"I'm pretty into myself"

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    But you know what, though, who cares if she verbalized it to feel better about herself or whatever other reason. How is it any different than the other things we do to feel better about ourselves, like working out, putting on make-up, or taking cell phone pics in the bathroom mirror?

If that works for her, why should anyone else care?

The person's comment seem to be made in an effort to change her mentality. Her mentality was that she felt good about herself. Who was the commenter to change her mentality about that? What right did he or she have to concern him or herself with how the OP thought or felt?
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I find that most days, especially if I'm working out and losing, I feel pretty confident and I am not afraid to post something about it. My Mom has always told me that those who tend to "hate" on you are the ones that "hate" themselves. AKA your Sister just says/acts nasty to you because she is jealous. lol.

Yeah, they get mad at what they don't have themselves and you make them recognize it. Don't worry, move to Tampa!
    http://health.heraldtribune.com/2012/06/22/mens-health-rates-tampa-as-the-vainest-city-in-america/

Kansas City is number 96 as being the "LEAST VAIN"! LMAO!! Well, we do have the best "people at walmart".

Ew, TAMPA!? lol
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

you just come into the forums and post random stuff so I see your profile pic and wish you would let me friend you, Don't you????

DAMN YOU TO HELL!

:laugh:

Indeed; you seem to have unravelled my master plan but it has already been set in motion...

I have tried like twenty times to get a response out of you and this is the first time!

I'm so excited I can't think of anything clever to say!!

Your abs are hot!

ETA:

DIODELCIBO--> abbi pietà di me!!!!!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    What right did he or she have to concern him or herself with how the OP thought or felt?

That door opens as soon as the OP broadcasts.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think it is totally okay to love yourself, and be into yourself, we don't high five ourselves enough. I have facilitated a self-esteem group for youth, and many of them said they don't have good self-esteem because they think that others will think they are conceded. Two totally different things! Having positive healthy self-esteem is okay. You can be into yourself and have flaws. I am into my fiance and he has flaws...sometimes!
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is the most thought provoking thread I have seen on MFP all year. I appreciate you starting the dialogue. Your self-declaration of awesome frees others to do the same. One poet (Marianne Williamson) said it this way.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    But you know what, though, who cares if she verbalized it to feel better about herself or whatever other reason. How is it any different than the other things we do to feel better about ourselves, like working out, putting on make-up, or taking cell phone pics in the bathroom mirror?

The person's comment seem to be made in an effort to change her mentality. Her mentality was that she felt good about herself. Who was the commenter to change her mentality about that? What right did he or she have to concern him or herself with how the OP thought or felt?

Lovely reply. :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Excellent post.

You can think it but heaven forbid that you verbalise it....That simply will not do.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    It's good to genuinely love yourself.

But, it is problematic if it is narcissism. And sometimes people that have narcissism are that way because of deep feelings of inadequacy. Although, I also think it would be odd to just go around diagnosing people with this without enough real info or experience with that person. And it's also easy for someone's own issues and stuff to influence how they perceive what another person is saying.

Also, mfp is unique in a sense. For example, I will talk about my body at times because we are talking about fitness knowledge and results and stuff like that. In real life, I would never go around talking about my body like that (and not on other places on the internet either).

hahahaha Yes!! I wouldn't go around introducing myself as "Hi, I'm pretty into myself. Nice to meet you" lmao I wouldn't even post that status on FB...But with MFP, we're all here to work on improvement...Most of it is physical, but a lot of it is mental as well. For the first time in my life, I can actually say I'm pretty into myself and MEAN IT. So yeah...Sorry I'm not sorry! :tongue:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

you just come into the forums and post random stuff so I see your profile pic and wish you would let me friend you, Don't you????

DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Indeed; you seem to have unravelled my master plan but it has already been set in motion...

I have tried like twenty times to get a response out of you and this is the first time!

Your abs are hot!

that's either the right thing.....or the soooo very wrong thing to say....

good luck :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

-watchin from the sidelines
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It's all about context.

I love my kids, but I don't feel the need to tell them or anyone else how much I love them constantly. The same could be applicable to myself. There's a fine line between being comfortable with yourself and confident about yourself and just being obnoxious.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    This is the most thought provoking thread I have seen on MFP all year. I appreciate you starting the dialogue. Your self-declaration of awesome frees others to do the same. One poet (Marianne Williamson) said it this way.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

:heart:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    What right did he or she have to concern him or herself with how the OP thought or felt?

Fair enough, but my point was that some people should find better things to do than worry about what others think of themselves. If you can stop and point out another's flaws just because you spotted them, then you aren't spending nearly enough time working on your own.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Because Im not awesome and you aren't either!
    Peanut butter,chocolate banana sandwiches on the other hand.....

Drool. I want one!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Fair enough, but my point was that some people should find better things to do than worry about what others think of themselves. If you can stop and point out another's flaws just because you spotted them, then you aren't spending nearly enough time working on your own.

this! high five or walk-on. There is always such a need to put others down.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Rambling thought: some cultural taboos take a long time to change because they're not something society realizes should change. Not bragging about oneself brings to mind days where manners were emphasized to the point of excess. (Manners are great. Being polite is great. Following a bunch of trivial rules about holding teacups or setting tables because that's the only way to be a proper lady or gentleman and show to society that you're worth its acceptance annoys me.) While it's a lot more acceptable to talk about yourself proudly now than it was in the Victorian era, certain attitudes and mindsets still linger from our ancestors because we've never noticed how significant their impact is.

Personal note: I agree with the person who said context is important. I don't like myself most days. On the days I do, I tell my best friend, and he's always happy and supportive and right there with me because he knows how hard I find it to love and accept myself. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable posting it to the general masses because my fear of lack of appreciation/negative comments would be too great.
  • angelams1019
    Options

You're exactly right. When I posted the status I subjected myself to other people's opinions. I'm glad I did because I think regardless of your stance, its an interesting topic. Some of us will agree and some of us wont. Thats life! :smile:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I like myself a lot. I am pretty awesome and I don't care who knows that I know it. That's why my friends are all amazing people: they have to love themselves to not feel intimidated by my self-appreciation.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Your abs are hot!

that's either the right thing.....or the soooo very wrong thing to say....

good luck :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

-watchin from the sidelines

Is this better:

DIODELCIBO!!!! Abbi pietà di me!

:love: