's faces. Being hot and knowing it is great, but being hot AND humble is downright sexy.

this! yep yep!! :flowerforyou:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

you just come into the forums and post random stuff so I see your profile pic and wish you would let me friend you, Don't you????

DAMN YOU TO HELL!

:laugh:

Indeed; you seem to have unravelled my master plan but it has already been set in motion...
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I am pretty, and into myself.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I find that most days, especially if I'm working out and losing, I feel pretty confident and I am not afraid to post something about it. My Mom has always told me that those who tend to "hate" on you are the ones that "hate" themselves. AKA your Sister just says/acts nasty to you because she is jealous. lol.

Yeah, they get mad at what they don't have themselves and you make them recognize it. Don't worry, move to Tampa!
    http://health.heraldtribune.com/2012/06/22/mens-health-rates-tampa-as-the-vainest-city-in-america/

Kansas City is number 96 as being the "LEAST VAIN"! LMAO!! Well, we do have the best "people at walmart".
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Actually kind of an interesting question. Is it a cultural taboo to be extremely vain, or is it universal throughout all cultures? Don't know. Congrats on your awesomeness.

well, this is the thing... I don't think it is vanity to love oneself or to value ones self or to think ones self awesome. Vanity implies to me something more- like valuing ones self as more important than others.

I think loving yourself is awesome sauce. I do it on the daily. I have been called conceited (only on MFP) but people who know me know that I love and value myself, but not at the expense of others. And sometimes I do have low self esteem--- but it's on a different level. It's kinda weird...hard to explain.

I agree with you, which is why the majority of these people thinking I'm a huge narcissist is okay with me. The people on my FL that interact with me daily know me and know that I would never do or say anything at the expense of others.